It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager commits suicide live online while 1,500 people watch

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by Benarius

Originally posted by Runningtobabylon
i was there and watched it
was funny at first because you get 100's off peoplea week on vlog sites saying "oh get me a few 100 viewers and il kill myself (an hero)" suppose we shoulda done somthing
but eh, if he was going to do it anyways there would be no way for us to stop him i suppose

There would have been a way to stop him. But no, you just don't think. It could have been YOU that could have saved him if you weren't too excited see this thing succeed. Shame on you.

Judge me if you will, but I think this is pretty sick.

I just can't understand why a person would want to see human suffering and take enjoyment from it.

As I said in my last post on this, there is no artistic merit in media depicting torture and murder, so the enjoyment has to be voyeuristic and sadistic in nature.

Well of course many humans take a voyeuristic interest in sadism and gore.

Now a live suicide is a bit different if it realistically CAN be prevented. But read the guys comments again, they get 100 threats a week. Do you think they should freak out and inform the authorities every time it happens? If anything the sites should provide moderators to ban that sort of activity.

But the fact is many will think it is a hoax and some just really won’t care one way or the other. Perhaps a better solution would be to put a big RED BUTTON on these forums and cam sites that allow users to flag “inappropriate use” and thereby easily get the suicide threats or attempts knocked off the sites quickly.

I would assume the webcam sites (and probably paltalk too) have terms and conditions that bar users from broadcasting illegal acts, surely they must. Suicide is an illegal act and therefore the user was violating the terms and conditions of the site by broadcasting this activity.

In fact I have moderated chat sites where users would sometimes announce that they would kill themselves on cam and invite others to watch, I never ever thought twice about it, I just told them it was against the rules and to stop discussing it or take it somewhere else. It was assumed to be be "fantasy roleplay" but that didn't matter, it was not allowed and no one pondered whether they meant it or not.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I've thought of entering these chatrooms myself with the express purpose of supporting suicidal people and trying to help them overcome their problems.

I don't know, though, if I'd do more harm than good. I've no experience of any kind of chatroom and don't have a webcam.

I would be willing to join a group of people who could 'gang up' on a would be suicide and try to talk them out of it.

I'm wondering if people here would help to find the right sort of site, then we could 'patrol' it regularly and send a u2u to other members to warn them someone needed help.

I do realise that there were other members of the site in this particular case who tried to discourage the suicide, but by the time they spoke up it had (obviously) got too late.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Now a live suicide is a bit different if it realistically CAN be prevented. But read the guys comments again, they get 100 threats a week. Do you think they should freak out and inform the authorities every time it happens? If anything the sites should provide moderators to ban that sort of activity.[edit on 21-11-2008 by Sonya610]

It's surprising just how many sites like this actually exist without moderation. Log into Yahoo Chat right now and you'll find yourself amongst the sick, the sad and the lonely.

Companies like Yahoo and other 'chat' hosting sites should really crack down on this kind of behaviour. How difficult would it be to close down sites pertaining to such themes? At the very least blanket filters could be installed to block specific 'buzz' words. This could help deter some of this behaviour.

[edit on 21/11/08 by thebox]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by berenike
I've thought of entering these chatrooms myself with the express purpose of supporting suicidal people and trying to help them overcome their problems.

I don't know, though, if I'd do more harm than good. I've no experience of any kind of chatroom and don't have a webcam.

Many of those sites are inhabited by long term clinically depressed people with a LOT of issues. If anything YOU would be the one feeling suicidal if you hung out there long enough.

But other suicide sites say “not to be relied on for support” and can be inhabited by very harsh younger individuals.

I seriously doubt if those chat rooms frequently get new people in true “crisis”, like all chat rooms they are typically groups of regulars.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebox
It's surprising just how many sites like this actually exist without moderation. Log into Yahoo Chat right now and you'll find yourself amongst the sick, the sad and the lonely.

Companies like Yahoo and other 'chat' hosting sites should really crack down on this kind of behaviour. How difficult would it be to close down sites pertaining to such themes? At the very least blanket filters could be installed to block specific 'buzz' words. This could help deter some of this behaviour.

Well I do not like to see big brother on the net. The sites should try to provide methods of moderation if problems arrise, but the idea of shutting down sites that are not properly moderated is VERY VERY scary.

90% of the social sites on the net would SHUT DOWN if every site owner had to worried about being sued should "something happen". That is crazy. In the real world stuff happens, people kill themselves all the time. We don't live in a fairy tail land where every little thing can be controlled, and the idea of taking everyones rights away as a form of "protection" is even more twisted than the odd unsympathetic incident.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Sounded like a cry for help,someone to listen.Anyone serious in taking their life would not want it to be a public show.Very sad anyhoo.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

90% of the social sites on the net would SHUT DOWN if every site owner had to worried about being sued should "something happen". That is crazy. In the real world stuff happens, people kill themselves all the time. We don't live in a fairy tail land where every little thing can be controlled, and the idea of taking everyones rights away as a form of "protection" is even more twisted than the odd unsympathetic incident.

I was referring to sites in which contributors publically goad and insult others. This kind of behaviour isn't tolerated in reality so why should it carry on without moderation on the internet?

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by thebox

I was referring to sites in which contributors publically goad and insult others. This kind of behaviour isn't tolerated in reality so why should it carry on without moderation on the internet?

Because thats the start of a slippery slope,people have the choice of vistiting numerous forums,chatrooms etc...if you give the politicans even one reason to start clamping down it will start a snowball effect.Yes there is alot of unpleasent places on the net,but id take that any day of the weeks as opposed to restricted censored internet.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bvproductions

I was just thinking that myself. It's almost exactly the same story I heard about a year ago. Strange.

edit: Okay after a few moments of searching I found:

"Chatroom users 'egged on father to kill himself live on webcam' - 24.03.07 "

www.thisislondon.co.uk...

