It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we all going to die next Wednesday?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
OMG it's going to transform into a giant man eating robot and kill all the men and enslave the women for horrible horrible tasks like pouring margaritas WHILE ON FIRE!

... No. It's not going to do that. And it's certainly not going to cause some form of disastrous anomaly that will destroy earth. It's a collider for crying out loud, it barely has enough energy to let the effects of the collision be seen, let alone cause some kind of catastrophic disaster.

Here's a hair-brained way to look at it...
Next Wednesday will never be here.
Cause once you hit Wednesday, next Wednesday is still a week away.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venit
Is anyone else really looking forward to this? I mean having already read the pdf which debunks the risk of anything nasty happening
. Think of what we might know in the years following the LHC's activation.

I can hardly wait to see what comes of this experiment. I've said before that I think we will find out things we never imagined we would find and the results could radically change our ways of thinking, I hope so anyway. The LHC is a truth machine and although there are other LHC's this one is the King Kong of them, it's powerful enough to give results (Higgs Boson particle has never been found in any of the other smaller LHC's)

So come on and show yourself you little God particle you!!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

LOL, a lot of sense. The actual collision will be about the same as a fly hitting a freight train head on, the reason it will be so powerful on a small scale is that the mass is so small and the collision will be center of mass.

If people cant be bothered to check my links here is a little info about black holes.
IF any black holes are created then they will decay as fast as they are made.
They wont be able to attain any mass at the LHC even if it were possible as the LHC experiments are done in total vacum thus there will be nothing for the black hole to "swallow" to grow.
Even if the first 2 suggestions are bypassed the black hole would fall through the earth out the other side a fall millions of miles through space before growing at all ( negative energy)
If all the above dont happen (very unlikely something like 3x10 to the power of 12) Then the black hole would fall to the center of the earth where it would slowly grow and we MAY notice its effects in around 5billion years time when all life on eath will be gone due to our own star dying.

How can this be? for this theory to pan out it would mean that there would be no dwarf stars in the universe due to tha fact that super novas hit them all the time (this is a greater powered collision than anywhere near the LHC could ever get near) so the black holes would have sucked them up too, and considering that there are dwarf stars about older than 5billion years I think we would all be long gone IF ever this theory could work. And that is putting a minimum time scale of 5billion years as dwarf stars have a greater mass the black hole could grow much faster.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Corum

I can only hope they do find the higgs boson but I doubt it. I keep thinking about it but the more I think about it the more I doubt it, we can just keep out fingers crossed. I think it will be like on the quantum physics area it will not be seen whilst being observed.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The Daily Mail always has headlines like this. Combined with the The Daily Depress (Express), they constantly strive to have Britons as fearful as they can. Mortgage rates, tax, Princess Diana, global warming, nuclear meltdown, Princess Diana....

They constantly cash in on fear, and the public.

The LHC is a step forward in my book. It has scary possibilities, granted, but I think that there are other equally dangerous things happening without our knowledge. That's the way the world has always worked.

It's just another one.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
nothing is happening until 12-21-2012. dont worry plenty of time to "prepare"

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Sorry everybody, but i have a 'let it burn thing' going on at the moment so i am disinterested in winking out of existence as existence is pretty crap at the moment.

That said i seem to remember the great John Titor claiming that CERN led the way towards Mini Blackholes and time travel.

Worth considering

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
Well i gues i got to fallow the masses and say that this is all going to go Okay. The masses are always right

But what do we say IF it dont go the right way ehm
Just hope no one gets hurt ???

They are trying to produse like 40 billion smal Bigbangs a second. Hope it dosent end up in a huge big one

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

Two universes for the price of one? There goes inflatory theory!

-rrr

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
The end of mankind is infinitely better than the end of the world!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Great. Another week, another "Are we going to die next week? Please tell me yes. Pretty please.".

So, honestly I'd like to ask: WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE????????????

If you want to die, I guess there must be a nice bridge / tall building somewhere in your area. Don't wait the next week. Jump now.

Oh, and before someone would come, I HAD A VISION AND IT WAS A SIGN FROM GOD! I tell you, it's just a sign to get a nice white jacket and a small comfortable room with great view in one of the asylum.

Endtimers... yuck!

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Sheridan]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I look at it like this.

