It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Did you know (many) Scientists are afraid of the Bible?”

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by RuneSpider

runespider,

Some good pts...

But your dates are off. Specifically, none of the scriptures quoted in the OP were from the 'church' When those scriptures were written, it was way before you 575 date...

OT

....PLEASE DONT USE ANOTHER QUOTE FROM THE BIBLE TO EXPLAIN THE ORIGINAL....

king0972,

Careful now you are starting to validate the title of my thread...

Are you afriad of the Good Book? You know it also says..."The god of this world has blinded the minds of those who don't believe. As a result, they don't see the light of the Good News about Christ's glory. It is Christ who is God's image." II Cor 4:4

Have you been to the eye doctor lately? How's the sight my man?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

K,

Hey, neat signature...

How Do I get colored font too?

OT

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
reply to post by sir_chancealot

Correlation is not the same thing as causation.

For those interested...here's the detailed explanation/difference of the two...

stats.org...

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by seenitall
I changed my post, this topic really annoys me though.

Maybe start by reading about the evolutionary history of life. Its backed up by enough data.

seenitall, huh? Misery loves company...

If you want to believe you came from an ape, are just a survival of the fittest mammal, in a dog eat dog world...and are going to make some good garden fertilizer some day...be my guest...

OT is more valuable than that!!

You don't believe in God...no big deal - He Believes in you!

Thanks for your thoughts, though!!

OT hoping!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Ot--thanks for your examples!

But I must maintain that they show observable phenomena. Nothing is inherantly wrong with that and it speaks to the intellegence of the people of the time. It's quite different, though, from something like the Bible describing the exact movement of the stars or the specific time and size of the Earth's rotation aroung the sun or the order in which organs develope on a human fetus.

Where I separate out "observation" and "science" is a)where you must use a device specifically to prove how something happens. b)a description or detection of the processes that cause one effect that are not discernible to the naked human senses.

I feel I must correct you on two important points though. One--not all scientists are sure that the Big Bang WAS the beginning, or that it happened at all and two--you are unfairly lumping cyclical cultures together. Most of them beleive that there was a point of creation, after which the world was systematically destroyed and renewed. Some deliniate this into the time of the rock, the time of the plant, the time of the animal, and currently the time of man--not unlike the BIble story if you are willing to look past semantic differences.

And once again--circular and spherical are NOT the same thing.

I think "paths of the sea" could hav ebeen observed--people did fish and travel by sea back then, there is even some marginal evidence that the Egyptians came to the New World--but I will conceed that I have no idea how they could have known that the seas were live valleys underneath!

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
If it where up to the Catholics, we would still believe the Earth sat at the center of the Universe. Copernicus got a session with the Inquisition for claiming this to be a fallacy.

If it where up to the Catholics, we'd all still live in fear of witches and magicians, and we'd still be burning that elderly lady that lives at the edge of the forest if and when our crops would fail or our cow would stop giving milk. Even if that elderly lady used to help her neighbours with herbal medicines and aiding women in labour.

All science deemed 'Satanical' was allmost a guarantee you'd end up at the center of a nice bonfire.

So yeah, I can understand Scientists would be afraid of the Bible :p

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

asmeone2,

It is TRULY a pleasure conversing with you!!!!

Thanks for the counsel...good pts...and for the concession - the under the water thing...

I'll keep looking...you are making my head hurt! ooohhh? I started this thread

OT

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phatcat

Phatcat,

Thanks for the comments - very good points!!

You are welcome to review the entire thread if you have time...OT would be interested in more of your thoughts...

Appreciate your contribution!

OT

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

reply to post by asmeone2

asmeone2,

It is TRULY a pleasure conversing with you!!!!

Thanks for the counsel...good pts...and for the concession - the under the water thing...

I'll keep looking...you are making my head hurt! ooohhh? I started this thread

OT

No prob OT I think your title could be better next time but it was a very good thread for discussion.

My dad knows a lot about sailing--I will try to ask him whether it is possible to see the bottom of the ocean if the circumstances are right.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
OT I believe in God, it just my own form of understanding, rather than listening to what people think God should be.

I grew up with a religious background. The amount of hypocrisy involved still makes me sick.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by seenitall

Hey thanks for the clarification...

OT

PS : Did you get the chance to review my latest assertion about the old testament being ahead of the scientific curve..?

I'd be interested in your thoughts...

OT

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by seenitall
I changed my post, this topic really annoys me though.

Maybe start by reading about the evolutionary history of life. Its backed up by enough data.

seenitall, huh? Misery loves company...

If you want to believe you came from an ape, are just a survival of the fittest mammal, in a dog eat dog world...and are going to make some good garden fertilizer some day...be my guest...

OT is more valuable than that!!

You don't believe in God...no big deal - He Believes in you!

Thanks for your thoughts, though!!

OT hoping!

That's what angers me......people are so willing to let teachers at school teach their own children that they are no more than animals.

Well.......my children are not animals. They are made in the image of God. That is what I believe, and I am entitled to believe it.

Other people may find it acceptable to tell their own children that they are animals...........and most of them probably are, anyway....just like their parents..

....Oh........don't come complaining to me that I called you animals. You called yourself that.

Peace, and good night.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
OM, OT here...

Don't think we have talked...thank you for the nice things you posted on page one...

Why do you think this thread has brought out such strong emotions?

Could OT be on to something important here...about how we humans run from the TRUTH at times...

We shouldn't, of course...

But some do...out of fear, huh?

OT

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

OM, OT here...

Don't think we have talked...thank you for the nice things you posted on page one...

Why do you think this thread has brought out such strong emotions?

