It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoodies, hats banned from shops

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by dahl

Excuse me sonny. I'm over 60 and I have been buying hoodies for my grandchildren and myself for years.

You are 18. Does that make you reckless and a menace to society?

Be careful when you profile people.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician
Does it make sense to you that if an airport has a number of bombs brought through in suitcases, that instead of checking every suitcase resulting in wasted time and resources, that they would just ban suitcases altogether?

Considering that they use x-ray machines to view inside all the baggage anyway your example is not a terribly good one.

Live with it, because authorities use the "duck test" to test for criminality:
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

You look like an idiot, act like an idiot and speak like an idiot therefore you probably must be an idiot!!

See how interpretation can alter a truth?

How you have come to the conclusion that the above denotes confusion about the central topic is beyond me - then again, when the word "Asian" is replaced with "Jew" in any context, you think it automatically becomes racist.

Why make confusion in the first place? Simply state your case. I was trying to tell you this in the two threads you had deleted for inflammatory remarks. Which brings me to your above comment, again you are interpreting my intention wrong, therefore altering the truth

[edit on 4/9/2008 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Yeah, they've actually been doing this for years in England.

The crime rate over there with yound adults and teens is scary.

But yeah, not really new to me.

I guess its the same as not being allowed to show your boxers or underware

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
A mall is not a public place, it is paid for and run by private companies and they can do as they please. Hopefully those who disagree will boycott the place as that is the only language(money) that the management speaks. On a side note, I don't get the after 6pm part. Do hoodie induced crimes occur most frequently after this hour?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
never in my life has one of my friends called me up and said i just got a rocawear hoodie tryna go rob some people look certian people are gonna commit crimes no matter what there wearing

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Side note to stores : Quit relying on your cameras to do your job.

Do their jobs??? What does that mean? Their JOB is to present and sell merchandise. Their JOB is not to apprehend violent criminals.

When the same violent criminals rob places again and again the only hope the store HAS is to try and capture the perp on film so maybe someone will identify them and maybe they can be arrested.

Or am I missing something here? Are you implying the store owner is at fault when they get robbed? Please share how they should prevent that. Maybe keep everything behind locked cages? Or maybe have customers "buzz in" and simply refuse the ones that don't look right?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It is a joke that they are trying to ban people from wearing you hood up in a shop. No correct me if i am wrong. Anyone who have commited crimes through out the years from stealing a chocolate bar to robbing a bank have always concealed their faces in one way or another.

So should you be banned from wearing your hood in a shop. Yeah.

Anyone who wears a hoodie and isnt a thug will automaticaly remove it when entering anyway, its common decency. So if you dont then you are probaly up to no good.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

A hoodie with their parent.. in public.. no, the reason they are doing this is because people hide themselves with hood+Cap+Scarf then steal and/or participate in violent acts. Sure not much of the violence goes on in town but the thief is way up there, shoplifting cost consumer £13.26 billion since 2000, (2.1billion last year I think), plus if you can't see somebodies face it just puts you on edge.

I for one will support this evil liberty sucking act.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

You are doing something wrong in the eyes of a society who expects security and safety because you are concealing your identity to a degree and attaining a certain amount of anonymity by covering up your most identifiable physical characteristics.

and there you have it. This is the way the world ends. Not with a bang but a whimper.

You are doing something wrong by wearing a hat / hoodie. Even though Dahl made the statement that wearing a hoody makes him feel more comfortable. The gestapo will have none of that. If your clothes make anyone else uncomfortable, new clothing will be assigned to you. That new government approved apparel may even have a nice decoration sewn into it, like a star of david for example.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by scientist]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WisdomInChains
never in my life has one of my friends called me up and said i just got a rocawear hoodie tryna go rob some people look certian people are gonna commit crimes no matter what there wearing

Yeah. This is turning into one of the stupidest threads on ATS. I'm not coming back. Banning hoodies for 3 hours a week doesn't deserve this much attention.

Only the truly paranoid need stay.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthTellist
The kiddies will start wearing Shawls and Turbans

Then their rights will be specifically protected by the Law. We can't discriminate now can we?