When almost any machine is turned on there is a chance of injury or death to someone. The blades in your blender could fly off and strike you in the face while you're peering into your margarita-to-be, so we have to admit that just because someone might die if the LHC is allowed to operate, that is insufficient cause to worry.

When the number of fatalities rises, we have cause for concern. However, even though we don't like it, we manage to live with and love our automobiles, even though hundreds and hundreds of thousands have died in accidents since their introduction.

We even allow breweries and distilleries to operate, even though about half of all automobile accidents are attributable to alcohol, not to mention the numbers who die because of alcohol related illnesses.

We begin to draw the line when the numbers are large enough and the time-frame is short enough, say in the case of nuclear or chemical weapons. The idea that a million people could die in an instant scares almost everyone to one degree or another and indeed, that fear was the basis of Cold War strategy for half a century, roughly.

But, in the case of the LHC, we aren't talking about one person in an instant or hundreds of thousands over a century or millions in the blink of an eye. We're talking about everything and everyone on the planet and maybe beyond.

In this case, we really have nothing to lose. Someone flips a switch and maybe everything works as planned or everything disappears in an instant--no pain, no grief, no mess.

We literally have everything to gain and nothing at all to lose.

I say, "Let 'er rip!"

[edit on 2008/9/4 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The clock's ticking for us all, so who really cares if we go out with a bang?

Flick that switch, nerds! Do us all in, or give us some new theories to toy around with.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Yeah, but these scaremonger endtimers are intending to bring the midnight to closer week by week then as it's in the reality. Plus, what happen if it's really happen? Can you do anything against it? No. So? Who cares about it. Live your life, be with your family and enjoy life itself.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Flick that switch, nerds! Do us all in, or give us some new theories to toy around with.

I care.

Like the other guy said, if you wanna give up on humanity and die, go ahead and kill yourself.(No don't do it! lol) Others want to live and think positively, that's the only way humanity can actually have a "good" future.

If everyone loses faith in humanity, it will become a reality, but if everyone thinks positively and has faith in humanity, we will have a brighter future.

So here's hoping that something positive comes out of this experiment.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
if the world ends i dont care were all goin with it lol

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
It can't happen. I have a dental appointment on Wednesday.
The sky is falling said chicken little. If life is so bad for some of you who always dream of something going to happen then you might as well end it now so that you don't have to suffer to see it happening.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ice1300

it says th e world will change as we know it as we know can mean a million and one things. Me personaly the ufo sittings will go up and the secret the government has been keeping all these years will come back and bite them in the ass!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Like the other guy said, if you wanna give up on humanity and die, go ahead and kill yourself.(No don't do it! lol) Others want to live and think positively, that's the only way humanity can actually have a "good" future.

News Flash: Humanity is already screwed. We're a dying race on this planet. When people are buried alive for choosing their own husbands, we're screwed. When people bake babies in microwave ovens, we're screwed. When people stand by and watch for a couple of hours while someone with a knife mutilates a person on a bus, we're screwed. I could go on...

By performing these experiements, maybe we'll find out some ways to learn new propulsion techniques or at least discover untapped energies? Who knows? I don't.

As soon as we can get off this rock and migrate to other planets, we've got more chance of saving humanity.

Flick the switch and learn. Who cares if it goes bad, as we're on the path to doom right now, without doing anything.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Your looking at the world from a 1 sided view. There is always a balance.

It seems you've been watching too much news.

Go out and have some fresh air.

Humanity has ALWAYS been like this, bad, crazy people and good people.

The technology in our world is changing, it is giving us changes and power we have never seen before, this is a time to focus on the good things, this is the time to make our future good.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
The first beam on the 10th is only in one direction. Meaning there will be NO proton collisions.

LHC commissioning with beam 6-8 weeks still to go before a collision test.

Now for some reality, so put down the bong and read up:

REPORT RULES OUT SUBATOMIC DOOMSDAY

"Nature has already generated on Earth as many collisions as about a million LHC experiments – and the planet still exists," CERN said in its lay-language summary of the report. "Astronomers observe an enormous number of larger astronomical bodies throughout the universe, all of which are also struck by cosmic rays. The universe as a whole conducts more than 10 million million LHC-like experiments per second. The possibility of any dangerous consequences contradicts what astronomers see - stars and galaxies still exist."

Doomsday canceled, (fill in the appropriate word) !

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Regenmacher]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join