It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we all going to die next Wednesday?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Nothing is going to happen, nothing ever does. Relax.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Technically speaking, SOMEthing always happens. Nothing never happens.

It is just unlikely to be a bad something this time.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ice1300

I still think there is a risk of sabotage. Some evil doer could turn off or reduce the vacuum field, then the collider could be spilling little black holes all over the place. One of them could last long enough to attract matter.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

OK, so doomsday is canceled (for now).

I still say we party like its 1999 an Wednesday Sept 10. Like I said now I am 100% convinced that the world will end someday and it could very possibly be on a Wednesday. So lets live it up on every Wednesday from now on.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Thousands of eyes watched every move the operator scientists made in the LHC control room, during the final countdown..

At the same time billions of miles away another scientists non human eyes caught a quick flash on his screens.. he immediately ran different resolution scans to the same spot where he roughly witnessed the unexpected anomaly.
Not believing his eyes his fingers reached the buttons of the voice comm to the other operating rooms where the rest of scientific team was stationed..
"Sir, you won't believe this.. The whole 4th quadrant just disappeared!"

Logs of Unknown Events

[edit on 4-9-2008 by spacebot]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Actually I think they simply turning it on and testing it on Wednesday.I thought the actual experiment is not suppose to happen for another year or so.

[edit on 9/4/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I just hope it does not reverse the aging process and we would all devolve back into a gleam in our mothers eye. Can you imagine starting high school as a senior and going backwards, to a grade schooler who could not drive, then pre school, back into diapers, forgetting how to talk and walk.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
lol, all this universe ending stuff is hilarious because people don't even bother to check the facts. They arent smashing anything yet on the 10th so NOTHING will happen. All they are doing on the 10th is the first attempt to circulate a beam in the collider and nothing more! No world ending, no ripping apart the cosmos, enough with the cern bashing and on with the progress of science. :0

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jim Scott
Nothing is going to happen, nothing ever does. Relax.

Haha, there isn't an age old adage "when you least expect it" for nothing.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Does anyone recall the scene from the movie 'Contact' where the stargate machine is destroyed by the religious zealot?

The LHC is an equally gargantuan, expensive, and intimidating apparatus. If anyone on the inside is fearful enough of what it might do, something similar could happen before or during the powering up phase on Sept. 10.

If a similar terrorist act did take place, rest assured the terrorists would feel that they were saving the world from obliteration. Sadly, such an act of terrorism (or sabotage) could be the very thing that seals the fate of mankind.

Given the cost of the LHC, and it's capability, security I imagine will be unbelievably tight. Also, I'm pretty sure there's not a backup LHC in case something happened to the Geneva site.

Instead of worrying about a malfunction or unforeseen catastrophic results, we might need to be more concerned about prior tampering.

[edit on 4/9/08 by Evasius]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I would hope that the Security is very tight.
On the Cern web site it has a link for the press and how to get press credentials for the start up. Hopefully they have a very tight screening process.

Bob “Hello CERN this is Bob and I am calling from the nut job news and would like a press pass”

Cern “ok Bob here you go”

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The source article is the daily mail, that says enough i think. I saw a similar article in the sun which was so biased i was shocked. The tabloids are not a good place to get your science news.

Quite simply the chances of anything terrible happening are miniscule. Lets take the tiny risk, roll the dice and see what we discover. Why people are so upset over this i will never understand. The first atomic bomb was scoffed by some scientists as they thought it would ignite the atmosphere!

Whilst many people may not see the importance of the possible discoveries from this experiment, it doesn't mean that they're not important. This could shape our idea of space and time, it could even mean the possibility of a unified theory!!! That's a little way off but this experiment could lay the foundations for it.

Turn it on, power it up and blast everything you can.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
I agree, more than likely nothing will happen on such a dramatic scale, but still..

we are playing around with something to advanced for us, id be scared if i were the one pushing the 'on' button.

I'd hardly say it's more advanced than us considering we actually know how to do it and already have a very reliable expectation as to what will occur...otherwise we wouldn't do it...

Why is humanity so caught up in it's own destruction? I don't get it.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
No. I don't think we are in any danger after reading up on the thing. Not a worry at all. This was all started by the idiots that fear this is going to lead to a new weapon. Hippy hogwash.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

(edit for crudeness)

[edit on 5-9-2008 by son of PC]

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by son of PC
reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

Look at how these well meaning morons have destroyed our economy (US). Every year they hand out Nobel prizes for economics like they are mint candy. Well. Let's trust them. The big shot noodle rama scientists one more time.

Scientists are far from big shots. Maybe you should read up on the average pay of a scientist. Economists disagree on pretty much everything and should be considered a very different category as market mechanisms are far from scientific.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
For the people in Haiti, "IT" has already happened. No food, no water and many stuck on roof tops for more than a day. For someone that has personally been involved in an "event", the situation can hit rather quick, leaving you completely on your own. By the time you realize your in trouble, you are too far into the situation to easily escape. Then all infrastructure disappears and your alone. Once I reached some form of safety, the people that did not experience the event were completely detached from what was happening. It was very difficult to motivate these people to help. This is what is happening all over the place. I see the current world with a different set of eyes.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jehova620
The way i feel today, who cares.

But hey, at least we all go together.

Sounds like something David Koresh would have said.

... Though Feb 28, 1993 was a Sunday.

Too answer the question:

"Are we all going too die next wednesday??"

In some ways I hope so, my work contract runs out then and I can't be bothered looking for another job.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
5 days to get your Crowbar and HEV Mark 4 ready

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Why is it that people who dare to think of negative consequences of tests like the L.H.C. are branded doomsayers? It is VERY possible that something horrible can happen with the L.H.C. test. Scientists aren't even sure what's gonna happen when they initiate the test, how will they know every possible outcome. Sure they assume everything is going to be safe, but is there any hard proof that nothing bad will happen? I think not, actually they are basing their assumption of safety off a theory. Theories have constantly been proven wrong, what's to say that this test is any different? Expect the unexpected, not expect the expected!

"Some say tragedy means it's over, but sometimes that tragedy means it's over"- Anonymous present-day musical artist

Don't forget that the particles created by the LHC already exists in space and have been bombarding the earth since its formation 4.5 billion years ago (6,500 years ago for the creationists!) and the earth is still here. The difference is the frequency of particles. "Natural" ones of the kind to be created in the LHC are of the order of 100,000 in 4.5 billion years. This is a little too infrequent for the scientists hence the LHC with particles to order BUT NO DIFFERENT to the 100,000 that have already "destroyed" the earth!!!!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join