It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Did you know (many) Scientists are afraid of the Bible?”

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
What about the incredible number of references to a flat earth with four corners resting upon pillars rendering it motionless in the heavens, and the firmament that holds the stars in the sky — but concepts like the flat earth, geocentrism, and other silly and blatantly false concepts were believed and violently argued by Christians throughout history based on these same verses. It's funny how Christians used to lean on the Bible as proof of these things, but now that there is no rational way to believe these fantasies, these phrases magically no longer mean what they used to mean. Odd, that.

And let's not forget the references throughout the Bible to hordes of mythical creatures. Heck, at a glance we see unicorns (Numbers 24:8, 23:22, Deuteronomy 33:17, Isaiah 34:7), dragons (Deuteronomy 32:33, Psalm 74:13, Isaiah 13:22, 27:1, 34:13, 43:20, 51:9, Jeremiah 14:6, Revelation 12:4), cockatrices (Isaiah 11:8, 14:29, 59:5, Jeremiah 8:17), and satyrs (Isaiah 13:22, 34:14), just to name a few.

Apparently, God believes that bats are birds (Leviticus 11:13-19, Deuteronomy 14:11-18), an assertion that modern science would seem to refute. You know, since bats are mammals and all.

Then there's the old standby — despite having created all creatures, God seems to be blissfully unaware of that fact that rabbits are not ruminants. Why do I say this? Because the Bible twice mentions that hares and coneys "chew the cud" (Leviticus 11:5-6, Deuteronomy 14:17).

Here are a few more little ones: snails don't melt (Ps 58:8), ostriches are known to be attentive parents who do not abandon their eggs or their young (which kind of screws the whole "God didn't give animals wisdom" argument in the book of Job (39:13-17), huh?), the mustard seed is not the smallest seed on the earth (Mark 4:31), and no matter how hard we pray — and believe us, we were pulling for this one — having goats copulate in front of streaked rods won't make them give birth to streaked babies.

But at the end of the day, either the Bible is the infallible and literal word of God...or it's not.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by riggs2099
Gee...see what happens when you let just anyone in..lol. The bible is a bunch of BS written by men to control the feable minded. If there is a God, I say he isn't the bung hole the bible makes him out to be. What kind of loving kind being threatens it's creation with eternal damnation. I'm not sure about the whole God and devil (exists or doesn't...hmmm)thing but one thing is for sure...I mock and laugh at the bibles version. To all you who preach this garbage, stop f'ing your life up so bad that you need to seek outside intervention to fix it or your just easily manipulated and that would be what the original author was hoping for
. Oh yeah don't bother preachimg and saying crap like ill pray for you....save it....roll your prayers side ways and shove em up your candy ***...

[edit on 5-10-2008 by riggs2099]

riggs2099,

Hey man, where you been? Prisons should at least allow you to have a blackberry to keep up with all your intellectually-based posts...

If you need a reference let OT know...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I agree and disagree. I don't think scientists are afraid of the bible images.

But science is definitely afraid of consciousness and choice. They never include consciousness into much of anything. In a world of action/reaction, these things have no place. And because they can't explain it's position into things, they simply ignore it.

And the bible outside of the images talks about consciousness/god.

What I love about quantum physics is that it actually doesn't ignore consciousness. And I think it in many ways does explain the things Jesus talked about, which have up to this point been ignored in science.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

badmedia,

Good points there!

Thank you for contributing.

OT

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
A lot of scientists are Theistic, meaning they believe in a God, or several Gods depending.
So, most of them are not afraid of the Bible.
I can't speak for them personally, but I know it's a common practice to use the Bible or a moral guide (mostly by picking on choosing the morals) than a basis for understanding.

As for the Ancients not believing the Earth was a sphere... not exactly.
en.wikipedia.org...

Pythagoras held the Earth was a Sphere in 570 BCE, well before the Church came into formation.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

runespider,

Some good pts...

