It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 112
<< 109  110  111    113  114  115 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Firs of all I will like to remind people that this thread is for the enjoyment of all members and non members that wants to keep track of the markets, find information, learn about the economy, its reason for volatility, the many other reasons that is affecting the nation and not exclusively the markets alone.

Nobody should influence with opinion others into buying selling or investing in anything at all that will go against TOs of the site.

If any member decide to do that it should done by privately means with the other party involved but not while posting in the board.

While I have enjoyed the Threads opinions, facts, fables and historical views on economic issues I hope it doesn't have to close because somebody may feel that it could use it to lure others into investments ventures.

Just a friendly advise.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by marg6043]

Thats great advice.

I told this to the moderators in private conversation. There should be a disclaimer on the thread somehow IMO

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by marg6043

Yes they are.

We really need to think about the direction this country is heading. The path we are going down we are going to be left out in the cold. We have to do the opposite of Obama's agenda. This is not the time for partisan politics. We have to let these banks fail, nobody knows what will happen if they let them fail, but I have a feeling that the effect is not going to be as bad as what these people are thinking.

We cannot keep pumping trillions of dollars into these zombie banks or the economy. It is time for a major change in Foreign Policy. It is time to look at everybody and tell them straight up, we can no longer afford to prop up the rest of the world. Globalization has failed and it is time to accept that fact and restructure to what is best for our individual countries.

That is the only recourse I see. We just don't have the money or resources to be able to play Keynesian Economics anymore.

*shrug*

[edit on 14-3-2009 by Hastobemoretolife]

Dude, please.

You know total anarchy is going to break loose if banks fail.. and why would you want this to happen in the first place anyways?

No more internet
No more electricity
No more driving a car

You do get to fight and kill for food
You do get to sleep with a gun under your pillow
You do get to play old maid all day with your cousins
You do get to fish for 80% of your food

Where is the upside? Whats your agenda for wanting this? Because you want the rich to be in the same class as you all the sudden, then magically"your kind" will take over and you will be introduced as the dark knight?

Dont be foolish, people with power just dont relinquish power, dont fight the system. Now would be a good start to putting what money you have into the stock market again slowly.. there are good opportunities and who knows.. maybe you will be "one of them" one day.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

LAYOFF DAILY
3-14-2009

City Of Springfield MA -89
National Machinery 2 Week Layoff -340
City Of Aspen -6
Mariposa County Schools -20
Toledo Police -75
Michelin -42
Richland County Sheriff's Office -12
Lincoln Paper And Tissue -17
Vallourec And Mannesmann Tubes Corp. -50
Cessna Aircraft Plans Furloughs
Hawker Beechcraft Laying Off
Baker Hughes 2nd Round -1,500
Freightliner Opens a $300 million Plant In Mexico (after laying of 1,200 in the US)
Multnomah County -13
City Of Half Moon Bay -19
BC Ferries -35 Hufcor Inc. -100

Numbers are looking a little lighter.
Or - maybe we are just running out of people to layoff.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

It think it is because it is the weekend. Or maybe it was a good week.

It is a good thing though.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Man I just read that Sesame Street has cut 20% of their staff.
So much for happiness on the ol' street.

Ouch!

This post is brought to you by the letter:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/917e1e37035f.jpg[/atsimg]
For Layoffs

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I would like to remind members that this thread has Big Thread status.

This thread is an ATS Big-Thread with 2224 replies, and subject to more strict moderation.
Please stay focused. Stay on-topic. Minimal or off-topic posts and T&C violations are subject deletion and/or a warning.

In other words: Please remain strictly on topic!

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

The objective of the Global Meltdown is of course to discus finances, stocks, global economies and the melt down situation.. We do not generally talk about personal investments on the board, at the very least, keep it extremely vague. Typically it always has to do with precious metals and the theories that coincide with them. And as marge pointed out, "advice" is strictly forbidden, and when asked an opinion the regular contributors DO put a disclaimer stating that it is their opinion and only that.

Any ways.

Back to the thread.

