It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

“Did you know (many) Scientists are afraid of the Bible?”

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
reply to post by shihulud

Animals???
Let's say for example, you had a son. That son wanted a pet.
Now, would you consider the pet a son, too?
Because God gave Adam animals in the garden.
Look at all those fruity people who dress their dogs and cats up and treat them like kids - however that still does not detract from the fact that humans are animals of the Homos genus.

G

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by seenitall

seenitall,

Nice post...appreciate your thoughts...

My God is a tad closer...like a brother to me...for over 35 years...

OT looks beyond the BS from humans...and goes straight to the SOURCE!

I encourage you to read the new testament AGAIN...and say something like this before you do..."I'm a good person, there are those who say we humans can KNOW you...I'm not sure...please show me, ok?"

HE will...I guarantee it!

OT appreciates you!

edit: FAT fingers!

[edit on 7-10-2008 by OldThinker]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by shihulud

S, What's up big boy!!! I SO respect you....thanks for joining OT's humble thread!!!!

You are the man!!!!!!!!!

OT

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Well, I looked into some commentary on this one.

Reverend Doctor Adam Clarke wrote in his Commentary

that 'Aish has been generally understood to signify the Great Bear; Kesil Orion; and Kimah the Pleiades, may be seen everywhere; but that they do signify these constellations is perfectly uncertain. We have only conjectures concerning their meaning.

As to the Hebrew words, they might as well have been applied to any of the other constellations of heaven; indeed, it does not appear that constellations at all are meant.

And the Catholic Encyclopedia says:

The uranography of the Jews is fraught with perplexity. Some half-dozen star-groups are named in the Scriptures, but authorities differ widely as to their identity. In a striking passage the Prophet Amos (v, 8) glorifies the Creator as "Him that made Kimah and Kesil", rendered in the Vulgate as Arcturus and Orion. Now Kimah certainly does not mean Arcturus. The word, which occurs twice in the Book of Job (ix, 9; xxxviii, 31), is treated in the Septuagint version as equivalent to Pleiades. This, also, is the meaning given to it in the Talmud and throughout Syrian literature; it is supported by etymological evidences, the Hebrew term being obviously related to the Arabic root kum (accumulate), and the Assyrian kamu (to bind); while the "chains of Kimah", referred to in the sacred text, not inaptly figure the coercive power imparting unity to a multiple object. The associated constellation Kesil is doubtless no other than our Orion. Yet, in the first of the passages in Job where it figures, the Septuagint gives Herper; in the second, the Vulgate quite irrelevantly inserts Arcturus; Karstens Niebuhr (1733-1815) understood Kesil to mean Sirius; Thomas Hyde (1636-1703) held that it indicated Canopus. Now kesil signifies in Hebrew "impious", adjectives expressive of the stupid criminality which belongs to the legendary character of giants; and the stars of Orion irresistibly suggest a huge figure striding across the sky.

So these 2 sources basically say, that "Job" could have been talking about any constellation, we, today, in our enlightened state, have decided they MUST have been Orion, Pleiades and Arcturus. Another example of revisionism in the Bible, IMHO

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Redhatty,

Whew! That was QUICK...God love these computers...and google, huh?

Thanks for your (his) thoughts....

OT speculating here...when you read it, my post that is....you....in your heart....hoped I was right! Please don't answer...just think about it ok?

With today's internet...you can find any opinion...on any subject...on any topic...any-where....correct?

OT's gotta worry about a guy who calls himself DOCTOR REVEREND....don't know him...but it sounds like to me...the-most-high -bishop-cardinal-etc.etc. kind of a guy...?????

I don't know....of course, I'll look into this...after the BBQ...though...

I do appreciate your contribution here........but my 'inspirational' theme from earlier...is still true, my man...

OT not trying to WIN here....just putting out thoughts, opinions and the GOOD NEWS/GOSPEL!!!

Thank you ATS leaders for the opportunity...you guys are great!

OT hungry!

