It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 224
<< 221  222  223    225  226  227 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I understand your apprehension but the article is from a Canadian newspaper.
He's basically been posting mainstream news stories lately.

SMR

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I just wanted to point out that masks are NOT the only precaution everyone should be using.
Remember, what you touch could have the virus.This is one way that IMO is spreading this thing so fast.
I will admit I am borderline 'germaphobe' in the first place.
Regardless of how you get to work, where you work, job, school, remember where you are at and how many others are there as well.

Bacterial Wipes.
I cant stress that enough.Wipe down things before touching.I do this anyway in public places.Riding the trolley, I never touch the hand rail without using a bacterial wipe first.
If your in school, wipe down the desktop.You never know if someone sneezed or wiped their nose then smeared it on the desk.Some nasty people out there.

Wash Hands.
You should be washing your hands, especially if you shake hands all day with poeple.

Use Your Foot!
DO NOT under any circumstances flush a toilet handle in a public restroom with your hand.But please, do flush.Thats just nasty.

Keep Your Hands At Bay
For some it's a habit.But if you could remember what you touched during the day you probably wouldn't be sticking your hands in or near your mouth.
As precaution, see all above!

I do these things on a daily basis anyway being that I'm a bit of a germaphobe.But these practices should be used anyway.Not just in the case of getting a strange flu, but any type of cold or flu.Think of all the germs out there from 'dirty' poeple that leave behind things that can make you sick.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MetatronCubensis

Alex Jones has a long proven history of taken mainstream articles way out of context.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION UPDATE #8

World Health Organization

1 May 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve. As of 19:00 GMT, 1 May 2009, 13 countries have officially reported 365 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

The United States Government has reported 141 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Mexico has reported 156 confirmed human cases of infection, including nine deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (34), China, Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region (1), Denmark (1), Germany (3), Israel (2), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (3), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (8).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

There are a hell of a lot more cases than just those.
This definately fits a Level 6 Pandemic according to their standards.
I see they took the time to say ... eat pork, it's okay.
But they didn't take the time to let us know when they'd give the next briefing.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

WHO is out of date, our figures on ATS are probably more accurate than those in the news bulletin.

A level 6 upgrade could occur tomorrow, depending on national governments.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is damn stupid -

World Health Organization - No rationale for travel restrictions

1 May 2009 -- WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the influenza A(H1N1) virus. Today, international travel moves rapidly, with large numbers of individuals visiting various parts of the world. Limiting travel and imposing travel restrictions would have very little effect on stopping the virus from spreading, but would be highly disruptive to the global community.

Influenza A(H1N1) has already been confirmed in many parts of the world. The focus now is on minimizing the impact of the virus through the rapid identification of cases and providing patients with appropriate medical care, rather than on stopping its spread internationally. Furthermore, although identifying the signs and symptoms of influenza in travellers can be an effective monitoring technique, it is not effective in reducing the spread of influenza as the virus can be transmitted from person to person before the onset of symptoms. Scientific research based on mathematical modelling indicates that restricting travel will be of limited or no benefit in stopping the spread of disease. Historical records of previous influenza pandemics, as well as experience with SARS, have validated this point.

Travellers can protect themselves and others by following simple recommendations related to travel aimed at preventing the spread of infection. Individuals who are ill should delay travel plans and returning travellers who fall ill should seek appropriate medical care. These recommendations are prudent measures which can limit the spread of many communicable diseases and not only influenza A(H1N1).

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

It is too late for restrictions now.

The infection rate is an indication of how badly we've been in restricting the spread of the virus.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   

that just goes to show that the world economics are a major player on how they are handling this ''pandemic''..

now the question is are they gaurding the economics from the backlash of the ''pandemic'' or
using the ''pandemic'' to controll the economics?

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
# US, Florida: State officials confirm Florida's first two cases of influenza A (H1N1) in two children from Broward and Lee Counties #swinefluless than 10 seconds ago from web

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Mexico has reported 156 confirmed human cases of infection, including nine deaths.

What is this about? Only 9 confirmed deaths in Mexico? How is that possible? If they are just slow confirming, I thought they had set up a temp testing area in Mexico to speed things up.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
i dont know if this has been mentioned yet, its hard to keep up with all the post.

