It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama The Sexist: You Can Put Lipstick On A Pig

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I found it interesting that he followed the pig/lipstick expression with one about old fish. (Palin being the pig, and McCain being the old fish) You can explain one, but 2? Maybe he felt that in this Palin heavy week the only way they could get their message across would be to say comments that could be taken as Palin insults?

The same day Biden said:

(COLUMBIA, MO.) - Was Joe Biden referring to Sarah Palin, a mother of a child with Down syndrome, when he made this comment?
“I hear all this talk about how the Republicans are going to work in dealing with parents who have both the joy, because there's joy to it as well, the joy and the difficulty of raising a child who has a developmental disability, who were born with a birth defect. Well guess what folks? If you care about it, why don't you support stem cell research?”

Again, another comment that could be taken as a Palin diss. Is this all just a coincidence? Or is it an experiment by the Obama camp? Maybe they felt that this week anything that they said wouldn't be covered unless if it was about Palin.

The media is talking about both of those:

Obama Says McCain Is Offering Fake Change: 'You Can Put Lipstick on a Pig, But It's Still a Pig':
blogs.abcnews.com...

Was Biden Talking About Palin During Stem Cell Research Reference?:
www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
"You know, you can put lipstick on a pig," Obama said, "but it's still a pig."

Wow

Even if Obama didn't mean to call Palin a pig and meant no sexism (which i doubt), what he said sounds too much of a response to what Palin said about the difference between hockey mom's and pit bulls.

Pig + lipstick oh wow.....

It is gonna be assumed by the American people from the independent voters that this is a direct and insulting shot form a MAN going after a WOMAN.

Anyone with half a brain also knows that if a republican said this, there would be screams of sexism all over the place, even if (yea right) it isn't in a sexist context. I wonder how much the media is gonna cover for this.....

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

My God, it's becoming impossible to have intellectually honest discourse these days. Jet, Jamie, put your "We want 4 more years of the same!" posters down long enough to level with yourselves.

1. Obama's used the VERY COMMON analogy before, in other speeches, in other settings, long before this election and long before Palin. It's something he says.
  2. McCain himself has used the analogy. It's very common in Washington, as it is in many other professional industries.

I look forward to your posts criticizing Palin's, McCain's, Hannitys, or [InsertFavoriteRightWingNutJobHere]'s constant disparaging of community servants and organizers, or do you openly wear your bias on your sleeves, thereby totally invalidating (or as I like to call it "Hannitizing") the credibility out of your arguments?

And before you fire away with your usual response, let me disarm you of it: I am not for Obama. I just continue to be amused at how blatantly illogical and ridiculous you are willing to stoop your arguments.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

It's absolutely true... call it whatever you want, Obama... plays the game he absolutely communicates non verbally very well, he makes insuts that some of his audience is ment to hear and another part of his audience won't

You could go line by line all you want, it's a very difficult thing to explain "diss" was the best word I can think of...

AND, i'm not going to break it down to black and white or street or anything else.

lets just call it "street wise" because if I go back home, plenty of the Italian and Russian people can do it too... "non verbal communication" "infering things between the lines"

He does it..all the time and no, i'm not going to go through his vids and pin point every time he makes his "whatever" face or anything else

And it wasn't an insult and I DON'T think it's just because he is Black and White... he just is sharp like that, he's not a traditional politician, he has a way of saying things that some people pick up and others don't

In fact, this whole thread ios a testimony to it, it wouldn't be here and this debate wouldn't be here if he couldn't do it

Barack Obama id a great communicator and it goes beyond making great speeches in tarditional American style, he knows how to speak alot of differnt ways,

if you don't get what i'm saying I'll say it Raw (and I mean this from a cultural perspective)

Your either so White it escapes you

Or so Black your going to just "Diss" me and pretend i'm out of line and it's not real

And oh...no, I could care less if there is newer slang than there was 10 years ago, I find avoiding it keeps me out of trouble

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wutone

Wutone, Republicans will think it is an attack on Palin. The rational-thinking American people as a whole will not.

