It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 391
<< 388  389  390    392  393  394 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
On Thursday unemployment comes out...it will be interesting to see how high that is and what that does to the markets. Everyone believes that the markets are going to go down. I guess that means we edge higher

the government controlling it with all there money, so who knows.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
DJIA -100 at 14:56....
Let's take some bets!

A big bump to -50 or even higher is where my money is at...

:Edit:
Aaaaand I FAIL.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by nydsdan]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

I would be highly surprised if unemployment is "better than expected" .. so far only the markets have been rallying, the general economy is in shambles.. I have not heard any talk though on extending unemployment benefits, has anyone else?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

The only thing that I have heard about extending unemployment benefits is that they were tucked away into some bill that passed or is up to be voted on or something like that.

I know in the Cap and Trade bill, there is unemployment benefits for 2 or 3 years, new job training, and it pays for their medical insurance.

That is about the way things are going, just shove through things without reading them.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
More bad news that AP hasn't bothered to file in light of their "Feel Good" policy...

Delinquencies Double on Least-Risky Loans

Prime mortgages 60 days or more past due climbed to 2.9 percent of such loans through March 31 from 1.1 percent at the same point in 2008, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Office of Thrift Supervision said today in a report. First-time foreclosure filings on the loans rose 22 percent from the fourth quarter, the report said.

Serious delinquencies on prime loans, which account for two-thirds of all U.S. mortgages, rose to 661,914 in the first quarter from 250,986 a year earlier, according to the report. Overall, mortgages 60 days or more past due rose 88 percent from last year, the report said.

Mortgages modified to help struggling borrowers stay in their homes fail within nine months more than half the time, the report said. About 53 percent of mortgages modified in the first quarter of 2008 were 30 or more days delinquent after six months; 63 percent were in default after a year.

The data shows 5.9 percent of the 21.8 million Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac loans serviced by national banks or thrifts were at least days 30 days late, in foreclosure or subject to bankruptcy, compared with 3.2 percent a year earlier.

The report covers the performance of 34 million loans totaling $6 trillion, the agencies said.

bloomberg
OTS 09-036 - OCC and OTS Release Mortgage Metrics Report for First Quarter 2009

Seems like things are starting to unravel for the Obama plan to save homeowners

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Can one of you stockmarket superbrains explain this to me? Why does it seem when we have a violent plunge on some days (like today) it seems to just suddenly stop and level out for the rest of the day?

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

this was hardly a violent plunge... it could have been...
you'll get a lot of answers to your question some will say bargain hunters buying up everything... there is some of that going on... some will say the super mega corps start damage control and buy back their stocks to keep them from becoming worthless.... yes they do that too...still others will say the TPTB are stepping in and propping up the markets, seems more probable everyday...

there's a lot of things happening all at once for any one right answer and with all the creative math and accounting smoke-n-mirrors going on it becoming really hard to trust any predictions

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

A violent plunge goes flat when computer trading is suspended after the market falls through some point range. Todays drop probably ended after the majority of sell stops were taken out. Either that or there were a lot of buy stops triggered at that level set by some large institutional trader. The institutional trader will unload those at a better time.

The revised UK 1st quarter GDP numbers were revised down from -1.9% to -2.4%. Thats 26% lower than the sheeple were told. Other world governments must be using the same strategy of reporting better than expected numbers revising them downward later when fewer people are watching.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

I wish that was violent brother.

You should go back to late 2008 intraday if you want violent 600 pt moves in one hour lol

But usually the pro's sell off in the morning (bc they deal in futures, and they can get out of anything faster than any retail player) and that is the name of the game.

Today's action was an ordinary setup infact.. happens quite a bit.. but you have to watch the markets everyday to see it.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

lol, I guess violent was a bit of a strong word. Comparative to the rest of the trading day I would consider it "violent". Thanks for the responses everyone!

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife

The only thing that I have heard about extending unemployment benefits is that they were tucked away into some bill that passed or is up to be voted on or something like that.

I know in the Cap and Trade bill, there is unemployment benefits for 2 or 3 years, new job training, and it pays for their medical insurance.

That is about the way things are going, just shove through things without reading them.

2-3 years? Good lord, I would get a job and find a way to get laid off just so I could have a 3 year vacation .. I don't think the States will stand for extending the benefits much longer.. having several million people collecting all at once is hard on the States. Still it is interesting, and that's why I brought it up .. it's like a two edge sword. We extend the benefits and we prevent families from loosing everything.. however, dependency will grow. Cut the benefits off and you spur into action people that will have to work for self betterment, though the effects on the economy could be catastrophic. Something that definitely needs to be reviewed and have the pros and cons weighed.. though like you say, they will likely shove it into a bill and pass without many noticing.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Here is the text of the bill It will take awhile to load.

section 426

Climate Change Adjustment Allowance-CommentsClose CommentsPermalink

(1) ELIGIBILITY- Payment of a climate change adjustment allowance shall be made to an adversely affected worker covered by a certification under section 425(b) who files an application for such allowance for any week of unemployment which begins on or after the date of such certification, if the following conditions are met:CommentsClose CommentsPermalink

(A) Such worker’s total or partial separation before the worker’s application under this part occurred--CommentsClose CommentsPermalink

(i) on or after the date, as specified in the certification under which the worker is covered, on which total or partial separation began or threatened to begin in the adversely affected employment;CommentsClose CommentsPermalink

