It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 272
<< 269  270  271    273  274  275 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Wheee...let the fiscal discipline begin...

So...does this mean a "time out" with nose in the corner or a good god fearing whoopin' with a cat 'o nine ???

Obama backs measure to restore fiscal discipline
www.reuters.com...

FACTBOX-Major U.S. financial regulation reform initiatives
www.reuters.com...

Regulators May Make Banks Raise Capital Levels With Stress-Test Accounting
www.bloomberg.com...

U.S. White Paper on Stress Tests Leaves Questions Unanswered, Analysts Say
www.bloomberg.com...

Treasury 10-Year Yields Rise to 3% for First Time Since Buybacks Announced
www.bloomberg.com...

AIG's Liddy to Testify in Congress on Whether Insurer Needs More U.S. Aid
www.bloomberg.com...

IMF Bond Plan `Insufficient' for BRICs, Better Yields Needed, Mantega Says
www.bloomberg.com...

U.S. sketches out bank tests, more capital needed
www.reuters.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States broadly outlined how it "stress tested" the health of the country's top 19 banks on Friday, but disappointed investors who were looking for more details of how stringent the tests were.

The Federal Reserve said banks would need to hold substantially more capital than usually required so they could withstand a more severe economic downturn, and indicated it might not let the industry off the hook easily.

"The market may be disappointed by the lack of details, as there is not much new in the report, but at the margin, it does sound as if regulators will give each company a real review, rather than a rubber stamp of approval," said Paul Miller, an analyst with FBR Capital Markets in Arlington, Virginia.
More at Link...

And...if yer buying all this carp...boy have I got some SIV's for you...

[edit on 4/25/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Discipline my butt, Obama have not discipline when it comes to the ones ruling behind his back, they say the Banks and financial institutions of their choice will get all the tax payer money they want and is nothing he can do about it.

So far the deficit budget due to this bank rescue has become unsustainable.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by disgustedbyhumanity

Obviously you need to get your glasses fix or wear your contacts, read the post again, I said banks.

If you idea of posting is just to bash whatever doesn't go with your point of view then you are in the wrong thread.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Here's yer trade for Monday...if the markets open...

Venture capital firm set to reap rewards on swine flu
uk.reuters.com...

LOS ANGELES, April 24 (Reuters) - The swine flu outbreak is likely to benefit one of the most prolific and successful venture capital firms in the United States: Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Thomson Reuters Private Equity Week reported on Friday.

Shares of the two public companies in the firm's portfolio of eight Pandemic and Bio Defense companies -- BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (BCRX.O) and Novavax (NVAX.O) -- jumped Friday on news that the swine flu killed a reported 60 people in Mexico and has infected people in the United States.

The World Health Organization said the virus appears to be susceptible to Roche's (ROG.VX) flu drug Tamiflu, also known as oseltamivir, but not to older flu drugs such as amantadine.
More at Link...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by disgustedbyhumanity
reply to post by marg6043

Do you even realize you are posting outright lies? If not, then maybe you should give up on the financial commentary business. If you do realize it, then you should be banned from this site.

Really lets see what I posted in references to this companies,

UPS Profit Falls as Global Downturn Hits Revenue

The world's largest package delivery company reported net income of $401 million, or 40 cents a share, compared with $906 million, or 87 cents a share, a year earlier.

Excluding an impairment charge for the early retirement of the company's fleet of DC-8 jets, UPS earned 52 cents per share in the quarter.

www.cnbc.com...

And,

3M Profit Falls Sharply; Cuts 2009 Forecast

Diversified manufacturer 3M reported a 48 percent drop in quarterly profit and cut its full-year earnings forecast, citing falling demand as its customers reduce inventories.

www.cnbc.com...

And that means I am lying, because I dare to say that this means loss of jobs due to less profits?

I guess you have some problems with interpretations, my friend, so to you less profits or making less money is not the same as losing money because they are still making some money?.

Guess what they have to let people go in their companies so they can come out even.

Those in my eyes are equal to loses.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I can see already the pharmaceuticals, specialy the big Pharma in which Rumsfeld has links to it, salivating over the posible benefits to have a pandemic.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Star 4 U!

