It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HR 1388 just passed

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
You can send some of them kids over to my house , I could use a new roof ,

2nd floor addition too

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

And besides that MOST Early American slaves were WHITE (Irish, Scottish, English) indentured servants, whose children would be BORN indentured servants!
We FINALLY got away from that and now, someone wants to overturn that so that children can be made to volunteer?
I teach MY own children to pick up the surrounding yards of our apartment and help our neighbors, THANK YOU!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   

(5) The effect on the Nation, on those who serve, and on the families of those who serve, if all individuals in the United States were expected to perform national service or were required to perform a certain amount of national service.

What information do you think a study this extensive will require to be carried out effectively? Do they plan on compiling psychological profiles of every American?

How exactly do you think they will go about obtaining this information?

What other information do you suppose they may uncover about you during this investigation?

In my opinion, Congress authorizing ANY large-scale, let alone nation-wide-scale psychological profiling is dangerous.

Once they know what the psychological effect of such a move would be, and considering they will already have the data, how much of a stretch is it for them to then investigate what conditions must be present for the public to accept this mandatory service...?

Kinda like the Mythbusters...

"Myth: Society will accept involuntary servitude...
Myth busted!
Now what would it take......"

[edit on 3/18/2009 by nasdack24k]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Special announcement: everybody report to the fields at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow morning sharp! The Nanny State wants you!

As for all those who consider this to be a good program, maybe you should set the example and be the first to volunteer your "services". And I don't want to hear any excuses about not having time because you have to work and pay bills. Dismissed!

[edit on 18-3-2009 by SphinxMontreal]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
The government can pass what bills it may like but they will never be effective if we, the people, refuse to obey.

What we don't need these days is volunteer positions for young people, we need PAID WORK for young people.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nasdack24k

It's called Communitarianism!

Police state or what, when they want to take children away to work for no pay!!!
Children can't even LEGALLY work without a permit!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I live in the UK, however I recognise that what happens globally will eventually affect me locally. I have a question what are we the many going to do about the few that rule? And more to the point when are we going to do something?
Like Winston said
'If you will not fight for the right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory will be sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a small chance of survival. There may even be a worse case: you may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves'.
I am no willing souljah more of a peaceful warrior, seriously though time we stood together as the real world majority and made a real change.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Many schools already do this. My area included. In order to graduate, you have to do community service.

If it is school related, i don't have a problem with it.

It gives kids the chance to see the working world and maybe end up knowing what they want to do with their lives.

If we were talking about working adults, that is a different story.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Alex's new film The Obama Deception has Webster Tarpley saying the mandatory service is to supplement the military in subjegating the populace, to use the populace to enslave itself.

The Nazis did it and so did Lenin and Stalin.

Rahm Emanuel was quoted in the film saying they want all 18 to 25 year olds to do three months service.

Of course they aren't going to push their most extreme ideas out front. It will be a million person tattletale brigade.

This is how the communists took over Cambodia with the Khmer Rouge, a bunch of teenaged kids wearing red bandanas and carrying machine guns, who came and rounded up people and marched them down the road to the reeducation camps. (anybody see the movie the Killing Fields?)

Here's the link to Alex's film The Obama Deception. Great film.

video.google.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Well some of what i've been reading makes mention of people over the age of 55, and what kind of benefits they would receive after their 3 YEARS of required service....yeah i've been hearing 3 YEARS, not months. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

So yeah, this looks to me like they're considering any and all of us.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by mpriebe81]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
No, I do not "need to learn to" nor do my children, nor do my neighbors children. We do not ever "need to learn to" especially by those so far out of touch with reality. So, with No Child Left Behind, that make the education system in America better? by forcing a national standard on what is taught? What Americans "need to learn to" do is grow a back-bone and stand up for what our predecessors fought so valiantly for...Freedom.

Just because Jane and John Doe work 140 hours a week combined and have no time for their child, does not warrant my freedoms taken away to "teach" me about social dynamics and how "good" it feels to do community service. Parents need to realize that the school system is there for education on subjects such as math, science, grammar...not for education on morals/standards. If your child is a screw up...the parents should be held accountable, not society. When was the last time a "family" sat down for a "family" meal where each person at the tables day was discussed?