(ii) before the expiration of the 2-year period beginning on the date on which the determination under section 425(d) was made; andCommentsClose CommentsPermalink

(iii) before the termination date, if any, determined pursuant to section 425(d)(3).CommentsClose CommentsPermalink

(B) Such worker had, in the 52-week period ending with the week in which such total or partial separation occurred, at least 26 weeks of full-time employment or 1,040 hours of part time employment in adversely affected employment, or, if data with respect to weeks of employment are not available, equivalent amounts of employment computed under regulations prescribed by the Secretary. For the purposes of this paragraph, any week in which such worker--CommentsClose CommentsPermalink

(i) is on employer-authorized leave for purposes of vacation, sickness, injury, maternity, or inactive duty or active duty military service for training;CommentsClose CommentsPermalink

(ii) does not work because of a disability that is compensable under a workmen’s compensation law or plan of a State or the United States;CommentsClose CommentsPermalink

(iii) had his employment interrupted in order to serve as a full-time representative of a labor organization in such firm; orCommentsClose CommentsPermalink

(iv) is on call-up for purposes of active duty in a reserve status in the Armed Forces of the United States, provided such active duty is ‘Federal service’ as defined in section 8521(a)(1) of title 5, United States Code,CommentsClose CommentsPermalink

shall be treated as a week of employment.

I agree, the states can't keep doling out money they don't have. Not to mention with the economy hemorrhaging jobs like it is they are losing people to pay into it. Not to mention most jobs are only hiring part-time so they don't have to pay benefits.

There is all kinds of nasty stuff in this bill. They are trying to say this will create jobs, but if that is the case then why do they have a whole part dedicated to unemployment?

This bill will assimilate us all into the collective. I really wish I was joking with that sentence, but I'm not.

[edit on 30-6-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

Thanks for the text. I have noticed lately that all Bills being presented that Obama favors is being touted as a "This Bill will create jobs!" or, save the planet and create jobs. A play on the emotion, the American people want to feel like their politicians are up late every night thinking of ways to improve their economy.... when in reality that's far from the truth, but they say what ever they are doing is beneficial.... creating jobs... even if in reality they are just paying off special interest, lining their own pockets, taxing us more and causing our cost of living to rise.

The military advisers no doubt are already warning that continued abuse to our mental psychy and the break down of trust will surely result, sooner or later, in armed insurrection. It's the only plausible outcome of such abuses.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

No problem.

Yea, they are trying to play up this crisis strategy and they are finding out, like all other progressive hair-brained tactics that have never been tried before, people just don't like being feared into making major decisions, so now they are trying to, as you say, tug at our heart strings and get us to try not to worry about it even though that don't read the freaking bills.

I'm sure of it, and I'm sure the general's are right there telling him whatever he wants to hear when in reality a Honduras situation will happen.

I could tell you some more stuff that wouldn't come to as a surprise to you, but the people pulling the strings are literally living in their fantasy land and think they can pull this off.

I'm going to send you a U2U about what more I know.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Futures are up even if the ADP report is worse than expected... making good news out of bad news? Again, but more obvious.

And California and many other states can't pay their bills...

ADP Estimates U.S. Companies Cut Payrolls by 473,000

Economists forecast the ADP report would show a decline of 395,000 jobs, according to the median of 29 estimates in a Bloomberg News survey. Projections ranged from decreases of 280,000 to 532,000.

A Labor Department report tomorrow may show employers cut 363,000 workers from payrolls in June and unemployment rose to a 26-year high of 9.6 percent. The increase from May’s 9.4 percent jobless rate would be the smallest since November 2008.

Yep... Again.

And California..

Muni Downgrades Add Risk, Prize to Bond Game: Jane Bryant Quinn

Warren Pierson, senior portfolio manager of the Baird Intermediate Municipal Bond Fund in Milwaukee, says no to the country’s fiscally weakest state. California’s credit rating could drop to BBB from A today, he says, raising yields even further. “We would then most likely get involved.”

By involved.. you mean buying California bonds with pension money?

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I don't know that any bill can create jobs at this point. Sure building new highways sounds like a good way to get people back to work but with the states facing huge budgets deficits I'm starting to wonder if the TARP Stimulus monies are going to have to be used just to maintain basic infrastructure. Schools Police and fire departments....

Man I would love to be a fly on the wall of the Capital building today as the meetings about what to do with states on the verge of collapse take place... I'm betting that as we've seen in the past the TPTB will overreact.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Already about 16 states can not afford unemployment anymore, the just keep borrowing upon their state deficits to be able to afford the states budgets.

My state is one of them, as local taxes are already max out and is no enough income generated is not only the Federal government the one feeling the pinch.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Avarus

Its cool

It could have been violent if you were on the line holding some futures contracts though most definately..

Anyways, just for fyi - the markets move the most at beginning of the day at 930am and at the end around 315-400

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
With those kind of stupid moves since march, it looks like they are pushing for a dollar collapse and a strong stock market.

Or as Bilderberg wants... a last stock market surge before the final collapse... we'll see before the year's end.

posted on Jul, 1 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
With those kind of stupid moves since march, it looks like they are pushing for a dollar collapse and a strong stock market.

Or as Bilderberg wants... a last stock market surge before the final collapse... we'll see before the year's end.

Who said Bilderberg wants THAT? Though I think this whole market has become a charade, I just don't feel comfortable entering equities.

top topics

<< 388  389  390    392  393  394 >>

join