It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 336
<< 333  334  335    337  338  339 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Yeah, or "private wealth advisor" specifically

And there is a lot of dirtier areas around there.. but there is also a lot of other things going on in SF as well to promote this..

Ive been to WPB many times for dave matthews band shows, always had an eXcellent time

I do like the gulf side better though, dont know why.. maybe b/c of the jellyfish that come to the shore on the east coast lol.. hate those things

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan

Yeah, or "private wealth advisor" specifically

And there is a lot of dirtier areas around there.. but there is also a lot of other things going on in SF as well to promote this..

Ive been to WPB many times for dave matthews band shows, always had an eXcellent time

I do like the gulf side better though, dont know why.. maybe b/c of the jellyfish that come to the shore on the east coast lol.. hate those things

Private wealth advising seems boring. You'd probably be bored from it too since you seem to like the trading aspect of finance. Just save up some money and start trading. All you need is 2000 dollars (even less really). Not for futures or forex or options...I would stay away from them with just that amount. I mean...if you bought BAC back when it was at 3 dollars in early march with ma whole 2000, you'd have 8000 now. That is a very good amount to begin making some real money. Plain equities are best. I like buying stock rather than doing all the other crap anyway. Including shorting. I don't like shorting. Plus I got burned a few times shorting well fargo in January because I felt like it was going way down and I was a month late from making 50% of my money (I shorted at 16.10 and it went to 17 dollars in an hour after I shorted it). And the problem with futures, forex, options and shorting is that you don't OWN anything which can be nerve racking.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Well, I could post a whole 8000 character limit on this one lol

See here is the thing with futures..

You need an assload of capital..

For the YM I think its 2800 + reserves for one contract..

I could trade equities just as easy I suppose, but I dont know..

I love the volatility that the YM provides, at least using my program that is..

Yeah, you gave a good example, but how many times do you catch a x4 money making situation? Well a few months ago, a lot LOL

But I like the fact with futures, everything is on the table, no LEVEL 2 games, no MM, but there is DARK POOLS OF $$$.. that bothers me a bit, that sort of stuff doesn't provide for an equal marketplace IMO, but I guess thats one of the things you live with..

Honestly man, until I have prob. about 100,000 I wont do anything, just because when I do it, I am going to do it right.. and keep on practicing and fine tuning everything I have until then. Which of course is never a bad idea, but I usually have my backtesting going on for about 4-5 hours a day, then for the rest I try to come up with new algorithms.

Like I have said in previous posts, I would like to start a hedge fund, but there are so many rules regarding the marketing of this, I am afraid to say to much to endanger myself for the future

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

As well as my dad is pushing me to do all of this so I can take his business over, which I mean is awesome, but at the same time its not my cup of tea. And its not really his either, he holds 4 patents in electrical engineering, so its like his 2nd career, and he used to daytrade as well.. but couldnt handle the stress, he is a VERY UPTIGHT BIATCH - LOL

So there are many things to consider in life I guess you could say

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Yeah, you gave a good example, but how many times do you catch a x4 money making situation? Well a few months ago, a lot LOL

Yeah a few months ago you could have bought a piece of trash and made 4x your money...but one thing Jim Cramer says that I agree with, he says, there is always a bull market somewhere. Which is true. I do think we will go back to March lows or even below that if the "green shoots" turn out to be nothing. Which I believe they will be, maybe not until a few months. I also think there will be plenty more bankruptcies and that once the Federal Reserve has to sap up a lot of liquidity, the Libor rates will rise (which is why they are so low now, because there is so much cash but not a lot of things are being done/multiplier is weak so it is just sitting there). Rates are already rising despite what the fed. is doing. The only way to lower rates is 1) for the stock market to crash again, 2) print more money which will increase rates in the medium term anyway and increase inflation. If rates rise with inflation, that will be bad for the stock market in the medium term and could crash it. So there are plenty of hurdles that the market is throwing at the fed right now.

Honestly man, until I have prob. about 100,000 I wont do anything, just because when I do it, I am going to do it right.. and keep on practicing and fine tuning everything I have until then. Which of course is never a bad idea, but I usually have my backtesting going on for about 4-5 hours a day, then for the rest I try to come up with new algorithms.

