It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If homosexuality is such a terrible sin, why is it not in the ten commandments?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by PreTribGuy

I am purposelly generalizing. Many, but my no m eans all, Christians share the view. It is cerrttainly not all of them that are against homosexuality to the point of rudehess.

Though I agre with you that most churches are set up to be money-mines, I don't think that is why homosecuality is victimized. Churches would probably make MORE money if they accepted gay marraige!

I think istead homosexuality is a conveniet scape goat. A group to point the finger at and say "X is wrong with our world because these people are doing Y!" And I think for many a Christian it gives them a sense of self-worth to feel like they are standing up against a perceived evil.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I don't think hardly anyone is completely straight or completely gay. Me, I am practically asexual (my own preference) and I would not consider myself a lesbian but i would not be opposed to a relationship if I just happened to fall in love with a woman.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Not to get off topic but - Yes, it was difficult to try to live a life that I didn't identify with. I was younger and was foolishly swayed by the notion that if I just "gave it to God" he would "heal me" or "take it away". I attended counseling, I attended church, I loved my wife in every way a good husband should and after eight long years what happened was actually quit the opposite! I found the feelings only became stronger as I denied them!

Eventually my wife and I decided there was no honor in "lying" to ourselves, our child and to God. The jig was up, the time had come to acknowledged to truth that we both had known all along. We had good intentions, but I can say from experience you can take the man out of the gay, but you can't take the gay out of the man - if you know what I mean!

As a result I am now a much more balanced person. I am free to love my child as I am, love God as I am and my ex-wife and I are the friends we should have remained all along! I feel no condemnation from God, in fact I am closer to him now than ever.

Lies choke and kill, the truth sets us free!

My daughter reached over and took my face in her hands and told me, as I attempted to explain things to her, that she understood and I didn't need to be sorry for having romantic feelings for other men - I was blown away, she's 5 years old!

[edit on 23-12-2008 by archetype_one]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by archetype_one

I applaude you.

Most people are too afraid to really develope who they are--especially if there is a gender disparity issue involved.

I think it is better to live in "sin" then to lie and pretend that you aren't anyway.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I personally don't think it's all that important to be honest. If people just "let it be", then it's a self solving problem. Meaning, if they are gay then they don't have children. Of course, gay people come from straight people, so it's not like the "problem" will go away.

It's not my thing, but I have no problems with gay people. I'm probably not going to spend my nights hanging out with them. And the gay guys who act like women get on my nerves like someone racking their finger nails across a chalkboard. But it's not my place to decide what they do, and I will stick up for their rights no matter.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Here is a link that explains the fulfillment of the law (all law) by Christ quit well - It's a short read!

thywordistruth.wordpress.com...

I should note that at the end it correctly states that just because the law has been abolished through Christ we do not have a free ticket to live in sin.

I do not think that homosexuality is a sin. I do think adultery is a sin. That is why I so desperately want to have the right to marry my man! I do not want to live in sin through adultery, but the Christians who condemn adultery wont let me get married - whats a boy to do?

Well, what we do actually is validate our own relationship. Marriage does not have to be recognized by the state to be recognized by God!

~Peace

[edit on 23-12-2008 by archetype_one]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

THanks for the link.

I do agree that the OT is now irrelevent, other than as a history lesson.

That comment was directed at the varietof Christians that want to take parts of it literally--but leave out the more convenient parts of the text.

Hence my comment, they should either be following it to the letter, or be able to come up with some NT vesrs in which there is a detailed list of what to follow and what not to follow.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
BECAUSE GOD HIMSELF DIDNT EVEN THINK THAT TWO PEOPLE OF THE SAME SEX WOULD DO SOMETHING SO FREAKIN GROSS. THATS WHY!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by musclefreak
BECAUSE GOD HIMSELF DIDNT EVEN THINK THAT TWO PEOPLE OF THE SAME SEX WOULD DO SOMETHING SO FREAKIN GROSS. THATS WHY!

As already stated on page 1, that completely negates that God is supposed to be omnipotent.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

Originally posted by dr_strangecraft
its covered in the 10th one:

Exodus 20:17, KJV

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's.

all the best.

dr_strangecraft has already sorted this one out ^

So it is in the ten commandments!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by musclefreak

What to say?

I hope you're being ironic
Otherwise, I invite you to expand on your comment and substantiate your assertion that God would not know.

