It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 234
<< 231  232  233    235  236  237 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
From another forum:

Just heard it on the radio, there is some kind of meeting and depending on the results of swine flu tests ongoing in Spain, Britain, America, Hong Kong, South Korea & Germany we may goto level 6. If these are confirmed as new cases of the disease, then it's going to level 6. There are 600 (maybe more) tests going on.

They said "If the virus is adapting to different climates and can now move from person to person, this will become a global epidemic in less than 1 week. If nothing is done now, we may be too late to prevent further cases appearing".

BBC Radio something it was on.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
No, you won't see sick people in Mexico. You probably won't see sick people all over - this assumes they are outside walking around shopping and visiting friends.

The "mild" version of this flu knocks you on your arse. You don't see people with this flu walking around, and they probably aren't talking to people because they are at home in bed. From the stories of the people recovered, they only FELT like they were gonna die. Mac Truck Flu - hits you like a Mac Truck.

You aren't going to be seeing them walking around. They probably aren't going to be littering the hospitals - a good number of the people who've had it and talked say they were sicker than they have ever been in their lives and when someone called them/came to see them, their visitor told them to seek attention at the hospital.

Further, in a country as populous as Mexico and its major cities it would be very odd if even 10,000 known cases would make sure that everyone knew someone who is/was infected. The cases that are known will be clustered together in a 6 degrees of seperation sort of way.

Even in a regular flu season, not everyone gets it every year.

Because this flu knocks people on their butts, it is probable that the time that the virus is being spread is when the infected person is in the incubation period. They are infected, they are shedding the virus, but they aren't showing symptoms.

That's a pretty virulent form in my not so humble opinion. If most flus/colds transmit on coughs/sneezes, most of these people aren't out-and-about when they are coughing and sneezing with this one. That means that this thing is spreading around based on the pre-symptomatic phase. Since this virus apparently has a very short incubation phase for a flu, 2-5 days, that to me says it is very virulent.

A minor nudge in this flu to make it just bit longer incubating, or just a bit less like being hit by a Mac Truck so that people are more likely to be out and about even if they are sick.......THAT could make this virus totally out of control.

FURTHER - Most people aren't going to change their lives for anything. You just continue on with your life. Risk is an inherent consequence of being alive, and everyone bears it everyday. Most people are not going to bunker into their homes for a YEAR just for panic and safety. They may try a bit harder to not get sick, but they'll still live. And you would have to bunker in for a year or more because a pandemic is expected to come in several waves over spans of many months.

So, what is it you expect to see on the street? People being just a bit more cautious. That's about it.

[edit on 2009/5/2 by Aeons]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

good work..Nothing wrong with a lil ATS background checking

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
found this on the BBC: i find it particularly disturbing:

THURSDAY, 29 APRIL, UK

My partner and I returned to Birmingham from Cancun yesterday morning at 08:20am. There were no members of the health department there to meet us, over 400 people passed through without help or advise being offered.

We returned home to our seven-months-old daughter and in-laws. Last night we developed many of the symptoms listed.

I contacted the NHS Direct and after several hours we were asked to go to the hospital ourselves. We had to wait in A&E before being seen by doctors dressed in masks, aprons and gloves.

We have high temperatures over 38 degrees, aches, coughing and sneezing, diarrhoea and nausea. The hospital prescribed us both with Tamiflu and told us to drive to a chemist in Coventry, we waited for 15 minutes surrounded by other people before we had the Tamiflu.

The chemist informed us that they only had one dose available and that we would need to return the following day. This morning we were contacted by the HPA, we informed them of the situation and they told us that under no circumstances should we leave the house.

We are waiting the results now, we are very concerned about our daughter and family around us as it looks like we have now infected them.
Richard Cook, Nuneaton, UK

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by liveandlearn
reply to post by paxnatus

I think there is a fine line here that is not being understood. I quote from my first post below.

All known subtypes of influenza A viruses can be found in birds.

"Human influenza virus" usually refers to those subtypes that spread widely among humans. There are only four known A subtypes of influenza viruses (H1N1, H1N2, H3N2, and H7N2) currently circulating among humans.

There are many more avian viruses in birds that have not caused human infection so they don't generally cross over. But once they do they continue to resort and there is usually an influenza A (avian) virus in circulation each year of one of the known subtypes. While this one is H1N1 it is a totally different combination. Last year H3N2 and H7N2 were in the vaccine.

The H5N1 is in a phase of mutation but has not, and may never, become transmissible human to human. It has become the 5th avian influenza virus to cross species, it is just not efficient enough for human to human spread.

I don't think there is really disagreement here. I think I may not be explaining my point well.

From one Nurse to another, well done!! I totally agree and understand what you are saying. Thank you, for explaining so clearly. Your last post left me
a little puzzled. Your explanation was clear and concise, something I really appreciate.

On another note, I have family in Austin and heard that they are thinking about closing all the schools in the area. Have you heard anything like this?
Please stay safe and keep us abreast of the local situation.

