It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 136
<< 133  134  135    137  138  139 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
# Mexico central bank: Economy to shrink up to 4.8 pct in 09, but swine flu could alter forecast, AP reports.less than 20 seconds ago from BNO Headquarters

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Chiiru

Even better - how are they confirming the cases? Hasn't New York confirmed 45 cases alone? Does the WHO perform their own tests? That article has me confused

*Edit because I can't do formatting today worth anything

[edit on 4/29/2009 by CeltAngel]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mkross1983

On the national news last night, they specifically stated that they would not be testing all of the students in the schools (NY)where the outbreak is currently centered. They were confident of the diagnosis of swine flu and did not want to overload labs.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

WHO has to confirm deaths i.e why we currently have 8 WHO and 160 world wide. Each death has to be confirmed.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Mornin' all...took me a full cup of coffee to catch up from last night.

I'd like to address the issue of mortality numbers and overall infection rates, along with the timelines. Look at this, Veratect's timeline from their viewpoint:

biosurveillance.typepad.com...

From this timeline, it is obvious that this flu began sometime in February, in or near the town of La Gloria, near Mexico City. No one, however, recognized it as new except for those hit by it. The townsfolk claimed a 60% infection rate: 1800 out of a population of 3000, with 3 pediatric deaths, a mortality rate of .002%, roughly (ok, .00167%). The Mexican government didn't send help or investigate until early March.

By April 16, at least one person in Oaxaca died. A week later, people were dying in Mexico City.

Now realize that no one had a clue yet, during Easter (and Spring Break, let's not forget) week. Typically, in Mexico, during Easter week, there are hundreds of processionals involving tens of thousands of people walking shoulder to shoulder, cramming together into plazas and churches. Take a look:

www.flickr.com...

blackbearexplorers.com...

www.dreamcatcherimaging.com...

What are the odds that some of those folks had the flu at that time, either full-blown or nascent? If the La Gloria numbers are accurate and indicative, then 60% of those exposed caught the flu. Do the math, and the numbers of infected were simply huge, bringing the mortality rates somewhere in line with regular flu.

The reported numbers of officially infected wouldn't reflect the people who got sick and recovered on their own during and just after Easter. I think this thing should be called the Easter flu because that's how so many in Mexico got sick. If you think about the Spring break connection, you'll realize that the college kids were doing their level damn best to depress their immune systems with lots of beer and tequila, reducing their vulnerability. But that doesn't mean they didn't bring it home with them.

A side note: Israel and Muslim countries are probably objecting to the name "swine flu" out of fear that their populations would avoid getting a vaccination they would assume came from pigs, and was therefore unclean.

[edit on 29-4-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

In all seriousness, do you know how they certify a case? Do they test on their own/ review results/ other?

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Until they are CONFIRMED they don't count. Kinda like if you are an "Enemy Combatant" you aren't human.

It only counts until they say it does and who knows when or if that will ever happen.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

As shown here:

VeratectSouth Korea: 11 Additional Suspected Cases of Swine Influenza Reported Among People With Mexico And U.S. Travel History. #swineflu4 minutes ago from web

The virus may now be spreading (most likely has been) from people leaving the states as well not just from Mexico. Exponential growth is awesome for rates of return but not for virus growth.

EDIT: LOL, I somehow replied to myself. Nice!

[edit on 29-4-2009 by mkross1983]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I recommend a walk in the rain to anyone feeling pressure over this, exhilerating is the word. The rooster is alive and well and watching over all of us.

Anyway back to the updates....

I personally think out of all the information posted on here in 3 days the most important bit of info is this .

"swine flu martial law bill clears Massachusettes senate"

In my opinion .....I would bet my life this is the first showing of aims and objectives of this excercise

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Looks like a big scamola, same crock as Air Force One making a panic scene.

Only 7 swine flu deaths, not 152, says WHO

"Unfortunately that [150-plus deaths] is incorrect information and it does happen, but that's not information that's come from the World Health Organisation," Ms Allan told ABC Radio today.

