It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If homosexuality is such a terrible sin, why is it not in the ten commandments?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

I'm not going to yell. Thank you for your feedback

But let me ask you this: Are you truly in control of choosing who you find attractive? Or choosing who you fall in love with?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I cant believe this...all the gays getting woman and having babies before a straight,sexy and young single man like myself...sexy is hypothetical..i dont like society.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

You would not believe the amount of women that throw themselves at me. I have had a few women ask me to father their children! The Ladies love the gays.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I cant believe this...all the gays getting woman and having babies before a straight,sexy and young single man like myself...sexy is hypothetical..i dont like society.

Yea, I feel your pain.

It is all about listening. I found out the hard way. You got to listen and understand or at least pretend to understand.

Oops, this is off topic. Sorry.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

Me personally? I was born this way. I must admit, I find it difficult to understand how others can consider that sexuality is a choice. In the same way that a heterosexual doesn't wake up one morning and decide to be straight, a homosexual doesn't decide to be gay.

I appreciate the Christian view on choice when it relates to acting on sexual preference. For example, as a homosexual/heterosexual I can choose to live a homosexual/heterosexual lifestyle or I can choose to abstain. However, as far as choosing my actual sexual preference to begin with, I challenge anyone to try - in earnest - to decide to be their opposite sexuality for a day! These things are NOT a conscious choice IMO

IMO the debate by many Christians loses its impetus when it's founded on the "you choose to be gay" argument.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

funny you call "God" a "he." Have you seen his penis?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I don't get the point.

There is a difference between the laws of this government and the laws of God...

1. Slavery was not illegal or against God - The point is it's a law not a commandment from God who is Superior to the government. God thought it was ok to sell your kid!

2. Sacrifice of an animal was not against God. It's against the law now!

3. Having sex with a woman on her period is un-healthy!

4. Eating Shell fish, working on the Sabbath are the only 2 sins against God in your letter... So I don't get your point... If you eat Lobster and work on the Sabbath your sinning!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

When it comes to the infertile, they are not in sin because of their inability to procreate. They should look into sources of the infertility and try to find a fix if possible (sadly, does not happen too often). We are asked by our faith simply to procreate to the best of our ability once we are in a sexual relationship. It should be an act of love, sensitivity, bonding, and prayer. Those who cannot have children are still loved by God and have done no wrong. They may look to adoption which is a meritorious act, raising one of God's children in a loving home where there once was not one. Though what they should mainly try to do is to hold together and become deeper in love with one another, pray for children one day. If that day never comes, they should not be resentful but rather grateful for what they do have.

As for hypocrisy:
How can any good man be freed from hypocrisy if all men sin? Criticism as an act of good will becomes sinful with this mentality. We sin out of human weakness. This does not mean that in all cases we cannot judge another. If we personally admit our human weakness and strive to suppress our evil tendencies then I think we are justified in criticizing another man's weakness in order for him to better himself. Jesus used the analogy of slivers and logs. What he was talking about more are people who refuse to repent but get off to bossing and criticizing others. Hypocrisy is never a good thing but there are degrees of it, and Jesus addressed the worst kind: that of the Pharisees who do one thing and say another, deceiving the people, leading His children astray by selling out their culture to the Romans and then admonishing the Israelites.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
You justifying why you like to take it in the face? That is the real question isn't it? Stop and think about it, I see that you have an interest in scripture which you hold close to you. But something happened and you just can't fight it anymore, right? No need to justify bro, by all means keep taking it in the face with a free contious... Or this could be a girl too... But the point still stands...

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I find this whole discussion most amuzing....to say the least.

Let me share some knowledge on the subject...

Dear ones.

Love is the key here....it is no other way.

Every soul on earth....embodies twin flames...a mascualine and a femine energy. How this is expressed is based on the life contract the incarnate soul wishes to fullfill and experience in this life...as part of their soul growth.

No experience is taboo in Prime Creator's eyes (God with the big G). For the creator judges no one.....we judge ourselves. That's the whole premise of Free Will remember. If God was to judge you and your behavior...then why will you have free will?

Dear ones,

you must also stop and see what you are all doing here....you are passing judgement on something you dont understand at a soul level of awareness. Expressing love takes many forms of expressions.....NONE of which is taboo....for love is the key to life.