Four days running with a huge gain last week, I am still waiting for the "Sell the rally" mentality that I honestly expected by Thurs. or Fri. The G20 this weekend essentially said they will cure the world of all financial ailments, but failed to detail HOW that will come about. Further more, Obama saying "Hey, you can trust those T Bills!" says to me that our biggest clients perhaps may have raised some concerns. And if we cannot sell our debt, we cannot run our country. Especially with the obligations Mr. Obama has decided to make us responsible for.

Looks like a pretty mundane week ahead of us though. Stocks historically have always fared the best during the spring / early summer months.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenBicMan

You know total anarchy is going to break loose if banks fail.. and why would you want this to happen in the first place anyways?

It's all up to your interpretation.

In my interpretation, what is going on with banks today - is the Total Anarchy.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Obama's new strategy: Blaming Bush for 'mess'
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Obama Reassures Investors
www.foxnews.com...

U.S. economy is sound, Obama says
www.msnbc.msn.com...

Biden: Economic confidence returning
www.msnbc.msn.com...

...strangeness...blaming bush...then turn right around and use the same quotes...the world is mad I tell you!

Sooo at this rate...in a mad world...we are to expect a continuing up trend in the markets?

Not that there's any rational reason for it...

Fair-Value Accounting Isn't Working, Wells Fargo Chairman Kovacevich Says
www.bloomberg.com...

March 14 (Bloomberg) -- Fair-value accounting rules don’t make sense when there’s no market to accurately price securities, Wells Fargo & Co. Chairman Richard Kovacevich said.

“Mark-to-market is fundamentally not about a quote on a screen,” Kovacevich said yesterday in a speech at Stanford University in California. “It should always be about expected cash flows.”

Mark-to-market accounting requires companies to set a value on most securities every quarter, based on market prices. Banks including Citigroup Inc. have said the rule doesn’t work when trading freezes because banks must write down the assets to pennies on the dollar. The rules were designed to enhance transparency in bank balance sheets and indicate true financial health, according to investor groups and the accounting industry.

Robert Herz, chairman of the Financial Accounting Standards Board, may encourage bank executives to be flexible in valuing their assets, he said in an interview yesterday after testifying at a House subcommittee hearing. Banks and securities firms worldwide have racked up more than $1.2 trillion in losses and credit writedowns amid the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression.

Kovacevich, 65, said that 90 percent of the assets that led to those losses are from loans that were originated between 2005 and 2007 when credit was cheap and banks ignored underwriting standards.

Mark-to-Market Meeting Set By Accounting Board
www.cnbc.com...

The Financial Accounting Standards Board is planning to discuss mark-to- market accounting rules on Monday.

The FASB says it will discuss "additional application guidance that would clarify" how mark-to-market is used in illiquid markets.

On Thursday, U.S. lawmakers told the top U.S. accounting rulemaker to deliver new guidance on mark-to-market accounting within three weeks, or face legislation changing the rule that has forced banks to write down billions of dollars in assets.

Financial Accounting Standards Board Chairman Robert Herz, under a barrage of questions, initially committed to the three-week timetable but later said he would have to consult with other board members.

"I will take back a very clear message from today," Herz told the U.S. House of Representatives capital markets subcommittee. "We'll do everything that we can."

The Securities and Exchange Commission's acting chief accountant, James Kroeker, told lawmakers "we can absolutely work with the FASB within that timeframe."
BTW: Anyone see Glenn Beck cry on his show today!!?

[edit on 3/15/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

On the docket
money.cnn.com...

Monday: February industrial production and factory output are on track to continue to decline as the recession wears on.

Production is expected to have fallen by a seasonally adjusted 1.2% in February after falling by 1.8% in January, according to a consensus of economists surveyed by Briefing.com. Capacity utilization, a measure of factory output, is expected to drop to a seasonally adjusted 71.1% from 72% in January.

The NY Empire State index, a key regional manufacturing report, is expected to have improved marginally after hitting a record low last month. The index is expected to have improved to a reading of negative 32 in March from negative 34.7 in February.

Also due: The National Association of Home Builders report on homebuilders' confidence in the current market and the outlook six months from now.

Tuesday: Reports on housing and wholesale inflation are due in the morning.

