It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Did you know (many) Scientists are afraid of the Bible?”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
“Did you know (many) Scientists are afraid of the Bible?”

OK, now how many years ago did the prophet Isaiah live?

What about when the Psalms were written?

Was it after ‘Science’ discovered…that the earth was round? I don’t think so..?

Was it after ‘Science’ discovered…that the universe is expanding?

I don’t know…maybe…possibly…Isaiah could have had access to MyFly’s Dilourion (sp?) and jumped ahead in time…probably saw John Titor, had lunch, Italian, I think…and then secretly peeked at the Journal of Modern Science…took some notes…went back to Biblical times, wrote it down and was promoted to Old Testament Author?????

Skeptic, certainly this is mathematically possible….with enough TIME and CHANCE, right?

Well, let’s see what he wrote, ok?

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. - Isaiah 40:22

He wraps himself in light as with a garment; he stretches out the heavens like a tent and lays the beams of his upper chambers on their waters. He makes the clouds his chariot and rides on the wings of the wind. - Psalms 104:2-3

This is what God the Lord says — he who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and all that comes out of it, who gives breath to its people, and life to those who walk on it. - Isaiah 42:5

The Lord speaking:
"It is I who made the earth and created mankind upon it. My own hands stretched out the heavens; I marshaled their starry hosts." - Isaiah 45:12

WoW! He knew the earth was round and the universe is expanding! Gee wise!

Certainly JOB had access to a telescope…He must have…right….because he claimed…that the Earth is suspended in emptiness, or space, which Job describes as "nothing." Chapter 26:7 says, "He spreads out the northern [skies] over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing." NEXT>>>

What about THE HYDROLOGIC CYCLE? OT, what does that mean? I don’t know…I’m thirsty, got to get a drink of water…I’ll be right back??? Water, huh? That’s it! en.wikipedia.org...

It’s all in the GOOD BOOK, folks!!! Who would a thunk it? Even the sphericity stuff too! Whew, this is a neat book!

"He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the streams; the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on mankind." - Job 36:27-28 "He wraps up the waters in his clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their weight." - Job 26:8

The wind blows to the south and turns to the north; round and round it goes, ever returning on its course. All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again. - Ecclesiastes 1:6-7

“Hey did you know Moses went to Oxford? Really, must have…he knew that the future fossil record prove plants were around before animals…”

“Really! That’s amazing OT!”

“ Ah, not me…I read it somewhere…"Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. - Genesis 1:11

And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." - Genesis 1:20 And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. - Genesis 1:24 NEXT>>>>>

“OT, I thought the Bible was disproved by science?” “Yeah, I’ve heard that myth a few times, did you know the Bible agrees with science…it too says…that the first life appeared in the water…just like science………………….And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures..." - Genesis 1:20

That’s enough for now…we’ll dribble more later…like the wonderful morning dew!!!!

Indiana-Jones-hat-wearing-OT out!!!
searching~~~~~~~~~~

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Part 2 Con’t…

Here’s some more scientific factoids to ponder…

On the clearest night possible…with the naked eye…go out…better yet go atop the highest mountain near you…on the clearest night…and count…count the stars…I bet you can count a lot…but not an infinite amount…you will come up with a number, for sure…

Yet…the Bible spoke a scientific fact…may many years before we had telescopes…that the number of stars is endless…or at least a whole bunch more than we can count readily…correct? Another one of those old ‘scientists’ named Jeremiah said…"I will make the descendants of David my servant and the Levites who minister before me as countless as the stars of the sky and as measureless as the sand on the seashore.'"

Also Charlton Heston, I mean MOSES said of the LORD to Abraham…"I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies,"

My man, Jacob "But you have said, 'I will surely make you prosper and will make your descendants like the sand of the sea, which cannot be counted.'" in Genesis 32… also in Gen 15…”He took him outside and said, "Look up at the heavens and count the stars—if indeed you can count them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."

Data-minded folks…OT loves you…is some of this Truth…sinking in?

Also what about the old dudes speaking of "valleys" existing beneath the sea? Thousands and thousands of years ago?? How could they have known of this…satellites maybe? Probably not too probable, huh?
See…”The valleys of the sea were exposed and the foundations of the earth laid bare at the rebuke of the Lord, at the blast of breath from his nostrils. - 2 Samuel 22:16 Oh, I see they were seismic experts?

More to come…also I look forward to discussing human nature and the fear of truth…

OT out…

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It's not that they or I fear the bible, it's the fact that these people know that it's a load of rubbish, total lies to control the dumb people

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pockets
It's not that they or I fear the bible, it's the fact that these people know that it's a load of rubbish, total lies to control the dumb people

Thank you for your targeted response to the content of my post...

