It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we all going to die next Wednesday?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Another link with some good info.

www.universetoday.com...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ice1300
Another link with some good info.

www.universetoday.com...

Another link from that page gives a much more exciting theory behind the outcome of the LHC! We can but hope eh!

LHC Could Create Wormholes

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Isn't the thing going to run in stages thought... it won't be at full power when it is first used.

Also, this is not the first of its kind, there are other machines like this elsewhere. Theres one not that far from me, about 2 1/2 hours away. I'm not dead yet.

Fire that bitch up. Let er rip.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

FULL POWAH!!!

lol. Yeah, nothings gonna happen.

They're going to watch particles spin and dance for them on a screen, clap, maybe even cheer and shed a tear... but at the end of the day, the earth will still be there, you will still be alive, and the scientists will still be socially inept... err... hopeless romantics.

(What can I say, I'm an engineer, our types usually don't get along)

But, if the doom mongers predictions are correct...

Then at least we went out with a BANG.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I agree engineer. Heck those atoms might even do the funky chicken for them. But I remember the final words before the Columbia exploded. 'Go full up'.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Maybe we will get to find out whats inside a black hole.... in person!

Cowabunga!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Get a camera if we can catch those crazy little particles doing the Chicken dance we will have the newest you tube sensation.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ice1300

Here's Hydrogen from the perspective of the neutron.
www.youtube.com...

lol...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Possible doomsday device to be turned on and nobody screams staged armageddon?! ATS you disappoint me

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Is anyone else really looking forward to this? I mean having already read the pdf which debunks the risk of anything nasty happening
. Think of what we might know in the years following the LHC's activation..

And on the bright side, if anything does go wrong we won't know about it, by the time it takes the black hole to devour everything, we won't have had time to notice.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Venit

I look forward to ALL scientific advancements.

Especially the ones that prove to the scientists they should have left it up to the engineers.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
We won't learn anything at all from this.... nothing that matter anyway.

We will waste 10 billion or so just so that some priviliged scientists get their name in history on some "fact" that the average joe could care less about.

If this thing spun around and smashed the living shart out of medical diseases I would be impressed. But I could care less about knowing how our universe formed.

It just did. Maybe it was built in a bigger particle accelerator.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Excellent thread title - I just laughed while swallowing coffee and now I am wondering how a large regular just vanished into my keyboard...I am very happy I joined ATS, as this is the type of thing I like. Either a good political discussion, or a discussion how next Wednesday I am going to possiby die. Is it against decorum/forum rules to simply post an outlook calendar for the next three years with various armageddon prophecies on each day? When readers see a world ending scenario on a day that feels right, they can simply click the "accept meeting" button. I see chaos for those on that day as the alarm bell on their computer begins to ring and they look over wondering, "what the hell did I forget about this time?" and then realizing they have 15 minutes to live.

ColoradoJens

[edit on 4-9-2008 by ColoradoJens]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Maybe they will turn this thing on and it will be a giant worm hole that leads to other worlds. There will be teams called LHC1 and they will go through this “gate” and ….
Sorry I have got to stop watching the SiFi channel!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by airteck

LOL!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

Especially the ones that prove to the scientists they should have left it up to the engineers.

The same engineers that the tradespeople are forever having to correct with field changes when the magic plans dont work? Lol. No one group of people has all the answers.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
You would have better odds of hitting the lottery than the world ending on Wednesday.Just not going to happen....the worlds demise has been predicted god knows how many times in our history and it has never come true once...obviously.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ice1300

Get me Jack O'Neill! Stat!

Nah, it would take quite a bit of mass control to create a wormhole... this has nothing of the sort.

You know, I find it funny... when scientists get the funding, we get a new tiny piece of fact.

When engineers get the funding, electricity is invented, steam engines, gas engines, telephones... useful stuff.

Ah well... people place way too much expectations in scientists.

My pet peeve is when people call us engineers "scientists"... we are nothing of the sort!
Scientists have working knowledge of science... and boast about it.
Engineers have working knowledge of science... and DO something with it.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Dulcimer....you just HAD to go there didn't ya. That Stephen Hawking Simpsons split my sides. Those people just know they aren't right.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by johnsky

The same engineers that the tradespeople are forever having to correct with field changes when the magic plans dont work? Lol. No one group of people has all the answers.

Yeah, but imagine the hell the tradespeople would be in if scientists had scribbled those designs out.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join