"That figure is not a figure that's come from the World Health Organisation and, I repeat, the death toll is seven and they are all from Mexico."

why would they shoot those numbers out, then downplay?

Interesting since WHO was behind the CDC creating human-animal virus combinations for experimentation back in 2004. They also put BAXTER in charge of developing the vaccine for this - even though BAXTER was caught red-handed putting bird flu into the smallpox vaccines they were sending overseas.

Sooooo stinky this is....

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by captiva

I agree and thats at pandemic level 4, I bet we see a lot more of this when it hit's 5-6.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
After yesterday's tons of alarming news about the the flu pandemic, today the media is not giving a horse# to all of this. What is really happening?

link   
I think we are about at the point where the numbers are useless. They aren't taking samples from everyone anymore because there are just too many to process. I don't think we can rely on any numbers anymore, at least in the U.S. and Mexico. Likely in New Zealand and Spain pretty soon as well.

link   
reply to post by IamNow

I thought it was at 5 now?

Or is this more media BS??

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Its like a game of poker. They have placed their bet and we sit wondering how many cards have been dealt that could give them the winning hand. While we ourselves sit looking at a pair of threes.

respects

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

We should be if the case in Spain is confirmed not to have traveled to Mexico, at the moment though it's still on 4

www.idemc.org...

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IamNow

Ok....cheers.

I just heard on the news earlier a comment like "now we're at level 5, will blah happen" or whatever....

So annoying how they half report something and spout crap....however....it's the MSM we're talking about....it's to be expected.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

They do.

The deaths are recorded and confirmed by Mexico and then the WHO has to clarify each subject, under international law. Because the figures are changing on an hourly basis, the WHO is commenting only on cases it has received.

Bureaucracy, my dear boy.

That is why the WHO reported three confirmed cases in the United Kingdom when our government said it was five. The updated information did not arrive at the WHO prior to the news conference.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Just an update from WHO...

Key developments on swine flu outbreaks, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, World Health Organization, and government officials:

_Deaths: 159 in Mexico, seven confirmed as swine flu and rest suspected. One confirmed in the U.S., a 23-month-old Texas child.

_Sickened: 2,498 suspected and 19 confirmed in Mexico. Confirmed elsewhere: 66 in U.S.; 13 in Canada; 14 in New Zealand; five in Britain; three in Germany; four in Spain; two in Israel; and one in Austria.

_Confirmed U.S. cases by state: 45 in New York, 11 in California, six in Texas, two in Kansas and one each in Indiana and Ohio, according to CDC and states.

Just realised that all in all there are only 26 confirmed cases in Mexico !!!!!! what the hell is going on, is the question we should be asking?

[edit on 29-4-2009 by captiva]

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Translated with Google from french, about a company here that produces vaccines, just saw that, may help:

Medicago, a biotechnology company in Quebec, took advantage of the swine flu. More than 6 million shares of Medicago have changed hands at the Exchange since Monday morning. The action went from 20 cents to 30 cents. In addition to the subject of major speculation in the stock market, the company is attracting interest among investors, "says Frederic Ors, vice-president of development in Medicago. "There's a lot of potential investors and people wishing to get information about who is Medicago, how to respond to pandemic influenza, what can we do," says Ors. Two reasons for investor interest in Medicago. The company has successfully developed a new technology for rapid production, with plants, vaccines against influenza. Moreover, after having produced a vaccine against bird flu, the Quebec company began to manufacture a vaccine against swine influenza. Work has already begun, said Frederic Ors. "We recovered the gene sequence of the Center for Infectious Diseases in the United States. It was recovered on Monday and Friday morning, we began to work in the laboratory in order to produce as quickly as possible this vaccine, "he says. The technology can produce a vaccine barely a month after the identification of the gene sequence from a new pandemic strain. The vaccine will be given to Health Canada. If laboratory, the vaccine manufactured by Medicago proved effective, it would not be marketed immediately. It should be evaluated to determine if it complies with the requirements concerning the approval of vaccines.

Original in french:

www.radio-canada.ca...#

top topics

<< 133  134  135    137  138  139 >>

join