Housing starts are expected to have fallen to a 453,000 annual unit rate in February from a 466,000 unit annual rate in January. Building permits are expected to have fallen to a 510,000 annual rate from a 531,000 annual unit rate in January.

The Producer Price Index (PPI), a measure of wholesale inflation, likely rose 0.4% in February after rising 0.8% in the previous month. The so-called Core PPI, which strips out volatile food and energy prices, rose 0.1% after rising 0.4% in the previous month.

Wednesday: The Consumer Price index (CPI), a read on consumer inflation, is due in the morning. CPI is expected to have risen 0.3% in February after rising 0.3% in January. The Core CPI is expected to have risen 0.1% after rising 0.2% in January.

The latest interest-rate decision from the Federal Reserve is due Wednesday afternoon at the conclusion of the two-day policy meeting. The Fed is expected to hold rates steady near zero and to say that it is ready to take additional steps to help mend the U.S. economy and credit markets.

Thursday: The Philadelphia Fed index, another regional reading on manufacturing, is expected to have improved modestly to 40.0 in March from 41.3 in February.

The index of leading economic indicators is expected to have fallen 0.6% in February after falling 0.4% in January.

The weekly jobless claims report is also on tap.

Friday: Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke speaks in Phoenix on the financial crisis and community banking.

If any of the earley week announcements are worse than expected it could start un-raveling the rally???

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

A few who got it right
Commentary: What do those who called the downturn think?
www.marketwatch.com... d

:snip:

Market projections

Technical analyst Sandy Jadeja, chief market strategist for ODL Markets in London, did have a target: 6425 in the Dow Jones Industrial Average. On March 9, the Dow hit 6440 at one point before Tuesday's massive rally.
He thinks Wednesday's higher close for the Dow is a good sign for the short run. The Dow was up nicely Thursday morning on retail sales data that were slightly better than expected. He's looking for a rally that would take the Dow back up to 8300.

But don't count on much more than that, he cautions.

He says 6400 is "a critical level going back to 1987, the 1930s and the 2002 lows." He expects it to be retested, and if the market can't hold that support level, then it could go a lot lower.

He thinks the bear market could hit bottom in 2010 or even 2011 or 2012. "5300 is the most probable low," he says. But Fibonacci and Elliot Wave analysis -- tools used by technical analysts -- may point toward 3700-3800 as the ultimate bottom. Ouch.
This is about what I'm expecting...if the rally holds, it'll just kind of spin it's wheels at a certain point.

Now the last part...that's the scary part...fits in with my '29-'32 charts...

[edit on 3/15/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

While I agree with you assessments on the issues you bring on, many will disagree and that is understandable.

I also see how the Free trade has cripple in the last few decades the US economy.

The ties to the WTO had helped outsource production to other countries in favor to cheap and nothing short of slave labor.

We have lost most of our manufacturing capacity, that is what made the years during 1940 and 1970s so good for Americas economy and the raise of the middle class.

Under the WTO we are always behind when it comes to the fairness of their policies.

We have not domestic competition when other nations can use our government subsidies and their own but the US can not.

All America has done under the WTO and free trade is bending over and taking it while other developing countries flourish and we are falling in economic Decay.

Our nation rather rewards failure, than penalizing outsource and in source.

The policies and practices of the Free trade and WTO needs to be stop and redefined or we are keep dying as a nation.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
The facts about America economic condition.

1. Wholesale sellout of core strategic assets to foreign acquirers:

2. Decline of vital industries through bankruptcy, foreign predatory practices, and foreign acquisitions.

3. Inability to manufacture competitively:

4. Overdependence on imports:

5. Massive wealth transfer to foreign ownership:

6. Loss of job and career opportunities for people at all education levels:

7. Insourcing of foreign manufacturers destroys our domestic industries, takes profits and taxes overseas, and provides only low-skill jobs for American workers:

8. Dependence on foreign financing of government debt:

9. Outsourcing key manufacturing, research, and design:

10. Transition to services-oriented economy:

11. Lost scientific, engineering, technological prowess:

12. Wealth shift into less productive assets:

13. Record levels of personal and government debt:

15. Proven failed trade policies and other counter productive legislation contributing to our demise:

www.economyincrisis.org...