Trade for some spending money then. I am telling you, you need to trade with some real money to get a real feel for things. I think it will be beneficial for you to trade with your money so you can feel and deal with pressure rather than just looking at virtual money that you don't care about losing.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Yeah I agree with your first paragraph, I could give you 5 equities right now that I think are great buying opportunities to hold for a few months

And yeah, I used to trade equities when I was back in high school, then lost it all of course as I already explained (BUYX)

This automated programming stuff is a new venture for me, I get bored with this easily, so my mind totally wanders from place to place looking for new things to do or investigate..

I dont discount what you are saying though. Before I obtain this much capital, I prob will start a "BASKET TRADE" and play around with that.. I cant resist, it kills me not to be in the market right now

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Yeah I agree with your first paragraph, I could give you 5 equities right now that I think are great buying opportunities to hold for a few months

And yeah, I used to trade equities when I was back in high school, then lost it all of course as I already explained (BUYX)

This automated programming stuff is a new venture for me, I get bored with this easily, so my mind totally wanders from place to place looking for new things to do or investigate..

I dont discount what you are saying though. Before I obtain this much capital, I prob will start a "BASKET TRADE" and play around with that.. I cant resist, it kills me not to be in the market right now

I never knew you could trade equities in high school. One being that you have to be 18 to open an account and two being that going to school from 7:40am-2:40pm makes it difficult to trade...Unless you were a senior and skipped a lot.

I get bored with everything easily
Send me those equities you think are holds and I'll research them for myself. I always like new ideas.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Yeah, redhatty tried to debunk me saying this as well lol

It was under my dads account, I just gave him the $$$

Ive been doing TA for about 10 years now lol - but at that time i wasnt that much into it.. just at that time I was buying things I knew etc..

It worked well till I ran into the buzzsaw haha

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Congress to approve IMF gold sale next week

LONDON: The International Monetary Fund's decisiion to sell its gold reserves could get the necessary approval from the US Congress next week.

At the G20 summit in London in April, participating countries agreed the IMF could sell 403.3 metric tons of gold as part of efforts to leverage up to $6 billion in concessional loans for low-income countries over the next few years.

In order for the sale to proceed, 85% of IMF shareholders need to approve the proposal. Since the U.S. has 17% of the votes, it has a de facto veto over the proposal, which requires Congressional approval, but IMF Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn told Dow Jones Newswires this week he expects Congress will soon approve the sale.

full story

And for your viewing pleasure...

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Could this have been the push before the storm?

IMO i kinda doubt it, b/c arbitragers would have been setting up all over this already..

I think if gold breaks 1100 things will start to get real interesting with that commodity

I was totally fooled on gold and thought it double topped..

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Here are some of next weeks estimated US economic numbers from a Bloomberg story. Still showing a downtrend in activity, the question is how much negative news has already been priced into the markets. The high consumer confidence numbers might indicate that investors really believe we are near the end of a garden variety 3 year recession. Three weeks of failed rally attempts are beginning to make this look more like a stock market top rather than a successful consolidation. If the stock market gets spooked by contrary news the permabulls won't do as well as the technical traders.

www.bloomberg.com...

Bloomberg Survey

================================================================
Release Period Prior Median
Indicator Date Value Forecast
================================================================
Pers Inc MOM% 6/1 April -0.3% -0.2%
Pers Spend MOM% 6/1 April -0.2% -0.2%
Construct Spending MOM% 6/1 April 0.3% -1.5%
ISM Manu Index 6/1 May 40.1 42.0
ISM Prices Index 6/1 May 32.0 35.0
Pending Homes MOM% 6/2 April 3.2% 0.5%
ADP Payroll ,000’s 6/3 May -491 -533
ISM NonManu Index 6/3 May 43.7 45.0
Factory Orders MOM% 6/3 April -0.9% 0.8%
Productivity QOQ% 6/4 1Q 0.8% 1.2%
Labor Costs QOQ% 6/4 1Q F 3.3% 2.9%
Initial Claims ,000’s 6/4 30-May 623 620
Cont. Claims ,000’s 6/4 23-May 6788 6855
Nonfarm Payrolls ,000’s 6/5 May -539 -521
Unemploy Rate % 6/5 May 8.9% 9.2%
Manu Payrolls ,000’s 6/5 May -149 -150
Hourly Earnings MOM% 6/5 May 0.1% 0.1%
Hourly Earnings YOY% 6/5 May 3.2% 3.1%
Avg Weekly Hours 6/5 May 33.2 33.2
Cons. Credit $ Blns 6/5 April -11.1 -6.0

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

This has been the reality for the UK market for some time - there will come a time when quantative easing impacts the price of credit.

