It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
As a result of the obvious need for up-to-the minute market data within the GM forum I wish to start an 'official thread' with this as the sole focus.

Anyone with significant news regarding data from the world's financial markets is encouraged to post here. This will enable all posters to readily access the information that makes for well-informed discussion.

While raw data is always very welcome, graphs and charts would also make great additions.

Hopefully contributors will at least sometimes analyze what they see as notable events, with the result that virtually all threads in the forum will potentially be enhanced, insofar as they can easily keep pace with events.

If enough people agree to commit to posting here regularly, it will be possible for everyone to bounce in and out of this thread without the incessant need to refer to outside sources.

(I suspect the mods would tolerate one-liners for our purposes here.)

Let's make this worthy of ATS...

[edit on 17/10/08 by pause4thought]

Mod edit: removed the word "Official" in the title.

[edit on 26 Apr 09 by Gools]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This is a good idea but what would make it better is a live streaming chart in top post so the thread's always up to date. I don't know how that could be done though... any moderators know if it can be done?

edit: I can add a gold spot price chart here (because kitco uses a gif file updated every few minutes it should always be current)

[edit on 10/17/2008 by mythatsabigprobe]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Hi. This thread has come about as a result of my campaign for a live streaming chart!

BBQ Campaign for a GM Market Data Chart

This thread is the current alternative.

Time to get some data in here...

[edit to add:]

Nice edit to add a chart, MTBP!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Thanks, but that's the only chart I know that uses gif files. Everything else is a java application and I don't think we can embed java scripts in the forum threads. Gold price doesn't move with the market so I'm not sure how much use it is.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
More importantly what use would be embedding real time charts in the context of a in-the-moment conversation? All historical value would be lost.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I think this would be a great idea; would be nice not to have to switch so many screens when covering the world markets.

On that note, what sources are people currently using to get real-time market data? Any suggestions?

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

...everything else is a java application...

That's the point of the thread. Significant movements can just be reported, whether with typed numerical data or with a snapshot of a chart.

Incidentally, gold has been fluctuating pretty wildly lately. Current falls seem pretty counter-intuitive:

Source: 66.38.218.33... (Note: a good source for historical as well as current data.)

[edit to fix link & add:]

Mainer - nice lateral thinking. That means this thread should always serve a very useful purpose, live data chart or no.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mainer
More importantly what use would be embedding real time charts in the context of a in-the-moment conversation? All historical value would be lost.

Oh yeah... doh!

I'll see if I can get some good current charts..

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well I think ive figured it out.
Why they are crashing the markets and withholding liquidity.
Why they have done this massive manipulation even dating back to 2004 when they removed the uptick rule.
To make it look like Obama's policy's cant be afforded.
That's all its about.That's it.
They want to win this election off the hope of Obama looking like he can promise the world and not pay for it.
They will make it look like there is no money, and then try and win on cutbacks and spending and saving.
And they want Obama to lose from saying hes going to spend to much.
Because they cant rig it this time because people are watching them.
Another terrorist attack is way out of the question.
No one is favorable upon war.
So they are going to use this to try and steal power.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Finally I can contribute something.

Here goes:

This is a brief overview of the markets in .gif format:

quotes.ino.com...

Next up, world markets:
www.indexq.org...

Again more markets this time with commodities:
sites3.barchart.com...

Asian Market real time from yahoo:
finance.yahoo.com...

Now some articles pertaining to recent events.

www.canada.com... - How we got here by Reuven Brennen.

www.321gold.com... - Financial History in the Making

globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com... - Mish's Economic Trend
Analysis

www.theinternationalforecaster.com...

Hope that helps. I don't know about the rules on posting other forums web info but if anyone wants a great overall forum to learn about what is happening in the financial world just u2u me.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Considering the recents hoaxes, attacks, election year, and numerous other factors- I'm betting dollars to donuts the staff is quite busy.

I think this is a good 'cheap fix' to your idea in the BBQ Forum.

I support this thread 100%. Star and flag!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Oh good, you did it!
I will use this thread to post the updates from now. Nice job!!

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Brent352

Brent, that was out of sight. I'll be referring back to the sources you posted regularly. Great to have you on board. I trust people have noted your generous offer too.