Sincerely,
Paxnatus

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Quick head's up just in case this hasn't been in the new's where you guys are.
They are docking ALL the cruise ships at Peir 27 in San Fransico as they are NOT being allowed to go into Mexico at this time. There was mention on the news report that it may go on until JULY of this year! (They have no idea if it is solid yet)
Several people where out of sort's with it because the whole point was fun and sun and well it is raining here and cold.

One lady was very vocal and said that "the resort in porta viarta (sp?) had no reports of swine flu but they have had them here in San Fransico areas". They cut her off real fast and went to the mayor talking about how much money it is going to bring in; as the ship's have to pay close to 500 thousand just to dock there. Not to mention the money the tourist's from the ship's will be spending at local business's. They have three more ships coming in this weekend. I believe it was carnival and princess cruise line's. The people from the ship's head quarters said they are going to be offering the people a 50% future credit ,whatever that means.

I am finding it hard to believe that they would be forcing these ship's to dock here with close to 9,000 people coming into the city from them if there wasn't a problem over there in Mexico. (The one that they showed in an earlier day shot was hedged by tugs even though she had anchored.)

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
From the mayor of East Cleveland, Ohio:

First, notices will be posted at the entrance of every door banning anyone from entering a public building who exhibits flu-like symptoms
until further notice. Director Lockhart, I want you to instruct Walter Chappelle to ensure that maintenance workers wipe the railings leading
up and down stairs with alcohol at least twice daily. A copy of the notice is forthcoming. Post it immediately at the entrance of your
doors and at all public windows.

Second, I want Directors to instruct any employee with flu-like symptoms to return home. This includes Directors, Deputy Directors
and the Mayor. I will ask Judge Walker and Council to support this effort.

Employees can use their sick time. If they don't have it, they can use their vacation time. This is not optional but mandatory. No one has a right to spread a virus or disease to others.

www.cleveland.com...

[edit on 5/2/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

CDC provides recommendations for those who must travel to an area that has reported cases of swine flu, and recommends measures to take following return from an area that has reported cases of swine flu. The complete CDC notice can be found at the following link: www.cdc.gov... Please check this site frequently for updates..."

As a result of this advisory and in an abundance of caution, major cruise lines that we represent have stopped calling on ports in Mexico and have developed--or are developing--positions with regard to future calls at ports in Mexico, while the outbreak lasts.

These itinerary changes disrupt the vacation plans of guests, cost the cruise lines money and deal a harsh blow to anyone in Mexico who relies on tourists for their livelihood. Indeed, there are no winners in the swine flu outbreak, but canceling port calls in Mexico was absolutely necessary to ensure the safety of every passenger and crewmember and to combat the spread of the influenza.

No one knows how long this outbreak will take to run its course

Alan Fox
Chairman & CEO

Please e-mail me your comments, suggestions and questions at [email protected] and I will respond the same day.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR

Originally posted by irishchic
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The thread above,page two is interesting: someone from Mexico who will try to post on youtube tomorrow.
He basically says there is "little" going on in his area.

I'm thinking I don't trust this guy. In one of his posts he made a long time ago he writes
"
In my country I used to have very high level info, and I knew I have to keep my mouth shut, that's why I find "naive" for some ATS member to disbelieve that ordinary John Doe will keep its mouth shut and keep the government agenda safe."

Yet now he works at an apple store and is an admin of a auto website?

Sure its not much to go on but after reading through the guys posts he bashes ATS as a site alot and its mods. If he posts the video he should have a sign he holds up that has the date and hi to ATS. Then I will eat crow!

Could it be that this guy is from the upper level of society and nowadays he's a businessman & invested heavily in businesses located near the tourist spots of Northen Mexico or near Yucatán?

The business men located in tourists areas of Mexico are now bleeding a lot of money because of the flu-scare & the lack of tourists.

I am not saying this is the case with this guy? but!... if this is the case - then he have a personal agenda, trying to save his investments - which is understandable.

People! don't read too much into it - I was just thinking out loud!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

You know I have spent hours on end looking stuff up online in books and talking to people I know about this thing. The main problem we are finding is that SOMETHING IS MISSING in this equation!
Been back and forth over it and the small amount of information on this is just baffling to us. They are totally shutting thing's down all over the country and putting people into quarantine. Signs are going up all over at state and federal buildings about people and illness, yet still we have the 'it is mild'.
Now that it has been a few days we have some coming out of the wood work and flaming or saying it isn't as bad as they all say. Well guess what there is an element missing from what is going on that we haven't been told. It cost's shear MILLIONS to do what they are doing all over the USA. At a time when we are in a recession they are spending MILLIONS on preparedness and setting up temporary site's to treat people, moving anti viral stockpile's and breaking out the storages of medical supplies.
WE HAVE MISSED SOMETHING....can't make it any more plain than that. We DON"T have the money to play this if it is indeed a game. So the question still nags as to why they would be doing all of this if it is NO BIG DEAL. They aren't making money when you get down and do the math; they are losing their butts on this.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Is the dichotomy I suspect many here are feeling.