You are right, though, that if the shoe was on the other foot (uhoh... ANALOGY!!! I must be covertly referring to Palin's big feet because she wore heels during her speech!!!)
Dems would be doing the same thing.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by tommy_boy

1. Obama's used the VERY COMMON analogy before, in other speeches, in other settings, long before this election and long before Palin. It's something he says.
  2. McCain himself has used the analogy. It's very common in Washington, as it is in many other professional industries.

After the week of, what the American people thought of, were cheap attacks on Palin and her family, it really doesn't matter if for some remote reason you are right about this.

This is gonna be seen as sexism, and rightly so. This is gonna be seen as ANOTHER cheap and dirty attack on Palin.

Partisan supporters might be in denial about this but the independent voters will take this a bit different.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
On the news tonight I heard what Obama claimed to be a joke, something about putting lipstick on a pig. I was really disappointed in him because it was obvious it was meant for Sarah Palin. That was a reckless thing to do. Most people are now talking about Palin and how she is a breathe of fresh air. I am so tired of people putting her down and picking on her family. What the media did to her young daughter was disgraceful. Instead of criticizing Palin's daughter, we should applaud her for the strength and courage it took for her to show up at the RNC to show her support and love for her mother. No one picks on Obama's running mate. Joe Biden son who quit his job as a lobbyist so he wouldn't hurt his dad's bid for VP or the fact the Biden's son along with Biden's brother is being sued for defrauding investors of millions in hedge fund deals. Why doesn't the media drag Biden and his family through the mud the way they do the Palin's. She's got my vote and anyone else I can convince in the next few days. Let's talk about Obama's unwed mother for a change!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutone
This is gonna be seen as sexism, and rightly so.

Rightly so??!!? That's where you lost me. As a strategy, Palin is gold to the Repubs because now, everyone's talking about "poor Sarah, they're attacking her!" and the heat is off the discussion of real issues, which is where McCain will lose because he is forevermore linked to Bush and the past 8 years. In what way is this a good thing? I expect the Dems to beat the crap out of her just as badly as I expect the Repubs to beat the crap out of Biden, only for different reasons.

And if Biden doesn't wipe the floor with her in the first debate, then the Dems deserve to lose in November. She has no national exposure, and we have no clue how she will handle herself unscripted on the national stage. Debating for Mayor of Wasilla or even Governor of Alaska (not California, not Arizona.... ALASKA) is a farcry from what's coming these next few months.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by wutone
Partisan supporters might be in denial about this but the independent voters will take this a bit different.

Truly independent voters, being fully informed, will realize that connecting frequently used Obama analogy to a Palin speech is juvenile and partisan.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lee anoma

and honestly... I don't even know how to say it, and really don't wish to make it sound like a Black White generalization, even if it applies much of the time...

Every one knows some cultures communicate more with non verbal cues that others..high context, low context, body language, tone inflection, people hear and see different things

I had no insult to the guy on this topic

and if it comes out wrong, well it's a hard thing to say and say in a way in a pc world that doesn't sound wrong.

But the guy communicates to multiple audiences at one time in different ways, it's a compliment (I don't Trust that!) But it's a compliment

He absolutely can make do what he did... assault palin in a way one group of people hears it and another group that may be offended misses it entirely among his supporters

He values this " I can talk to Iran"

He knows... everything from...not to put his feet up because it's an insult to how to pronouce his words with the righ acent

What he knows he is good at he really is

It's also why some people and I'd be one of them don't fully trust him because i'm not half bad at it and...you tend to manipulate when you can do it, s I think he says, what people want to hear and I don't think it is malice, but I do think it's a negative quality to some people.

But how any one can deny that Barack Obama... can speak many ways to many people goes beyond me

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by tommy_boy

And yet Obama likes saying things that can easily be taken the wrong way,

“You can wrap an old fish in a piece of paper called ‘change,’ it’s still going to stink,” Obama said. “After eight years, we’ve had enough of the same old thing. It’s time to bring about real change to Washington and that’s the choice you’ve got in this election.”

This in the same "pig" speech.

Old fish eh? That can easily be taken as a shot at McCain's age.

So there is a pig with lipstick and an OLD fish.

I think the independent voters can catch on to the immaturity that is the Obama campaign.

If Obama wanted to attack issues, I doubt he needs to insert old fish and pig into the dialogue.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by wutone]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Let's assume that Obama is guilty of using this analogy to make a connection to Gov. Palin.