I will take this one issue that many economist fall for it and that is the GDP figures.

14. Misleading commonly used economic statistics: misleading incomplete statistics, like GDP, job creation and production statistics belief our crumbling economic infrastructure.

I have never trust the government given figures when the creator of the GDP itself warned that this figures were never to be take as the sole indicator of a economic health of a nation.

In my personal Opinion and those of many economist and analyst around, if America doesn't take care of the core problemsfacing the nation we will be heading down the path of collapse.

Like I said a few years ago, before the bubble crash in 2007 our economy is nothing than an illusion of prosperity.

Now I dare to say that the manipulation of the markets is also an illusion of a prosperity that is not there.

How do I base my opinions with? Read from number one to 15.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
reply to post by spinkyboo

It think it is because it is the weekend. Or maybe it was a good week.

It is a good thing though.

the rally is a result of the Institutional Money Managers/ Fund & Pension managers jockying their portfilios and reallocating positions...

just shuffling holdings to what their forecast models say will be better companies to hold 'next quarter'.... this shuffling is coming as the First Quarter comes to its end & the reporting data gets analysed....
for the bonus reviews the managers expect !

nothing fundamental has changed... other than the official word that 'no major bank will fail', iow the USA will pour treasury money into the black-holes indefinitely...
and the USA team is going to try and cooerce the EU & G-20 into adopting the 'stuff the institutions with cash' model... instead of the European approach of Re-writing the Rules & Re-Structuring the System,
with an eye toward bringing criminal activity to trial.... instead of just
animating Zombie banks as the USA wants.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Star 4 U!

I'm glad someone else looked at the calender!

I think that's what we're seeing...the shell game in action, to bloster balance sheets for the quarter...

Thanks for pointing that out once again for us!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Thanks Udio, now I will bring also a conspiracy angle to the markets good fortune.

Many needs to also remember that in the last week our president Mr. Obama had a change of hart when it comes to the economy.

Now the doom and gloom has been replace with hopes cashing out on the markets numbers reversal of fortune.

While we all know that manipulation has been going behind the scene many Americans are not aware of this, good numbers and even a green out look in the markets most be good news, right?.

Well now comes China . . . China just send a warning to the US after backing up the new stimulus package of Obama, see China do not bite into the so call Markets good fortune, so they are worry about their "investments".

Chinas imports are stagnated when it comes to the US needs for consumption, the economic crisis has brought a stand still when it comes to consumer confidence.

China is losing billions, so their investments are in danger.

Now America needs to be injected good news in order to have the American consumer spending back in Chinese goods.

That is when our president daily reassurance comes into play, heck he is been on TV for the last week no only once but in one occasion 4 times telling the American public that things are getting better.

That is my conspiracy angle on what went on last week.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Maybe China should be worried about it's "investment"...

As I see it, if we defaulted today, and they wanted to call in their "investments"...all they'd get back would be a few million ships full of cheap knock-off stuff they've been sellin' us...

...so there ya go...problem solved!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

While that is true and laughable, America is under the rule of the WTO this will create an international incident America will be left alone all imports and exports will canceled you can imagine the fines that will be put in place.

But should the America people care? we probably will be better off like that to be able to rebuild from the ashes after all we are resourceful people.

But will corporate America that are up to their necks into the global markets will be able to survive and allow the government to default? I don't think so see their job is not to protect American citizens "interest" but theirs.

And beside we don't have an idea what "secrets deals" had the American government worked out with China and any other nation that we owed.

The collapse of the American government will probably follow.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

AIG to pay out huge BONUSES due to pre-existing contractual obligations?

I am not thinking this will sit well with either investors or the public in general.
I think it stinks.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:08 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

AIG to pay out huge BONUSES due to pre-existing contractual obligations?

I am not thinking this will sit well with either investors or the public in general.
I think it stinks.

Oops,sorry this posted twice,power-blip.

[edit on 15-3-2009 by irishchic]

<< 109  110  111    113  114  115 >>

join