The WHO rapidly scale to level 5, world news coverage explodes, Gov reactions are significant (US school shut downs, Obama secures $1.5 billion, UK order 35m masks, send out millions of leaflets and launches TV campaigns, Australia pass emergency powers allowing detentions - the list goes on) yet we here (a) its not very virulent (b) its quite mild (c) its no big deal - - is it me or do others struggle with matching the rhetoric to the actions?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

He should post a link to the sites he runs that he was referring to also. And either way with your explanation he would be not telling the truth and it would mean you couldn't trust anything else either.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by meaguire

Yes I have seen the alert on the CDC site. (a few days ago actually)
Just telling the new's story was all. But I was just wondering why they are making them call here and not at other area's along the west coast where their is ample space and port. No biggie.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by xoxo stacie

Just telling the new's story was all. But I was just wondering why they are making them call here and not at other area's along the west coast where their is ample space and port. No biggie.

I'm probably trying to connect things that truly are separate, but remember immediately after Katrina, how they used cruise ships to house displaced people? That might be the answer to "why SF?" instead of another west coast port.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by Chevalerous

He should post a link to the sites he runs that he was referring to also. And either way with your explanation he would be not telling the truth and it would mean you couldn't trust anything else either.

Yeah! that was what I meant! maybe this guy has a personal interest to say that everything is fine?

Maybe he's also living in a nice expensive gated & closed community that has not been hit hard yet - nor has his friends or clientele?

Or maybe he's straight out lying?

You know what I mean?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I think I just got the answer to the SOMETHING MISSING with all of this flu news.
It ISN"T THE FLU IT"S SELF it is the SECONDARY INFECTIONS FROM IT!
Gawd i fell like an idiot. There was an article from a scientist about how they are waiting a week to 10 days to see where it goes blah blah blah. That is how long it would take them to amass a data base about the secondary infection's sprouting up from/over the inital virus. Yeah it may not be that bad of a virus BUT what is it opening the infected person up to catching or developing!
Normally a healthy person would be sick at least 7 days before being in a position to develope a bacterial or fungal infection as a result of the immune system being under fire. Now that this thing has been going around Mexico for over a month. From what we can gather it is COMING BACK at the place it started. At a harder rate than the first time. WHAT did it pick up to be able to come back on those who had it almost a month ago and recovered?
AAAAHAAAA

We know that most of the deaths so far in Mexico are from respatory distress. ( bacterial?) OR is there a secondary attacking once the flu has been contracted that they haven't released yet?
I vote that although this thing may be "mild" it is opening up an otherwise healthy person to a life threatening inblanace of the bacterial/fungal system in the body.

[edit on 2-5-2009 by xoxo stacie]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips

Originally posted by xoxo stacie

I'm probably trying to connect things that truly are separate, but remember immediately after Katrina, how they used cruise ships to house displaced people? That might be the answer to "why SF?" instead of another west coast port.

Or maybe Mexico is being targeted for economic collapse - easy access to oil?

Remember what the bird flu 'pandemic' did to the Asian tourist industry and economy

[edit on 2/5/09 by RogerT]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by IamNow
reply to post by Bombeni

Yes but only 12 of the 200 have been confirmed to have Swine Flu...

Sarcasm yes? You don't actually believe that do you? When the story started getting coverage around April 23 someone in the government who oversees health issues but not the health minister , came out and said " Children in the United States recovered from this illness, because children have a natural born immunity to the flu."

Basically he was downplaying the whole concept that Mexico even had a problem regarding the swine flu." He even said it is nothing more than the common cold. ( I will try and find article and post). I think everyone understands how corrupt government is in all countries to some extent. Mexico though, would be the leader of the pack. Definitely in the top 3.

While attention is focused on the swine flu and its possible ground zero of Mexico, did you know the Mexican authorities just arrested 12 of their own federal investigators? Why? Suspicion that they leaked info to hit men who then ambushed (murdered) 8 officers. The arrested/detained work for Mexico’s equivalent of our FBI. I know it is “fighting words” to describe Mexico as a “failed state” — but the internal war going on there has hit an all time high. This last ambush/murder was two weeks ago….yes, the President of Mexico is working hard but this problem is growing, not diminishing.

link[www.foxnews.com...]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by RogerT

Yes, I do believe that Mexico is being targetted.

And I don't believe that we are being told the truth.

So what else is new? The general populace is never told the truth, never has been, never will be.

There is something going on here that really stinks. I think it is divide and conquer. First, panic the people, then overrule them.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

That seems to be the consensus I'm seeing as well...

The NAU Flu it's self might not kill you, it's the secondary/tertiary attacks and infections on a already compromised immune system...

Not a nice thought...and there's still that 2nd/3rd mutation angle as well

top topics

<< 231  232  233    235  236  237 >>

join