AND

Florida Teen Commits Suicide Live on Web Cam
Friday, November 21, 2008

www.news.com.au...

AND

(Utah) man kills himself while ex-girlfriend watches on webcam

Wed Aug 20 2008

www.ksl.com...

AND

A 42-year-old man committed suicide while talking to his friend in an online chatroom.

Friday, March 23, 2007

www.tgdaily.com...

AND

Student Commits Suicide in Front of Webcam

March 17, 2008

www.groundreport.com...

[edit on 21-11-2008 by Jadette]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
A very sad story indeed. This is an unfortunate reflection of what has become of our global society. With so much "reality" thrown in our faces everyday, people are now unable to detach from it. They can no longer discern the difference from staged reality TV and real life. People are now living there lives vicariously through the web and TV instead of experiencing life for themselves.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
lol
you judge me for being sick and morbid?
for entering in a vlog where some guy kill himself? and that I could of done somthing?
is that any more morbid than seeing an add on tv for african charitys, looking at all the starving kids and flicking the tv to try and forget about it?
is that any more morbid than walking down a street and pretend not to see a homeless person begging for change?
i think there are alot more sadistac things in this world than some idoit offing himself on the internet
step back and give yourself a reality bitch slap

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Because thats the start of a slippery slope,people have the choice of vistiting numerous forums,chatrooms etc...if you give the politicans even one reason to start clamping down it will start a snowball effect.Yes there is alot of unpleasent places on the net,but id take that any day of the weeks as opposed to restricted censored internet.
[edit on 21-11-2008 by Solomons]

But where do we draw the line?

Of course we don't want to be censored, but at the same time, some kind of moderation is necessary in order to monitor such sites, especially when emotionally unstable individuals are threatening to kill themselves.

In my opinion, if there's a threat, it should always be taken seriously.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

is that any more morbid than walking down a street and pretend not to see a homeless person begging for change?

We don't all ignore beggars.

Regardless, there is a huge difference between a beggar begging for spare change, and a teenager threatening to kill himself online.

We all have our moral values, it's just that some of us weigh them differently.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

i was there and watched it
was funny at first because you get 100's off peoplea week on vlog sites saying "oh get me a few 100 viewers and il kill myself (an hero)" suppose we shoulda done somthing
but eh, if he was going to do it anyways there would be no way for us to stop him i suppose

Number one.... I dont believe you.

Number two... if its true you are a wit..... see if you can work that out.

Number three... Hasnt your mummy called you in yet, must be past your bed time

Number four.... where the hell is your sense of common good? Or do you just like bloodsports.

You can count me off your christmas list.

FOE... you are my first.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

You dont have to believe me

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Runningtobabylon

You are clearly an idiot who is trying to sound tough. Given your current lack of wisdom and intellect I would say its probably time to move out of your parents basement and into a real life.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

who trying to be the internet tough guy now?
im trying to point out that there are ALOT worse things in this world than some guy killing himself on the internet
theres been alot of people that have killed themselfs on the internet and they are nothing special , most of the time just narcissistic attention whores who think they will be rememberd, when really we will all forget in a few days or so
You people dont really care if he died or not, Be honest all you care about is the chance that you can look good
And that my freinds is the folly of the internet, But that is a diffrent story for a diffrent day
Long story short, He killed himself, Build a bridge, Get over it

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   

reply to post by jibeho

who trying to be the internet tough guy now?
im trying to point out that there are ALOT worse things in this world than some guy killing himself on the internet
theres been alot of people that have killed themselfs on the internet and they are nothing special , most of the time just narcissistic attention whores who think they will be rememberd, when really we will all forget in a few days or so
You people dont really care if he died or not, Be honest all you care about is the chance that you can look good
And that my freinds is the folly of the internet, But that is a diffrent story for a diffrent day
Long story short, He killed himself, Build a bridge, Get over it

Ok then

I was nice before.

You are in my mind, without a doubt, a dope.

It would be nice if you didn't post your rubbish here anymore.

In fact.... just go away little boy.

This world doesnt need your vitriol

Goodbye.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I remember hearing somewhere that you could more or less divide suicides into two groups, and I don't mean the method used necessarily. It's about witnesses, weather they are present or not. For example people jumping off roofs choose that way because there are people present, and in some way they are not alone at the time of death. Kinda seems the same with the internet, it's not some new wave of suicides or anything - I reckon the levels have stayed more or less the same (I don't know) just progression with the tech.

Also, along the same kind of theme, I heard that this is one reason why train companies are reluctant to remove driver from trains that could be automated - they feel that less people would throw them selves under a train with a driver - but conversely - or perversely? some would want to throw them selves under a train with a driver.

If anyone figures out why any one does anything... Do us a favour put it down in writing - got a feeling it would make you very rich.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
I remember hearing somewhere that you could more or less divide suicides into two groups, and I don't mean the method used necessarily. It's about witnesses, weather they are present or not. For example people jumping off roofs choose that way because there are people present, and in some way they are not alone at the time of death. Kinda seems the same with the internet, it's not some new wave of suicides or anything - I reckon the levels have stayed more or less the same (I don't know) just progression with the tech.

Also, along the same kind of theme, I heard that this is one reason why train companies are reluctant to remove driver from trains that could be automated - they feel that less people would throw them selves under a train with a driver - but conversely - or perversely? some would want to throw them selves under a train with a driver.

If anyone figures out why any one does anything... Do us a favour put it down in writing - got a feeling it would make you very rich.

Great input.

Thats is a great reply, and food for thought.

(Trouble is its past 3.00am and I'll have to sleep on that)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join