It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 235
<< 232  233  234    236  237  238 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Remember what the bird flu 'pandemic' did to the Asian tourist industry and economy
RogerT

[edit on 2-5-2009 by meaguire]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I wish you guys could see what I see. Mexico is far from a failed state, there are problems in the border areas no doubt but all in all Mexico is not what you're seeing on your news. There are many cities that have a healthy, growing middle class. The city I live in is in the middle of a building boom. There's a pizza place across the street from the mall that's had help wanted signs up for weeks and still needs help. You are being lied to by the media. I will go next week and get you pictures of the out dated hospitals, over flowing emergency rooms, and failed economy - NOT. I will get you pictures but that isn't what you'll see.
Mexico wouldn't be the first country that was lied about so the states could invade. I don't know what's going on but my guess is it has to do with oil.
This flu may get worse with time when it mutates but as of now it's not as bad here as your being told.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:21 AM
link   
George Orwell can tell us all we need to know about Swine Flu.

We as modern day Human cowards have give away more within a decade, than it took for our suffering ancestors to gain in millions of years.

Our invisible rulers order this, and order that, then demand we give up our shoes and then our hats.

Prime beef, prime pork, prime human, it is all the same.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
I'm sorry I have to post this, although it's a little off topic.

A big hug for all my fellow ATS'ers from this Dutch girl who can't seem to find any suitable info on dutch websites. Thank you so much for keeping me and my family & friends informed!

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Update, this is what happened in the last 12 hours:

US, Washington, Spokane: County’s Second Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Identified in Son of County’s First Probable Case #swineflu
about 6 hours ago from web

US, Macomb County: Two Probable Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Detected #swineflu
about 7 hours ago from web

Australia, Victoria: Eight Suspected Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Under Investigation #swineflu

US, Michigan: Hillsdale: One Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Detected #swineflu

Australian Capital Territory: Six Suspected Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Under Investigation #swineflu

US, Michigan, Ottawa County: A Total of Ten Probable Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Detected #swineflu

US, Tennessee, Nashville: One More Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Registered; A Total of Two Cases at Harding Academy #swineflu

US, Texas: Fort Bend County: Four Probable Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Recorded #swineflu

US, Rhode Island, Providence: One Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Under Investigation #swineflu
about 8 hours ago from web

US, Massachusetts: CDC Confirms Influenza A (H1N1) in Coast Guard Lieutenant Stationed at Buzzards Bay, #swineflu

South Korea, Gyeonggi: First Influenza A (H1N1) Case Confirmed in 51-Year-Old Nun #swineflu

US, New York: Lewis County: One Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Tested at CDC #swineflu
about 9 hours ago from web

US, California: Salinas: One Probable Case of Influenza A (H1N1) Identified #swineflu
Russia, Moscow: Influenza A (H1
N1) Ruled Out In Two Hospitalized Females Who Had Recently Returned From New York. #swineflu #H1N1

Panama, Panama City: United States National Detained after “Escaping” from Hospital; Influenza A (H1N1) Testing Underway #swineflu

New Hampshire: Grafton County health officials announce 4th probable case of influenza A (H1N1) in the state.#swineflu #H1N1

Maryland: Laurel elementary school to close for two weeks after a probable case is identified. #swineflu #H1N1
about 10 hours ago from web

Massachusetts: Four additional cases of influenza A (H1N1) confirmed bringing state total to six. #swineflu
about 10 hours ago from web

Benin: Three Individuals Who Had Contact With Suspected Case Being Tested. #swineflu #H1N1
about 11 hours ago from web

Benin: One Suspected Influenza A (H1N1) Case Reported In An Expatriate Returning From Mexico. #swineflu

US, California: Health officials identify fifth probable influenza A (H1N1) case in a healthcare worker of Sacramento County. #swineflu

US, Delaware: Five new probable influenza A (H1N1) cases at the University of Delaware; total reaches 17 #swineflu

Brazil: Seven Suspected Cases Nationwide, Minas Gerais (3), São Paulo (2), Rio de Janeiro (1), Espírito Santo (1).#swineflu #H1N1

Brazil, São Paulo: Two Suspected Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Reported; Total of Seven Suspected Cases Nationwide. #swineflu #H1N1

Bolivia, La Paz: Three Suspected Influenza A (H1N1) Cases Dismissed in El Alto. #swineflu #H1N1

