It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 274
<< 271  272  273    275  276  277 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic
Soooooo....now that the PTB have declared a "Public Health Emergency" relating ot the swine flu do we think that:

Wall Street will continue biz as usual

The bio-tech and meds company stocks will sky-rocket

That it will in some way "affect" the way that business as usual is being conducted currently?

Might be a bumpy-ride ahead but maybe some money to be made as well?

Yes on the money...

Pharmaceutical stocks are expected to rise on Monday morning, after Roche and GlaxoSmithKline said they may need to supply millions of vaccine doses to help protect against the swine flu that has killed up to 81 people in Mexico.

Vaccines from Roche, which sells Tamiflu, and GSK, maker of Relenza, have been shown to work against viral samples of the new disease. The drugs were also used to help protect against outbreaks of bird flu in Asia, providing windfall profits for the companies.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
www.reuters.com...

GM retirees watch, worry as day of reckoning nears

We've still got that other shoe (stilleto) about to drop...the article goes into the continuing cost of benefits and I just don't see how or where this can all be "absorbed."

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
And venture capitalists backing drug makers stand poised to make a hefty profit...

The swine flu outbreak is likely to benefit one of the most prolific and successful venture capital firms in the United States: Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Thomson Reuters Private Equity Week reported on Friday.
Shares of two public companies in the firm's portfolio of eight Pandemic and Bio Defense companies BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (BCRX.O) and Novavax (NVAX.O) jumped Friday on news that the swine flu killed a reported 60 people in Mexico and has infected people in the United States

uk.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Many countries are banning pork and some all meats from the US due to the Swine Flu.

This is gonna leave a mark in the commodities market, which strangely enough is the one that is in "bubble" mode right now.

Baxter is joining up with WHO to make a vaccine, but even with their (not proven safe yet) rapid system of vaccine development, it will take 13 weeks.

Tamiflu, even though many reports say it does more harm than good for Swine flu, is selling like hotcakes RIGHT NOW. People are finding black market & overseas suppliers of it (generic form)

New term has been coined for the effects of Swine flu on the global markets: Flucession

Fun & games isn't it?

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Flucession...so not funny but honestly,I did need that laugh,LOLROF!

Is there no end to the insanity??? I so wish we could go back a few months and just get a do-over.

Have been poised to hit the "buy" button all day long and now that I hear what's going on,it's just not happening.

One less pair of shoes I guess.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Let's keep it real people. Here's something that might make you wonder whether even pharmaceuticals will gain from the current crisis:

news.bbc.co.uk...

It seems even antivirals are having little to no effect.

What is more if businesses, public transport (including airlines) and even schools etc., have to come to a standstill for months the overall picture in the markets will be utter wipeout.

I know I'm stating the obvious. But forget drugs companies. If you really want to invest think survival gear/supplies.

Folks this is one occasion where doom & gloom are the new balanced position.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Finance chiefs, markets keep wary eye on swine flu
uk.reuters.com...

But right now, "people are too worried now about the economy to be worried about being sick," he said.
Right...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Are you saying that this could be the "ultimate diversion?"

"Sick" will mean so much on so many levels if large segments of the population contract the virus.

Could very well BE...am going to take a wait and see approach but am going to predict this is gonna' be a week to remember on many levels.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

DJIA has been hovering around 90 to 100 down...

most all others are down as well...

Can anyone say, "Wall St/Bank Holiday"?

[edit on 4/26/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Thanks for the update...after a week of company and not being "on here" much,I'm like a raving-loon gathering info today.I need help,yes,I know,LOL!

I mentioned somewhere else that if this virus continue to spread and people do indeed become sick in large numbers that it might indeed shut down most public venues including Wall Street and public areas like banks.

Perfect time to institute any "necessary" changes.

This is going to be a chapter I wouldn't dare to predict for the history books.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I see that futures are indeed down nearly 100 points as you stated.

www.bloomberg.com...

However, futures are a good indicator of nothing in my experience. Like an appendix or cotton panties, I feel much more free without.

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
Many countries are banning pork and some all meats from the US due to the Swine Flu.

This is gonna leave a mark in the commodities market, which strangely enough is the one that is in "bubble" mode right now.

Baxter is joining up with WHO to make a vaccine, but even with their (not proven safe yet) rapid system of vaccine development, it will take 13 weeks.

Tamiflu, even though many reports say it does more harm than good for Swine flu, is selling like hotcakes RIGHT NOW. People are finding black market & overseas suppliers of it (generic form)

New term has been coined for the effects of Swine flu on the global markets: Flucession

Fun & games isn't it?

How the hell can we trust Baxter to make the vaccine? IMHO they should be banned from developing vaccine until they come clean from their last great mistake.

I wouldn't touch a Baxter vaccine with a ten foot pole - so I guess I leave that to the pole dancers!

They have to try it out first!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

Woo Hoo, Go plucky

My fave ATS Commando gal!

Just lets ya know there will be a waterfall open, that's what we can gage by futures, though, if they fall too far (as has happened) there is a lock down limit & that can be real ugly in the morning

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

THIS poledancer wouldn't touch ANYTHING on a needle currently or probably in the future unless I'm being held down by 10 strong men.

