It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 334
<< 331  332  333    335  336  337 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Well, it buys and sells at MKT PRICE, and it is retained information, I mean it reflects what it buys and shorts at (obviously)

I only have this running on the YM and also the NAT GAS futures (but not experimented a whole lot, but I think I have found something equally as good)

The program I use for the YM wouldnt work with NAT GAS and Im sure wouldnt work with anything else, but the YM (because, trust me I have spent a lot of time on this..)

I could theoretically do this for all equities, but I would be 50 years old by the time I got done, so what I want to do is get REAALLY good with a couple and set up shop.

And yes, you need the margin + deposit + backup for the futures, as you already know you can short at the best bid etc..

But, of course, anything that can go wrong will of course, believe me when I say Im not the luckiest person in the world, so I totally dont discount it..

But anything is a gamble, but I think of it this way.

3-10 times I am profitable

7-10 times I am not

My gains usually exceed my losses by a lot obviously.. my system works like a real deal blackbox when the market is in a range of -200 to +200 days.. but its the whipsaws that worry me, espically if you have 5-10 contracts on the line, you can lose you shirt, not to mention your house in about 1 minute (as we have seen today)

I dont use stoplosses btw, but my system is just straightforward..

Either..

1. BUY ON GREEN INDICATOR

2. SELL ON RED

Nothing more, nothing less, I was finding when I stuck the human element of adding in an oscillator, volume etc.. that just ruined everything, and I rely on small losses of usually around 5-10 pts but my gains are usually 5x that.. so.. I mean its not perfect, but unless your last name is Bernanke you cant win all the time lol

EDIT: and for the life of me I cant find a system for the ESM9.. I mean that thing is all over the place, even on a 5 min scale... I tried a method where I would short/buy on high volatility bars on a 5 min scale.. it worked ok.. but i dont want to do anything but sit there and watch my program, or play golf etc...

[edit on 30-5-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

oh and just a laptop.. and I have no room at all lol.. i got a 19 inch widescreen and that isnt cutting it..

my brother in law can get 24in widescreen displays from his liquidator (off the back of a truck lol) for 275 a piece, so I think I am going to invest in a nice system here shortly..

here is my problem..

my employer, without revealing too much info is saying its an FINRA/SEC (cant remember) mandate that you can only have certain brokerages for yourself from now on AND THEY WERE ALL RUN OF THE MILL BS BROKERAGES.. because they monitor your trades now... so right now I am using INFINITY futures with sierra charting, and its DEF NOT USER FRIENDLY LOL.. but its fast and I like the platform

I havent asked yet if this includes futures contracts, bc it did not specifically say that, but it also outlined which ones you can only have.. so I might be totally F'd..

Im working for my dad like I said, so I might just keep saving capital, then either pay someone to trade for me (is that legal? prob. not lol) or when he retires, Ill decide not to take over the business if i am still dominating at this and go into the market.. its a tough call.. but studying for series 7 is tough enough for me, and i really have no interest in sucking kneecaps for investments into oil for a small 10% cut.. I think thats a waste of time.. not to mention all the paperwork.. its like being a god damn secretary

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

Hi Honey!

Dang I just replied to you the oil post

Now...yer mister "Chartography"...

Explain this...

What Was THAT? (Friday Market Close)
market-ticker.org...

Pleez?...I'll send you a picture of my friends swimming in my pool of gold!!!

Edit: 19"...hmmm...I use a 32' HD...my 17" Laptop...in my backpack...

[edit on 5/30/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

I'm a f-ing hot mess these days,thanks for asking,LOL!

Seriously: just trying to wrap what's left of my mind around all of this...y'all are blowing me away (in a good way!) but the levels of what's happening require more reading from me to grasp.What a crap shoot...or is that it all just crap???

Trying to keep up with the flu-chit (yep...it's still alive and well on anothe forum) that WILL have some outcome on our financial future in weeks ahead no doubt as well as trying to dodge the bullets of investing.

When did it all get so crazy? Will it ever end?

Biccy: get that damn blog going will ya'? Seriously...you're starting to scare me because I do think you've got a helluva' grasp for a young 'un!
I think you'd be able to make some money if you set it up right and that you'd have an active-audience!

