It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 278
<< 275  276  277    279  280  281 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redpillblues
reply to post by ecoparity

If you dont think an average caugh isnt enough worry to be protected,I suggest you watch this..

I must have missed the part where I said it wasn't. If you're standing close enough to someone who is infected and they cough into your face the odds are you are going to get sick. If you can't avoid being close to other people then you need a full on NBC mask because the surgical mask won't save you in that situation either.

The genetic analysis on this virus does show that it has certain oddities which make it more suitable for infection via the mouth and digestive system vs. respiratory. That doesn't mean it won't work at all via respiratory inhalation.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Ok I am going to try to post this for a second time...
It is important ...and they are working on the electric lines and I don't think my first post went through...

This is a big reason that the TPTB are acting freakish in my opinion...Link

www.myeyewitnessnews.com...

he Tennessee Department of Health has a stockpile of 839,000 Tamiflu and Tamivir antiviral courses, enough doses to cover 12 percent of the state population, said spokeswoman Andrea Turner. The federal government has set aside medicine to treat 15 percent of the population.

Together they give Tennessee enough antivirals to treat 27 percent of its people, exceeding the 25 percent level recommended by the federal government. An Associated Press review of state readiness found only 21 states were meeting that guideline

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

What about the other 73% of the people...???

The associated Press review of state of readiness found only 21 STATES WERE MEETING THAT GUIDELINE...

I guess that 21 states have up to 25% for their population and the rest of them have a lot less...??? (medicine)

If this gets full blown...There will Not be enough medicine to go around...

Then there is this...link

www.odt.co.nz...

wo New Zealanders expert in genetic shifts and mutations of influenza strains say there is a risk that the swine flu virus spreading out of Mexico may acquire resistance to Tamiflu.

Strains resistant to oseltamivir emerged in the Northern Hemisphere in January last year, and since then five viruses of the A/H1N1 strain had been detected in New Zealand patients, and reported to WHO.

According to the WHO, tests on H1N1 flu patients in 12 countries last year showed 31 percent had the H274Y mutation associated with Tamiflu resistance.

Southern Hemisphere incidence of the mutation in tests on the H1N1 virus ranged from 100 percent in South Africa to 13 percent in Chile.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would read the whole link if I were you to get a better understaning of what is being said...

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here is a Q&A with one of the SARS experts around. In it he says that the WHO should have raised the alert level sooner.

blogs.sciencemag.org...

Hong Kong—Yi Guan has plenty of experience at ground zero of an epidemic. In spring 2003, the virologist at Hong Kong University (HKU) isolated the SARS virus from masked palm civets in a wild animal market in China’s Guangdong Province. When the virus flared up again in late 2003, his team’s recommendation to slaughter all captive civets in the area may have been the key to stopping SARS in its tracks—the virus has not reemerged since.

Although SARS is his claim to fame, Guan has spent most of his career studying influenza after earning a Ph.D. on swine flu under eminent flu expert Robert Webster of St. Jude Children’s Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. He is currently collaborating with Webster’s group.

Guan has been highly critical of what he sees as WHO’s slow response to the H1N1 emergency. He took a break from marathon hours in the lab and 3 a.m. conference calls with U.S. colleagues to speak with ScienceInsider.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
# US, Illinois: Total confirmed case count statewide reaches nine. #swineflu6 minutes ago from web

# US, Illinois: Six more cases of influenza A (H1N1) confirmed statewide; new cases identified in Chicago, Kane, and McHenry. #swineflu7 minutes ago from web

# Mexico: Heath Ministry reports 137 new confirmed influenza A (H1N1) cases and one new fatal case; totals reach 727 cases and 26 deaths.9 minutes ago from web

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Are we at 6 yet? Also, what happened to the red banner with the number we were at? It's not ATS anymore. It was still here yesterday I thought.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
CDC says there are 286 H1N1 cases in the United States in 36 states.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
double post sorry

[edit on 4-5-2009 by jonny2410]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Before you all flame me, I read many differing sources of information.

I know Dan Burish leaves a bad taste in many people's mouths but the man is knowledgeable in virus stuff. He says that he sees no markers that would suggest any human manipulation of this virus. He doesn't think it will be like the Spanish Influenza.

Just another in the mass of opinions.

the-goldenthread.proboards.com...

just about half way down the page you will see his report in bold letters.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Its a sad fact of the situation....I am still not at that point yet,I havent got past just using common sense and handcleaner up to this point...I dont think I will make any transition till I go to mopp 4..total suit up..

heres a link to trainer manuals..look at the ones marked NBC
www.ssrsi.org...

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
CDC expert says H1N1 virus may be similar to seasonal flu

www.smartbrief.com...

The CDC is seeing "encouraging signs" that the H1N1 virus may be no more severe than the seasonal flu viruses that affect the country every year, said CDC Acting Director Dr. Richard Besser. Besser, however, clarified that U.S. health officials did not over-react by taking an aggressive approach in responding to the new virus. Reuters (05/03)

Swine flu starts to affect blood supply

www.smartbrief.com...

Heartland Blood Centers in Aurora, Ill., expressed concern over a possible shortage of blood during the summer months following the cancellation of some blood drives because of the swine flu outbreak. The blood supply of the American Red Cross currently is stable but could change "depending on how widespread the swine flu outbreak is," a regional agency spokesman said. Morris (Ill.) Daily Herald (05/01)

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Muppetus Galacticus

Since the one saying that is more severe is older, and the one saying it is more similar to the seasonal flu is newer, wouldn't we deduce that it is in face more similar to the seasonal flu, especially since that source cited a CDC official?

