It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 229
<< 226  227  228    230  231  232 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Just order a mask from an army surplus place. You can get the flu through the liquid in your eyes even.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

If you were an investigative journalist would you want to approach known infected people, or visit known high infection areas to do interviews or reports?

It is possible that the reason we are not seeing this is because no one wants to "go there"

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
here are two suspicious deaths in my opinion...

Nora O'Brien, a vice president of drama programming for NBC Universal, passed away this Wednesday night after she collapsed during a basketball game on set while on location in Berkeley, where a pilot TV series was being filmed. The crew was in town working on a pilot titled Parenthood. based on the '80s movie. And O'Brien, who was 44-years-old, was playing a basketball game with her co-workers when she started complaining about feeling dizzy and collapsed at 9:20pm. Then, just before 10pm that night, she passed away at a local hospital. Paramedics performed CPR on her when they arrived on set but it didn't help. Marin County Coroner Ken Holmes reveals that "She had just shot a basket and ran off the court complaining of feeling dizzy." That's when she "fell backward and that was it."

He added that Nora didn't have any history of health problems, but did conclude that he believes she didn't die from her fall.

www.mercurynews.com...

It's a sad day for everyone in Las Vegas. The Man of Many Voices, Danny Gans, has suddenly passed away. Gans, who was 52-years-old, has been a legend in Vegas for years and years as a singer, musical impressionist, and comedian. He was also named Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year a record 11-times in a row! Sources report the police were called around 3:30am because he was having problems breathing. But, by the time help arrived, he had passed away. Everyone at Wynn's Encore hotel in Vegas, where Gans had a $150 million contract, is "shocked and upset" at his passing.

www.lvrj.com...

[edit on 1-5-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

very good point..im making a mental note of that...You would think the over reactors at fox would be on them like a leach..

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Here's a link to the swine flu victim Anderson Cooper interviewed. Her name is Arianna Anastos:
sidebar.cnn.com...

So they are "going there".

[edit on 1-5-2009 by jane_of_CA]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
www.cdc.gov...

The CDC is lying to us. Look at the graph on the right reguarding confirmed cases. They don't even have Georgia listed and the graph was supposedly updated today.

The CDC confirmed yesterday that a woman in LaGrange GA has been diagnosed with H1N1 after returning from a trip from Cancun. She then went shopping sick in a mall in Atlanta.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
New Mexico: 5 more probable swine flu cases

The state Health Department reports five more probable cases of swine flu in New Mexico, bringing the statewide total to nine probable cases.

The latest probable cases reported Friday are in Eddy, Hidalgo, Valencia and Bernalillo counties.

The Health Department says it has not heard from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention about two probable cases it sent Wednesday to be tested.

None of New Mexico's cases have been confirmed to be the H1N1 virus.

Among the new cases are a 17-year-old girl and a 22-year-old woman in Eddy County, a 17-year-old boy in Hidalgo County, a 15-year-old girl in Valencia County and a 27-year-old man in Bernalillo County.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
brazilian media is reporting that people coming in flights from Mexico to Brazil are not being inspected or anything when leaving Mexico (some had to answer a few questions in a form, and that is all. any person could lie when filling out the form). no monitoring machines installed yet. after arriving in brazil, situation is even worse, no forms, also no machines checking for possible fever, no inspections, no anything, when entering the country

[edit on 1-5-2009 by aramaki]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

There have been more than 200 cases of swine flu reported in the United States and one death. The Centers for Disease Control had confirmed 201 cases Friday afternoon. A large number of patients have underlying conditions which would predispose them to seasonal flu, the CDC said. The CDC confirmed 29 cases of swine flu in Texas as of Friday afternoon. The count includes the Mexico City boy who died in Houston. There are 14 confirmed cases in North Texas.
nbcdfw

So I guess the case count has been raised since the last official update. Wonder where they are getting their info.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
But these cases of survivors are only presented through the news. I'm talking about people who have had this, discussing it on their own on the net.

I'm suspicious right now, because they said there was a possible case in an area of Idaho where I have a great deal of friends and family. And they all know one another in the area, and no one knows who the news is referring to as this possible case and I find that really bizarre.