But your dates are off. Specifically, none of the scriptures quoted in the OP were from the 'church' When those scriptures were written, it was way before you 575 date...

OT

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Personally, I think the subject line of this post is what is generating the hostile responses. I don't think any scientist would be afraid of the Bible, as if they let the Bible inspire fear into them, they wouldn't be scientists.

There is absolutely no reason why science and religion can't coexist. The Bible can be investigated as a historical document, on par with the ancient Greek myths, and other texts from that time, that have led to some wonderous historical discoveries (City of Troy, etc.). To limit your investigation to one or the other is to limit your understanding of the world as a whole.

Scientific growth and spirtual growth are two very different topics. What is important to gain from the Bible is the message (more NT then OT in this regard). How you utilize that message in your personal life has nothing to do with science.

Basically, the premise for the existance of this thread is faulty. Although I do not agree with the choice of words used by some of the previous posters, I do agree that this thread is "garbage".

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Old Man
reply to post by riggs2099

I believe that a belief in God makes us better persons.

I've never seen where a belief in God made any difference.

We are more likely to help someone in need, because we see them as the children of God.

I try to help people in need because I see them as fellow humans.

We also believe that we will be judged according to how we have treated people.

True, in a way. but it will be your fellow humans and yourself doing the judging. Are you doing good just to make brownie points or because it's the human thing to do?

That is why we have not wasted our lives.....not lived them as selfishly as we would otherwise.

So you think without God, you would be selfish? Well, you may be, but please don't apply it to everyone else that doesn't believe the way you do.

Whether you agree with this belief or not, the fact remains that there are countless people in the world today who are thankful that people like me think the way they do

Pat yourself on the back, much?

Now, to get back on topic, I can give you the names of several religious groups that oppose science. In return, you name some scientists that are afraid of the bible.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

Lol......didn't you read my earlier post?

I'm a very old man with sore fingers, and there are a great many sources for you to do your research.

I stated my belief, which I am entitled to, and I am sticking to it.

And, no, I don't tend to pat myself on the back much. But my belief is my belief.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Sorry, that was supposed to be a reply to thematrix. 'Im at work, so it ended up being a later reply than I intended.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Old Man

Lol......didn't you read my earlier post?

I'm a very old man with sore fingers, and there are a great many sources for you to do your research.

I stated my belief, which I am entitled to, and I am sticking to it.

And, no, I don't tend to pat myself on the back much. But my belief is my belief.

I read it. But you chose to name this thread : “Did you know (many) Scientists are afraid of the Bible?” . Not “It's my belief that (many) Scientists are afraid of the Bible”

You stated as it as fact, now it's just your belief. Ok, fine. No need for me to do any research.

And sorry about your sore fingers.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Ooops, Old Thinker, not Old Man, started the thread. I think you might have gotten a tad snarky with the wrong person, Pauligirl

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Old Man

Can you provide ONE example of a 'biblical prophecy' that occurred AFTER it was canonized at the council of Nicaea?

... [waiting patiently] ...

DIDN'T THINK SO!

You cannot count a prophecy fulfilled when the fulfillment had occurred BEFORE the prophecy was written, or at least documented.

That's like 'Predicting 9-11' by writing a book TODAY about someone who had a prophecy and warned us a decade prior. Hindsight is always 20/20, which is where the bogus 'bible code' comes in.

Okay, since the bible is such a reliable source, have there been any 'biblical prophecies' that HAVEN'T come true?

Here's one:

Jesus will return, affecting the end times and revelation, during the lifetime of the 12 Apostles.
Mark 8:39 to 9:1, Mark 13:30-33, Matthew 16:28, Matthew 24:34, Luke 9:26-27, and the list goes on...

... DID NOT HAPPEN.

The bible, and Nostradamus, used prophecies that were SOOOOO vague, they couldn't help but come to pass.

Here, I'll make a prophecy that I place a billion-dollar guarantee on coming true within the next year:

"Yay, and there were some people, and unto those people, some events will happen. These events will be good, followed by bad, followed again by good, and the people rejoiced!"