I live in brimingham al, there was a confirmed case in madison co. and on a conference last night they announced a susp case of a child from the UAB daycare. Also i have heard that the highschool students from a local school had been on a band trip to San Antonio and that they have been sick. This is from a family member who has friends at the school so idk. But still nothing about closing down anything here (they did close the schools in madison co though not sure about the daycare). they are just urging ppl to stay home if they get sick. on a side note there is a concert event starting today and goes until sunday that pretty much everyone in the area will be at. so im sure if some kids from the school have it then it will spread.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Redpillblues

both make money for the drug companies, and keep people shopping and going about every day things.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
hello. i'm new to ats and i've been monitoring the thread.

news now say the CDC is overwhelmed:

The CDC "is overwhelmed with testing," she said. Current testing turnaround time for results is 48 hours.

source: www.sun-sentinel.com...

[edit on 1-5-2009 by aramaki]

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SMR

I agree with what you're saying SMR, but on the other hand i'm 'one of those dirty ones', you speak of, but i do flush the toilet

Your germophobia may have actually weakened your immune system, as you have used man-made disinfectants for a long time. If you treated your body to a good dose of muck on a daily basis, then your immune system won't throw a hissy fit if it detects a foreign body/virus.

I think everyone should eat a sliver of dog pooh every day (just being facetious), to build up your immune profile against diseases that we experience in everyday life. Using bleaches et al everyday can't be good in the long run, imho.

link   
reply to post by aramaki

Good lord.
That is not a good sign of events to come, we do not need the CDC to become overwhelmed.

link   
Has anybody actualy done the math on this thing?
This guy has and its scary!
www.abovetopsecret.com...&flagit=459892

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION UPDATE #8

World Health Organization

1 May 2009 -- The situation continues to evolve. As of 19:00 GMT, 1 May 2009, 13 countries have officially reported 365 cases of influenza A(H1N1) infection.

The United States Government has reported 141 laboratory confirmed human cases, including one death. Mexico has reported 156 confirmed human cases of infection, including nine deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Austria (1), Canada (34), China, Hong Kong, Special Administrative Region (1), Denmark (1), Germany (3), Israel (2), Netherlands (1), New Zealand (3), Spain (13), Switzerland (1) and the United Kingdom (8).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

There are a hell of a lot more cases than just those.
This definately fits a Level 6 Pandemic according to their standards.
I see they took the time to say ... eat pork, it's okay.
But they didn't take the time to let us know when they'd give the next briefing.

damn im a sick puppy

but your last comment made me laugh.....
b ut i agree with you....

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   

www.foxnews.com...

Okay, get ready for this stance from the government from now on.

This is like every other flu but a new strain. We will watch it and prepare for the worse but right now it is like a everyday flu strain.

This is about to fade into the background in all news reporting. ( Like it has not already begun to do that.)

Get ready because it is going to be "normal" that you get this.

We must keep an eye out on this one.
I do not feel that we are anywhere out of the woods on this one. The government is going to tell everyone it is okay and to go back out and keep spending money.

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
my first post here. so hello everybody.
1/ my step daughter is facilities manager for a big hospital in south wales/uk. meeting this morning with the board. all that was said is " dont overload the hospital with half-serious cases. lets get organised for a massive affluence of unwell people.no reason to get crazy about it. just prevention" at the question she asked to the GM "but, is there any ground we can relly on for such preparation?" answer was " yes, there is.just get all of you organised.end of meeting"
2/ Dad is retired. used to work for the french gouvernment. ministry of cooperation ( the one who deals with the oversea territory and ex-colonny).he phone me at 15h30 this afternoon. " what s up dad?" " listen, genious, (yep he calls me genious...), i have to go to center africa urgently.i ll be on my satellite mobile if needed" " ok. what'up? anything to do with that virus we are talking on the news? tell me" " yes. looks like its serious stuff." " dad, why is there nothing alarming on the tv if its that serious?" "no panic...control....god knows...." " can i pass the news ?" " yes, just dont mention my name, thats it"

i am confused. really confused......

posted on May, 1 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by bonesinis

Have you heard of the phrase "deck chairs on Titanic?"

It is what the governments are doing, suggesting the events isn't that bad but making emergency programs in the background. It's called spin.

new topics

top topics

<< 221  222  223    225  226  227 >>

join