Your mind goes too fast for me,LOL!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Yes, I am going to try today to hook up my laptop to my dad's HDTV, but if I had the bullion such as a man like yourself I would also have a sleepover backpack with a laptop lol

But for the time being, I am just going to have to squint and take it like the little B i am lol

More to come

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Yeah, my mind wanders a lot into tangents unknown haha

I got medicine for that, but it doesnt seem to help, but it does keep me fit! hahahaha

But seriously, whats up? Yeah, you dont have to say anything, I can feel it lol

I guess this will be my blog for now until I make a run at taking down zero hedge lol

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Yeah, if you look a couple of posts back RH posted the same thing, if you look at the ZH page he provided it gives a very detailed list of what happened.. and lets just say someone had a half billion just laying around to play with lol, or someone got liquidated, none of which I am familiar with

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by RolandBrichter

IMO I think we are in a bull flag (if you look at the daily charts)

But of course, anything could happen..

I don't think a weak dollar hurts us, but i DEF could be wrong

Here is something to look at

Its the futures on a daily chart.. I cant say what I think is going to happen, but it looks to me like a bull flag, you can draw your own conclusions of course or PM me

Dow Futures Daily -

Another example of how you can make money in these markets guys..

This was an easy call too..

Not only was it textbook, it was there for the taking for whoever put the work into it

If you look above at my old post, the chart stopped before the highlighted portion, now I know Friday was an anomaly but it doesn't discount from the easy gains that were to be had...

More to come..

Now here is the updated chart after that bullflag (IN THE HIGHLIGHTED PORTION)

Yes, thats a 40 POINT ES MINI Gain, which if you are trading one contract as RH knows is a sweet chunk of change, 2000 dollars I believe, just for using your head..

ES after the bull flag (HIGHLIGHTED IN GREEN SHADED BOX) $$$

EDIT: I know my other post was about the DOW, but the DOW and ES were showing the same bullflag, I am showing the updated ES MINI b/c thats the chart I have up on my cpu lol... could have played both and make a killing

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Just a heads up,

GM Bondholder Offer Expires; Auto Maker Declines Comment

General Motors on Saturday said it has no comment as the deadline for bondholders to accept U.S. government-brokered debt swap offer expired.

As the 5 pm deadline approached, more bondholders appeared to be favoring the revised proposal.

That marked a sharp change in tone from months of complaints that the Obama administration was bullying creditors in GM's bankruptcy-in-the-making because it favored the automaker's unionized workers.

Advisers to a group of GM institutional bond investors Friday issued an appeal to other bondholders to join in supporting terms of a deal that could give them 25 percent of a post-bankruptcy company in exchange for $27 billion in debt

more at link

another article on it

Stick 'em with a fork, GM is DONE!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Yes mr hat they are toast

Bondholders getting up to 25% now... way up from the original 10%

What I found funny was at first they were going to give equity holders a whole whopping 1% - WTF?

First of all, equity holders should never get a stake in BK, and 10% to bondholders?

Laughable

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Contract LAW states that the Bond Holders have 1st rights to all assets, they are supposed to get paid FIRST.

Stockholders get nothing

And the Union should not get more than the bondholders.

The bondholders are not getting 25%, they were offered about 10 cents on the dollar and stake in the company.

If they had wanted a stake in the company they would have invested int he stock, instead they bought the company's debt.

They are SUPPOSED to have first place in the "feeding trough" as GM is dissolved, but the Obama admin made the UAW the ones in first place.

