It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoodies, hats banned from shops

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
IMO it's a respect thing that the kids today just are not grasping.

You don't walk into a shop, try and communicate with a damn mask covering your face, it's pig ignorant and rude! Religous costume i guess is the exception to that, but you can still understand why some would even frown upon that.

Note to bad boy hoodies....you're not in an LA gang, you don't even look cool! At a push, i'd say they look like a struggling fashion victim! Bandanas over the mouth....don't even get me started on that one!

You can't blame people for worrying when theres so much crime committed by hoodies, but a blanket ban is a bit bad i think.

I'm sat here typing this wearing a hoodie. I've also just finished doing the housework, cooking a meal for my little ones and am preparing to go down the school to collect them.....not go and mug someone!

I do however that if hoodies are to be banned, there should be some law passed about men wearing socks with open toed sandals and ill-fitting hairpieces. If ever there was a crime, that was it!!!

CX.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

What are you talking about?

Nice, don't answer my question why don't you. I'll ask it again: Why on earth did you think this was about a nightclub?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I'd gladly get cuffed over wearing a hood, cuz quite simply nobody is gonna tell me how to dress, especially when I go to the mall, common I gotta look half decent for the mall, and really who wears turtle neck sweatshirts, its all about the hoodie, jeeze

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:04 AM
link   
According to this Wired article, if it's CCTV that is the reason why some wear hoods-up all the time, then you could still hide your face from the pervasive all-seeing-eye of the camera whilst keeping the hood down...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
To the original poster..let me say that I agree with you 100%. I can't get overly excited about "hoodies and hats." AND YES I KNOW, "Some" crimes ARE committed by someone wearing these clothes..but to ban a type of clothing which is a fashion statement for our youth in a lot of areas, is nothing more than profiling.
Most all of the teens around here wear hoodies and hats. Are they criminals? No. It's a "culture" thing if you will. It's an expression of a "fashion" statement for many, and NO..of course, not all teens dress this way, and if you or I don't happen to agree with it, shouldn't make it a "bad thing." It's the ones who want to be a little "different", that dress outside of the, Accepted Code of Dress, and NO, I am fully aware many won't agree with it..but my point is, you don't HAVE TO agree, but just perhaps try to understand it.
Like it or not it's "who they are"...and they aren't you. They, like so many in the past, want an identity of their own. The ole' "Rebel Without A Cause" agenda, if you will. I've actually asked them WHY?...this look, and the answers I've gotten range from.."It's COOL" to "So and So wears it" to "I don't know, I just like how I look."
I believe they have a right to dress how they want. As long as they aren't hurting anyone, or being disruptive in public, what's the problem?

I'm not "into" tattoos, or piercings, BUT a lot of people are. It's "WHO" they are." Just because it's not for me, doesn't make it wrong. It's merely a different perspective. Are they "scary"..or "bad" because of their choices? No. Just an individual who expresses themselves in a manner that's different than who I am.

I'll be darned if I'm going to go around frightened of things that are outside of my lifestyle. Different. The "What ifs" are getting out of hand, and before you know it, you won't HAVE any choices left, because they'll all be made for you..."For Your Own Good." To keep you safe.....
I know what's good for me. I don't need someone making the decisions for me. Choices and freedom go hand in hand.
As someone once stated, "Freedom will come at a price, But that price should never become freedom itself.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by scientist

After a while, they all got smart, and just started wearing a plain, white t-shirt and blue jeans. Tha's it. So now, when a crime is committed, they are just as hard to identify since everyone is wearing the same exact outfit.

UTTER TWADDLE

you very conveniently left out the minor fact that witnesses can now see and identify thier face / hairstyle and that when they pass CCTV thier facial features are also identifiable

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

How can a public shopping centre enforce dress codes upon youths? What about youths who are with their parents and allowed some free time for an hour?

This police state mentality is a joke.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

shops are privately owned, they dont have to serve anyone they dont wish to. a shop is private property, and has protections.

and rightly so.

this is no police state, big brother is us, and a good thing, too.

we should all be the eyes, there should be no shadow where criminals can take refuge...

if someone murdered your loved ones, or stole your property, you would want them caught, and made to pay...

no?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spock Shock
I'd gladly get cuffed over wearing a hood, cuz quite simply nobody is gonna tell me how to dress, especially when I go to the mall, common I gotta look half decent for the mall, and really who wears turtle neck sweatshirts, its all about the hoodie, jeeze

the mall is private property, they can set the dress standards if they wish, who are you to tell what individuals can choose about who they allow on their own property?

no one will be cuffed for wearing a hoodie, simply not permitted to enter a private establishment.

are you using the spock avatar ironically?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
In Britain now you can't go anywhere wearing a hood or a hat. Of course, any religion other than the majority can do what they want.

But seriously, I like wearing hoodies with the hood up. It gives me a sense of being in my own world that I control, I'm not bending over and letting 'them' run my life. It makes me feel safer being in my own little bubble.
Then I get accused of being some scum who's going to mug little old ladies and rob sweets from the shop.