Sex: Sex is only an act of expression of love. a coming together of energies...shared by two individuals....or two of any combination of beings. That is all it is....a sharing of energies.

Now the creation of man/woman were for procreation indeed, but all expressions of love is valid...even those that does not result in procreation. This was part of the divine plan. We are extensions of God experiencing himself in this realm of learning....thus all lessons are allowed here on Earth/Urantia (As the planet is known in the higher realms)

BIBLE: for those who quote the bible as fact. my questions to you is....can you prove anything you quote from it? Do you know who wrote it? Here is a bit of wisdom next time you base your judgement on what you believe the bible goes against. The bible was written by man...and revised countless times...to the many versions you know have as the word of God. IT is not the words of God, but the words of man whose aim was to enslave the world with false teachings. See the council of Nicea for a synopsis of the creation of the bible.

The teacher you know of as Jesus, was a star seed from the christed realm, who incarnated on earth to be a way shower to the earth angels. His messages were later distorted and pullution with many inclusion and additions, many of which was false teachings of the dark forces which came to earth and made deals with many of the governments of every generation. Even in the bible there are evidence of visitors from the havens arriving on the clouds in charriots of fire. These were the light crafts from the higher dimensions....some came in love and light...and some came for other reasons. This is but a part of the truth about your bible. Very very minute parts of the teachings in the bible can be used to help you walk within the teachings of Esu Immnauel Sanada (Jesus)....for the bible is all but a fiction at this time. Hence you have so many many versions of it.

The lession here is that, passing judgement on other for expression their free will in love, is showing how spiritually undeveloped many of you are.... For we are all one in LOVE....so expression LOVE can never be wrong. Those beings expression more of the female energy (in a male body)...will obviously be attracted to a beings expressing more of the similar energy (in a male body)....it is all about the energy of love.

Dear ones....LOVE is the key here.....not judgement. homosexuality is just another expression of love/sex....energy transfer....that is experienced by being on the road to greater self awareness and spiritual growth. Please judge not others....else you will be judge in kinda....it is no other way.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Emphasis mine:

Moving on my idea with this thread is not that there isn't some claim to the Bible saying that homosexuality isn't a sin, but that it doesn't deserve the preoccupation many people give it.

Personalyl I think those verses are more a condemnation of preomiscuity within a certain culture (Egypt, Rome,) than they are specifically homosexual behavior. Promiscuity and homosexuality do not necesarily go hand in hand, though.

I am supposing that you mean "the Christian religion in general" is the "many people"? If so, then I'd like to respond.

Jesus' command about the sin of "adultery" is so broad that I can't imagine any man that has not committed adultery the way Jesus defined it:

Matt 5:27-28 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

This means that any TRUTHFUL pastor's "sermon" about these verses is going to make a LOT of the men in his congregation very uncomfortable.

Modern "chri$tianity" is mostly about that: Money.

If a pastor started preaching about ADULTERY as Jesus defined it...he would probably make those who pay his weekly $alary a bit upset.

Perhaps if he did, then the next week he could preach about DIVORCE? (As Jesus spoke about it?)

Jesus' words about divorce aren't going to be pleasurable to hear for quite a lot of his "$alary-payer$"

If, on the third week he preached upon GLUTTONY, and the forth "The Bible says no woman (Bible) teachers are allowed", and on the fifth "that there IS NO LAW OF TITHING in the NT", and on the sixth that "CIGARETTE smoking for PLEASURE is OK according to the Bible"...

...this preacher would end up preaching himself out of a job.

Why is it that the "tithes and offerings" are taken BEFORE the pastor gives his sermon!!!???

...why not afterwards?

Your perceived observation is probably correct (that there seems to be a preoccupation about it), but I deny that it makes any of the other sexual sins less "sinful".

It just seems (to me) that the other sins are less profitable in these last days.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TERAKO68
You would not believe the amount of women that throw themselves at me. I have had a few women ask me to father their children! The Ladies love the gays.

I can second this.

Have had offers myself.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by archetype_one
reply to post by asmeone2

This is perfect! I am gay, but I denied it for eight years, married a woman and had a child (whom I love more than life itself I might add). So, even though I am now living a gay lifestyle I guess I'm off the hook because I did my due diligence and procreated first!!!

