It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 381
<< 378  379  380    382  383  384 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by JBA2848
promedmail

The mystery disease that has triggered panic in remote Gumda VDC
[village development committee area] for the past 2 weeks has been
identified. Health Minister Giriraj Mani Pokhrel arrived here on
Thursday [7 May 2009] along with a team of officials. He announced
that post-viral pneumonia led to the deaths of 13 villagers.

Dr Gunaraj Lohani, chief district health and medical superintendent,
said that so far, around 100 patients had been treated for the
outbreak. A majority of the patients are children.

Gumda VDC is located around 75 km from district headquarters. The
disease is spreading to adjoining Uhiya VDC as well.

You just have to wonder whats going on in Gumda.

Sounds like a little town in Mexico I heard of once. . .

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Archive Number 20090517.1846
Published Date 17-MAY-2009
Subject PRO/EDR> Pneumonia deaths - Nepal: (GO), RFI

PNEUMONIA DEATHS - NEPAL: (GORKHA), REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
A ProMED-mail post

ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases

Date: 8 May 2009
Source: The Himalayan Times via Masta.org [edited]

The mystery disease that has triggered panic in remote Gumda VDC
[village development committee area] for the past 2 weeks has been
identified. Health Minister Giriraj Mani Pokhrel arrived here on
Thursday [7 May 2009] along with a team of officials. He announced
that post-viral pneumonia led to the deaths of 13 villagers.

Dr Gunaraj Lohani, chief district health and medical superintendent,
said that so far, around 100 patients had been treated for the
outbreak. A majority of the patients are children.

Gumda VDC is located around 75 km from district headquarters. The
disease is spreading to adjoining Uhiya VDC as well.

--
Communicated by:
Michelle Sellors

The real crime of it is that's level 6 right there. Community level spread in another nation / continent other than North America.

Of course, if all the kids died of pneumonia but not the swine flu . . .

[edit on 17-5-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Sorry, URL issues - move along.

[edit on 17-5-2009 by ecoparity]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

I've just been looking at those, the 13 year old girl in Arlington especially.

If it was because of the Flu, i'd very much doubt they would mention it...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
QUEENS AST PRINCIPAL MITCHELL WEINER DEAD FROM SWINE FLU

This is just a small part from the NYPost article

We have been talking about this for weeks now.

The mayor's handling of the swine flu crisis drew criticism today from city comptroller Bill Thompson, who's running for mayor.
"We went from 'This is a crisis' to 'Don't pay attention' to 'OK, it's a crisis again,' " Thompson said.

This is gonna start coming back and smacking TPTB right in the face!!

Lets say its no big deal its just the flu and now people are starting to call them out on it.

Think they will raise it to Level 6 now? They should, but im guessing still that they are gonna try to shield the economy and not do it.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pcgeek

This is a good sign, that some are paying attention.

Lets hope more people start asking questions about the officials handling of this situation.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
New-Flu Infections Reach 129 In Japan, Aso Calls For Calm Response

TOKYO (Kyodo)-- The number of cases of new flu infections in Japan reached 129 as 33 more infections were confirmed, according to Kyodo News calculations.

Prime Minister Taro Aso called for calm Monday amid the rapid spread of a new influenza in Japan. As of the time he made the comments, 92 infections had been confirmed in the government's official tally.

Aso said the Japanese government has no plans to ask citizens to refrain from holding meetings or scale down corporate activity.

He made the remarks at a meeting of the government task force on the H1N1 influenza epidemic.

as a side note: I wonder if this is the reason the Japanese stock market is taking a dive on their Monday Opening. Down almost 265 points!! WOW!!

Will see if it recovers through out the day. Wonder if this will be a sign of what is to come in the USA because of this flu starting to hit home with people.

[edit on 5/17/2009 by pcgeek]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Sat May 16, 2009 8:20pm EDT Reuters...

WHO watching situation closely, but not yet ready to go to Level 6...

www.reuters.com...

"We are just watching the developments very carefully," acting assistant WHO Director-General Keiji Fukuda told reporters. Fukuda said it was not clear at this stage whether the outbreak in Japan would cause the WHO to declare a full pandemic.

The WHO, whose data lags national tallies, earlier put the number of confirmed worldwide cases at 8,451, with 72 deaths."

Well, we may be getting closer to pandemic 6.... I don't know how much longer WHO can deny it before it's an incredulous absurdity to hold back. There's no way to look at the incoming data of community spread happening now in several different regions and conclude anything other than the threshold for pandemic 6 has been crossed.

A/H1N1 is now spreading in cities and countries of very high population density. The real figures of casualties go way up because of the dense concentration of hosts but the figures reported in the media may be a few days old, suppressed, and a fraction of what's really out there.