US, District of Columbia: Two George Washington University Students Under Investigation as Probable Influenza (H1N1) Cases #swineflu

US, Connecticut: CDC confirms the first influenza A (H1N1) case in a Stratford resident who had recently traveled to Mexico. #swineflu

Fiji: Two Suspected Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Ruled Out #swineflu #H1N1

Mexico, Mexico State: State Governor Confirms Total of Five Fatal Cases of Influenza A (H1N1)

Japan, Tokyo: Infant tests positive for influenza A (H1N1) upon arrival at airport from the US; infant and 14 passengers isolated. #swineflu

US, Massachusetts: Health authorities send sample from Framingham resident to CDC for testing. #swineflu
about 12 hours ago from web

UK, England, Bristol: School Closed, Students Being Monitored and Given Anti-Viral In Response Confirmed Case of Influenza A (H1N1)#swineflu

UK, Scotland, Ayrshire and Arran: 29 Possible Cases of Influenza A (H1N1) Under Investigation in Nine Health Board Jurisdictions #swineflu

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   

The 1957 pandemic had only a 0.1 per death rate but because it infected 30 to 70 per cent of the population it killed two million people worldwide. Seasonal flu infects up to 6 per cent of the population in an average year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Swine Flu: Health Warning

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Has anyone been listening to the recent alex jones stuff? He thinks its all a hoax for a martial law thing? What is going on with all these mixed reports. Does anyone know what the devil is going on. This crazy episode of "The Humans" is making my head spin. I think the the whole world is confused. What are those pesky puppeteers up to?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
ECDC (European Centre for Disease and Control) is reporting 15 reported cases in the United Kingdom, with another probable two and near 700 suspected cases

ECDE Report 2 May

[edit on 2-5-2009 by infinite]

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
ECDC (European Centre for Disease and Control) is reporting 15 reported cases in the United Kingdom, with another probable two and near 700 suspected cases

ECDE Report 2 May

[edit on 2-5-2009 by infinite]

Many thanks for the great work you're doing and thanks for the new ecdc report!

OK! As I understand it from reading all reports today, we now have 2 Who regions where confirmed person-to person flu exist!

(people that didn't travel to the American region)

According to the WHO that would mean a Level 6 Pandemic!

So why is it not official yet?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Source: Reuters
* HIV patients at high risk from flu, need antivirals most

* WHO fears complications if HIV and H1N1 viruses combine

is that possible? it combining with HIV?

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Persusing the mainstream news this morning I found this from msn (not msm) news. Obviously it could still turn really bad and who knows what's really true but certainly for the moment the message they are wanting to convey is that this virus isn't as bad as they feared and is not proving to be very hardy, creating only small clusters of outbreaks rather than running rampant.....so they say anyway....

Scientists looking closely at the H1N1 virus itself have found some encouraging news, said Nancy Cox, flu chief at the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Its genetic makeup doesn’t show specific traits that showed up in the 1918 pandemic virus, which killed about 40 million to 50 million people worldwide.

ARTICLE

The swine flu outbreak that has alarmed the world for a week now appears less ominous, with the virus showing little staying power in the hardest-hit cities and scientists suggesting it lacks the genetic fortitude of past killer bugs.

President Barack Obama even voiced hope Friday that it may turn out to be no more harmful than the average seasonal flu.

In New York City, which has the most confirmed swine flu cases in the U.S. with 50, swine flu has not spread far beyond cases linked to one Catholic school. In Mexico, the epicenter of the outbreak, very few relatives of flu victims seem to have caught it.

A flu expert said he sees no reason to believe the virus is particularly lethal. And a federal scientist said the germ’s genetic makeup lacks some traits seen in the deadly 1918 flu pandemic strain and the more recent killer bird flu.

Still, it was too soon to be certain what the swine flu virus will do. Experts say the only wise course is to prepare for the worst. But in a world that’s been rattled by the specter of a global pandemic, glimmers of hope were more than welcome Friday.

“It may turn out that H1N1 runs its course like ordinary flus, in which case we will have prepared and we won’t need all these preparations,” Obama said, using the flu’s scientific name.
The president stressed the government was still taking the virus very seriously, adding that even if this round turns out to be mild, the bug could return in a deadlier form during the next flu season.

New York officials said after a week of monitoring the disease that the city’s outbreak gives little sign of spreading beyond a few pockets or getting more dangerous.

