It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 273
<< 270  271  272    274  275  276 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Used to every single day...have backed WAY off because of the obvious and the fact that I'm simply not "smart enough" to try and stay on top of it all and make the quick decisions required lately.
I've moved my "stuff" into other places for now but have been itching to dip a toe back in....not there yet though.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I know you all probably look at this all the time - however go to google finance

www.google.com...:.DJI&client=news

and spread the bars out so you get a look at the market since 1973 -

now check out the point in 1983 when derivatives were deregulated by Regan - If ever you needed to know where they are going - this should give some indicator.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
yes, but I won't be actively "playing" again until after May 6th(?) when the stress test results have come out & people have had time to "digest" the info.

I stay far away from all bank & financials now, moving over to futures & commodities.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I was just reading a report that basically no large institutions are buying into the markets: seekingalpha.com... .

Friday at 3:50PM I bought FAZ when DOW was at +140 and in about 3 minutes it went down to +79, and I obviously made good money in those 3 minutes because FAZ is a 3x financial short. I figured that traders would dump their positions near the end of the day. Well I got out quickly when I made my tidy profit (it was larger than I expected) and then the markets went up and I looked at huge financial bid orders. I think the government is not only manipulating figures being reported but I also think they are buying huge blocks of stock and manipulating futures for commodities (especially oil and gold). Funds don't make huge market orders to buy stocks...The government must be really desperate to keep the markets up. Just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
On a lighter note, I thought you fine ATS goers of this thread would appreciate this: www.cnn.com...#/video/world/2009/04/25/vo.bull.supermarket.itn

Hey, at least it wasn't a 'bear market'! tee hee

[edit on 4.26.2009 by Avarus]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Pretty scary what is going on in Mexico, but as everything ruling our "great nation" is money to be made by greedy corporate rats on the decimation of humanity.

I have nothing against us regular joes betting and investing on the upcoming pandemic, after all if the big rats can make money out of it why not regular joes.

Still those 200 Thousand plus has not clue what they are exposing themselves and let see what happen a few weeks from now.

I am on the other side of the nation but is doesn't hurt to start getting prepared for whatever comes our way.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

But did you noticed that every state that has taken upon themselves to included the "immigration" issue in their state elections get to be turn down by the state voters?, no wonder the government doesn't want to do a nation wide referendum to put and end to the immigration issue.

Because it will never get voters to agree with most of the immigration reform unless is reform to close the borders and protect America.

Sometimes I wonder also why when it comes to issue affecting Americans nobody seems to care and nobody wants to protest.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yet another "bug" to become concerned about...is all this REALLY just a coincidence?
Damn...need more tequila,I am starting to seriously doubt what's left of my sanity,LOL!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

No, because you characterized these companies as having major losses rather than just making less money than prior quarters.

For the record they are both on pace to make several billion dollars each this year.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Out of pure curiousity does anyone here daytrade or invest in markets except greenbicman and myself?

I am active in the markets. I do see your point as it is obvious that those who take every little fact as proof of doom and gloom really don't have a good grasp on economics or the markets. For instance to call earnings fake because they were made in part by eliminating employees and costs. Or to call them fake because someone gave you money to make money.

It is almost like arguing with little children. I only post because these threads need a voice a reason.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor
Out of pure curiousity does anyone here daytrade or invest in markets except greenbicman and myself?

I am active in the markets. I do see your point as it is obvious that those who take every little fact as proof of doom and gloom really don't have a good grasp on economics or the markets. For instance to call earnings fake because they were made in part by eliminating employees and costs. Or to call them fake because someone gave you money to make money.

It is almost like arguing with little children. I only post because these threads need a voice a reason.

I don't think anyone called the earnings fake because they eliminated costs. But that is the dominant reason for earnings/profit not falling dramatically. This is worrisome in and of itself because when they eliminate employees-->unemployment. When they eliminate other costs (like services)---->other businesses fail. So it is a cycle feeding on itself. I don't consider profits that are made by eliminating people and costs soley is good for the economy at all and it isn't good for THEIR business if the economy and unemployment gets worse. With that being said, I wouldn't trust most of these earnings (ESPECIALLY from financials) because the government has intervened so much changing rules and feeding capital through back doors that we just don't know the real picture which is why I didn't invest or short anything in this earnings season. The government clouds the picture.

