It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Liberal Democrats to Table a Motion of No Confidence in the government Tomorrow

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Following the Tories hammering at the Local Elections on Thursday the Lib Dems smell blood and a power sharing coalition with Labour on the wind , with this in mind Lib Dem leader Sir Ed Davey has said he will table the motion tomorrow.

Urging Tory backbenchers to support the motion, Sir Ed said: "These local elections showed the country has had enough of Rishi Sunak and his out-of-touch Conservative government.

"The Conservatives were pushed into third place for the first time in a generation as Liberal Democrats swept the board in former true blue heartlands.

"Yet Sunak continues to desperately cling on to power, holed up in Downing Street until the bitter end.

"Conservative MPs need to wake up and smell the coffee, and back giving the country the election it so desperately wants and needs."

As the Lib Dems are not the main opposition, the government would have to scheduled parliamentary time for the motion to be heard.

And of course, even if Labour and the SNP were to back such a motion, the Tories still have a big majority.

For an election to take place in June, Mr Sunak would need to confirm the date by 16 May to allow for the six-week election period.
news.sky.com...

I doubt the turkeys will vote for Christmas but we live in strange times , perhaps the levels of displeasure with Sunak are that high ... we will see.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Which side of any is against the globalist?

So I know which side to cheer on.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

Which side of any is against the globalist?

In reality none.

They all have their noses in the pudding.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Ouch.

Sorry to hear that.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 01:22 PM
link   
We'll get WEF whichever way we vote

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: angelchemuel

At least you got Brexit.

We haven’t even stood up that much.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Things got worse after Brexit.

Worsening immigration

A poorer economy

Speedier decay of the NHS

A widening of the divide between haves and have nots

Breakdowns of law & order including larger backlogs for pretty much every aspect of government, especially the courts.

Looking back it was probably a good thing we had the EU keeping an eye on the backward bunch with the foresight of a bat that we call government. The sooner we have a general election the better although I've got very little hope for any political groups in this nation since all they have is reactionary measures and therefore find themselves 2 steps back from any move forward, as the song goes... Nobody gets too far like that.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Bribery, blackmail, or outright threats to life and limb will convince most to tow the line. Not many have the strength of character to resist pressures of these magnitudes.

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990
Sorry, I'm still glad we are out of the EU.
And I say that as a German in the UK who does not ever want to move back there.

That everything is going down has nothing to do with Brexit, because they have the same problems in the EU, only worse and they are trapped there.

Would you prefer to suffer AND be in communist/globalist headquarter Europe?

I don't. Why don't you move there if it's so brilliant.
?

posted on May, 6 2024 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I don't. Why don't you move there if it's so brilliant.
?

I'm not one to jump a sinking ship?

I suspect you consider me a fan of the EU when I voted to leave. Oversight of our government hardly means I agree with the loss of our sovereignty. Keys changed hands, that doesn't mean British overlords are any better or that they have British interests at hand.

You could've just asked instead of getting all hyperbolic...

posted on May, 7 2024 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

Brexit hasn't been as much of a boost for the UK as it both could and should have been for several reasons.....but largely due to the incompetence of those idiots in Westminster.

It wasn't helped by the reluctance of the Remainers to accept the democratic decision of the UK electorate and sought to undermine Brexit at every opportunity.

Of course there are other contributory factors.

The reality is that none of the leading political parties have the interests of the majority of British people at heart.
They all lack a vision and a well thought out, structured and reasoned plan of how to deliver that vision.
They engage in populist politics and lurch from one disaster or headline to another.
UK politics is very much reactive rather than proactive.

The party political system is no longer fit-for-purpose.
We need radical reform urgently.

posted on May, 7 2024 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Brexit is why they had to get rid of Boris.... he's not WEF, neither is Truss..... Sunak (and Starmer) on the other hand is entrenched in WEF..... but I know you know this

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 7 2024 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

That's pretty much what I said but you say something sarcastic like "it was probably good we had the oversight of the EU" and next thing you know you're a person longing to live in Greece...

The foresight of a bat... I'm often saying politicians are reactionary and populist politics is all we've had for a long time now. Sunak is trying it again in earnest recently, it sounds like their savings probably wouldn't even cover the expensive game of musical chairs they played last year... # Liz Truss. I do actually agree with greater and more urgent access to medical care for technically unfit for work people and the disabled but the reality is that party are the ones who've messed the system up so much. They're responsible for all the crap during COVID too, back when bumbling Boris became totally unfunny.

UK politics is very much reactive rather than proactive.

So are the people lol

The party political system is no longer fit-for-purpose.
We need radical reform urgently.

I remember around 10 years ago we talked about devolution, we've got that now but is it helping? I'm seeing plenty of investment in my little city but if I'm to be totally candid it's not for the majority of people and has the whiff of gentrification to it.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Motion of No confidence in His Majesty's Government has been tabled.
edm.parliament.uk...

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 11:10 AM
link   

48 hours later and 6 LibDems including Davey who tabled the motion and Galloway (no surprise there)...... going well innit????
Seems more Conservatives are voting with their feet and not standing at the next election. 74 so far, just one more and it will equal the whitewash the Torries experienced when Blair stormed into power.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 11:36 AM
link   

The difference between Blair and Starmer is Blair had the support of the majority of the Country where in this Election Starmer is just the guy who isn't Sunak I think , I doubt many have much hope or support for him.

Starmer has once again shot himself in the foot by allowing a Right Wing Tory , Natalie Elphicke , into the Labour party for what was little more than a cheap publicity stunt for him and more "gravy Train" for her.

The Motion of No Confidence is only a few days old , we'll see in a week if it's being supported , I imagine Labour will back it but doubt any Tories will.

A sobering thought is that it's possible Labour could replace the SNP in Scotland , they'll no doubt win here and they already have Wales so they could get the Full House .... it's enough to make your blood run cold.

posted on May, 9 2024 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Totally agree with everything you said.
Apparently Dominic Cummings is now setting up a political party!

It has the placeholder name of The Startup Party (TSP) and Cummings wants it to be filled with entrepreneurs, NHS workers and military veterans.

Link
Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 06:04 PM
link   

My suspicions are more political parties will just strengthen Labour, only time will tell I guess.

It would be nice to have more "front liners" in politics although it's not just the front of house staff that matters and keeps this nation running, under the Tories their capacity has dwindled anyway and if it wasn't for the cleaners, charity workers, volunteers etc we'd be in a lot more of a state is my guess. Point being they get a lot more done for the minimal resources they have at their disposal.

The I suspect the general theme is going to be "we can't just keep throwing money at things" so my reasoning is better placed individuals would be desirable.

top topics

join