I would also like to ask if your "freaking gross" comment is a personal opinion or that based on a belief system? If it's the latter, then I would assert that you're "letting your side down" by abandoning cogent reasoning and debate in favour of blatant bigotry.

[edit on 23/12/08 by lizziejayne]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Wow - Really, that's your input on this topic...?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

What are you yelling about?

Stop shouting... (caps lock off!!)

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Growing up in Utah as a Mormon, I also felt getting married would cure me. I got married at 19 and had my daughter shortly after. My marriage lasted a 8 years but as I matured, I began to realise that I was perpertrating a fraud on my wife, daughter and myself. My wife deserved to find someone who could love her the way that I couldn't.

It was really hard at first for both of us. She is now remarried and doing very well and tries to set me up with guys from her work.
Our daughter is now 16
and is also doing very well. Life could not be better! I just need to find a man now

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Ulimately my opinion on why homosexuality is NOT in the ten commandments is because homosexuality, as we know it today, is not identified in the Bible.

None of the words in the original Hebrew or Greek texts (new or old) accurately translate to our modern word for, or concept of, homosexuality.

Levitical law was designed for the Israelites (more specifically the priests) under the old covenant. Any part of the Bible that says anything about man laying with another man being an abomination does not apply to Jews or Gentiles post Christ living under the new priesthood and new covenant.

BTW tithing is also a levitical law - There's the church's motive for not giving up on the law. Oh, how they LOVE to pick and choose!

~Peace

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TERAKO68

Growing up in Utah as a Mormon, I also felt getting married would cure me. I got married at 19 and had my daughter shortly after. My marriage lasted a 8 years but as I matured, I began to realise that I was perpertrating a fraud on my wife, daughter and myself. My wife deserved to find someone who could love her the way that I couldn't.

It was really hard at first for both of us. She is now remarried and doing very well and tries to set me up with guys from her work.
Our daughter is now 16
and is also doing very well. Life could not be better! I just need to find a man now

I was very fortunate to find my man. This is conjecture on my part but I imagine openly gay men seeking a loving and monogamous relation might be in short supply in Salt lake City, Utah!
Then again I was living in the Bible Belt when I met my guy - Don't give up!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by archetype_one

None of the words in the original Hebrew or Greek texts (new or old) accurately translate to our modern word for, or concept of, homosexuality.

So, is there a translation error in Leviticus 18:22?

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

or maybe there's a problem in Romans 1:24-27....

Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever! Amen.

You were probably quoting someone, who was quoting someone else, about the word "effeminate, nor abusers of themselves" in the KJV in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

The two greek words in the original texts are Malchoi and arsenokoitai. malachoi means "plush," in the sense of soft, sensuous, supple. Asenokoitai is even simpler. Arseno- means male; koitai is the root of the latin word coitus (the sex act). Literally, man-effers.

I think those two terms are fairly clear.

Maybe you don't like the implications; but translation of the Greek text is not what is causing all the fuss here.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by archetype_one

Levitical law was designed for the Israelites (more specifically the priests) under the old covenant. Any part of the Bible that says anything about man laying with another man being an abomination does not apply to Jews or Gentiles post Christ living under the new priesthood and new covenant.

BTW tithing is also a levitical law - There's the church's motive for not giving up on the law. Oh, how they LOVE to pick and choose!

So, the whole of the old covenant is out the window, we don't even need the old testament?

So, that stuff against adultery doesn't count, either? Or, perhaps, loving the Lord with all your heart; I guess that's optional reading now.

"Oh, how they LOVE to pick and choose!"

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   

It is covered.. Thous shalt not commit adultery.... Leviticus covers man shall not lay with a man or woman with woman... The N.T. directs us to love the sinner but hate the sin. If you actually look at the outcomes of the commandments and laws, they actually have beneficial out comes especially when compared to practices of other nations and religions at the time. The unclean animals really were unclean (parasites) Monogamy and 'keeping' widows within the same direct gene pool limited interbreeding and the resulting bad mutations. There were some directives that seem bad to us today over 3,000 years later, but compared to the standards of the time they were incredibly advanced

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
There is are ongoing threads with the Pope stating he beleives homosexuality is the greatest threat mankind currently faces

Things must be better than I thought if the "greatest threat mankind currently faces" is two guys kissing down the street
Oh the horror!
Gird your loins everyone! The gays are coming for you - and they want more than petty friendship!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join