Good stat's on the losses!!!

UPS layoffs
google

3M layoffs
google

If you make less than before, I'd call it a loss, but...

Check out the names of the companies in the article...a few there to pick through...study study study...due diligence...

To bad BofA got the "cram down" before they could do any...

[edit on 4/25/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 07:47 AM
link   
This is how 3M, is keeping their so call profits, or sugar coating loses.

(in 2008) 3M plans salary freeze, more job cuts: Cuts come on top of 1,000 already announced

That includes a salary freeze for all U.S. employees in 2009, the Maplewood-based manufacturer confirmed Friday. Also, the approximately 1,000 positions that were cut in the third quarter won't mark the end of staff reductions, an executive said this week.

Next year the company also will reduce its capital expenditures by $200 million compared with 2008, Campbell told analysts.

www.tradingmarkets.com...

That is how they are keeping their loses from becoming to out of control to handle

Then this year April 25,

3M announces another 1,200 job cuts

WASHINGTON (AP) - 3M Co. is cutting its worldwide work force by another 1,200 jobs, or 1.5 percent, because of the global economic slump.

kaaltv.com...

Yeah, profits my butt.

Now UPS,

Federal-Mogul ups job cuts by 4,600
By Tribune Staff and Wire Reports
December 20, 2008

archives.chicagotribune.com...

UPS CFO SEES JOB CUTS IN 2009 TO REDUCE COSTS
10.23.08, 10:07 AM ET

www.forbes.com...

What a nice way to keep profits

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Step by step...inch by inch...

U.S. offers strong backing for IMF governance overhaul
www.reuters.com...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Saturday pledged robust support for an overhaul of governing power within the International Monetary Fund so key emerging-market nations get more say in how the lender operates.

In a speech to the IMF's steering committee, U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner also called on the Fund to be prepared to offer loans to recapitalize banks or to aid developing countries in rolling over corporate debt.

Geithner's proposals, delivered in a strongly worded address at the IMF's semiannual meeting, are likely to provoke some controversy among the other industrialized countries who, with the United States, have long dominated the global lender.
More at Link...

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:19 PM
link   
An interesting note from the editor of LAYOFF DAILY -

Note from the editor: education layoffs accelerate, pass 16,000 in 2 weeks

As state and local goverments attempt to cover the massive revenue shortfalls due to the recession, it looks like education is getting slashed especially hard.

A quick tally of reported education-related cuts mumbers over 16,000 in the last two weeks alone. This is in addition to the following money-saving proposals I've seen floated in the same period: - School closures - Increased classroom sizes - Movement to 4-day class weeks - Elimination of teacher's aides - Suspension of statewide performance exams - Elimination of sports and music programs As our educational system continues to fall behind in the world rankings, we're dying a slow death from a thousand tiny cuts.

When Norway and South Korea are beating us on the scientific literacy front and the Czechs are running circles around our students in math, it's time to wake up. No offense, of course, to the fine folks in those countries.
We have to do better than this.

The Cranky Editor

[edit on 25-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Incredible the price our Nation has to pay because we are at the mercy of the hand outs of a communist country.

US government obviously to keep China happy and buying our worthless dollars is giving away a place for China to be a key player when it comes to global control.

Geithner mentioned no countries by name, but China is regularly cited as among countries that qualify for more IMF voting power, especially at a time when the old-line U.S. and European powers that have dominated the lender are trying to get Beijing to put more money into the Fund.

From the link.

China will rule the world and our nation paved the road to their success, with greed at the expenses of Americas industries, jobs and tax payer, sometimes I wonder who are the truly terrorist working against our nation

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

Oh, but that is OK while our nation falls behind and our children are prepared to become nothing but servant to the government with the new volunteer program they are getting ready to deal with what third world counties quality of living is like.

That is what our nation is reversing to.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   

In a speech to the IMF's steering committee, U.S. Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner also called on the Fund to be prepared to offer loans to recapitalize banks or to aid developing countries in rolling over corporate debt.

Geithner's proposals, delivered in a strongly worded address at the IMF's semiannual meeting, are likely to provoke some controversy among the other industrialized countries who, with the United States, have long dominated the global lender.

