It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we all going to die next Wednesday?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Hey, honestly I can't say that I am worried about it. This person (me) who never gets sick woke up sick this morning, and I am not going to worry about Wednesday today. I just don't feel up to it. I have other things to take care of.

I mean really, people worry about the silliest stuff. But why not look at the good side to it. If existence stops and ton of other problems will stop as well. No more poverty, homelessness, wage wars, racism, no more Jerry Springer, or Oprah. The religious wars would be done, no more crime, no more having to get your hair cut, or buying Prada to try and look good.

For me it would be no more rent worries, or can I afford a better computer whatever, and I wouldn't miss any of the new movies anymore. It would answer to all of us whether there is a heaven or hell. Those who believe they are going to heaven shouldn't be scared at all, not one bit.

For those who don't, and I am not gonna do the scientific explaining, but we are living in a black hole already. Really it's not that bad.

But to get back on track, have you ever thought about this whole sub-atomic particle smashing thing. We smash them all the time, in one way or another. Every particle, or atom, or cell, that is ruined by us has gone through it. It is a silly concept, and a great way for a bunch of guys to spend more of the money that none of us have. To worry if that will end the world on Wednesday is a waste of time.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Remember what happened when Man tried to Reach God?
The Tower of Babel?
I wonder what God has up His sleeve for Us, now that we're trying to BE Gods (By recreating the Big Bang)...

...Ewwwww, someone's in BIG trouble, big trouble...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

I wonder what God has up His sleeve for Us, now that we're trying to BE Gods

The ultimate goal has always been to be "Godlike", whether it is medicine or science, whether people want to admit it or not.

I want to know how God created this world. I am not interested in this or that phenomenon, in the spectrum of this or that element. I want to know His thoughts; the rest are details.

-Albert Einstein

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

Lol. Yeah. I acutally have seen that, I worked on DOE jobs and was assigned one time to work directly with some scientists who needed some very simple things done. Of course it took me about an hour of discussion with them to figure out that what they wanted was something stunningly simple, because their scribbles on paper were pretty elaborate.

Point taken. I do think that all the disciplines are pretty interdependent, however annoying we may find each others styles now and then.

Edit to add;

More directly on topic. I am excited about the LHC going on. I have no idea what it will do, it could be tragic, it could be something more interesting. I am sure many of you must have heard of the "Year Zero" speculation, which states that perhaps the LHC may enable time travel from the future to this point in time. I know it is a stretch, but THAT would be pretty cool.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jehova620
The way i feel today, who cares.

But hey, at least we all go together.

So sorry about what you're going through, but I care. Not so much about your inherently temporary emotions, but rather, my own life.

You must be the jealous, resentful, petty "jehova"[sic].

Life contains much suffering. No way around it, except one. No need to drag us all down with you.

Buck up, camper. Someone loves you.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
If you don't want to poo yourself about the possible outcome of things going terribly wrong, don't read this.

Am I correct in saying that as you approach the event horizon, that even time itself begins to become distorted and slow down? (I'm hopeing that the theory of time being a myth is true) Anyway, please someone tell me im wrong.

Wouldn't this mean that if a black hole were to open up that as we approach the centre of the blackhole, our existence would become a never ending enternity? (locked in syndrome for all eternity)

Also, if these tiny blackholes were to appear they wouldn't suddenly just suck everything in in minutes, it could take years/decades, while the blackhole moves itself to the centre of the planet and begins devouring the planet from the inside out. We literally wouldn't even know there was a problem until Earth quakes began, and even then we'd only have minutes to try and figure out what is happening before being swallowed up.

So if the experiment proves a success we wouldn't whether or not the LHC has spawned a nasty blackhole at the centre of our planet.

Anyway, thats whats been freaking me out about the idea, not the thought of dieing - just the thought of being stuck in purgatory

Anyway, I HOPE that there are alien species in existence and HOPE that these UFO contactees are not talking BS so we atleast know that if we're playing with a loaded gun, they'll stop us.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ice1300

people die everyday so next wednesday will be no different.no doubt enough of us will survive money wasting experiments to carry on reproducing ourselves with more geniuses that like to waste taxpayers money.
if they wan't to solve a mystery why don't they figure out why electrons spin around a nucleus of an atom and yet haven't stopped spinning yet after 15 billion? years.
here you see in the atom apparent perpetual motion which defies our know laws of physics.where does the energy come from that makes the electrons keep moving?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Well they say it could also produce a vacuum bubble that in effect would do the opisite of a black hole.