I'm not out to discredit people who have this, I'm just trying to figure out why survivors aren't discussing this on their own outside of the news. None have a computer? None use any internet? None have families that get online or blog?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

CDC official: 1st step in developing a swine flu 'going quite well'
Posted 50m ago | Comment | Recommend 1 E-mail | Save | Print | Reprints & Permissions | Subscribe to stories like this
An image taken through a microscope shows the H1N1 strain, also known as swine flu. U.S. scientists are working on developing a vaccine for the virus.
Enlarge image Enlarge CDC
An image taken through a microscope shows the H1N1 strain, also known as swine flu. U.S. scientists are working on developing a vaccine for the virus.

SWINE FLU: H1N1 VIRUS
Interactive map: Cases, precautions across the globe and within the USA
Photos: People worldwide try to protect themselves | Videos: Swine flu news | Info
Q&A: Symptoms, how it differs from bird flu, how to fight it | Handwashing 101: 3 steps
Your Health: Preparing for a pandemic | Easing kids' fears | Vaccine: Could take months
Travel: FAQ | Biden vs. airlines | Woman from cruise has it
Twitter: Follow updates, take polls @USATODAYhealth | Web traffic gone hog wild
Tips for businesses, effects in Mexico

o Yahoo! Buzz
o Digg
o Newsvine
o Reddit
o Facebook
o What's this?

By Rita Rubin, USA TODAY
So far, all of the swine flu viruses isolated from infected people have been virtually identical, which should simplify the development of a vaccine, an official from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

"We are aggressively taking the very early steps that are necessary for vaccine manufacture should a decision be made to go ahead and ramp up for full-scale production," Nancy Cox, chief of the influenza branch at the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said at a CDC press briefing.

INTERACTIVE MAP: Track swine flu around the world, within the USA
VIDEO: Despite swine flu, buses roll across border
Q&A: Answers to common, reader questions on H1N1 transmission, treatment

It takes months to develop and manufacture flu vaccine, so scientists have commenced working on one even though it's not yet clear who, if anyone, should be immunized.

"It's the right time," said Anne Schuchat, interim deputy director for the CDC's Science and Public Health Program, "because we won't have one if we don't talk about it now."
FIND MORE STORIES IN: United States | Pennsylvania | GlaxoSmithKline | Centers for Disease Control and Prevention | Swine flu | Northern Hemisphere | Southern Hemisphere | Sanofi Pasteur | Louis Pasteur

Viruses used in flu vaccines are grown in eggs. The first step toward a swine flu, or H1N1, vaccine is to grow enough of the virus, Cox said. To do that, scientists are combining genes from viruses known to grow well in eggs with H1N1, ending up with a high-growth virus that has H1N1 antigens, or proteins, on its surface.

"That process is going quite well," Cox said. "If the virus cooperates and grows well, we will soon be able to distribute a candidate vaccine virus to the manufacturers," probably in about three weeks. Manufacturers then will need eight to 10 weeks to produce pilot vaccine lots, which will be used to determine what dose is need to produce an adequate antibody respone in humans, she said.

A question "that's been on the minds of many" is whether manufacturers will be able to make sufficient numbers of doses of both seasonal flu vaccine and an H1N1 vaccine, Cox said. Each year, seasonal flu kills tens of thousands of Americans.

"The seasonal vaccine, as you know, is an extremely important tool," she said. Already, Cox said, manufacturers have produced a "great deal" of seasonal flu vaccine for the upcoming season, although some are further ahead than others.

"It's not an either/or situation," said Donna Cary, a spokeswoman for Sanofi Pasteur, which this past season made 50 million flu vaccine doses — 45% of the U.S. supply.

Sanofi Pasteur has a brand-new plant next to its older plant in Swiftwater, Pa., Cary said. Once the new plant was fully licensed, the company was going to shut it down for renovations, readying it for the possibility of a pandemic, she said.

But, Cox said, it could be used immediately for the manufacture of an H1N1 vaccine if necessary.