And validating my title..

OT

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Thank you for your targeted response to the content of my post...

And validating my title..

OT

yeah how's that

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
That is a good post, OP.

The bible has been shown to be right many times.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Old Man

How has the bible ever been right? you G's are fanatical crazy's!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   

reply to post by Old Man

How has the bible ever been right? you G's are fanatical crazy's!

Yo G !!!

Focus on the content...in the OP!!!

Please stay focused homie

"Aawh Yeah"

OT Bommin''' www.youtube.com...

edit: I re-read it and it was a rhryme....

[edit on 4-10-2008 by OldThinker]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Old Man
That is a good post, OP.

OM With respect the bible has also shown to be completely untrue on many occasions and,apart from people cherrypicking out certain quotes and then superimposing their own preconceptions onto them,I think this will remain to be the case.
Also there is the fact that the bible contains a great many homicidal instructions issued from god to ´true beleivers´.
These include murdering slaves,non beleivers,adulterers,sabbath workers,unruly teenagers and homosexuals.
Why does nobody address these parts of the bible?
The bible is either man made or not-if folks beleive the latter then why don´t they engage in cold blooded homicide as instructed?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

Originally posted by Old Man
That is a good post, OP.

OM With respect the bible has also shown to be completely untrue on many occasions and,apart from people cherrypicking out certain quotes and then superimposing their own preconceptions onto them,I think this will remain to be the case.
Also there is the fact that the bible contains a great many homicidal instructions issued from god to ´true beleivers´.
These include murdering slaves,non beleivers,adulterers,sabbath workers,unruly teenagers and homosexuals.
Why does nobody address these parts of the bible?
The bible is either man made or not-if folks beleive the latter then why don´t they engage in cold blooded homicide as instructed?

Karl 12

A bit off target here...

Have I super-imposed a thing? Can you back up your assertions in relation to OT's OP?

Sure people of all faiths have done wrong...but we have done more GOOD...see.. www.faithfacts.org...

I think you are the one denying my man...but thanks for the thoughts...but please do a bit more research when you talk so defiantly...

You know what opinions are like....everybody's got one and they usually stink...

Now back to the OP please...

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
OP while I am going to concur with the guy that said scientists tend to be afraid of the people weilding the Bible, and not the book itself, thanks for taking the time to compile what you consider evidence of your positiion, it looks like it took you a long time.

Here are some of the issues I have with your posting though.

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. - Isaiah 40:22...
- Psalms 104:2-3....
- Isaiah 42:5...
,Isaiah 45:12...

WoW! He knew the earth was round and the universe is expanding! Gee wise!

Edited out for brevity, none of those verses refer to the earth being spherical, but indicate god "streching out" over them. One uses the word Circular, but that's not too impressive to me--I think it's far more likely that the writer of the verse means that when you turn around and look in all directions, the earth appears to be like a circular disk.

"He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the streams; the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on mankind." - Job 36:27-28 "He wraps up the waters in his clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their weight." - Job 26:8

I thought they did burst... and that's what we call rain?

As far as Moses and the astonamy goes--remember that even Christians know that he spent his early years living as a prince of Egypt. Think how fine-tuned the Egyptian knowledge of the stars were! I am no Egyptologist but I'd reckon if they could observe the stars in such detail they could make similar observations about their own world. Any science that Moses recorded likely came from his Egyptian education.

As for the rest of the verses--sure they provide evidence for "scientific principals," but the easily observable ones. Ancient people were not *stupid* and would catch on that rivers flow into the sea, the wind blows with no apparent source, the rain falls from clouds.

Now--if you found a verse that detailed the Periodic Table or talked about the chemical composition of the atmosphere or talked about the lifestyle of microorganisms (without having to resort to some kind of Bible COde) that would impress me. What you've shown is that the bible observes science at work, not that it is a difinitive or all-inclusive scientific treatise.

Personally I don't like it when people try to use the Bible to prove or disprove some kind of scientific principal. I don't think that was what it was intended for, so it's always going to be a difficult sell.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Old Man

come on, how has the bible ever been right, I want to know

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Religion scares me because its followers doesnt question the book since its part of the religion to not question it.

Then they say that God tests their faith when they start to doubt it.

I feel very strongly that its a prison for your mind. Im not a scientist however.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

asmeone2,

Appreciate your comments and questions, please give me some time...and I'll research your post...

Again, you were 'on topic'

Very good!!!

OT Honored!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Religion scares me because its followers doesnt question the book since its part of the religion to not question it.