All but two of the city’s confirmed cases so far involve people associated with the high school where the local outbreak began and where several students had recently returned from Mexico.
More than 1,000 students, parents and faculty there reported flu symptoms over just a few days last month. But since then, only a handful of new infections have been reported — only eight students since last Sunday.

'A relatively minor annoyance'
Almost everyone who became ill before then are either recovering or already well. The school, which was closed this past week, is scheduled to reopen Monday. No new confirmed cases were identified in the city on Friday, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the outbreak in New York had so far proved to be “a relatively minor annoyance.”
In Mexico, where swine flu has killed at least 16 people and the confirmed case count is nearing 400, the health secretary said few of the relatives of 86 suspected swine flu patients had caught the virus. Only four of the 219 relatives surveyed turned up as probable cases.

As recently as Wednesday, Mexican authorities said there were 168 suspected swine flu deaths in the country and almost 2,500 suspected cases. The officials have stopped updating that number and say those totals may have even been inflated.

Mexico shut down all but essential government services and private businesses Friday, the start of a five-day shutdown that includes a holiday weekend. Authorities there will use the break to determine whether emergency measures can be eased.

In the Mexican capital, there were no reports of deaths overnight — the first time that has happened since the emergency was declared a week ago, said Mayor Marcelo Ebrard.
“This isn’t to say we are lowering our guard or we think we no longer have problems,” Ebrard said. “But we’re moving in the right direction.”

The U.S. case count rose to 155 on Friday, based on federal and state counts, although state laboratory operators believe the number is higher because they are not testing all suspected cases.

Worldwide, the total confirmed cases neared 600, although that number is also believed to be much larger. Besides the U.S. and Mexico, the virus has been detected in Canada, New Zealand, China, Israel and eight European nations.

Article Continues..........

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

Two members of ATS have already made comments on this very matter. Can you source us a link?

A level 6 pandemic should occur. I've already witnessed pandemic procedures in my home city of Canterbury

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by jonny2410
Source: Reuters

is that possible? it combining with HIV?

Is there a link for that story?

It might be a bit irresponsible for the WHO to say something like that, wow. Might be possible, but hold the phone.

Oh wait, here we go...

www.alertnet.org...

HIV and the new flu strain could also mix together in a dangerous way, as has occurred with HIV and tuberculosis, the WHO said in guidance for health workers on its website.
"Although there are inadequate data to predict the impact of a possible human influenza pandemic on HIV-affected populations, interactions between HIV/AIDS and A(H1N1) influenza could be significant," it said.

Uh.... Uh, okay...

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

GENEVA, May 2 (Reuters) - People with HIV are at high risk from the new flu strain that the World Health Organisation said is on the verge of pandemic, the WHO said on Saturday.
The United Nations agency said people with immunodeficiency diseases -- including the AIDS virus -- will most likely be vulnerable to health complications from the H1N1 strain, as they are from regular seasonal flu.
HIV and the new flu strain could also mix together in a dangerous way, as has occurred with HIV and tuberculosis, the WHO said in guidance for health workers on its website.

Reuters

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
How interesting....

The Mexican government stopped reporting suspected cases and deaths on April 30, 2009.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:33 AM
link   
Before I even do my catch up reading this morning I had to first of all give a star and a thank you to Infinite! I want you to know how much I appreciate these constant updates of new and probable cases for all of us. One of the first posts I look for is your updates. I just wanted you to know how helpful that is and that your efforts are noticed and very much appreciated. red

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

GENEVA, May 2 (Reuters) - People with HIV are at high risk from the new flu strain that the World Health Organisation said is on the verge of pandemic, the WHO said on Saturday.
The United Nations agency said people with immunodeficiency diseases -- including the AIDS virus -- will most likely be vulnerable to health complications from the H1N1 strain, as they are from regular seasonal flu.

Reuters

yeah that was the link.. scary stuff

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

That would be sick. Airborne HIV? Can you believe that? Can you imagine what it would do to the birth rate if 30% of the population had HIV and was spreading it?

It would kill the birth rate... reducing the population.

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
an airbourne mix of H1N1 and aids/HIV would be an absolute disaster

posted on May, 2 2009 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I believe there has been a 39% increase of confirmed cases in Mexico, since yesterday.

top topics

<< 232  233  234    236  237  238 >>

join