Sanofi Pasteur is in "constant contact" with federal public health officials, Cary said. "They haven't told us to do anything definitely yet."

Kevin Colgan, a spokesman for GlaxoSmithKline, said, "Until the health authorities determine the type of vaccine that's necessary, it's impossible to speculate how it will affect our seasonal flu vaccine production."

In a press release today, Colgan's company noted that the company "is continuing to produce and maximize supply of its seasonal influenza vaccine for use in the Southern hemisphere, as it enters the winter season, and for the Northern hemisphere later this year."

Interesting read... at least it sounds positive, right?
At least for those who are looking forward to a vaccine. For that... I have no opinion at the present. As long as I still have a choice, that is.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
The CDC is lying to us. Look at the graph on the right reguarding confirmed cases. They don't even have Georgia listed and the graph was supposedly updated today.

TV News reports ...

They aren't testing all swine flu cases

So how are we to see real numbers if they aren't even testing the hundreds upon hundreds of people showing up sick at clinics and hospitals?

It's much bigger then the news can report because they aren't testing.

[edit on 5/1/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by tiger28
my child just showed me an 'important' note from school-

We got one of those today. Know what it said? NOTHING. It was just that this is to be treated like the regular flu season .. wash your hands and don't come to school if you are sick.

WTF???

There was NOTHING on them monitoring the situation or on any plans in case of Swine Flu in the schools.

:shk:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I think it is crazy that world governments are downplaying this,this is an unknown virus!! i mean who knows what the long-term effects of this virus is? perhaps it is a primer for an even more deadly outbreak? a lot of questions have to be answered before i roll over and believe what they are spewing,basically "Face it people,we are all going to get this,cough into your sleeve please" bs ,and just to save people from hysteria and already fractured economy
,it is almost time to get the f out of dodge if you ask me!

[edit on 1-5-2009 by all2human]

[edit on 1-5-2009 by all2human]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It absolutely disgusts me.

They aren't going to test everything, we won't get the real numbers of how many there are out there, and we get these patronizing notices telling us what we already know which generally sum up to washing our hands and not coughing on each other.

The real numbers would create a panic, but there is going to be a panic in one form or another anyhow.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by all2human

Get back to us when the death toll is in the hundreds of thousands. sheesh!

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
they aren't going to test everyone because now the CDC is being overwhelmed, also they don't want the public to know the true rate of infection.

This is much bigger then we are seeing. Everyone I know, INCLUDING Alex Jones now says this is a hoax and is being blown out of proportion.

This isn't a hoax, this is a new virus, and will mutate. We don't even know the rate of death yet, but I guarantee it is more then one in the USA.

I believe this is going to get very bad very quickly, and catch people by surprise. Most people are thinking about how rare it is right now, just give it 2-3 weeks. This is highly contagious.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Assuming there is no foul play

I am geussing the gumbit is looking to the future of this unknown virus..My opinion is that as it stands now we do not have a natural immunity to this thing..They are letting ''the horse run free'' to get everyone inffected to build an immunity in the populous..While it sounds a bit harsh,if 2-5% of the populous get sick enough to die from it,its an exceptable number to gain the much needed immunity to this new virus..if this is going to be a non stop evoling ''new typical flu'' i geuss in a way it makes sence..we cant have the pandemic level jumped to 5 every year..

But thats just my opinion if this pandemic is 100% legit..
But there are many,many things That sway me to think other wise..

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
and the reason for the raising of the pandemic level is to have precautions and measures already in place just incase the swine flu,suddenly evolves in to a swine avian what ever flu that is a true man killer..That is the only thing I can see for all of the hub bub and what not..if this flu turned deadly,we have already seen how quickly it can spread..mean wile the have to take into account the worlds economys..hence keeping the borders open and trade routes..

again assuming this is all legit..

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
the panic seems to be under control now (just see the volume of tweets on swine flu). this seems to be result of cooperation between the WHO, CDC and the media. maybe this "vaccine is near" stuff being told is pure disinformation, to calm down people

new topics

top topics

<< 226  227  228    230  231  232 >>

join