Then they say that God tests their faith when they start to doubt it.

I feel very strongly that its a prison for your mind. Im not a scientist however.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by Copernicus]

Copernicus,

ME TOO! Religion scares the heck out of me....

There's a new one started every week...just read the inquire!

I'm not talking about a 'religion' here...

That's Man's attempt to get to god-knida pointless...

Christianity is God reaching to Man...big difference...

OT

PS: JC is a big God...He never scoffs at questions...if you seek with your WHOLE HEART it says...

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

reply to post by Old Man

come on, how has the bible ever been right, I want to know

Pockets, OT here...

I gave your about a dozen examples of how the Bible is right in the OP

I gave you tons of examples where Christians have contributed to society...

Please take some time when you have it and read the gospel of John every day for a week...

OT politefully dares you...

And when you read say something like this...

Hey you up there...if you are there...OT says you'll meet me if i read this all week...here's your shot...bring it on!

And U2U my the results...

Double dog dare you!!!!!!

OT prayin'

edit-add: What did you think of the Bommin' video G?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

I would love it if you had more specific scientific examples from the Bible, so far no one I know has had any, I'm of course not discrediting your examples, just saying that they are very obvious ones.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Hey man this is fun-thank you!!!

OT will work on it...

You are very balanced my man!!

OT

edit: PS-how bout the 'cowboys'...I mean Skins!!!

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

karl 12,

Of course there have been mistakes in the past...

The new covenant does not allow for that BS...as it shouldn't...

I posted this earlier on another thread which is since closed...I think it would be appropriate here to address your concerns...

= = = = =

Background:

I am a follower of Jesus Christ…for over 35yrs

I am a statistician…by trade

I am a believer in the secular-influenced-Lawrence Kolberg, and his theory of Moral Development…built upon Jean Piaget’s Cognitive Development…both behavior scientists of the mid 1900’s.

To summarize Kolberg…every decision/perspective/rationale and ultimately BEHAVIOR…is a result of the their PRIMARY stages of development…

Here’s an overview…

Stage 1 – Decisions/perspectives….based on REWARD and PUNISHMENT…this is the most basic (immature)…another way to say it…the ‘stick’ (ruler) or the ‘carrot’ (sweats)…or from a religious perspective…..‘heaven’ and ‘hell.’

Stage 2 – Decisions/perspectives…based on EXTERNAL Influences…another way to say it… “RULES.”

And

Stage 3 – Decisions/perspectives…based on INTERNAL Influences…another way to say… “PRINCIPLES.”

Here’s an example to bring it to life…

“A woman was near death from a special kind of cancer. There was one drug that the doctors thought might save her. It was a form of radium that a druggist in the same town had recently discovered. The drug was expensive to make, but the druggist was charging ten times what the drug cost him to produce. He paid $200 for the radium and charged $2,000 for a small dose of the drug. The sick woman's husband, Heinz, went to everyone he knew to borrow the money, but he could only get together about $1,000 which is half of what it cost. He told the druggist that his wife was dying and asked him to sell it cheaper or let him pay later. But the druggist said: "No, I discovered the drug and I'm going to make money from it." So Heinz got desperate and broke into the man's store to steal the drug for his wife.”

The question to ask…to determine…their (current) stage of development is…

Q - “Should Heinz have broken into the laboratory to steal the drug for his wife? Why or why not?”

A – Stage 1 – “I don’t steal…because I’m afraid of being ‘caught!’

A – Stage 2 – “I don’t steal…because it’s ‘wrong!’

A – Stage 3 – “I don’t steal…because I respect others and their property!” But LIFE is more important…and I’ll pay the price, but a life will be saved!”

Kolberg’s theory is right on, in my book…

His approach, in my mind, is a reflection of the TRUTH documented in the Holy Bible…

Stage 1 – Reward and Punishment – Torah - “...If you eat from this tree, you will surely die…” Genesis 2:16

Stage 2 – Rules - All those old testament commandments…

Stage 3 – Principles – The new testament writers review when the Lord Jesus was asked, “…which is the greatest commandment?” He responded… “…it’s the principle of love…Love the Lord God with all your heart, soul and mind, and your neighbor AS YOURSELF.” Matthew 22:36

“ALL the OT rests on this!” Matthew 22:37

So to bring it home, to answer your poignant questions…I try and surround myself with principle-centered people…people who have worked thru the first two stages but are ‘living’ in the third…

By the way, Kolberg explains, that the transitions from one stage to another…is predominantly achieved through asking…”why?” and that’s what ATS stands for!!!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join