PS:redhatty, keep looking ok?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
OT speculating here...when you read it, my post that is....you....in your heart....hoped I was right! Please don't answer...just think about it ok?

Been there, done that, even thought it was the truth back when I was 14 or so. Funny what happens when you study comparative religions and ancient history, then do a little research into the development of the canon. Been there done that, I've gotten to the what's next stage
But I do still love the discussions

PS:redhatty, keep looking ok?

Will do, and you do too Old Thinker

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Wow!

That's great! Thanks...

It IS how we FEED ourselves, no doubt!

You, too, are respected....this is defintely fun!!!!!

Any other BELOVED skeptics, out there????? Chime in...chime...is that a religious word? Sorry!

Dinner's gettin' close....

OT

PS: Also the heavy-breather debate is later tonight....Tina Faye is not on, right?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

So redhatty, you are denying my post...and all these astronomical scientists/experts' point of view quoted here.....below? in BOLD

= = = =

Let’s talk about SPACE, ok?

Specifically… Orion , Pleiades, and Arcturus

Remember the old story of Job…He’s the guy who had it all, was tested, endured…and ultimately came out smelling like a rose!

When he was going through the testing he asked the LORD some pointed questions, in his book, primarily chapter 28…if you have time please go and read, ok?

Here’s the questions…remember the Book of Job is very very old…maybe the oldest in the OT…it goes like this…”Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades, or loose the bands of Orion? Canst thou guide Arcturus with his sons?”

ORION? Huh? A fellow named Garrett P. Serviss, the noted astronomer, wrote about the bands of Orion in a book titled CURIOSITIES OF THE SKY.

He says, "Orion has an almost perfect straight line, a row of second-magnitude stars about equally spaced. Thru time, however, the two right-hand stars, Mintaka and Alnilam, will approach each other and form a naked-eye double; but the third, Alnitak, will drift away eastward so that the band will no longer exist."

"One star is traveling in a certain direction at a certain speed, a second one is traveling in a different direction at a second speed, and the third one is going in a third direction and at a still different speed."

In reality, every star in Orion is traveling its ‘own’ course, independent of all the others. Thus, these stars that we see forming one of the bands of Orion are as an example like 3 boats out on the high seas that happen to be in line at the present moment, but will ultimately in the future be separated by thousands of miles of ocean. In fact, all these stars that at the present time constitute the constellation of Orion are bound for different countries, and all are journeying to different corners of the universe, so that the bands are being diminished and evident gone.

THE PLEIADES, huh? See how they are different! The seven stars of the Pleiades are in reality a grouping of 250 suns. Photographs now reveal that 250 blazing suns in this group are all traveling together in one common direction. Concerning this cluster, Isabel Lewis of the United States Naval Observatory tells us: “Astronomers have identified 250 stars as actual members of this group, all sharing in a common motion and drifting through space in the same direction.” Lewis also speaks of them as "journeying onward together through the immensity of space."

The Lick Observatory said of Dr. Robert J. Trumpler… “Over 25,000 individual measures of the Pleiades stars are now available, and their study led to the important discovery that the whole cluster is moving in a southeasterly direction. The Pleiades stars may thus be compared to a swarm of birds, flying together to a distant goal. This leaves no doubt that the Pleiades are not a temporary or accidental agglomeration of stars, but a system in which the stars are bound together by a close kinship.”

Without any reference whatsoever to the Book of Job, he announced to the world that these discoveries prove that the stars in the Pleiades are all bound together and are flying together like a flock of birds as they journey to their distant goal. Isn’t that exactly what God said to Job, way back in the day????
"Canst thou bind the sweet influences of Pleiades?" In other words, Canst thou keep them bound together so that they remain as a family of suns? You gotta admit, that’s pretty neat, at least, right?