So, please take away more of my liberties with the attitude it will fix the "social inequities" of this country. Please.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mpriebe81
reply to post by nixie_nox

Well some of what i've been reading makes mention of people over the age of 55, and what kind of benefits they would receive after their 3 YEARS of required service....yeah i've been hearing 3 YEARS, not months. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

So yeah, this looks to me like they're considering any and all of us.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by mpriebe81]

Can you post a link to any of the info about people over the age of 55 being required to serve?

Thanks in advance.

Again, how many of you ranted and raved endlessly about how Bush was taking away your rights - without ever being able to name even one right that you had lost.

Now take a good hard look at who is actually taking away your rights and freedoms.

[edit on 3/18/2009 by centurion1211]

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I hope you will all listen to me just once.

This is a communist move. This will amount to slavery, unpaid labor God knows where. Believe me, this isnt for your typical SOUP KITCHEN.

I came from a Communist country and this is how they do it.

You have been warned many times by me. I will just stop saying it now.

I did listen to you. I listened to your cockiness and snyde remarks about John McCain all through the election. And to quote directly from you:

"Obama? I'm not crazy about him but it WOULD HAVE BEEN A CHANGE, AND IT WOULD BE SOME HOPE, SOME ILLUSION." (www.abovetopsecret.com...)

So allow me to say that now you're getting exactly what you deserve for voting for this man. Like the change and the hope you asked for? How's that Illusion coming along for ya?

If you voted for Obama, you have no one to blame but YOURSELF for fiascos like this legislation might bring!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Having a hard time finding it at the moment, they may have made some changes since i last saw it. Here are a few excerpt for you to chew on though:

SEC. 1709. STUDY TO EXAMINE AND INCREASE SERVICE PROGRAMS FOR DISPLACED WORKERS.
(a) Planning Study- The Corporation for National and Community Service shall conduct a study to identify--

(1) specific areas of need for displaced workers;

(2) how existing programs and activities carried out under the national service laws could better serve displaced workers and communities that have been adversely affected by plant closings and job losses;

(3) prospects for better utilization of skilled workers as resources and volunteers; and

(4) methods for ensuring the efficient financial organization of services directed towards displaced workers.

(b) Consultation- The study shall be carried out in consultation with the Department of Labor, State labor agencies, and other individuals and entities the Corporation considers appropriate.

(c) Report- Not later than 1 year after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Corporation shall submit to the appropriate committees of Congress a report on the results of the planning study required by subsection (a), together with a plan for implementation of a pilot program using promising strategies and approaches for better targeting and serving displaced workers.

(d) Pilot Program- From amounts made available to carry out this section, the Corporation shall develop and carry out a pilot program based on the findings in the report submitted under subsection (c).

(e) Authorization of Appropriations- There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section such sums as may be necessary for each of fiscal years 2010 through 2014.

SEC. 1710. STUDY TO EVALUATE THE EFFECTIVENESS OF A CENTRALIZED ELECTRONIC CITIZENSHIP VERIFICATION SYSTEM.

(a) Study- The Corporation for National and Community Service shall conduct a study to determine the effectiveness of a centralized electronic citizenship verification system which would allow the Corporation to share employment eligibility information with the Department of Education in order to reduce administrative burden and lower costs for member programs. This study shall identify--

(1) the costs associated with establishing this program both for the Corporation and for the Department of Education;

(2) the benefits or detriments of such a system both for the Corporation and for the Department of Education;

(3) strategies for ensuring the privacy and security of member information that is shared between agencies and member organizations;

(4) the information that needs to be shared in order to fulfill employment eligibility requirements; and

(5) recommendations for implementation of such a program.

(b) Consultation- The study shall be carried out in consultation with the Department of Education and other individuals and entities the Corporation considers appropriate.

(c) Report- Not later than 18 months after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Corporation shall submit to the appropriate committees of Congress a report on the results of the study required by subsection (a), together with a plan for implementation of a pilot program using promising strategies and approaches identified in such study, if the Corporation determines such program to be feasible.

(d) Pilot Program- From amounts made available to carry out this section, the Corporation may develop and carry out a pilot program based on the findings in the report submitted under subsection (c).

(e) Authorization of Appropriations- There are authorized to be appropriated to carry out this section such sums as may be necessary for each of fiscal years 2010 through 2014.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Found the part about people 55 and over.

‘SEC. 198C. SILVER SCHOLARSHIPS AND ENCORE FELLOWSHIPS.