Can anybody explain to me how this is sexist?

Last time I checked, likening someone to a pig may be childish, but sexist?

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Have we gotten to the point in American politics where the "right" is more sensitive than the left? Really? The Limbaugh, Savage crowd is crying "oh boo hoo Obama said something mean about our pretty Veep candidate". Pathetic. I think you guys are getting a little too P.C.

If you really think this was directed at Palin you are beyond reaching through words. Obama and McCain both have used this expression on the campaign trail in the last year. Obama in relation to Bush's Iraq policy and McCain in relation to Hillary's run for the nomination. So I guess if you are going to take umbrage at Obama's remark you must go back and retroactively take umbrage at McCain's if not you are (yet again!) being disingenuous, relying on the politics of gotcha and personal destruction (which makes sense since McCain/Palin has NO platform to argue for other than DRILL BABY DRILL).

[edit on 10-9-2008 by observer]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bknapple32
reply to post by Alxandro

It was not at all directed at Palin. Can you not understand what the expression means? It has nothing to do with male/female!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me break it down for ya...

The pig is ugly

The lipstick can make be considered make up, which makes people more attractive( usually)

Lipstick on a pig will still not take away from the fact that the pig is ugly (if you think pigs are ugly that is)

Get it??????

Pigs aren't ugly, the haters are. All you haters out there the pigs are coming for you!!

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I wonder how many women are gouing to be up in arms about this major gaffe.

I imagine his comments will come back to haunt him at election time. Every sexist remark he makes loses him thousands of votes, both male and female in my opinion. I expect a public apology will be forthcoming.

[edit on 10-9-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I'm getting in on this a little late but it wasn't an attack on Palin. Espeecially when taken in context. He was saying McCains policies are just like Bushs yet McCain is trying to market himself as change. Change is the lipstick on Bush the pig.

Out of context its an often sexist and very vulgar comment.

Even in context it's pretty vulgar. A very poor choice for Obama.

Another thing I noticed in that little speech of his is that he is tired. Very, very tired. He mumbles and stumbles and covers his face and seems to be using more and more "uh's" "ah's" and "um's." He's also using this sort of "ghetto" inflection in some of his words. He sounds more like a charlatan preacher now than a politician. I know, there's a very fine line.

But no, it wasn't an attack on Palin. What's Buchanan always say? It's not what you say but what they hear? I think even Obamas crowd there heard an attack on Palin but that's probably because they wanted to hear an atack on Palin.

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by observer
If you really thing this was directed at Palin you are beyond reaching through words. Obama and McCain both have used this expression on the campaign trail in the last year. Obama in relation to Bush's Iraq policy and McCain in relation to Hillary's run for the nomination. So I guess if you are going to take umbrage at Obama's remark you must go back and retroactively take umbrage at McCain's if not you are (yet again!) being disingenuous, relying on the politics of gotcha and personal destruction (which makes sense since McCain/Palin has NO platform to argue for other than DRILL BABY DRILL).

If you really think it wasn't directed at Palin you are beyond reaching through words. The whole event was staged to make Palin look like an evil pig.

Hogs were a theme of Obama’s town hall. Later in the event, while discussing the No Child Left Behind policy that puts stress on teachers to test students, he made another swine reference. “There’s a saying in Southern Illinois that you don’t fatten a hog by weighing it. You can weigh it everyday, that’s not how you fatten it up,” Obama said.

People say the one pig reference was innocent but when he makes the entire town hall theme about hogs you have to really wonder...

Did he really make an innocent remark about pigs and lipstick or is his true Muslim faith coming to light? Is he making a connection to Palin, pigs and his Muslim faith? I think that is what the women of this country are going to say.

I asked the 5 women in my office that follow politics to watch that video and they all said he went way over the line. Four of them were leaning Obama and now they are unsure what to think. I think he did a lot more damage than people on the left think. 5 out of 5 in my office say it was way out of line but we are supposed to believe it was an innocent remark? We will let the American women decide this one...

posted on Sep, 10 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Heavy damage control this morning on the MSNBC front. Their morning show anchor actually said McCain is using "reverse sexism" and being sexist towards Obama the man.

What a joke.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join