INCREDIBLE! God's laws of cosmology are getting rid of the constellation Orion…evidentally and slowly….and…surprise, surprise…every last one of the 250 blazing suns in the Pleiades are ordained of God to orbit together in their symmetrical dancing! Whew…HE is awesome…and loves you more than you know…please re-consider Him…

ARCTURUS, huh? God asks…"Can you guide Arcturus with his sons?" Garrett P. Serviss wrote: “Arcturus, one of the greatest suns in the universe, is a runaway whose speed of flight is 257 miles per second. Arcturus, we have every reason to believe, possesses thousands of times the mass of our sun. Think of it! Our sun is traveling only 12 ½ miles a second, but Arcturus is traveling 257 miles a second. Think then of the prodigious momentum this motion implies.”
He also observes…”It could be turned into a new course by a close approach to a great sun, but it could only be stopped by collision head on with a body of enormous mass. Barring such accidents, it must, as far as we can see, keep on until it has traversed our stellar system, whence it may escape and pass out into space beyond to join perhaps one of those other island universes of which we have spoken.”

Scientist Charles Burckhalter, of the Chabot Observatory, said, “This high velocity places Arcturus in that very small class of stars that apparently are a law unto themselves. He is an outsider, a visitor, a stranger within the gates; to speak plainly, Arcturus is a runaway. Newton gives the velocity of a star under control as not more than 25 miles a second, and Arcturus is going 257 miles a second. Therefore, combined attraction of all the stars we know cannot stop him or even turn him in his path.”

Mr. Burckhalter said, “The study of the Book of Job and its comparison with the latest scientific discoveries has brought me to the matured conviction that the Bible is an inspired book and was written by the One who made the stars!” AWESOME!

Tarcturus and his sons are runaways that seem to be out of orbit in our galaxy. Traveling at such incredible speeds, why don’t they crash? Ram with other suns or planets? Where are they going I wonder? Only God knows. They will not crash because He is leading them!

“SO WHAT OT?” Glad you asked…when things are going bad for you…and they will..eventually…this is God’s way…of loving you…so you will turn to Him…. He may say to you…..Can you cut the bands of Orion? No! But My Divine power will. Some day Orion will no longer exist. ATS-er, can you bind the 250 stars of the Pleiades together in their symmetry and not have a single one escape? Only I have this ability! Can you prevent the runaways — Arcturus and his sons — from colliding as they go sprinting out of the Milky Way? No, but I……AM…..!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
It's just funny how he embraces the bible, like there were no other older documents more accurate than the bible.

The bible is a copy (the old testament and most likely as history book, not a religious one) of other older books, like the Sumerian Tablets.

Now, the bible doesn't speak about the Asians and the Mayan, does that mean that they didn't know anything. The Mayan worshiped other Gods, does that mean they are wrong?

Your God should be Gods, in plural, since the original word for God was Elohim/Alohim, which meant the Gods. Some where along the line, probably Constantine, not sure, decided that there was only ONE God and that Christianity was the right religion because he saw a cross in the sky (a cross, something that has NOTHING to do with Christianity or religion once so ever) and God spoke to him, giving, in the process, christianity the upper hand. Now we have different versions of the bible, which have been adjusted to fit the religion.

Of course, we have other cultures with their respective religions and bibles (bible only means a group of book put together for religious purpose) but since they don't have THE BIBLE, their religion and believes are wrong and myths, right?

So, are scientist afraid of the bible? YES... I know I am, because the bible has been killing, manipulating, controlling and holding people back to reach their true potential.

[edit on 10/10/2008 by thegrayone]

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   

So redhatty, you are denying my post...and all these astronomical scientists/experts' point of view quoted here.....below? in BOLD

No, the scientists are only speaking of the stars and constellations. I am denying the premise that the book of Job ever referred to the stars/constellations that they have now been revised to refer to.

No one know for sure what the hebrew words were referring to, the translation of them has been changed from the meaning of the actual word to the meaning that makes sense to the translators (and their agenda)

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
When will you people realize that no matter how much proven, factual evidence, you bring to the table about the non-existence of god and the fact that christianity as a whole is just a big sham, it still remains that this moron will keep replying with pointless arguements, over and over, till his stupidity finally wears you out. Give up the fight now, cause you will never win.

king9072

"....you people...?"

