It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 227
<< 224  225  226    228  229  230 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
H1N1 gene sequence now available online:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Make any sense to anyone?

I'll have to look for other sequences to compare (1918 virus, H3N1, H5N1) and post them later. Gotta go out for a bit right now.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Took son to Pediatrician today for an Ear Ache, they had to swab him with a q-tips with a plastic shroud in his nose and test him for Swine Flu. NY State health Department said it mandatory that any patient that comes to the office with only one of the Swine Symptoms have to be Swab. Luckily he tested negative. They also had me sign a form acknowledging the procedure and test!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

hmmm to be able to work that out, wish i tried harder in school

[edit on 1-5-2009 by binkatonka]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mtnet2000
Took son to Pediatrician today for an Ear Ache, they had to swab him with a q-tips with a plastic shroud in his nose and test him for Swine Flu. NY State health Department said it mandatory that any patient that comes to the office with only one of the Swine Symptoms have to be Swab. Luckily he tested negative. They also had me sign a form acknowledging the procedure and test!

i thought the test took 24+ hours to confirm ?

[edit on 1-5-2009 by binkatonka]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It's a simple swab test for Influenza A/B Antigen Detection, they just called us and said it was negative, so I'm relieved! We went to the Dr this morning at 7:00 so I don't know about the 24hour test thing... I know when they check him for strep the have this machine that can tell within the hour in the office...

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator
I guess this makes more sense now.
Makes you wonder if they were expecting it
www.abovetopsecret.com...

So I work at yyc airport and I have a flight to work.
There I am waiting at the gate, all of a sudden fire department and ema show up and we are told nobody gets of and nobody gets on.
Apparently there are people on the plane that are violently il
And a weird rash has broken out amongst them.
This isn't in the news yet but I thought my fellow ats members

It says in that thread that you found out it was a bug bit and a hypochondriac stewardess. Or are you referring to the Pakistani person?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I have been babysitting today so was away. So much going on.

As much as some people hate the friend of a friend stuff, I feel this is important. So..my best friend has a close friend that I know casually, but have given her a couple readings so I know she is of a good character.

She is some sort of VP at a local utility company and called my best friend this morning. This was their second Pandemic meeting and they were told to expect travel restrictions and for the state to shut down for a week to ten days sometime this month with the soonest being in 7 days. She said that they were told to have at least a weeks supply of everything on hand as travel would be restricted and no one was getting out. They are working on a way to keep things moving with a skeleton staff, expecting large numbers of employees unable to get to work due to illness or the shut down.

I am so glad to have finally heard something like this around here. The way the County Executive and Health Director were hedging yesterday this does not surprise me in the least. NOT AT ALL.

I have noticed all day they keep siting some low number of deaths in Mexico too like ten or something. They are likely talking about new deaths but the way it sounds to a casual listener......nothing is done that is not for a purpose.

I just want to know the real numbers, but with pneumonia being so often the cause of death from these flu's I doubt we will have a clue until this is really bad. I just pray it is not going to hurt alot of people, it is already painfully obvious that most of us are going to get this.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

A second person in the UK has caught swine flu without having visited Mexico, tests have confirmed. The news follows the case of Graeme Pacitti from Falkirk, who was infected after contact with the first Britons to develop the flu, Iain and Dawn Askham. The UK's second "onward transmission" case is thought to be a man in his early 40s from South Gloucestershire Meanwhile, a new case of swine flu has been announced in South-East England, bringing the UK total to 13.
news.bbc.co.uk...

And so it progresses

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

As of: May 1, 2009; 3 p.m.
Tarrant County Public Health, in cooperation with other local, state and federal health agencies, continues to monitor, investigate, contain and stop the spread of H1N1 (swine) flu in the county. To date there are still 5 confirmed cases but 18 new probable cases of H1N1 (swine) flu. There have been 2 hospitalizations but no deaths reported. All cases are recovering well.

Confirmed Case Information: No change from 4/30/09
• 2 locations: Euless (2 confirmed cases), Fort Worth (3 confirmed cases)
• Age range: 11 months to 37 years
• Onset of illness dates range from: 04/20/09 through 04/26/09
• 2 school with confirmed case (FWISD – McLean Middle School and Shannon Learning Center in Birdville Independent School District)
• None have travel history to Mexico
• 2 confirmed cases are mother and son

Probable Case Information:
• 4 locations: Arlington (1), Bedford (1), Fort Worth (14), Grand Prairie (1)
• Age range: 3 months to 41 years
• Onset of Illness dates range from: 04/24/09 through 04/28/09
• 11 schools with probable cases (8 in FWISD, 1 in Arlington ISD, 1 in Everman Independent School District and 1 at Fort Worth Can Academy in River Oaks)
o Clayton Elementary (1)
o Knox Elementary (1 – Arlington ISD)
o Nash Elementary (1)
o Meadowbrook Elementary (1)
o Riverside ALC (1) o Springdale Elementary (1)
o Westcliff Elementary (1)
o McLean 6th Grade Center (1)
o Arlington Heights (1)
o Everman High School (1)
o Fort Worth Can Academy (1)
• No probable cases with travel history to Mexico
• 2 of the 18 probables are related – brother and sister
• 1 probable is still pending investigation

I saw a headline somewhere, can't find it now, saying Tarrant County Public Health would try to be more forthcoming with information to the public. HA! guess they haven't gotten the message from CDC yet or they are defying them.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Two questions have come to mind whilst reading the previous posts.