Wow. That must have been a terribly difficuly situation for you, but I'd imagine that it would have been more difficult if you didn't come out.

That is why I loose so much respect for people like Ted Haggard. He made such a platform of standing against gay people when he was, himself, at least bisexual. I would have had respect for him if he had said that he was struggling with the feelings, even more if he had come out to his congregation.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NATIVO
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I don't get the point.

The point is really quite simple. You cite Leviticus as the arbitor of this whole issue...yet you wimp out when it comes to...oh, I donno... justification of slavery. Sorry Sparky, you gotta buy the whole package. Ain't no cherry pickin' allowed. It's called hypocracy.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TERAKO68

I wouldn't say that you are currently an abomination! The Levitical law was done away with when Christ died on the cross! We are under the NEW covenant with Christ. We are now saved by grace not by works (i.e blood sacrifices and the 600+ laws outlined in Leviticus). No sin is greater or lesser than another (and by that I am not saying I think homosexuality is a sin). I may be gay but I grew up in the church and I went to seminary school, I've studied theology and biblical history and the like.

Christians can't even agree on how THEY should live (hence the 30,000 different denominations of Christianity) - Why should they tell others how to live? The Bible is open to interpretation. Dogma is for those who prefer the traditions of man over grace and forgiveness!

~Peace

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lizziejayne
\I agree that homosexuality seems to be the "flagged" sin for many Christians, above and beyond many other prevalent sins.

Indeed, I have witnessed churches overlooking adulterers and people having sex outside marriage (both sins according to the Bible), whilst gays are vehemently castigated and expelled from the congregation.

I'm not arguing the Christian belief system. What I am wondering is why homosexuality seems to be singled out so much more than any other sin - particularly when others (i.e. adultery) are highlighted in the Ten Commandments.

A case in point - there aren't many threads on here condemning live-in partnerships, sex outside marriage, babies outside marriage and adultery - all of which are considered to be sins. And yet there's an abundance of needling against homosexuality

[edit on 23/12/08 by lizziejayne]

A good illustration of my point LJ.

I don't think that it wold be a good thing if those other 'sins' were equally condemned, but I think this is a primce case of selectively applying the Bible.

I think homosexuality just makes a good scapegoat.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I am gay, usually, and it is not a choice. That much I know for sure. I say "usually" because that is my main orientation, but I have been known to swing the other way on rare occasions. On those occasions when that happened it wasn't a choice either. It just happened. I just felt the way I did at that time and, very reluctantly I must add, acted upon my feelings for the person. After 14 years being "gay" I spent a wonderful 4 years with a beautiful woman, and then shortly thereafter went back to being gay (or more accurately a-sexual, lol).
Anyway, I think we will find one day that most people have an innate capacity for both hetero and homo sexual attraction, in varying degrees, but usually try and fit in either one way or the other for a number of personal reasons. I think that is why so many fundamental Christians go on about it being a choice -- because many of them are struggling with an inner voice to do or try something, but they are resisting. They probably just think we are not resisting hard enough.
If we would be truly honest with ourselves, and our feelings, few of us, whether on the gay side or the straight side of the fence, are as gay or straight as we would have others believe -- or as we would like to believe ourselves.
I have found that whenever I try to box myself in with any kind of generalization, it only fits for awhile before something happens to shatter my understanding of things. I think that the more open we are to accepting whatever seems natural and good, the better we will be.
Hopefully the ruckus we usually get from the fundamentalist Christians and Muslims is only their swansong and we will be moving on to something more realistic and worthy of belief.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by archetype_one

Sadly, many christians still take the OT as the literal law--at least, the parts that are convenient.

I defy you or anyone else to find me the part of the bible where it tells us exactly what part of the law was to be thrown out and what was to be kept.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TERAKO68

I've had a lot of very close gay friends. Why? I felt like I could relate to them, many times better than I could have with a female friend, and there was not the pressure that it could turn into something romantic.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
its covered in the 10th one:

Exodus 20:17, KJV

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's.

all the best.

OH farout dr_strangecraft!!!!

I just choked on my coffee when I read that.

ha ha

So it is in the ten commandments!

[edit on 23-12-2008 by Thurisaz]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join