The truer point of implosion, when news stations can say with certainty that darkness has descended is when bonds are offered - and no one buys.

I do not think this is too far away for anglo american aliance.

The reality is that all the US / UK have left to offer the world is oil dominance siezed from the tip of a sabre - and the people of the world no longer need their oil and guns - eventually, eventually it was bound to happen that we would all work out that just saying no - would be enough.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas

This has been the reality for the UK market for some time - there will come a time when quantative easing impacts the price of credit.

Right now QE is easing credit conditions. The reason Libor is down isn't because banks have confidence in each other again, it is because there is SO much cash just sitting there and nobody is using it because there isn't as much demand for credit and banks are reluctant to loan because it will still show up as a liability on their balance sheet even if they took the money for nothing.

The problem is, the more money they print, the more rates will begin to rise because investors will begin demanding a higher return if there is a higher % of inflation.

My worry is that the Fed will not be able to beat the markets and I am also worried about what happens when the Fed begins soaking up the trillions they pumped into the economy.

I don't think that a percentage point rise in rates is going to kill the markets, it may even create more demand for housing because people will be worried that they will already miss the low rates.

I think the equities market is still pretty safe though for at least a month-few months more. As long as investors just blindly buy and they don't ask questions. Should I even call them investors?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Yes RR, there are very few retail players in the game anymore.

Although, if more were knowledgeable like yourself, people would have made $$ on the way down as well..

Its always there for the taking, IMO

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Yes RR, there are very few retail players in the game anymore.

Although, if more were knowledgeable like yourself, people would have made $$ on the way down as well..

Its always there for the taking, IMO

That is going to signal the end is when the retail people are beginning to jump in and analysts are saying that this is the new bull market. I mean when ALL analysts are saying this. I feel this whole thing is sketchy still. Something doesn't feel right, and I still believe the gov. is behind this.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Yeah, I mean I think the .gov could be pumping $$ into the market as well, infact I def. think that is happening.

And yes, when people are jumping back in and letting the "good times roll" then its time to open up a new margin account lol

I think we agree on all points on this matter

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Yeah, I mean I think the .gov could be pumping $$ into the market as well, infact I def. think that is happening.

And yes, when people are jumping back in and letting the "good times roll" then its time to open up a new margin account lol

I think we agree on all points on this matter

I think the largest fear people should have is that if this is a HUGE head fake. I mean months of side/upward movement in the markets, and a lot of people move in an institutions move in w/ people's retirement funds and the market tanks again if for many reasons, then people will refuse to put their retirements in the markets and retailers will not participate in the markets again for a long time. Just like what happened during the depression and you saw very low volume for decades.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Well, I could again post a 8000 char. limit'er here lol.. but

The market at the lowest levels in march were almost discounted for failure, not only the banks, but the insurance companies as well.. Too much lower than that, and the USA will crash as a country.

Member WCH actually has a good perspective on this, and if he sees this I welcome his input.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The real payrolls cut is this?

ADP Payroll ,000’s 6/3 May -491 -533
+
Nonfarm Payrolls ,000’s 6/5 May -539 -521
+
Manu Payrolls ,000’s 6/5 May -149 -150

So... 1.179 million or 1 179 000 jobs lost? Or am I wrong?

Anyway, CNN is announcing 20.000 jobs cut and 10 plants closed at GM. Official announcement, tomorrow 11:30AM Eastern.

Some traders think the stock won't even open. Total wipe out of the stock...

[edit on 31-5-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Well, I could again post a 8000 char. limit'er here lol.. but

The market at the lowest levels in march were almost discounted for failure, not only the banks, but the insurance companies as well.. Too much lower than that, and the USA will crash as a country.

Member WCH actually has a good perspective on this, and if he sees this I welcome his input.

Don't think of sub 8000 as being too undervalued, think of 8000+ being too overvalued. The country is leveraged. That isn't "real" terms. If the country still has more deleveraging to do, you better believe the stock market will see selling.

top topics

<< 333  334  335    337  338  339 >>

join