One is the possibility of this H1N1 mutating. As i understand the flu virus is pretty much the whore of viruses, once it meets another they will take the most efficient parts of both viruses in terms of transmission and mutate (this does not always mean lethality as a virus that kills its host is not effective for its survival)

The other one is the story about mexico that was running before this little spat.....failed state.....on the brink....drug wars. What happened to that? and will the US have to wade into its neighbour to save it and look after its own security? No disrespect to the US and their previous military expedititions but dealing with a few errant drug cartells should be easier, more successfull and good for morral (presidential ratings) than taking on the islamic militants?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Safeguarding our community’s health health.tarrantcounty.com... As of: May 1, 2009 Birdville Independent School District closes school

Tarrant County Public Health recommends closing because of confirmed case Shannon Learning Center in the Birdville Independent School District will be closed - effective immediately - based on a confirmed case that was reported earlier today as one of 5 new confirmed cases of H1N1 (swine) flu in Tarrant County. The confirmed case is an employee at the school. Investigation and medication of all close contacts is in progress.

from TCHD website

Thought it was interesting that they are investigating close contacts and giving medication. Seems some areas are too overwhelmed or maybe just lax...I dunno. There sure seems to be some hugh differences in the transparency. So, when it changes here we'll know for sure somethings up. Probably just a matter of time.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien

A second person in the UK has caught swine flu without having visited Mexico, tests have confirmed. The news follows the case of Graeme Pacitti from Falkirk, who was infected after contact with the first Britons to develop the flu, Iain and Dawn Askham. The UK's second "onward transmission" case is thought to be a man in his early 40s from South Gloucestershire Meanwhile, a new case of swine flu has been announced in South-East England, bringing the UK total to 13.
news.bbc.co.uk...

And so it progresses

Is it just me or does anyone else feel a level 6 breaking, i mean didnt they say that human to human infections would result in Pandemic mode?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Ignorance Denied

I think it says "sustained"......which it is looking like, however all cases are mild so im not sure if that has an influence

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
What the H*ll is this about...

So the CDC is actually telling you to....

(under the section "What You Can Do to Stay Healthy"..)

This should include storing a supply of food, medicines, facemasks, alcohol-based hand rubs and other essential supplies.

go out and get this while it's availble 'cause we don't know were this is going......

hmmmm, are they trying to tell us something without trying to cause a panic??

Oh boy, it's just one of those 48Hr ATS weekends again. My wife is gonna kill me. We've just had North Korea and i promissed i would cut down. Oh well, guess i'll make some coffee and read with must interest.

Keep it up people!!!!

Peace

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
lmao the wife wont be happy

i am too enjoying the threads and i agree its one of those weekends

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
this thing is going to become resistant to tamiflu soon, we seem to be relying on it far too much.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by blackrabbit1

I was listening to the conference this morning and they said it isn't the severity it is how far it has spread. (different WHO regions etc.)
They claimed to have only had confirmation of human to human transfer in the USA and Mexico as of the time of the conference which is total bullpucky! They know it is already over in the EU nations and has been human to human there too. They are/where most likely waiting for the markets to close as usual before telling everyone it is really a six like they have told most states here in the USA.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by parrallel
Has anybody actualy done the math on this thing?
This guy has and its scary!
www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=459892

I find this interesting and believable with a few hurdles like country borders and separated communities added in to slow it down just a touch.

What strikes me about this is that there is no-way we would know when this really starts to happen. We're gonna know when it gets to a stage when they can't take anymore volume of samples but after that we'll be in the dark as to how many more people it is effecting.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Influenza A(H1N1) - update 8.1

1 May 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve. As of 23:30 GMT, 1 May 2009, 13 countries have officially reported 367 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

The United States Government has reported 141 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Mexico has reported 156 confirmed human cases of infection, including nine deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (34), China, Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region (1), Denmark (1), Germany (4), Israel (2), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (4), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (8).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

I would guess your right about the markets. I would guss there is alot of backroom deals going on as the rich countries like the US and UK pay for the WHO are the ones with most to loose from the economic effects of a big outbreak

top topics

<< 224  225  226    228  229  230 >>

join