It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenager commits suicide live online while 1,500 people watch

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by nh_ee

wow, so what if this kid kill himself..... The only thing I have to say he had the freedom to do so.

Now you suggest that monitoring a website isn't enough???

I own my own website and seriouly people make a living hell to webmasters.

I mean we currently got a law now that anyone in the U.S. that owns a website is responsible for any content stored in their servers.

This was recently made due to the fact of youtube and myspace getting tooken to court for having copyright material stored on their servers by users.

So now we as webmasters have to create a website that can detect copyright material or atleast some way to remove any copyright material.

I know this is sad to see a 19 year old kill himself on the internet but the webmasters are not to be blamed.

There is no way for a webmaster to call the cops to go after this kid in time.

So if you seeking more laws to put on the webmasters you just make it worst.

Most webmasters are trying to leave the U.S due to too much laws and regulations.

I currently am doing so also.

to me I don't see how the U.S is a free country when every year we create more and more laws and regulations and expect every American to know each law.

I mean there is so many laws in the U.S that lawyers don't even know they have to only learn basic laws and then learn how to research latest laws by going to a law library.

I am just saying that we don't need more laws there is no way to avoid these things.

If a person wants to kill himself he will do so and no law will stop him from doing it but will make the people around the person have a horrible day being accused or pointed at that they could of done something different.

I have notice in America if your by a person that killed himself or got killed by someone the cops will think it's you since your by the area and may seem suspicious by the cops.

All I am saying we need less regulations and laws for webmasters.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
i don't mean to sound insensetive, but really, what did he expect? If you have ever been on any of the popular image boards and chat boards like the one he was on when he did this, then you know the atmosphere. It is ALWAYS corrosive, and idle threats are made daily by so many people, and then add in the fact that the kid was known for just this kind of thing, he had made idle threats in the past, and members knew it. Was he really expecting a flood of "no don't do it! there is so much to live for!" NO. He KNEW what kind of response he was gonna get, IMO he wanted his death to be remembered so he did things this way. Is it horrible? Yes i suppose it is, but lot's of things are. I feel that by giving this the attention we have already, he has done what he set out to do. I just can't respect anyone who takes their life, i remember when i was a teenager and Kurt Cobain shot himself, i ripped down all my Nirvana posters and threw away the albums.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

that's not true at all, as an Artist, I rely on my euphoria and my depression to fuel my livelyhood.

I actually get paid more when I am depressed than when I am not.

So contrast that with suicide... everyone who commits suicide is dead. That's the only generalization you can make that is true.

What was your point again?

So are you saying depression doesn't affect people's lives in negative ways such as being a good parent, being a good employee, etc.? And if you say that it does affect it, then my POINT is that depression can be termed as a natural selection (the people who are depressed will then not be as successful). So furthermore, my question is, why should anyone care about it in your mind since you do not care about suicide because it is natural selection? Why should people care about blindness, as that is natural selection? You can't just dismiss one thing as natural selection. And if you dismiss everything as natural selection, and not caring, then do you advocate killing babies with deformities or people who incur illnesses later in life? Thank you.

No what I'm saying is that if it doesn't directly impact survival and the ability to procreate then it isn't on the radar of evolution.

Evolution only cares about life moving forward, it could care less about how happy that life is.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

No what I'm saying is that if it doesn't directly impact survival and the ability to procreate then it isn't on the radar of evolution.

Evolution only cares about life moving forward, it could care less about how happy that life is.

When you are depressed, especially for women, you are less likely to procreate and especially bring your kids up. So yes it can be termed as natural selection.

So do you care about people who are born with diseases where they cannot procreate? Or they have developmental problems? You know that is natural selection too. So are you going to just dismiss those and say you don't care? Do you care about people having terminal cancer who will die and thus not be able to procreate? Guess what NATURAL SELECTION.

I am sure you care about these things. So don't try to look bad ass and just dismiss suicide as natural selection. People may start thinking you are a sociopath
But maybe that is what you want people to think? The bad ass depressed sociopathic artist.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
the guy wanted help, but the Internet is the last place he should've looked. It disturbs me, because the Internet was obviosly a large part of his social life, just as it is for so many other people. I just wish when things like this happens, people don't turn towards the Internet. It can be a horrible place for comfort.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

I don't think he turned to the internet for confort. I am sure he wanted alot of people to see him die. So it will be on the news or somthing.

He didn't want to kill himself without anyone knowning or just his family know or anyone close to him.

He wanted others to see him die so killing himself wont be a waste.

this is how I looked at it. Since the internet is a tool to have a huge communication with many people around the world.

so anything that happens on the internet will be seen by many people.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Runningtobabylon
reply to post by jibeho

who trying to be the internet tough guy now?
im trying to point out that there are ALOT worse things in this world than some guy killing himself on the internet
theres been alot of people that have killed themselfs on the internet and they are nothing special , most of the time just narcissistic attention whores who think they will be rememberd, when really we will all forget in a few days or so
You people dont really care if he died or not, Be honest all you care about is the chance that you can look good
And that my freinds is the folly of the internet, But that is a diffrent story for a diffrent day
Long story short, He killed himself, Build a bridge, Get over it

You are completely wrong, and a perfect example of everything I have described.