Plus,most of us are in excellent health and pretty good shape so hopefully,we'd be less likely to become ill? I am hoping like hell this is the case but I'm oficially worried.

I agree that Baxter was a "less than" choice but no doubt one TPTB can justify in their infinite wisdom,LOL!

[edit on 26-4-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

I do/am a commando girl, yes.

And I guess I have seen the futures be a good indicator, and then sometimes not.

Third, give me a unicorn pooping a rainbow of Skittles or give me death!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Yeah I know you're in good shape! sorry darling!
bad joke! sorry!

I am just surprised to see that Baxter are still trusted to be hired by WHO

Everything is a sham! I tell you!

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
DJIA futures -120

Hospitals 316.16 +12.32 +4.05% 04/24

And this is something we didn't know already...

Summers Says U.S. Economy to Decline ‘For Some Time’ (Update3)
www.bloomberg.com...

April 26 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. economy will continue to contract “for some time to come,” said Lawrence Summers, director of the White House National Economic Council.

“I expect the economy will continue to decline,” with “sharp declines in employment for quite some time this year,” Summers said today on “Fox News Sunday.”

The International Monetary Fund, which held meetings last week in Washington, cut its forecast for each of the Group of Seven economies for this year and next. The IMF, established in 1944 to aid countries in financial crisis, said the U.S. economy would shrink 2.8 percent this year and have no growth in 2010, with unemployment rising to 10.1 percent.

Universal banking's days are numbered -study
www.reuters.com...

Mexico Asks Bars, Churches in Capital to Close; Won't Order Offices Shut
www.bloomberg.com...

April 26 (Bloomberg) -- Mexico requested the closure of bars, movie theaters and churches in the capital to fight an outbreak of deadly swine flu, while stopping short of ordering workplaces shut on concern about the economic impact.

The effort to fight the virus has a “high potential for disruption,” Finance Minister Agustin Carstens said today while speaking to reporters at the International Monetary Fund’s spring meetings. It’s too early to gauge the economic impact, he said.

The epidemic, which has claimed as many as 81 lives, threatens to deepen the country’s economic decline after U.S. demand for Mexican exports including cars and home appliances plummeted. The Mexican economy shrank 1.6 percent in the fourth quarter and probably contracted another 4.2 percent in the first three months of this year, according to a central bank survey of 32 economists published April 1.

Dollar Wins Heads-or-Tails Toss on Growth or Weakening Economy
www.bloomberg.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   

LAYOFF DAILY
Sun 4-26-2009

Hard times, 25% unemployment hit Imperial Valley, CA
- (the swine flu hit them too)
Slovakia's unemployment hits 10%, expects 12.6% by year's end
Krugman: no letup in job losses anytime soon, 12% unemployment possible
news.cincinnati.com...
Gang members celebrate Toledo, OH police layoffs - oh my -
toledoblade.com.../20090426/NEWS02/904260334/-1/OPINION02?ref=layoffdaily.com

Timken Aerospace -45

Sat 4-25-2009
Cannondale, last major US bicycle manufacturer, outsources to Asia -200
Stanley Works (NYSE:SWK) -500
Four Million people now unemployed in Spain - 17.36%
Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) -58
EMI Music CD Plant, Jacksonville, FL-103
Kansas House considers mandatory furloughs for 42,000 state employees
www2.ljworld.com...?ref=layoffdaily.com
Riverside County, CA proposes 1,000 job cuts
Volvo Group (Sweden) -1543
Bishop Museum, Honolulu, HI -19
Sandvik -50
Fort Wayne, IN Community Schools -100
Gardner Museum, Boston MA -13
Redmond, OR School District -57
Brookings, SD regional job cuts -119
TRW Automotive plant closure -75
O'Neal Steel Inc. -110
Gresham-Barlow, OR School District -115
Shawnee, OK regional employers -102

[edit on 26-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
If you are looking for a few stocks that might just jump tomorrow, think about:

NVAX and BCRX

Both are between 1 and 2 dollars a share at the start of trading tomorrow. They both stand to gain a TON off of the "Swine Flu" rhetoric. It will probably be a short boom, but, I'm trying to ride these for a week.

BCRX @ 2.21

NVAX @ 1.42

NVAX is set to jump about .51 from after hours trading and BCRX is looking at .26 Both were two of the biggest % gainers on Friday when Swine Flu information was announced later in the day. Expect a few days of big gains.

Edit: prices and information

[edit on 26-4-2009 by Iago18]

posted on Apr, 26 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
S&P 500 -14.60 851.90 4/26 10:06pm
Fair Value 862.78 4/25 11:25pm
Difference* -10.88

NASDAQ -19.25 1355.75 4/26 10:02pm
Fair Value 1371.63 4/25 11:25pm
Difference* -15.88

Dow Jones -125.00 7931.00 4/26 10:05pm
===
Shanghai Composite 2,422.25 9:59PM ET Down 26.34 (1.08%)
Hang Seng 15,079.96 10:01PM ET Down 178.89 (1.17%)
Nikkei 225 8,786.16 9:56PM ET Up 78.17 (0.90%)
Straits Times 1,816.38 10:16PM ET Down 43.60 (2.34%)
===
Gold $916.30

new topics

top topics

<< 271  272  273    275  276  277 >>

join