Prediction... look for possible elevation by WHO to Phase 6 within three days from now. They will leave it up to the individual governments to take whatever action is deemed prudent. Media will cushion the blow very carefully by totally downplaying and really selling the "mild" word strongly (psy-op) so that there will be no panic. I think people will take the bait and laugh it off. They've been conditioned to blow it off for the last 10 days or so.

I still suspect that there are several virulent strains out there... perhaps 3 - 5 different viruses including A/H1N1. The timelines seem to be different and severity different for each of these... thus confusing test labs, scientists, doctors, the media and the public. I may be wrong, but multiple strains are what it all seems like.

I wonder if there are any published statistics on how many ventilators are available at all the hospitals combined in the USA? If there is a 20 - 30 day timeline becoming ripe for a crisis of hundreds of thousands of critical on ventilators, how many sick would cause ventilator use at 100% capacity?

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
If we could figure out approximately how many ventilators there are in the USA, we could use one of antmar's brilliant data charts (as follows) to project out on a calendar the approximate date when all ventilators would be in use at 100% capacity. It would be at that critical juncture when something akin to plague sweeps through the population.

stars to antmar for these most informative charts... please keep them coming...

WHO Data - ACTUAL - As of 06:00 GMT, 17 May 2009

Date - Confirmed - Deaths - (Countries) - Mortality%

27/04 - 73 - 7 - (4) - 9.59%
28/04 - 105 - 7 - (7) - 6.67%
29/04 - 148 - 8 - (9) - 5.41%
30/04 - 257 - 8 - (11) - 3.11%
01/05 - 367 - 10 - (13) - 2.72%
02/05 - 658 - 17 - (16) - 2.58%
03/05 - 898 - 20 - (18) - 2.23%
04/05 - 1085 - 26 - (21) - 2.40%
05/05 - 1490 - 30 - (21) - 2.01%
06/05 - 1893 - 31 - (23) - 1.64%
07/05 - 2371 - 44 - (24) - 1.86%
08/05 - 2500 - 44 - (25) - 1.76%
09/05 - 3440 - 48 - (29) - 1.40%
10/05 - 4379 - 49 - (29) - 1.12%
11/05 - 4694 - 53 - (30) - 1.13%
12/05 - 5251 - 61 - (30) - 1.16%
13/05 - 5728 - 61 - (33) - 1.06%
14/05 - 6497 - 65 - (33) - 1.00%
15/05 - 7520 - 65 - (34) - 0.86%
16/05 - 8451 - 72 - (36) - 0.85%
17/05 - 8480 - 72 - (39) - 0.85%

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
This is some excellent coverage of the swine flu, such that I haven't even watched the news since it first broke out.

If it really is as bad as we think it's getting, what worries me most is that a lot of my family and friends aren't even considering the danger this could pose. Especially since some of them have children or are sleeping sheeple (in fact, the other day a friend of mine said he wasn't going to worry about swine flu until his neighbors were dead from it).

Anyway, I decided to google pictures of the Swine Flu, looking for any humorous pics people may have made (like the ones posted much earlier in this thread). Instead, I came across this:

Big Pharma's Swine Flu Scam

Could it be the Shadow Powers are prepping us for forced mass vaccinations? Vaccinations that typically kill and maim more people than the disease itself, while making millions for the pharmceutical industry?

If I'm remembering correctly, the date of this article comes out long before Obama's intent of mandatory vaccinations? (Or was that just rumor?)

I'm trying to contribute, but you all seem to have the news outlets covered!

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

I'm curious if there are any Hudson-Alpha employees here reading the Swine Flu Threads? Or any laboratory employees for that matter!
My assumption would be that they have an exclusive online community where they discuss these matters privately, but it sure would be nice if someone would join the swine flu discussion. One employee with Hudson Alpha was given the task of developing the rapid flu test kit. Local newspaper and media both covered the story. I bet this scientist could give us a bit more about the swine flu than what we're reading on MSM.

blog.al.com...

Good night all, and my thoughts go out to all of those (known and unknown) who have lost loved ones in this pandemic (Yes, Pandemic!!!)

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
In response to the writer that said, "3 to 5 different flu" strains. Is that possible? Has that happened in the past? I don't know the history of the flu virus but I was wondering if it has ever had 3 to 5 different strains circling the globe at one time or is this an "odd" occurance, as in man-made?
Thank you!
MimiG

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I don't know if this has been posted yet.......

2 more cases of Swine Flu in WNY

News 4 has just learned that two new cases of Swine Flu have been confirmed in Erie County. According to the Erie County Health Department, one case has been confirmed in the Sweet Home Central School District. A specific school has not yet been released. An additional case has also been confirmed at Transit Middle School in the Williamsville School District. This is the second confirmed case at that school. Health officials say that student had a mild case of the H1N1 virus and is already back in school.