‘(a) Silver Scholarship-

‘(1) ESTABLISHMENT- The Corporation may award grants, including fixed-amount grants (in accordance with section 129(l)) to community-based organizations to carry out a Silver Scholarship Grant Program for individuals age 55 and older to complete not less than 500 hours of service in a year carrying out projects of national need and to receive a Silver Scholarship in the form of a $1,000 education award. Under such a program--

‘(A) the Corporation shall establish criteria for the types of the service required to be performed to receive such award; and

‘(B) the individual receiving the award shall use such award in accordance with sections 146(c), 146(d), and 148(c).

‘(2) TERM- Each program funded under this subsection shall be carried out over a period of 3 years, which may include 1 planning year and 2 additional grant years, with a 1-year extension possible, if the program meets performance measures developed in accordance with section 179(a) and any other criteria determined by the Corporation.

‘(3) APPLICATIONS- To be eligible to carry out a program under this subsection, a community-based organization shall submit to the Corporation an application at such time and in such manner as the Chief Executive Officer may reasonably require. A community-based organization approved by the Corporation shall be a listed organization as described in subsection (b)(2)(D).

‘(4) COLLABORATION ENCOURAGED- A community-based organization awarded a grant under this subsection is encouraged to collaborate with programs funded under title II of the Domestic Volunteer Service Act in carrying out this program.

‘(5) ELIGIBILITY FOR SCHOLARSHIP- An individual is eligible to receive a Silver Scholarship if the community-based organization certifies to the Corporation that the individual has completed not less than 500 hours of service under this section.

‘(6) SUPPORT SERVICES- A community-based organization receiving a grant under this subsection may use a portion of the fixed-amount grant to provide transportation services to an eligible individual to allow such individual to participate in a service project.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
This is the summary of HR 1388
(/d9lnm2)

H.R.1388
Title: To reauthorize and reform the national service laws.
Sponsor: Rep McCarthy, Carolyn [NY-4] (introduced 3/9/2009) Cosponsors (37)
Related Bills: H.RES.250
Latest Major Action: 3/17/2009 Rules Committee Resolution H. Res. 250 Reported to House. Rule provides for consideration of H.R. 1388 with 1 hour of general debate. Previous question shall be considered as ordered without intervening motions except motion to recommit with or without instructions. Measure will be considered read. Specified amendments are in order. All points of order against consideration are waived except those arising under clause 9 or 10 of rule XXI. It shall be in order to consider as an original bill for the purpose of amendment under the five-minute rule the amendment in the nature of a substitute recommended by the Committee on Education and Labor now printed in the bill.
House Reports: 111-37
SUMMARY AS OF:
3/9/2009--Introduced.
Generations Invigorating Volunteerism and Education Act or the GIVE Act - Amends the National and Community Service Act of 1990 (NSCA) and the Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973 (DVSA) to revise the programs under such Acts and reauthorize appropriations for such programs through FY2014.

Revises under NSCA: (1) the School-Based and Community-Based Service-Learning programs and Higher Education Innovative Programs for Community Service (Learn and Serve programs); (2) National Service Trust programs (AmeriCorps); (3) the National Civilian Community Corps (NCCC); and (4) the Investment for Quality and Innovation program.

Eliminates the current Community-Based Learn and Serve programs.

Establishes two new Learn and Serve programs: (1) Campuses of Service, which provides funds to institutions of higher education to develop or disseminate exemplary service-learning programs that assist their students' pursuit of public service careers; and (2) Innovative Service-Learning Programs and Research, which funds community service-learning opportunities for elementary and secondary, college, and graduate students as well as research into service-learning.

Includes among eligible AmeriCorps programs: (1) an Education Corps to address unmet educational needs; (2) a Healthy Futures Corps to address unmet health needs; (3) a Clean Energy Corps to address unmet environmental needs; and (4) a Veterans Corps to address the unmet needs of veterans and their families.

Creates AmeriCorps Opportunity Corps programs that include certain existing programs and new programs to: (1) increase community access to technology; (2) engage citizens in public safety, health, and emergency preparedness services; (3) mentor youth; (4) reduce recidivism by re-engaging court-involved youth; and (5) support the needs of veterans or active duty service members and their families.

Establishes an Education Awards Only program authorizing the Corporation for National and Community Service (Corporation) to provide fixed-amount grants to programs that have approved national service positions, but no AmeriCorps funding.

Sets the National Service educational awards for full-time AmeriCorps, NCCC, and Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) participants at a level equal to the maximum available Pell Grant available to students under the Higher Education Act of 1965.

