It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 231
<< 228  229  230    232  233  234 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
White House says full pandemic "somewhat likely"

`I think it is somewhat likely that in the next few days that the WHO will raise their alert level. I think most people anticipate that,'' spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters at his daily briefing early today.

Worst case scenario: martial law, checkpoints, forced vaccinations, forced quarantine...

This could be bad. A lot of people, me included, will not accept any forced vaccination and will resist by force if necessary.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Washington Post: Obama calm as Biden panics

President Obama sought to assure a nervous nation Wednesday night that the H1N1 virus, the new strain of swine flu racing around the world, is "cause for deep concern but not panic." His calming words were trampled the next morning by Vice President Biden.

www.startribune.com...:_Yyc:aUU

--- Pro team running USA?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Portable device could be used to detect swine flu in minutes

SALT LAKE CITY -- A Utah company has petitioned the federal government, offering its new portable pathogen detector to identify H1N1 virus infections within minutes instead of days.

The device can be taken anywhere it's needed and uses the organism's genetic footprint to make the diagnosis.

Tracking the H1N1 virus quickly is what it's all about. That's what the DXNA company in Utah is offering to the government for use in the current outbreak of swine flu.

www.ksl.com...

- That was fast, uh?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by JanusFIN

Yeah same thing Obama laughing on TV while the economy is collapsing and he's giving trillions to the banks. Same thing here.

They say don't panic but at the same time, the media are making it WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE and they are almost at martial law.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I have thought about this. I am usually in a position to give flu shots for those who request it. For myself, I would sign the paper, draw up saline and ask someone to give me the shot while having a vial of vaccine sitting near.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
ALERT!!!!!!!!!

Eds: APNewsNow. Will be led. Lingle: WHO discussing raising alert to level 6 (Curios that Hawaii gov is saying that) this weekend

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by liveandlearn

Originally posted by liveandlearn

I have thought about this. I am usually in a position to give flu shots for those who request it. For myself, I would sign the paper, draw up saline and ask someone to give me the shot while having a vial of vaccine sitting near.

but u would get the shot first since you are in the position to give it to others. how long would you expect to live if you are taking something you would help others avoid because they fear it would make them die?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Does anyone here personally know anyone who's died from this flu or even complications of? I'm in Mexico and have burned up the phone lines trying to find anyone who personally knows anyone who's died from this flu and I've not had any luck.

Does anyone personally know of anyone with the flu? Maybe this whole flu scare is to keep us occupied. Are we missing something else?

Something's just not right here.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
One case at Ohio State University, student population of 48511.
SOURCE

[edit on 1-5-2009 by FlyingHigh404]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   

I am trying to find the source for this, do you have a link you can give us? I tried searching and I'm not turning anything up. :\

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by niteboy82

I've only found it on Twitter.

But we already know they want it at Level 6, but they want it seriously this weekend.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by 13Etznab

Originally posted by 13Etznab

After 28 days, 2012 cases?

2012... realy? wow... what a coincidence...

28days later
www.imdb.com...

Four weeks after a mysterious, incurable virus spreads throughout the UK, a handful of survivors try to find sanctuary

2012 cases
the nwo loves numbers

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Thanks.

Yeah, I have been acting upon the assumption that it would be called over the weekend all day today. Took off of work early to get some stuff done.

May as well share while I'm here, I suppose. I went to WalMart (gag) to pick up a bunch of last minute extras. They were extremely low on bottled water, no masks, no hand sanitizer, they had a big display selling Visquine (
) but no one seemed to be panicking.

If they call a Level 6 and the government starts doing things, that will change.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Dr Doug Quarry, medical director, Pandemic Preparedness with International SOS, which has been providing great updates on the crisis so far. This is what he has to say:

"Swine flu is a mild or moderate disease, the minimum death rate is thought to be 0.1% of those infected."

www.guardian.co.uk...

It is common to encounter clinical attack rate ranges for seasonal flu of 5% to 15% in the literature. For pandemic flu, clinical attack rates are reported in the range of 25% to 50%.

During a typical year in the United States, 30,000 to 50,000 persons die as a result of influenza viral infection. Frequently cited numbers are 20,000 deaths each year, and 37,000 annual deaths. About 5-10% of hospitalizations for influenza lead to fatal outcome in adults.

www.globalsecurity.org...

Influenza kills many people every year, the reason it is not stated as a pandemic is due to being different strains of the virus.

We have a pandemic currently due to the same strain being reported in more than two WHO countries Though this does not neccesarily mean the mortality rate will be higher than the seasonal flu.

[edit on 1-5-2009 by meaguire]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   

That video looked like the best case scenario, perhaps they need to reprogram their exponential algorithm!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I haven't been in a dollar store in ages, but it seems that they have an inordinant amount of hand sanitizer in stock. Either they always have a huge supply of it, or they were aware there'd be a huge need right now. Either way, I went into one after finding the shelves at Wegmans and Walmart empty of it. Anyway, I picked up three bottles (one for my desk at work, one for the car, and one for home.)

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by elitegamer23

I think you misunderstood. I would not take the shot. Saline is sterile salt water. I would give the flu shot only to those who request it as part of my job. I choose not to have it for myself but I would be expected to take it. Don't know another way to get around it other than to fake it...that is if it were mandatory.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Reuters: Mexico Health Ministry says reduces estimation of deaths from new flu virus to as many as 101 people from 176

hummmm...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
When discussing mortality of this virus, what people are missing is the rapid spread of this bug and our general lack of immunity to it. I know that year in and year out, when flu season rolls around, generally I don't catch it (and I don't get the shot.) I also know that I'm not alone, and most people don't get it. With this thing, is seems that all you need to have done is visit Mexico in the last couple of weeks and you're infected. This bug seems extremely virulent. Even if it only kills 1%, and is much, much lower a death rate than the regular flu, it doesn't mean that the total NUMBERS won't be very, very high. The low rate, while a blessing, means less and less as the numbers of infected grow greater and greater.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 13Etznab

Reuters: Mexico Health Ministry says reduces estimation of deaths from new flu virus to as many as 101 people from 176

hummmm...

Are they playing with definitions and splitting hairs here? If I have the flu, but I die of pneumonia, is that classified as a H1N1 death or a pneumonia death? I'm guessing the latter right now.

new topics

top topics

<< 228  229  230    232  233  234 >>

join