I am on line too!!! Who are you talking to....?

I am going to count to 10 and go to sleep...

OT

Proverbs 14:12 says, "There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death."

I am praying that you have time to learn this...

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegrayone
It's just funny how he embraces the bible, like there were no other older documents more accurate than the bible.

The bible is a copy (the old testament and most likely as history book, not a religious one) of other older books, like the Sumerian Tablets.

Now, the bible doesn't speak about the Asians and the Mayan, does that mean that they didn't know anything. The Mayan worshiped other Gods, does that mean they are wrong?

Your God should be Gods, in plural, since the original word for God was Elohim/Alohim, which meant the Gods. Some where along the line, probably Constantine, not sure, decided that there was only ONE God and that Christianity was the right religion because he saw a cross in the sky (a cross, something that has NOTHING to do with Christianity or religion once so ever) and God spoke to him, giving, in the process, christianity the upper hand. Now we have different versions of the bible, which have been adjusted to fit the religion.

Of course, we have other cultures with their respective religions and bibles (bible only means a group of book put together for religious purpose) but since they don't have THE BIBLE, their religion and believes are wrong and myths, right?

So, are scientist afraid of the bible? YES... I know I am, because the bible has been killing, manipulating, controlling and holding people back to reach their true potential.

[edit on 10/10/2008 by thegrayone]

"...it's funny how HE....."

He? Who are you addressing? It's easier to ignore the truth, huh? Yes, my title is true, in your case...sadly!

I'm online, you guys should stop U2U-ing one another and gang up on the believer...there are forces greater than us all here...better settle bro!

OT

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

No....some referred to Job...ignoring ,will in the end, only hurt you....

Good night!!!

OT out

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   

No....some referred to Job...ignoring ,will in the end, only hurt you....

Good night!!!

OT out

Not some, ONE that you referenced

Mr. Burckhalter said, “The study of the Book of Job and its comparison with the latest scientific discoveries has brought me to the matured conviction that the Bible is an inspired book and was written by the One who made the stars!”

And that is a personal opinion being expressed not a scientific finding

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Man, you are funny!

ASSuming that we are u2uing eachother, that just makes you look desperate.

The truth about what? Because the truth is what I said.
It doesn't matter what I say you would have a pathetic excuse for it.

If your God exist, then your God is Evil, diabolic, racist,prejudiced, unjust and contradicts himself in every corner. So... I am very glad that I don't believe in him.

Of course, you didn't even touch the essential of my comment. Just the 'He' part , and that he would be YOU. ok, maybe you are a she but in any case... good luck with you Elohim!

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Why was my post removed? It was even quoted, and doesn't seem too far out. Thats pretty ridiculous. How can a moderator of this forum, see what this thread is and not understand my point?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers. He stretches out the heavens like a canopy, and spreads them out like a tent to live in. - Isaiah 40:22

This is what God the Lord says — he who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and all that comes out of it.

I’m sorry but what...........................?

So you’re saying heaven is outer-space?

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

God reaching to man?

Yeah right!!!

Look, you don't need a bible or a Christian religion or an Islamic one to be a good, gentile, loving & Kind person.

All that time People spend in a church grovelling on their knees to a god & worshiping it's name, is totally pointless.

The time you spend doing that, could be better spent actually doing something that will make a difference.

Instead of sitting in a church praying for a miricle in hard times, why don't they get up off their fat arses & make the miricle happen themslves.

How can God reach out to people who read the words written by men. Plain men like you and me.

God only reaches out to those whom help themselves & others. Who take action and get things done. God won't reach out to a bunch of losers who want to sit there in a church & beg God to do it for them...!

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by thegrayone

You understand nothing of God. Your knowledge of the bible is near non-existant (or you deliberately ignore what is says). You are entitled to your opinion but I have a feeling you will wish you had paid a lot more attention to what the bible says soon enough.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join