Could OT be on to something important here...about how we humans run from the TRUTH at times...

We shouldn't, of course...

But some do...out of fear, huh?

OT

I think that is definitely the truth, OT.

People have, for a long time, shown a propensity to run from the truth.

Sad, don't you think?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
OM....here's more...

Skeptics, here’s some more scientific facts discovered a few hundred years ago that the Old Testament taught 1000’s of years ago!!!

Take Lightning, Thunder and Rain---WAY WAY back in the day, religious scripture taught that lightning bolts were missiles thrown in anger by their gods.
-China, Taoist scripture regarded the rainbow as a deadly rain dragon. Confucius said, the goddess of lightning, Tien Mu, flashed light on intended victims to enable Lei Kung, the god of thunder to launch his deadly bolts with precision…really! Since rain is so necessary to life, olden folks pondered what caused it. Some tried to stick holes in the clouds with spears. The Hindu scripture advised to tie a frog with its mouth open to the right tree, say the right words….and rain would fall.

The Bible, too, also talks about rain, lightning and storms. But it contains none of these superstitious ideas found in the other fairy-tales.The Judeo-Christian Bible taught that earth’s weather followed rules and cycles. See "While the earth remaineth, seed time and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease." Gen.8 My man, Job stated knew SO much…..in chapter28, verse 26 says…. "God made rules for the rain. And He set a way for the lightning of the thunder:" Many many many years later, scientists began to discern the "rules for the rain" that Job talked about. Rainfall is part of a process called the water cycle. Here’s how the cycle works. The sun evaporates water from the ocean. Water vapor rises and becomes clouds. This water in the clouds falls back to earth as rain, collects in streams and rivers and makes its way back to the ocean. That process repeats itself again and again and again…right?

300 years ago, Galileo (re) discovered this cycle. But amazingly the Scriptures described this cycle centuries before. The prophet Amos wrote that God "calls for the water of the sea. He pours them out on the land." How did Amos know this? Maybe he got that Delurion from Isaiah, Huh? Smile!!!!!

See Job 28:26 if you want to learn more!

Scientists are just beginning to fully understand God’s "decrees or rules for the rain." Since 68 BC it was thought that somehow thunder triggered the rainfall. Now scientists are beginning to realize it is lightning that triggers the rain to fall. Job knew this 3,000 years ago.

The TRUTH is never ending!!!! And the ‘experts’ still ignore??????????????????????

OT getting lonely here....

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phatcat

If it where up to the Catholics, we'd all still live in fear of witches and magicians, and we'd still be burning that elderly lady that lives at the edge of the forest if and when our crops would fail or our cow would stop giving milk.

You have a distorted view of history. It was the Puritans that killed the "witches", not Catholics:

school.discoveryeducation.com...

In keeping with the Puritan code of conformity, the first women to be accused of witchcraft in Salem were seen as different and as social outcasts: Tituba, a slave; Sarah Good, a homeless beggar; and Sarah Osborne, a sickly old woman who married her servant.

Fear of magic and witchcraft was common in New England, as it had been in Europe for centuries. Over 100 alleged witches had been tried and hanged in New England during the 1600s. But the hangings in 1692 Salem would be the last ones in America.

You should also learn the difference between "where" and "were", but then again, there are probably much more compelling educational goals that you have yet to achieve, such as acting and speaking in a civilized manner.

I would suggest that you find a church, and get some religion. God is an all-forgiving God.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Prof,

Welcome!

Great name...

OT

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Personally, as a retired Professor, I see no conflict between what Scientists do and the Bible. In fact, what many scientists fail to understand is that what they think is investigation into the laws of nature and the universe, is what we believers see as God's plan for the universe and us.
Many of those on this thread that have flamed religion cannot seem to understand that humans put their own individual "spin" on God's design and call that religion, and some go too far, and confuse what GOD wants with what HUMANS want.
I hear the argument frequently here on ATS that "if it weren't for religion, there would be no wars", etc. Of course, such a claim is utter nonsense. Nations don't seem to need religion to start a war. The Greeks started a war over one woman! Have wars been blamed on religion? Sure, but if you look deeper into the REAL reasons, you usually find economic reasons as the cause. God, Religion, and the Bible are convenient whipping boys for many people, and their anger really says quite a bit about the inner conflict that goes on in their minds.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Thanks for your points...

I'm sure your students miss you...

Completely agree with your assertion about war...there are many reasons for sure...and faith is minimal with that.

Regarding economics...yes for some...but certainly the African-American community, in many areas, have had financial-challenges...yet a large majority are people of faith...in the past and currently.

Also great clarification on the other post...

I have been impressed with the majority of posts with this thread...and appreciate your contribution...

I'm certainly not an expert with this subject, but am challenged to learn more...

I'll keep um' coming as i find pertinent info...

OT out

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

Originally posted by science lol
reply to post by badmedia

It was always a 'single particle', the act of measuring it just makes it collapse. While this wave/particle duality is mysterious, it has nothing to do with what our consciousness.

[edit on 6-10-2008 by science lol]

Well I know it's all connected and stuff, and so the wave is still a single particle. I get you there, and I get that level.

But you say the act of measuring. Well what is doing the measuring?
What is the measuring and results being presented to? And what is doing all the measuring in our senses so that we only see and can sense the collapsed particle? Is it not consciousness?

Well at that quantum level, any measurement we attempt to make, interact with the particle or the system. (See Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle) Such interactions collapse the wave fronts.

I sort of see where you're coming from, but our thought processes have nothing to do with the outcomes, our physical experiments on the other hand, determine a lot.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join