It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If homosexuality is such a terrible sin, why is it not in the ten commandments?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

lol i like that... sounds like an an evolution discussion, ¨its already proven and you cant argue so... there.

LOL yeah well. It's just that this has been covered so many times I've lost count. It seems that some people just refuse to read the posts. I guess I'll have to bring up the old posts lol if anybody's willing to read.

I have been on a break from religion debate for a while. I guess I'm in Christmas spirit now lol.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by secretstash

Ok, did you miss all of my other posts? Leviticus 18:22 states that "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination." Abomination = sin That translates to men shall not lie with men as they lie with women and vice versa.

Yep that refers to ritual and pagan practice. Nothing to do with us. Notice how it conveniently omit lesbianism.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

I think alot of things are directed more at men than women in the Bible, but does that mean that they don't still apply?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
God is trying to kill us!

He said: be fruitful and multiply.

So what happens when there are xxxx billion people and the planet is just waaay overpopulated?

Multiply, multiply, multiply!! ...Its not possible to do it forever. The planet will be destroyed, animal life destroyed, humans will starve.. it'll be hell on earth. You wouldnt be able to go anywhere without hearing the constant buzzing of babies crying.

link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

For many American christians, homosexuality seems to be the central issue in their faith.

It is an understatement, I think, to say that many Christians beleive that homosexuality is the m ost offensive sin, yet it is not mentioned in the 10 commandments.

There are plenty of Anti Gay non Christians!

The Ten Commandments doesn't say "thou shalt have sex with your dog either" not every sin is covered in the Ten Commandments.

However homosexuality is covered in the bible

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. (NKJ, Leviticus 18:22)

If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them. (NKJ, Leviticus 20:13)

link   
reply to post by asmeone2

This is perfect! I am gay, but I denied it for eight years, married a woman and had a child (whom I love more than life itself I might add). So, even though I am now living a gay lifestyle I guess I'm off the hook because I did my due diligence and procreated first!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The Bible also says that our lives are all predestined to follow in God's plan. So if each and every life is already predestined. All homosexuals are simply following the predestined plan that God has set out for them.

If it is then true that we are all tied to God's plan, and also that homosexuality is seen as an abomination by God, then can you please tell me why it is part of God's plan?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Daniem

God is trying to kill us! He said: be fruitful and multiply. So what happens when there are xxxx billion people and the planet is just waaay overpopulated? Multiply, multiply, multiply!! ...Its not possible to do it forever. The planet will be destroyed, animal life destroyed, humans will starve.. it'll be hell on earth. You wouldnt be able to go anywhere without hearing the constant buzzing of babies crying.

Which was my point! Somehow they still can't see how bad their logic is.

Homosexuality is a balancing factor. It keeps the population in check.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by archetype_one

This is perfect! I am gay, but I denied it for eight years, married a woman and had a child (whom I love more than life itself I might add). So, even though I am now living a gay lifestyle I guess I'm off the hook because I did my due diligence and procreated first!!!

That was good. Yep, according to them, you are off the hook!

So no worries!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by NATIVO

The Ten Commandments doesn't say "thou shalt have sex with your dog either" not every sin is covered in the Ten Commandments.

Wow.

Every thread on homosexuality....

there's always mentions of dogs, cats, cows, sheep, cows, rocks, cars, trees, what have you.

Never fails.

Every time!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I agree that homosexuality seems to be the "flagged" sin for many Christians, above and beyond many other prevalent sins.

Indeed, I have witnessed churches overlooking adulterers and people having sex outside marriage (both sins according to the Bible), whilst gays are vehemently castigated and expelled from the congregation.

I'm not arguing the Christian belief system. What I am wondering is why homosexuality seems to be singled out so much more than any other sin - particularly when others (i.e. adultery) are highlighted in the Ten Commandments.

A case in point - there aren't many threads on here condemning live-in partnerships, sex outside marriage, babies outside marriage and adultery - all of which are considered to be sins. And yet there's an abundance of needling against homosexuality

[edit on 23/12/08 by lizziejayne]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I think alot of things are directed more at men than women in the Bible, but does that mean that they don't still apply?

They are directed at PRIESTS. Read it again! Priests are men, hence the commandment!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

I think its because GOD created Adam (A MALE) and then Eve (A FEMALE)..knowing that one NEEDS the other to create life. He created their bodies SPECIFICALLY for their own purpose (aka. penis/vagina) and without each other life as we know it ENDS.

God must have known this,so why didn't he create them at the same time?

STU....sure they can in a LAB. But not even science can take 2 females or 2 males and mix this and that to create a life. They NEED both sets of chromosomes to accomplish life.

As long as both sexes exist there will be procreation.Sexuality would not matter in an all male or all female society,they would not be able to make babies no matter what.

Plus,homosexuals can still reproduce,they just don't do it in the same way as heterosexuals.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by DantesLost]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
there's always mentions of dogs, cats, cows, sheep, cows, rocks, cars, trees, what have you.

The funny part is that it's usually the heteros that are doing it.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by archetype_one

I wasn't always an abomination, I was also married at one time, we had a wonderful daughter who I adore and raise on my own.

I think we get a free pass because we were fruitful and multiplied.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

And yet there's an abundance of needling against homosexuality

I have a theory on this..... FEAR. Also, some Christians are closet homosexuals. Take Ted Haggard for instance.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

I think the logic is that God knows everything that will happen, including knowing what choices we will make when a decision comes our way.

In which case, although He knows what decision we will make, the choice is ultimately our own.

I'm not certain though - so don't shout if I'm off base

[edit on 23/12/08 by lizziejayne]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

The funny part is that it's usually the heteros that are doing it.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Um, are we talking Christian talk or Judaism here? Last I checked if you are a Christian you believe that Christ was the messiah and that he abolished the OLD covenant and established the NEW covenant. So, we need not quote Levitical law...It no longer applies.

Even the ten commandments was from the OLD covenant, that is why Gentiles/Christians do not keep the sabbath (one of the ten) - Christ IS our Sabbath/rest (look it up). Christ summed up the ten commandments as believing in God with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself.

There are references to "homosexuality" in the new testament but those were covered by "Benevolent Heretic" as errors in translation, which I have previously researched myself and agree with entirely!

The Christians that are so opposed to homosexuality are taking a word from a translation of a translation and applying it out of context.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by NATIVO
However homosexuality is covered in the bible

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. (NKJ, Leviticus 18:22)

If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them. (NKJ, Leviticus 20:13)

Well, whenever this old canard is trotted out, I like to fall back on Leviticus myself. Your comments would be illuminating, NATIVO...

Ask Dr Laura
(This letter has been circulating on the net. Reportedly the author is Kent Ashcraft.)

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as it suggests in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

www.stallman.org...

Mods, I hope you allow me the large quote as it is the definative answer to this level of intolerance.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by JohnnyCanuck]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join