Includes among needs to be met under the NCCC program, disaster relief, infrastructure improvement, environmental and energy conservation, and urban and rural development.

Requires states to develop comprehensive plans for volunteer and paid service by Baby Boomers and older adults.

Directs the Corporation to plan pilot programs to: (1) better target and serve displaced workers; and (2) establish a centralized electronic citizenship verification system which would allow the Corporation to share employment eligibility information with the Department of Education.

Authorizes the Corporation to treat September 11th annually as a National Day of Service and Remembrance.

Establishes within the Investment for Quality and Innovation program: (1) a ServeAmerica Fellowships program providing fellowships to individuals chosen by states to participate in service projects addressing certain areas of national need; (2) a Silver Scholarship Grant Program providing scholarships to individuals age 55 or older who complete at least 500 hours of service in a year in an area of national need; and (3) an Encore Fellowships program providing one-year fellowships to individuals age 55 or older who serve in areas of national need and receive training to transition to public service employment. Makes ServeAmerica fellows eligible for national service educational awards.

Authorizes the Corporation to provide grants to innovative and model service programs, including those for disadvantaged youth, youth under age 17, and potential recidivists.

Eliminates federal funding for the Points of Light Foundation.

Revises under DVSA: (1) the VISTA program; and (2) the Senior Corps, including the Retired and Senior Volunteer program (RSVP), the Foster Grandparent program, and the Senior Companion program.

Gives priority in VISTA participant selection to disadvantaged youth and retired adults of any profession.

Authorizes new VISTA grant programs of national significance that provide poor and rural communities with: (1) services reintegrating formerly incarcerated individuals into society; (2) financial literacy and planning; (3) before-school and after-school services; (4) community economic development initiatives; (5) assistance to veterans and their families; and (6) health and wellness services. Eliminates the VISTA Literacy Corps, University Year for VISTA, and Literacy Challenge Grant programs.

Raises the minimum and maximum stipend provided to VISTA participants.

Prioritizes RSVP projects in specified areas.

Makes anyone 55 years of age or older eligible as Senior Corps volunteers.

Provides, under the Senior Corps demonstration program, incentive matching grants to Senior Corps programs that exceed specified performance measures, enroll most of their volunteers in outcome-based service programs, and increase their enrollment of Baby Boomer volunteers.

Expresses the sense of the Congress that the number of AmeriCorps, VISTA, and NCCC participants should reach 250,000 by 2014.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Be careful sos37.

Next thing you'll hear is how "mean spirited" you are for reminding the libs of their past deeds and comments.

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
as obama signs this in to law, he is whipping is Back side with our constitution if this does not wake up the american people I dont know what will. I hope to find out what they plan to do with me when I tell them where they can stick their service to the state!

our goverment is looking more and more like the republic in star wars, and one line from that movie came sto mind as I watched the Inaugeration of Obama, So this is how liberty dies with thunderous applause !

I say we Orginize a punch an obama voter in the face day! its not like they are hard to spot every day is several morons that still have no clue!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
To Essan;
Does England STILL have forced servitude?
How well did that go?
The U.S. has a 13th amendment of the constitution;
Wiki

The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution officially abolished and continues to prohibit slavery and involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime. It was adopted on December 6, 1865, and was then declared in a proclamation of Secretary of State William H. Seward on December 18.
At the time of its ratification, slavery remained legal only in Delaware, Kentucky and Missouri. In New Jersey, former slaves born before 1804 could still legally be held as "apprentices," a condition essentially equivalent to slavery; former border slave state Maryland had banned slavery in the constitution it had passed the previous year. Everywhere else in the United States slaves had been freed by state action or Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation.
Lincoln and others were concerned that the Emancipation Proclamation would be seen as a temporary war measure, and so, besides freeing slaves in those states where slavery was still legal, they supported the Amendment as a means to guarantee the permanent abolition of slavery.
The Thirteenth Amendment is the first of the Reconstruction Amendments.

[edit on 18-3-2009 by Clearskies]

If you notice the words right after involuntary servitude.They are"except as a punishment for a crime" Is this not enough to give you pause? Making national service mandatory,would make noncompliance a crime. Therefore it is possible for them to force you into slavery!

posted on Mar, 18 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by daddyroo45

WOW that's a great insight, I hadn't even thought of that.
You're right though, it seems they have figured out a little backdoor
in the 13th. This is screwed up man

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join