It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HR 1388 just passed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Where does it say that the work will be mandatory?

"‘SEC. 120. INNOVATIVE DEMONSTRATION SERVICE-LEARNING PROGRAMS AND RESEARCH.

‘(a) In General- From the amounts appropriated to carry out this part for a fiscal year, the Corporation may make grants and fixed-amount grants (in accordance with section 129(l)) with eligible entities for activities described in subsection (c).

‘(b) Definitions- For purposes of this part, the following definitions apply:

‘(1) ELIGIBLE ENTITIES- The term ‘eligible entity’ means a State education agency, a State Commission, a Territory, an Indian tribe, an institution of higher education, or a public or private nonprofit organization (including community-based organizations), a public or private elementary or secondary school, a local educational agency, or a consortia of such entities, where a consortia of two or more such entities may also include a for-profit organization.

‘(2) YOUTH ENGAGEMENT ZONE- The term ‘youth engagement zone’ means the area in which a youth engagement zone program is carried out.

‘(3) YOUTH ENGAGEMENT ZONE PROGRAM- The term ‘youth engagement zone program’ means a service learning program in which members of an eligible partnership described in paragraph (4) collaborate to provide coordinated school-based or community-based service learning opportunities, to address a specific community challenge, for an increasing percentage of out-of-school youth and secondary school students served by local educational agencies where--

‘(A) not less than 90 percent of the students participate in service-learning activities as part of the program; or

‘(B) service-learning is a mandatory part of the curriculum in all of the secondary schools served by the local educational agency."

Its in there.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What a surprise!
*end of sarcasm*................... No. Not at all. This proves it, they are pushing their agenda into high gear. Next up war with Iran, then World War 3. Then after that, concentration camps.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I'm sure it will be enforced just like other mandates. By denial of government services if you do not comply. I'd imagine if you do not participate you will not be eligible for things like loans, grants and the like. In fact I remember that being stated in an interview of one of Obama's people prior to his election. I saw the video of it posted here the other day. I think it was Obama's campaign manager.

[edit on 3/18/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
reply to post by sos37

AGAIN, THIS IS COMING SINCE THE CLINTON ADMINISTRATION, WITH BUSH AND NOW OBAMA-
I am an American citizen, i love my country and if ican have some hope, i will grab onto that hope.
I am also a big person for saying I was wrong about Obama. I have awakened. You have NOT.
You are still talking about the left and the right, as though it were separate entities. THEY ARE NOT. No they are not.
Wake up and listen to my cockiness, sillyness....dont wait till your house falls on top of you to realize this is all one big conspiracy, and that all the previous administrations (I have seen the light) had a hand in it.

This doesnt make me cocky or crazy. It makes me a tad smarter than you, for i am seeing the truth develop, and YOU are NOT.

What I see is Chicken Little screaming that the sky is falling.

What I see is someone took GREAT JOY with your liberal friends on this site making fun of those of us who supported conservative ideals and candidates and opposed Obama on the issues in the not-so-distant past.

Now all of a sudden an issue comes up that hits close to home, an issue that YOU personally have a vested interest in, and suddenly you want us to all take you seriously and get on board with the topic. I say FORGET IT. Maybe other people are willing to look past the things you've said, but I'm not and I'm not about to suddenly give YOU ANY credibility whatsoever.

Personally, I think you're blowing this Bill way out of proportion. It's a study. The government has studied a lot of things that they've never actually done. This is no different.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by sos37]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Guess we'll wait and see won't we?

I personally feel that there's a crapstorm coming down the pipeline, and that this is just another indicator....but hey we're all entitled to our own opinions

At least until they tell us otherwise

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Some information on the passage of HR 1388:

Info

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
reply to post by Amaterasu

I'd say that's a good synopsis right there.
The economy in shambles would likely see desperate people
begging for this "civil service" crap to be implemented.....so there's one way that they could have us begging on our knees, and it's already going down!
How convenient for them.

Oh, now I'm SURE this wan't planned. Heh. Yeah. Right.

I thought of that too, BTW.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

As i'm sure many of us have!!!
It's all just a little convenient, and they've said it themselves....take a crisis, turn it into an opportunity.

An opportunity to wittle away our rights apparently.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
BTW, it was already in the stimulus bill for California:

Link

Youth Corps to help keep California green

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger on Monday announced the creation of a youth environmental corps tasked with protecting California's verdant ecology, while training for future employment in the emerging "green economy."

At least 1,000 young Californians in the program, aged 16 to 24, will be paid with funds from President Barack Obama's recently-approved federal stimulus plan, Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

You know what that means, spying on everybody so you don't do anything that is deemed ``non-ecologic``... whatever that is.

Oh, it was planned, just read the Rahm Emmanuel book: Big Ideas For America, it's in there, I've red it. Conscription for all 18-24, minimum 3 months.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
Now all of a sudden an issue comes up that hits close to home, an issue that YOU personally have a vested interest in, and suddenly you want us to all take you seriously and get on board with the topic. I say FORGET IT. Maybe other people are willing to look past the things you've said, but I'm not and I'm not about to suddenly give YOU ANY credibility whatsoever.