I mean, or not..

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Thanks for the link!
the re-combiníng with a Tamiflu-resistent strain of H1N1 with H5N1 is clearly the reason for all the monkey circus and high alert regarding this virus.

It depends on further mutations?

Y.G.: It depends on mutations and whether the virus further reassorts with other viruses—like H5N1. That could be a super nightmare for the whole world.

Q: You’re talking about the Armageddon virus?

Y.G.: The chance is very, very low that these two viruses will mix together, but we cannot rule out the possibility. Now, H5N1 is in more than 60 countries. It’s a panzootic, present everywhere except North America.

Q: If the nightmare comes true?

Y.G.: If that happens, I will retire immediately and lock myself in the P3 lab. H5N1 kills half the people it infects. Even if you inject yourself with a vaccine, it may be too late. Maybe in just a couple hours it takes your life.

blogs.sciencemag.org...

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Look I'm not here to argue with ya..But having been through NBC training,and having a mother who worked in a hospital in sterile procesing for 15 years I know about germs...standing down wind from a person with the flu you can ingest it into the respitory system..Yes you are correct about taking it into the eyes, but if you wear a full face respirator,and gloves and proform proper disrobing,and decon you are far,far more protected than some one without...

a germ can travel far more than 6 foot in a draft..Is it at that point were it is a concern,no not yet..

edit..and yes your mouth is part of your respitory system..maybe not to you,but it is..

[edit on 4-5-2009 by Redpillblues]

link   
# test Ho Chi Minh: Eight Passengers Arriving At Airport with High Body Temperatures Test Negative for Influenza A (H1N1): Date: Ma..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# test Illinois: Six More Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Confirmed; Nine Total: Date: May 04, 2009 15:13 UTC Risk: Low The Illinois Depar..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# test Mexico: One Additional Fatal Case and 137 Additional Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Confirmed: Date: May 04, 2009 15:09 UTC Ris..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# test United Kingdom: Health Protection Agency Confirms Nine New Cases of Influenza A (H1N1); Nationwide Tally at 27 Confirmed Cases: ..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

# test Mexico City: Government Announces that Restaurants, Libraries, Museums, and Religious Centers Will Reopen this Week : Date: ..2 minutes ago from twitterfeed

link   

In that article Yi Guan said that the risk of this virus merging with HN51 was "very very low". That's the first time I've heard someone specifically mention this possibility as being , in effect, remote.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Here is another viral expert talking on the subject. Richard Webby makes the claim that the whole thing originated from ducks before moving onto pigs and then humans.

businessmirror.com.ph...

PIGS are getting slaughtered to prevent the spread of a new strain of flu. Ducks and humans may be more to blame.

While the new H1N1 strain that threatens to spark a pandemic evolved in swine, its ancestors came from waterfowl, says Richard Webby, who has analyzed the virus’s genetic code.

Viruses that circulate in aquatic birds are the genetic ancestors of all pandemic-causing influenza, including the 1918 Spanish flu blamed for killing 50 million people, according to Webby, head of the World Health Organization (WHO) Collaborating Center in Memphis, Tennessee, that studies the ecology of influenza.

Pigs are a mixing vessel for human and bird-flu viruses because they are susceptible to both avian and mammalian strains.

“There is some quite good evidence that avian viruses get into swine barns through the practice of using pond water to wash down the barns,” said Webby, 38, who is also a virologist at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis.

Webby was one of the first scientists to comb through a database containing the genetic fingerprints of thousands of flu viruses to find the closest relatives of the strain that infected a 10-year-old boy in California last month and spread to almost 900 people in 18 countries. His search, completed during the past week, failed to identify an exact match, suggesting the emergence of a new virus to which people would have little or no immunity.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I'm slowly starting to wonder just WTF to think. Mission accomplished, media, CDC and WHO.

There have been indications from sources that there is something other than a "natural" outbreak from the start but with more and more first hand reports coming in and watching the actions being taken - one has to wonder.

I know there is a virus, people I know personally are sick with it right now and one of them is in pretty bad shape but the origin of that virus remains to be seen.

Keep your eyes and ears open, is what I'm saying. Unless people are willing to get out and around and take video cameras with them the "truth" will be delivered via TV and internet discussions. I've done some drive by investigating but starting tonight I plan to take a camera along and see what I can find.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by cosmicpixie

In that article Yi Guan said that the risk of this virus merging with HN51 was "very very low". That's the first time I've heard someone specifically mention this possibility as being , in effect, remote.

Yeah this was the first official source that confirmed what I suspected yesterday in my thread, to what could be the reason for all the fuzz & monkey circus alert!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

what did you see on your drive by's. do you live near where there are alot of supect and or confrimed cases.

posted on May, 4 2009 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I think its more likely that h1n1 is a catalyst, put out there to see what happens. Who knows. I do not think they know the possible outcomes of this, but i doubt it will go bad but who knows, and china is doing the right thing no matter what happens.

I think it was man made, and released just to see how it goes, but they have no real control over how it turns out now.

Personally i think swine is rubbish, and the prospects are rubbish it will do what they want.

new topics

top topics

<< 275  276  277    279  280  281 >>

join