But I agree that I think people forget that the markets are a trade right now. You don't have to agree with "why" they go up or down, just play the sh*t.

[edit on 26-4-2009 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
"Summers says (is that like Simon says?) US Economy's Freefall has Ended..."

www.reuters.com...

Check out the picture in this article...blowfish for dinner anyone?

I am thinking that if the "flu" doesn't continue to fuel the fires of fear that some will start dipping back into the waters of investment?

Do I think the worst has hit yet? No way.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Stocks face stress tests, earnings, Fed
www.reuters.com...

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks may run into some turbulence next week as the impending release of bank "stress test" results, a Federal Reserve meeting and a flood of earnings will give investors some reasons for caution.

While investors have been heartened by a recent flurry of surprisingly upbeat earnings and economic data, strategists said there was still concern about whether the government has done enough to shore up the banking sector.

Besides fretting about bank stress tests, investors also will be confronted by a raft of economic indicators in the coming week. The data menu includes readings on February home prices, April consumer confidence, weekly jobless claims and an advance report on first-quarter real Gross Domestic Product.
More at Link...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

You know it doesn't take a genius or an expert to understand the repercussion of the actions taken by this companies and I don't blame them either, I guess is survival of the "fittest" even if it comes with a price and that is more unemployment figures and companies working on bare minimals to get their so call "profits".

Sorry to tell you this but all those companies, doing cuts here and there on no only their work force but also in productivity are actually losing more than they are gaining.

Plain and simple.

reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Thank you my friend you really get the point and understand the whole situation.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Perhaps, but given the markets right now and the way that they have been acting I actually expect no some reaction but not a big plunge at all.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Soooooo....now that the PTB have declared a "Public Health Emergency" relating ot the swine flu do we think that:

Wall Street will continue biz as usual

The bio-tech and meds company stocks will sky-rocket

That it will in some way "affect" the way that business as usual is being conducted currently?

Might be a bumpy-ride ahead but maybe some money to be made as well?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Good question and I am glad that you bring that on, it's going to be plenty of money to be made by tech and pharma.

Those out there that have stashed their money away can probably come out big winners on this one.

I wonder how the US will take care of pandemic, perhaps now we may know what all those fema camps are all about.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

marg...I am having a BIG "moral" issue right now: I do have a pile of cash to invest but damn,can I in all good and right mind plunk it down to gain from this what might be a horrible mis-fortune to others?

I know,many would not have a second thought and play the market for simply what it "is" but I have lived a good life and prospered by my belief in that what goes 'round does come 'round and damn,I just don't know...
seems sorta' mercenary and ugly.

The FEMA camps are freaky indeed: especially the ones installed in AZ and NM close to the border at the time of all the "alleged" drug-wars recently,perhaps they were actually in case of a mass-evacuation from Mexico or other state to to something like this flu?

My mind is simply trying to absorb and process all that I'm trying ot sort through and it's no small task.

Damn...I wish y'all were all here on the ranch safe and sound so we could kill something,cook it to eat,and drink ourselves all happy just hashing out all of this: I bet we could solve a helluva' lot of problems and have some fun as well!

I'm feeling teribly isolated right now but maybe it's a good thing.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The epic clash of economy and politics:

A twist has emerged in the story of Israeli citrus fruit reportedly sold in Iran in defiance of a ban on commercial dealings between the two enemy states.

It has now been revealed the fruit, a type of orange-grapefruit hybrid marketed as Jaffa Sweetie, were not Israeli in the first place.

The Sweeties were brought to Iran from China, where faking the origin of goods is a common practice.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Incredible!

I wonder where the sugar for the sweeties comes from

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I always say that you should never do what you don't feel good doing. Even if that means making money from the suffering of others.

But in our nation believe or not that is what the big fat rats has been doing for decades, making money on suffering and is not new, that is why we have wars for profits and now perhaps sickness for profits.

But doing what a person sees as the right thing should be a personal choice, I think you are doing what is right for you.

top topics

<< 270  271  272    274  275  276 >>

join