Quite the contrary, I'd rather help the same owd bids cross the road. But obviously wearing a hood means I'm lowest of the low, not to be trusted.
It even gets me more attention from the police.
In other news I have a ridiculous hairstyle that I like to cover sometimes, that a hat just doesn't quite manage...

But either way, its ridiculous. Theres even a certain right-wing paper in England (I believe its got something to do with Murdoch), that is calling for a complete outright ban on the sales of hooded tops.
Sheer bloody madness, I'll wear my hoody til the day the the people rise and do away with those who really run the world.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
You people moaning about a ban on hoodies are making me laugh.
When the real police state comes, you'll be the first to go.

I'm sick of people who cry about anything and everything that doesn't
fit into their cozy little utopias.

I have to follow certain rules? POLICE STATE!
I must behave in a civilized manner? POLICE STATE!

Tell you what...make a few million dollars, buy your own shopping mall,
and then run it as you see fit. Don't scream "police state" when a business
owner decides to lay down some rules because they don't want a bunch of
arrogant, disrespectful punks destroying (literally) their business.
Do some research. There are tons of malls, in dozens of cities...I'm talking BIG
shopping complexes, that have shut down and become "ghost towns" because thugs
and gangstas (translation: the hoodie bunch) hung out there and drove the PAYING customers away.

If I own a business, I decide the rules . That's how life works.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I wonder how they are going to handle customers entering the store wearing Burka´s....

*second line - lol*

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated
In Britain now you can't go anywhere wearing a hood or a hat. Of course, any religion other than the majority can do what they want.

Utter tripe I'm afraid. I always walk around with my hood up or my peaked beanie on and I've never got any trouble for it.

Then again,I have the common decency to put it down when I'm in a shop.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Hoodie wearing kids , here's a tip for you .

You fink you look 'cool' and maybe even 'slightly menacing' coz you've seen all the 'gang' films, and you fink it makes you look like cool yeah?
but here's the real 'skinny' on wearing da hoodies from all us peeple on da streeeets...

It makes you look either like a complete 'knobhead' or makes us think you were dressed this morning by your mum so you don't catch a cold....

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by lw2525

I totaly agree with you there, let these coporate giants and even little shops make their own rules about wither or not to lets these thugs in.

These hoddies are a disgrace and strike fear into everyday normal citizens. People wont got to the corner shop due to fear from these kids. They dont no if they are going to cause trouble when they walk past.

I will admit that i own a hoddie, however i dont wear my hood up unless its raining but as soon as i enter a shop i take it down, thats just from respect. I dont like to talk to people when i cant see a face.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
When it comes to religious clothing its different. Its peoples faith, if their book says that they must not show more than eyes then let it be. I can deal with that.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfisolated
I like wearing hoodies with the hood up. It gives me a sense of being in my own world that I control, I'm not bending over and letting 'them' run my life. It makes me feel safer being in my own little bubble.
Then I get accused of being some scum who's going to mug little old ladies and rob sweets from the shop.

I love my hoodies too...if anyone wants to judge me solely on what I choose to wear then that is their own problem...don't judge a book by it's cover!

If someone who I pass in the street whilst I have my hood up seems to be afraid because of my appearance then I give them a polite smile and a nod of the head and far more often than not, their posture relaxes and I get a polite smile in return..

what's next...banning me nan from wearing her rain-hood that keeps her hair pristine whilst she's off to bingo???

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mach Shadows
These hoddies are a disgrace and strike fear into everyday normal citizens.

'disgrace'...'strike fear'... that's Daily Mail-speak at it's finest!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Its not hard to give someone a little smile and a nod of the head. You can see peoples face change like a weight has been lifted, no more fear from the gentleman wearing that hoddie.

We are not all scum, some people wear them because they like them plus they are warm.

You should never judge everyone the same just because of what they are wearing

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
that is a wild conclusion you have jumped to on the basis of twisting what I have said.

"hiding your identity in public so that you can't be identified for the crimes you've committed"

your words, not mine. You only provided 2 options, and that was one of them. Now if you would like to retract your illogical false dichotomy and offer another, I would be more than happy to read it.

btw, I find this thread to be VERY similar to a thread I just made regarding privacy (and anonymity) online. As to be expected, the typical "if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about" comments came up as well. These are two sides of the same coin.

Because people feel "intimidated" or unsure of you, because they can't know exactly who you are whenever they want to, it seems like they feel it's their right to invade on your privacy.

I have resigned to thinking that there are just 2 camps (a false dichotomy of my own): those that care about privacy, and those that don't. And for the record, if you don't care about MY privacy, then you don't care about privacy at all - that's how it works.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by scientist]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Its a twat.... Even though we no who commits these crimes, you cant prove it due to these people hiding their faces.

In the UK most shops have a sign up saying to remove hats and hoods when you enter, no-one seems to enforce it enough and so people wont do ti

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join