So basically Geithner is openly pushing for a stronger IMF with admittng that China will be stronger and the US weaker... basically China being over the US and giving up sovergnity... but he's totally against world government... yeah right.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Whooo the USSA is flexing it's muscle...

Protesters, police clash near IMF meetings in DC
www.foxnews.com...

WASHINGTON (AP) -- About 100 protesters upset with the way world leaders have handled the economic crisis are clashing with police outside the International Monetary Fund and World Bank meetings in Washington.

Several activists were pushed to the ground by police after they attempted to march onto a street that authorities had blocked. Police also used pepper spray on the protesters.

Earlier Saturday, demonstrators tried to block two intersections, including an area near hotels where they say delegates to the meetings are staying. Both times, the protesters were steered back to the sidewalk by police.

The IMF is a Washington-based lending institution that monitors the global economy, warns of impending crises and provides financial and technical advice to its 185 member nations.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

So basically Geithner is openly pushing for a stronger IMF with admittng that China will be stronger and the US weaker... basically China being over the US and giving up sovergnity... but he's totally against world government... yeah right.

Most of this has to do with the fact that while everyone else was running around like chickens with their heads cut off; China was on the prowl buying up as many natural resource companies and controlling shares they could.
Now when it comes down to it China is one of the few countries now able to come out on top if things don't turn around as fast as all would like.
They have gotten their hands on what they need to keep their people and their country on a safe footing. The rest of us have continued to throw fist fulls of money at banks and financials as opposed to setting ourselves up in a position of being self sustainable. (With natural resources and food for starters.)
This alone is WHY China is being touted as a major player in the years to come. They have what everyone else is going to need to survive plain and simple. The worst part is they know it and will work it to their benefit no matter what it takes or who they let die along the way.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Well I havent been very active on ATS lately and ill say its basicly that I have come to the conclusion that we're doomed.
Come May the # will hit the fan and everything will go down hill fast.
Interestingly enough the webbots have already been proven correct just a few days after they let the report out.
Gogo whistle blowers and banking collapse.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by spinkyboo

Oh, but that is OK while our nation falls behind and our children are prepared to become nothing but servant to the government with the new volunteer program they are getting ready to deal with what third world counties quality of living is like.

That is what our nation is reversing to.

It doesn't look good does it?
And frankly most of the chaos -
looks to have been manufactured by some very scary folks.
and - I have to say -
"they" are preparing the youngsters to listen, obey and be happy doing it.

I would not trust a word coming from anyone who is part of the "elite" group -
The only saving grace in my opinion... is that people that take part in the intentional demise of others - are not as smart as they think they are.
In fact quite the opposite.
And they will be the recipients of their own blatant disregard for human life.
Nature has a way of balancing out whatever dirt is in it's universe.
Our only job is to keep our side of the street clean.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

The webots are interesting indeed...not sure we are "doomed" but "scroomed" is a distinct possiblity my friend.

I for one am chitting bullets because of the 200,000 + people lining the streets of San Antonio as we speak,many with visiting family from Mexico to watch a stupid parade tonight.

No one cares...they are absolute idiots to do this in lieu of the recent events and news.
Guess that think that a can of "Lone Star" will prevent the flu from spreading?

I'm seriously thinking of being,maybe for the first time ever a merciless b**** and doing some quick investing in bio-defense meds and drug related stocks come Monday...gonna' need to stock up on more supplies I do believe!

How better to get us to divert from Dow Jones and SP then to have us take ill?

Hugs to all,wearing masks and suits of course.

[edit on 25-4-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

As I have said before:

2006 rallies to DEFEND illegal immigrants: Numbered into the MILLIONS.

2008/09 rallies against the Federal Corporate Nationalization Schemes...: Numbered in the low thousands.

Every empire declines by it's own inept ability to react to that which weakens it. By this nature, complacency will be the downfall of every significant culture.

posted on Apr, 25 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Out of pure curiousity does anyone here daytrade or invest in markets except greenbicman and myself?

new topics

top topics

<< 269  270  271    273  274  275 >>

join