Gimme a break.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

Ooops, Old Thinker, not Old Man, started the thread. I think you might have gotten a tad snarky with the wrong person, Pauligirl

You're right, I did. How do I unsnark?

Sorry to both the Olds.

I think I'll just go lay down for a while.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by RuneSpider

runespider,

Some good pts...

But your dates are off. Specifically, none of the scriptures quoted in the OP were from the 'church' When those scriptures were written, it was way before you 575 date...

OT

Typical bible thumping IGNORANCE. You specifically endorse posters that mention a point that supports your ignorant OT, but totally ignore a well writen response by RedHatty. And by the way, when your trying to support your arguement in defense of a comment made about a quote from the bible... PLEASE DONT USE ANOTHER QUOTE FROM THE BIBLE TO EXPLAIN THE ORIGINAL.

Why is this thread even open and why are people still arguing this? It's pathetic that anyone still believes in this crap, it's the reason you morons have let your country be hijacked, raped and pillaged. Cause you guys enjoy blissful, blind submission... err... I mean "faith"...

The bible is simply about astrology. People have added their personifications to heavenly events. The religion of Christianity was simply a way to control the populace.

Additionally, it's extremely odd how many other religions (CREATED BEFORE CHRISTIANITY) have the same traits for their savior that jesus had. Horus (3000BC), ATTIS (1200BC), Krishna (900BC), DIONYSUS(500BC), MITHRA (1200BC) to name a few, they all mysteriously have the exact same traits as jesus. WEIRD!?

The bible, as well as Christianity were completely plagiarized from previous holy books. Jesus is simply the personification of the age "PISCES" note, the fish that dumb Christians have all over their bumpers.

For you OP, in the Old Testament when Moses comes down mount Sinai, he is upset with his followers who are worshipping a golden bull representing the age of Taurus, the age proceeding Pisces. He then commands his people to kill eachother in hopes of purification....

MOSES: "Go in and out from gate to gate and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbor" EXODUS 32

The bible, and christianity are a joke. Your ignorance is the driving force that has allowed the last world super power to crumble around you while you followed in blissful IGNORANCE!

[edit on 5-10-2008 by king9072]

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Gosh, I really hate to throw a monkey wrench into all of this but

1 - you have failed to show me these scientists that are 'afraid of the bible.'

I was really hoping to see men in lab coats running and diving out windows as a book approached.

2 - use the Quaran. It has far more science in it that was not discovered until modern times. I am not Christian or Muslim but when it comes to revelaing science way before it's time, the Quaran has the Bible beat any day.

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Thank you so much for your post. I promise I'm not ignoring anyone, I only have my treo, so long answers are not possible just know. Please give me day or so until I get my laptop back and l'll get back with both of you, ok?

Please be assured we will probably not agree, l will never call you or your post (thoughts) ignorant

OT out...

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MorningStar8741

Very good post...funny, too. l had visions of four old ladies with big tv tray king james bibles chasing some skinny science dudes in lab coats, too.

My title met the intention...spark some good conversation on the Bible being validated later thru scientific discoveries

Appreciated your input

OT

posted on Oct, 5 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   

OT did you have time to look for any specific scientific references yet?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
reply to post by MorningStar8741

Very good post...funny, too. l had visions of four old ladies with big tv tray king james bibles chasing some skinny science dudes in lab coats, too.

My title met the intention...spark some good conversation on the Bible being validated later thru scientific discoveries

Appreciated your input

OT

What can I say, that was truly the image that came to mind as I came across the title. Anyway, I used to have a few books on this subject. Not just the KJB but the Quaran and some other related things (old text = new scientific finds...etc.) Even if I still had them I would never be scanning each page in but they were interesting. There was a lot of interpretation involved. I just could not help but be overwhelmingly impressed with what the Quaran had compared to anything else. I mean by leaps and bounds.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join