Now if we could form and combine the 2 of them at exactly the same moment we could have the black hole pull the vacuum bubble in and the vacuum bubble hold the black hole at bay by forcing itself out. Each one containing the other.

Of course if the vacuum bubble was formed even a nano second before the black hole in theory the entire universe would be destroyed.

All of this is of course assuming that the black hole and this vacuum bubble do what we have therorized they do.

My guess is they will just bounce off each other or fuse to form larger particles.

But I would put money down that the machine actually breaks down before they can speed up the particles over the next year.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

I disagree. in respect to this article. go and read it. I read about this a while back in a respectable welsh paper (the guy pioneering this stuff is from south wales). It`s a decent article if you care to actualy read it.
It raises questions along with answers. anyone who has read this or researched it will understand. Could prove or disprove a lot of theories.
It cost 4billion (I Think).
Raises the question should we even be spending such amounts on creating black holes and "a mini universes" ?
Is this the "God Machine" ? Can answer questions to the universe and life itself. Are we becoming God?
LOL amature Gods, Maybe?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Ya know that this kind of experiment has probably been done before in secret research facilities - its only now that the civilian population can have a go.

Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

Ummm, no, not this one.

The massive complex required to perform this experiment spans the distance of a few towns here... I'm quite sure even the best funded experiment would find it impossible to hide the ring. We would have found it.

And the government really isn't THAT far ahead of civilian research.

I was involved with constructing the equipment for the new cyber defense center in Estonia. Something intended to defend against the best electronic attacks other countries can dish out... and the technology behind it was amazingly simple. Something we've been using for some time now in the civilian sectors.

If the governments were so advanced, you'd think their countermeasures against each other would be equally advanced. They're no stretch of the imagination by any means. Same technology we have, just used a different way.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I found this video on you tube. Now it sounds like the people at CERN want this to be a time machine. Time Machine

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Wait jumped the gun on that last post.

Just finished the last part of the video and what they are saying is that they can recreate conditions similar to what existed in the big bang. (I think)

time machine part 2

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
When do they perform the final injection? As i understand it, The september 10th injection is the first of five right?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I am glad to see more light hearted replys to this. There is nothing to worry about. First things first the only thing that is going to happen on wednesday is a full circle completion of a particle beam, NO collisions will even be attempted till the end of the year maybe even next.
What they are doinf at the LHC is nothing different that happens in nature everyday, Just at the LHC they will be able to see what happens.
If you are still worried then do some real research, not just a google search that will turn up hundreds of fear sites that will ask for money to fund the court battle, but some real sites with people with credentials are. Even people with a basic understanding of physics will know that there is nothing to be worried about. I urge anybody that is still worried to visit these links that I provide and get some real insight into whats going on at the LHC.

Read this if you are worried about the LHC creating black holes.

This is about 1 hour long but is very much worth it

If you are concerned about anything going on at the LHC I urge you to visit the links.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I do not think we are all going to die.

The chance is very small - we'll be posting on ATS next Thursday
This is an interesting thread though, the discovers made by this machine are going to be very significant (that's if it is successful.)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matt.Trakker
When do they perform the final injection? As i understand it, The september 10th injection is the first of five right?

I think its a low-power startup, the real big one is coming next year - thats why Cern hasn't been told to call a halt to the experiment as its not the most significant of tests compared to the later ones.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

I cannot understand why people get nervouse and skepticle, These test have been going on for years, they were done by the russians in RHICC (ok there HC was alot smaller than the one cern has)who have handed over all there infomation that they found to cern. The only major difference was that the Russians did not report there results to the public.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Personally I think I will have the first annual the world is going to end on Wednesday party.
Not because I think the world is going to end on Wednesday Sept. 10. But because I am now convinced that the world will eventually end and in might be on a Wednesday.
SOOOOOOOOO lets party like its 1999!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join