It seems this is catching on already.

I find the BBC data very helpful as a quick reference point:

BBC Market Data page

Their 'Business' page is a good starting point for news too:

BBC Business Homepage

Finally, this:

BBC Financial Crisis World Round-Up

(If these links don't work outside the UK, could you please post links to the same pages and state what country they apply to - as the BBC website is to a certain extent country-dependent. Thanks.)

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Let's see if this works - a CNBC chart of the DOW showing 10 years. It's interactive so you can look back days, months, etc.

Dow Chart

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Here is a GREAT One that aggregates worldwide indices in one place !

www.indexrecord.com...

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Here is another good reference point for up-to-date data with concise analysis:

World Business Reports

(Audio clips with updates 10 times a day, plus a selection of more specific news clips.)

This is taken from the current clip, which as of today both serves as an interesting current roundup and (potentially) a notable historical record:

It's been a crazy week. In terms of the DOW, we've had a day where the index went up by 936 points, then it fell by 733. On another day it rose by 401. Its crazy...

...For the US economy the data were pretty bad... [The consumer sentiment index] fell as sharply today as it ever has in its history of being a monthly index. The current conditions reading for the US economy hit its lowest since its been a monthly index.

We had a sharp fall in housing starts and permits - the permits down at the lowest in 25 years, and the starts data arguably about as weak as they've been in about 30 years or more.

We had a sharp drop in the manufacturing index from the Philadelphia Fed earlier in the week that gave us a level that is so low it's only weaker about 1 and a half percent of the time. We had sharp declines in retail sales and industrial production...

(Bob Brusca of Fact & Opinion Economics speaking)

Latest update (at close on Friday 17 October):

DOW finished down 127.04 (1.41%) at 8,852.

FTSE finished up 201.62 (5.22%) at 4063.01

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I'd like to thank the staff, FSME Relentless, & members for supporting this thread!

Oh and of course the pioneer of the idea pause4thought...

[edit on 19-10-2008 by Scramjet76]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
2:43 PM US Eastern Time:

A high-end endorsement for another stimulus package, surprising economic data and the promise of easier lending has traders feeling bullish.

smartmoney.com

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
It looks that the ratio between traders an investors has increased in favor of traders who don't regard the gloomy economic outlook as a prime factor in their activities. The buy/sell swings are very much apparent from recent DJI charts -- swings that are caused by traders. That means, unless there are long-term, strategy-influencing news out that the investors pay attention to, the market will keep oscillating within +-4.5% territory. The traders are not completely oblivious to the input from the outside, and so it would take some announcing to steer the market and see the gains/losses to exceed the present percentage level.

Here is a model how news can affect the curve performance:

October 9 was mighty eventful, the media dutifully reported, and the aftermath is pretty visible on the ATS scoreboard. The chart doesn't tell where the interest was centered at, but it's easy to figure out that it wasn't the Bigfoot nor Other-foot forum where the action took place: it was the Global Meltdown forum designed to handle this kind of world-wide hoopla.

And so the folks clicked GM, browsed and learned.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
The market closed on Wednesday outside the expected +-4.5% range and that means it reacted to some news that affects its performance. In midday, the DJI was comfortably heading downhill to meet the expected percentage loss within the interval, but then the rate of the descend increased. Here is the reason:

Though there has been some dispute about whether third-quarter earnings would be a significant market mover, stock futures faced intense pressure from the reports that came out before the bell Wednesday.

www.cnbc.com...

Did the market digest the news and would move on in its projected path tomorrow or not?

The final upward movement was caused by the traders buying low stock to sell at a higher price later. Faced with a gloomy economic outlook, the investors would try to sell non-performing stock to buy something more durable. And so after some gain in the morning both traders, who need to sell to make money, and investors, who will feel like diversifying, will join forces in selling. The downward movement will continue until the traders stop it. With a little aftershock, the DJI may lose 5.2% of its opening figure.

The anniversary of the Wall Street Crash of 1929 is around the corner. Wouldn't be nice to observe the anniversary by DJI losing 1929 points in one day? Actually there were two days of free fall -- October 28 and 29 with the initial precursor that took place on October 24 -- so this day will tell us how the bash would look like.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join