You think a person ending their life is no big deal, and you think that people watching that and encouraging them to do it is perfectly fine and normal too?

You can make comparisons all you like, it doesn't detract from the fact that you had a moral obligation to a fellow Human and you sat back and laughed, and are still laughing now.

You are a perfect example of the kind of youth that has no respect for life, no respect for others and extremely little morality. In my opinion.

Here is what should have happened...
Kid threatens to end his life on a blog or video site.
You contact the moderators or operators of the site and express your concerns.
Turn off your computer, go outside and interact with others and be a little more healthy.

Job done.

You are simply supposed to have enough compassion, and have a sane enough mind, not to glorify the scenario, encourage the actions of a disturbed person or enjoy watching their pain! It's that simple!

Dress it up all you like, but a person ENCOURAGING another to kill themselves is not funny, not acceptable and certainly not normal (psychologically speaking).

As for the censorship discussed here, I too am against policing of the internet by Big Brother. That's not my argument here.

In no sane society should this be acceptable, and all those involved should be shown that this isn't right, by naming and shaming them in public.

Fact: these sick individuals encouraged an emotionally disturbed person to end their life for their entertainment. Whether they expected him to do it or not, they enjoyed the chase, and they were well aware of what the possible outcome would be.

Imagine if this had happened in a street somewhere. Don't you think those baying for blood and shouting at someone to kill themselves would be facing prison terms right now?

Why does distance make this somehow more acceptable?

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

When you are depressed, especially for women, you are less likely to procreate and especially bring your kids up. So yes it can be termed as natural selection.

So do you care about people who are born with diseases where they cannot procreate? Or they have developmental problems? You know that is natural selection too. So are you going to just dismiss those and say you don't care? Do you care about people having terminal cancer who will die and thus not be able to procreate? Guess what NATURAL SELECTION.

I am sure you care about these things. So don't try to look bad ass and just dismiss suicide as natural selection. People may start thinking you are a sociopath
But maybe that is what you want people to think? The bad ass depressed sociopathic artist.

Natural Selection has nothing to do with what I care about...

However, what I don't care about is suicidal people. I just don't have the time to waste on the dead. Sucidal people are a drain on society and their families.

As Jesus said.. ."let the dead bury the dead"

Now for the vicitms of suicide, such as the mother left behind to find her child... yes I have great sympathy.. but not for the perpetrator of such an act.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by computerwiz32

Well as much as that makes sense, I think the guy wanted help. He was already set on punishing himself, so suicide was going to happen, but why else would he let other's witness it live? He said he forgave other's just not himself. I don't know. I just know he no longer wanted pain and suicide was all the help he could ever want it that point.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

More than likely, he wanted people to witness it live because suicide is , by and large, a selfish act which means nothing without an audience.

It's all about the impact on the survivors.

"This will show them!"

Bah.. whatever, I have no use for the suicidal.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

However, what I don't care about is suicidal people. I just don't have the time to waste on the dead. Sucidal people are a drain on society and their families.

Now for the vicitms of suicide, such as the mother left behind to find her child... yes I have great sympathy.. but not for the perpetrator of such an act.

So then you care about people with cancer even if that is natural selection. So why then just say you don't care about people who commit suicide? Why do you have to bring natural selection into it? And why are suicidal people a drain on society? They are dead. Depressed people and sick people and old people are drains on society. But we care about them. Again, do not bring up these academic reasons for why you dont care about people who commit suicide such as "natural selection" and "they are a drain on society (when they aren't)" if you are not going to apply it to everything.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
What a shame.

It seems this guy was deeply unhappy, yet at the same time overjoyed with other parts of his life.

He knew things about himself and felt there was no other option.

It is really tough for anyone to age gracefully. This current society spews filth and destruction in all shapes and forms.

Reminds me of the guy who shot himself on the stock exchange shop floor the other week.

There is always something that will push someone over the edge.

Yes there are many things to live for, yet there are things that we all know we could all do without.
We tend to remember the bad times far more than the good.
The lack of education into humanity, it's strengths and weaknesses and underlying human emotions is an area that must be worked upon, expanded and taught to us in such a manner that it could benefit everyone.

Maybe then we might see the end to pointless wastes of superb, outstanding, caring and sensitive people from all walks of life.

My thoughts go out to everyone who ever knew this guy.
May his spirit travel far and wide and learn the truths of the cosmos in order to help his soul find its peace, ready for whatever lies beyond.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   

"This will show them!"

Wow...you have no clue. Grant it most teenage suicides are spur of the moment acts, however most adult suicides are the product of long term depression or illness.