This article was from the 13th of May & I will admit I am now worried. I just got back from the ER with my better half. The doc said he has pneumonia. They asked about travel to Mexico when doing the intake & I really wanted to ask them to test him, but didn't want to sound like a loon to them.

I don't know if they will test his blood for swine flu, but I do know they drew a lot, and I mean A LOT of blood, during the visit. It is a small hospital & I doubt they can even do a regular flu test there, let alone a swine flu test.

My concern rest on the fact that he works in Erie County, within miles of the school that had two cases listed in the article.

Also, he is an extremely healthly person. He NEVER gets sick & in the 17 yrs we have been together, he has okayed an ER visit exactly once before tonight & that was for a broken bone.

I also fear that it is my fault. I traveled to NY City in Mid-March, came home sick & out of our family of five, my husband is the fourth to get whatever it was I brought back.

(PS-I'm sorry if this post seems disjointed, but I'll admit I'm really scared now. )

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lynn112

SO sorry to hear this and sending good thoughts and positive vibes your way in hopes he will heal well and soon!
Thanks for sharing what must be very hard for you.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Update from European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control... a complete breakdown of the current facts and figures coming out of Europe... (this is a pdf)... the maps are awesome...

ecdc.europa.eu...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Since I'm not likely to sleep tonight, I figured I'd post some articles that are newer. (hope they haven't been posted yet)

Japan swine flu cases surge, most are teenagers

TOKYO (AP) — A wave of new confirmations sent the number of swine flu cases in Japan soaring to more than 120, health officials said Monday, prompting the government to order the closure of schools and the cancellation of community events.

Developments on swine flu worldwide

By The Associated Press – 36 minutes ago

_Deaths: Global total of 76 — 68 in Mexico, six in U.S., one in Canada and one in Costa Rica. Officials said Canadian, U.S. and Costa Rican victims also had other medical conditions.

_Confirmed cases: WHO says 40 countries have reported more than 8,480 cases, mostly in U.S. and Mexico.

_CDC says 46 U.S. states plus District of Columbia have combined 4,714 confirmed and probable cases. Most probable cases are eventually confirmed.

_A high school assistant principal has become the first New York City death linked to the outbreak. He had been sick for nearly a week before his school was closed on Thursday.

_A wave of new confirmations sent the number of swine flu cases in Japan soaring to more than 120, health officials said, prompting the government to order the closure of schools and the cancelation of community events.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
And another one

Posted 7 minutes ago

Swine flu set to dominate WHO annual assembly

Experts have also expressed concern about possible mutation of the A(H1N1) virus that could make it more resistant to antiviral drugs such as Tamiflu and Relenza, which have been stockpiled by countries to treat severe flu.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by switching yard

Thanks for that link! Didn't anyone else notice the *** "NO UPDATES AVAILABLE! I think this alone speaks volumes. Maybe it's just a time zone difference, but maybe not. Maybe the USA is not releasing information to others.

P.S. I added the all caps for emphasis.

Also, to the previous post who's husband is sick: I wish your husband the best.

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Summary of the Current Situation

Up to 17 May 2009, 8.409 confirmed cases of the new virus influenza A (H1N1) infection, including 74 deaths, have been notified in 14 countries of the Americas: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Peru and the United States.

The date of the onset of symptoms of the first confirmed case was 28 March 2009 in the United States.

WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the Influenza
UPDATE from Pan American Health Organization 4 hours ago
(17 May 2009 7:00 PM CDT)...

"A(H1N1) virus. Individuals who are ill should delay travel plans and returning travelers who fall ill should seek appropriate medical care.

These recommendations are prudent measures which can limit the spread of many communicable diseases, including Influenza.

Until 23 h GMT; 18 h EST of 17 May 2009, the number of countries around the world with confirmed cases of influenza A (H1N1) increased to 40. In the Americas Region, Chile notified its first confirmed case. A 32 year old female patient that arrived from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic at 3:40 AM after switching airplanes in Panama. The patient is receiving the required health care and the measures required to halt outbreak are being taken.

In other Regions the countries with first confirmed cases are Malaysia (2); India (1) and Turkey (1)."

the link...

new.paho.org...

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Thank you 1curious1 & irishchic for the well wishes.

On topic, I'm now wondering if the hospitals are testing people without telling them. In my husbands case, the doctor seemed evasive on the cause of the pneumonia & the reasoning behind such a large blood draw. (Although i do admit I was too panicked to ask the questions I should of asked)

new topics

top topics

<< 378  379  380    382  383  384 >>

join