Hopefully 200+ yrs of contract law will still have merit as this proceeds to court & the bondholders get their fair recompense.

~~~~~~

It just keeps getting better, would you buy a "NewCar"

Treasury Department Sets Up New Company for Chrysler

By Greg Robb WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- The Treasury Department said Friday it set up a new company to succeed Chrysler LLC. The new company, NewCarCo Acquisition LLC, is based in Wilmington, Del. On Wednesday, Treasury transferred $6.943 billion to the new company. Chrysler is in bankruptcy court seeking approval for a sale to Fiat SpA. Earlier, White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said the Obama administration is hopeful that the court will soon allow Fiat to complete its purchase of Chrysler.

Link

A limited liability company in Deleware - a KNOWN Tax Have. Boy Biden is bringin in the bacon isn't he?

And where does the Treasury get the authority to transfer money to this Corp without Congressional Approval??

[edit on 5/30/09 by redhatty]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
You would think if the majority of bondholders had gone for the deal it would be positive news that GM would want the media to hype?

Even if the deal fell through it only means that there will be a slightly longer litigation during the bankruptcy process while the bondholders sue doesn't it?

Edit:

More to the point the bondholders lawsuit won't keep *good GM* from emerging from bankruptcy without the *bad GM* toxic assets will it?

25% seems kind of a high return if it is to be paid from the sale of only the worthless, obsolete components and factory infrastructure that was planned to be put in *bad GM*.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Oh I know this, I think you misread my post..

EDIT:

Or maybe i typed it wrong

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I mean, do we keep rocketing up and up till new highs... prob. not.. but I wouldn't be shorting lets say at DOW 9500 if we see that soon

I don't short or buy at set amounts. I short or buy when sentiment is literally seething out of the markets and news' pores. I take the opposite. If everyone is saying this is the new bull market and it is a general consensus at 9500 then you better believe shorting vs. buying is more safe.

The economics behind it don't worry me, and I have never been concerned about them, personally I think its a waste of time, and I have never really taken the time to truly understand the intricate workings. Because honestly, THAT IS NEVER GOING TO MAKE YOU $$$$ unless you have PhD or something etc... and Im talking about REAL $$$ btw, not some $150,000 year BS job where you are ultimately someones B

Yes the trend is your friend, but the economics behind the markets is absolutely necessary to understand. The people who shorted the mortgage back securities did so because they understood the market was unstable and understood the economics of the market. Accounting, math and economics ALWAYS win in the long term. In the short term, no.

Also I have to tell you. I am glad you are doing well with virtual trading. But trading with REAL money is much different so I wouldn't get too ahead of myself. I am always more successful with virtual trading because that is the way you SHOULD trade. But real money that you worked hard for is much more difficult to manage.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Yes, so true

But I would do the same as if it was real $ or fake, because it is an automated trading program my friend

EDIT:

I guess then yes, if u understood very well and you shorted the MBS, you should be applauded, no doubt, and I agree very strongly, and in this case your understanding of economics would pay dividends

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Yes, so true

But I would do the same as if it was real $ or fake, because it is an automated trading program my friend

A lot of hedge funds (quant hedge funds) traded (and some still do) based on algorithms and mathematical modeling. Like you they believed that no emotion would be most successful. Most of these models failed and most of these hedge funds went bust. I think that it is important to have both an algorithmic trading system, technical anaylsis program and also your own analysis and thoughts. What system do you use? I use wizetrade if I want to trade for a day (I never use programs to trade longer than one day because this is a news driven market).

The markets ARE emotional though. That is why they are erratic and nonsensical at times.

One thing I am pretty ignorant about is tech. analysis.

[edit on 30-5-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Yes my automated trading program relies on emotion you could say.

I use sierra charts and infinity futures platform

And I know a lot of things went bust like that, but I do believe actually most trading is being done now the same way I am doing it.. (relating to big money) but I could be wrong.

And yes, I am a believer of having 0% emotion tied to trades..

I am going to post an example of what my trades and charts look like..

you either..

#1. Buy on green (and cover as well)

#2. Sell on Red (and short on red as well)

Pretty simple lol

This is the whole day for the YM

You will notice how sometimes I get "Chopped up" but like I said, i prob win 3 out of 10 times and lose 7 out of 10 times

But as you will see.. my gains are about 5x that of my losses.. But everyday is different of course..

Hopefully this clears some of your questions up

YM TRADING W/automated program

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Yes my automated trading program relies on emotion you could say.

I use sierra charts and infinity futures platform

And I know a lot of things went bust like that, but I do believe actually most trading is being done now the same way I am doing it.. (relating to big money) but I could be wrong.

And yes, I am a believer of having 0% emotion tied to trades..

I am going to post an example of what my trades and charts look like..

you either..

#1. Buy on green (and cover as well)

#2. Sell on Red (and short on red as well)

Pretty simple lol

This is the whole day for the YM

You will notice how sometimes I get "Chopped up" but like I said, i prob win 3 out of 10 times and lose 7 out of 10 times

But as you will see.. my gains are about 5x that of my losses.. But everyday is different of course..

Hopefully this clears some of your questions up

Last Friday in the YM with my automated program

It just seems too easy...

I don't like futures unless you have a lot of money or you are doing it for a reason (like if you are a multi national corporation and are hedging your products). Forex is also leveraged (100:1 usually). Which is why I do not trade forex much.

At least with stocks you can wait things out. With futures and options they expire worthless. And forex will wipe you out before you can wait.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
oh trust me futures will wipe you out the same lol..

and it seems too easy?

LOL

You know how much work I put into this thing brother?

I wish it was just that easy man, seriously..

EDIT:

I had to recorrect my link btw, because it was only from 630am I think, I expanded it so you can see the whole day 12:00am till close on friday evening , so you can go back to the post and click it again if you would like..

But i like futures, well YM futures and NAT GAS futures (at the moment)

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Must be one hell of a programmer / hacker, since RCG Onyx is not supported in Sierrachart.

If you can write code that well, you don't need to trade, you simply need to create the programs & sell them to others to get rich.

top topics

<< 331  332  333    335  336  337 >>

join