Long term depression doesn't make you want to "prove something" or "get even" it just makes you want it all to stop. To fall asleep forever. It is not about glory, just about peace.

The primarily reason a lot of depressed people do NOT off themselves is simply because they worry about the survivors. People with long term clinical depression will die via suicide about 15% of the time.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

So then you care about people with cancer even if that is natural selection.

It depends... are they suicidal?

If yes, then no I don't.

So why then just say you don't care about people who commit suicide? Why do you have to bring natural selection into it?

Because it is my way of saying... good riddance. That the suicide itself was not in vain, but justified.

And why are suicidal people a drain on society? They are dead.

They are a drain whilst they are alive. I've been acquainted with many so-called suicidal people and all they want to do is wallow in self-pity and not listen to anything anyone says.

If someone says to me they may kill themself, I usually request they do something dramatic like jump off a roof, because I've never seen that. I tell them that they have to give me enough time to cook some popcorn and draw a crowd.

Depressed people and sick people and old people are drains on society. But we care about them.

Yes, but that's because they are not directly causing their illness.

Any person who is the direct cause of their illness or has no desire to help themselves, I just don't care for.

Again, do not bring up these academic reasons for why you dont care about people who commit suicide such as "natural selection" and "they are a drain on society (when they aren't)" if you are not going to apply it to everything.

Academic?

First off... My second wife was suicidal.. that's hardly academic. Although it might explain my disdain for the suicidal.

Second off, My father died of cancer when I was 17. He had throat cancer, and then pancreatic cancer. Pretty well expected for someone who smoked 3 packs a day and drank a 6 pack a day and never exercised.

He was a drain on my family while alive because he was always abusive and, which is to be expected from an alcoholic in denial. He was a bastard to live with when he was healthy and we had to take care of him when he was sick.. The day he died was such a relief because his tyranny over the family was done.

So don't claim these are academic reasons.... I just don't care for anyone who is basically a pyschic vampire.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

"This will show them!"

Wow...you have no clue. Grant it most teenage suicides are spur of the moment acts, however most adult suicides are the product of long term depression or illness.

Long term depression doesn't make you want to "prove something" or "get even" it just makes you want it all to stop. To fall asleep forever. It is not about glory, just about peace.

Let them have their peace then. I just don't believe that suicide should take up any of the energy of those who love life.

I agree that not all is about an audience. Those who commit suicide without an audience don't want my pity either, so we are good either way.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

they are a drain whilst they are alive. I've been acquainted with many so-called suicidal people and all they want to do is wallow in self-pity and not listen to anything anyone says.

If someone says to me they may kill themself, I usually request they do something dramatic like jump off a roof, because I've never seen that. I tell them that they have to give me enough time to cook some popcorn and draw a crowd.

I'll just highlight why I am quoting you... and what I have written a couple of posts up...

The lack of education into humanity, it's strengths and weaknesses and underlying human emotions is an area that must be worked upon, expanded and taught to us in such a manner that it could benefit everyone.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Oh my god...he actually died? Many people said the dosage he took would just cause him to sleep for a few hours and wouldn't kill him.

The link to his live stream was posted on /b/, and it was crazy. He ODed on drugs (The name eludes me). A few hours later, police came and kicked down his door. A piece of the door hit his body while EMTs and police were checking to see if he was ok. One of the cops put a towel over the webcam once he saw the people in the chatroom go hysterical.

R.I.P candyjunkie

[edit on 11/21/2008 by Hyzera]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

So don't claim these are academic reasons.... I just don't care for anyone who is basically a pyschic vampire.

Your reasoning is academic. You are using evolutionary science and economics to justify you saying you don't care for suicidal people. Which is fine, if those are the true reasons. They aren't though because if they were, then you wouldn't care for old people and sick people either.

So you can bring up any life experience you want, but it is your problems that make you not like suicidal people and dismiss their quandaries. Don't use scientific and economic reasoning to support your demented view on not caring that people who are hurting kill themselves.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunkaLet them have their peace then. I just don't believe that suicide should take up any of the energy of those who love life.

I agree that not all is about an audience. Those who commit suicide without an audience don't want my pity either, so we are good either way.

I believe people should have the right to kill themselves if that is what they want to do, and I think most people overreact to it but then again most people overreact to any subject that touches on death. (Though people should put the needs of dependants first if at all possible).

However I don't see the need to have nasty, condescending attitude towards those that choose that route (though if they do it on the net that is a different story, they ask for public ridicule). You seem to feel superior, or despise them. I really don't care if people choose to off themselves either, but I don't feel the need to mock their pain or their choice in final outcomes.

But perhaps your reaction is more fear based, perhaps the idea of death scares you so much that bravado and a crass attitude is merely a cover.

[edit on 21-11-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Oh good God. Judge Judy like's to say words don't hurt people. Thats B.S. Words have started and ended wars, given people peace or invoked hatred. There are vulnerable people out there for what ever reason. try not to cause any more pain then you have to.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join