Hey, THAT makes sense! I'm for this bill, NOT because I believe it is not a threat and is a good idea. I'm for it because another person, whom I disagree with, is against it.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Give me a break. Your opinion of me doesnt matter to me one iota.
You have a nice one and take care.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Oh, it was planned, just read the Rahm Emmanuel book: Big Ideas For America, it's in there, I've red it. Conscription for all 18-24, minimum 3 months.

Guess I should have put a "[/sarcasm]" in.

[grin]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
This is crazy and totally unconstitutional. But instead of just complaining about it on here I think that all of us who are against it should actually do something about it. All of us who are here in the USA need to contact our congressional representatives. I've made it easy for you all and posted a link right here.

Congress.org

I've already sent my email to my congressional reps and I just hope that now I'm not on some red list somewhere

ETA: Can someone tell me why my avatar isn't showing anymore? I uploaded it to the pic media section and got rid of the link in my memcenter thing.
Thanks

[edit on 18-3-2009 by FunSized]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
reply to post by Essan

You need to wake up friend, and see the real consequences of this. Yes, they start with the children...you know...those who are better off doing good out there for the government than living with their druggie parents-
Step 1. Take as many children as possible away from their government perceived incompetent parents.
Step 2- Hell, might as well send the parents to pick cotton too, Communist style. It will keep them busy.

Come on, this is not a small thing. This is BIG.

Whoa! That is alarmist. picking cotton? Cmon dg, you are already speaking nonsense and trying to frighten people. What communist country did you come from? Did they become Communist gradually or did Soviet Union invade? This Communist BS is tiring because it obfuscates the real issues with a straw man. Nothing personal just freely speaking as you are.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Well considering the new norm in the system is to teach children that their parents have no AUTHORITY to punish them or make them do anything they don't want to. ""This includes but is not limited to chores, extra homework if they are behind in your eyes, any form of religious outing family presented or not,(includes weddings), not allowing the child to eat as they wish is a biggie"", the list they have is endless and is made to make sure that if you stand up to them you are in the wrong no matter what!
If your child screams and cusses at you ...stand there and take it or they will arrest you. If your child goes out late and doesn't adhere to YOUR set curfew, you go to the SCHOOL HEAD and explain the problem YOU do NOT punish THEY DO!
If you are going to spew get the whole story...this is happening and we have wild children every where because of these new rules that few know about. Because frankly they only use them when you don't do what they tell you too.They also make DAMN sure you KNOW YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS! They STAND OVER YOU screaming and yelling at you in FRONT OF YOUR KIDS! Repeating that you HAVE NO RIGHTS OVER AND OVER! You will report any problems to the AUTHORITIES or the HEAD of SCHOOLS!
You can have a fridge full of food,cupboards packed and a freezer full of fresh meat and they will write you down for only having a 8oz. block of cheese and 3 kids. GET A CLUE....
I guess you are way off base or didn't actually have children in the system when they started this bs!
Try and tell a teacher or the princi"pal" (yeah thats the new way of saying it too) that you won't allow them to teach your child to disrespect you and not adhere to your authority; because they told them they don't have to and guess what YOU WILL have the police, social services and a psychiatrist at your door with in 24 hours telling you you have NO RIGHTS and to do what you are told or THEY WILL TAKE YOUR CHILDREN!
Don't even bother with the disinfo CRAP I am speaking from personal experience here!
This happens more and more everyday all over the USA. This bill is nothing more than a away for them to get TOTAL control over what YOUR children do and how they are raised "in their system". Oh and get ready for the bill banning politically incorrect books, they tried the old books are toxic and the libraries refused to pull them after testing proved it to be a LIE.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FunSized

I swear i'm sending 3 letters a week, lol.
I don't think it makes much of a damn difference though, as our reps probably read them for a laugh occasionally and them return to whatever nefarious deeds they were doing before.
I like the tea party idea, and i think i'm going to start mailing my reps teabags instead of letters. Maybe they'll start to get the picture.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by FunSized

Thanks for that link I sent my email to them. Hopefully I wasn't to rude.
I don't want the feds to take me away first to there "Mandatory Volunteer" camps.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Funny thing is our congress man/woman and senators wont read the letters we send. They don't even read the bill's that they vote on. The only thing they will notice is their outlook will freeze up because of all the emails. Or their shredder took a dump because it was over worked. Strength in numbers.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

That is just for schools, not everyone, am I right?

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
little tid bit from Obama earlier on the passage threw the house read carefully!

Statement from the President Praising House Passage of the GIVE Act:

I'm pleased that the House of Representatives has passed the bipartisan GIVE Act -- legislation to usher in a new era of service in this new century. I want to applaud all those who have worked so hard to see this bill through the House, and I am eager to see the companion legislation, the Serve America Act, passed through the Senate so I can sign it into law.

This legislation will help create new opportunities for millions of Americans to serve their communities and help us meet our most pressing challenges, from rebuilding our schools to providing opportunity for those in need, from helping America's veterans to helping get us on the path to energy independence. At this moment of economic crisis, when so many people are in need of help and so much needs to be done, this could not be more urgent.

We know that government alone is not the answer to the challenges we face. It will take all of us taking our share of responsibility. And while government can provide the opportunities to give back to our communities, as I hope it will through this legislation, it is up to each and every citizen to seize those opportunities. It is up to every one of us to do his or her small part to make the world a better place.

Yeah our kids are going to be doing "community service" and we are going to be next to them doing free work that companies have gotten Federal Grants to do already.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join