England is a joke. They are screwed. They have allowed the police state to infiltrate almost every facet of their lives and have managed to rationalize this perversion being perpetrated against them.

What happened to the people who withstood the Nazis, withstood their onslaughts and whose nation was a bastion of freedom against the Fascist Menace.

Just two generations ago, the English were defiant and proud - those Englishmen impeded the Nazis every move, and brought battle to them wherever they found them. The English now are subdued and their wills have been cowed. They have forgotten their heritage.

If England Frees itself, the world will do likewise.

Australia - please don't let yourselves become like England. Do you really want to live in a world with 'Garbage Bin Inspectors' and 'Public Tension Monitors'?

[edit on 4-9-2008 by TruthTellist]

This is so true!! we ARE screwed!!!!
why do you think the youth of britain is like this anyway? because of the horrible society we grow up in. I am no longer young enough to call myself a youth but I am not far off,and remember what it was like growing up and it seems even worse now. As a young person you are discriminated against, deemed to be worthless from the start, so why are people surprised when they then act this way? The 'youth' are one part of society who are not subdued and wills are not cowed, this is why they are discriminated against! Now people are saying they must not dress a certain way, because people feel threatened, this is media propaganda!! I wear a hoodie and I wouldn't dream of robbing someone! Its a fashion item. I'll admit some people put their hoodies up and hide their face, yep chances are they may be on the rob, but if they are wearing them normally then whats the problem?
Young people in the 60s and 70s used to protest, follow causes close to their hearts and put their fiery nature to good use.People can't do that now, young people grow up not caring about politics and world issues because we know we couldn't change anything anyway! So instead we get gang culture and wasted youth. I would like to point out though not everybody turns to this,I had my own experiences growing up and could be in a very different situation to what I am now (married with two beautiful children) But luckily I was raised with good moral structure and family values,what happens to the kids who don't have this? They end up destroying themselves and the society around them. Its societys problem and the government needs to deal with the root of the problem, rather than introducing silly rules banning hoodies!
I wear my hoody proudly,I may get funny looks from people and feel their scorn, but I don't care what they think, I know I'm not going to rob anybody or hurt anybody,if they do thats their small mindedness!! and If I got asked to leave anywhere for wearing a hoody, well to be honest I don't want to spend my money there anyway!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Not everyone is doing something wrong when wearing a hoodie.

For certain i will not be told what to wear by anyone, i wear what i want and feel comfortable and dont care if no one else likes it. I wouldnt tell other people what to wear if i dont like it.

If you ban hoodies, then you will have to ban all head wear aswel as religious clothing, im against that though.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The youth of today that does wear hoodies and causes trouble have been raised without being taught right or wrong. Not told to respect others i dont think half of them could even spell respect. Its lazy parenting that caused the downfall of the youth not the fashion.

I no its easy to point the finger, if we dont sort out the youth crime in the next couple of years then we are f*!ked.

They will take complete control of the streets and will no longer be safe for anyone. On the other hand they might eliminate each other.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
[QUOTE]
Australia - please don't let yourselves become like England. Do you really want to live in a world with 'Garbage Bin Inspectors' and 'Public Tension Monitors'?
[/QUOTE]

I watched a documentary a couple of months ago with one of these 'inspectors' in it. He had never fined a single person and had been doing the job for a long time... the job is the joke.

Whilst I like and wear hoodies, and dislike this, there is nothing I can do about it. It is not my property and If somebody walked onto my property and hid their face I would probably been rather worried aswell.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Would be a bad job that, going through peoples rubbish. You would have to be more discreat getting rid of things you didnt want anyone to find

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Mach Shadows]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
GOOD! maybe those kids won't look so emo anymore.

Haha just kidding.

But on a more serious note- isn't this a bad idea for a privately owned business? i mean..if it is a mall...they must be selling hoodies/hats. They won't attract more customers by putting such a rule up, probably discourage them?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Its to discourage them from wearing hoods up in shops, not to ban them completly.

You couldnt ban a top, if you have your hood down then you look more trust worthy, well so they think

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
It's private property. If the owner of the place wants to ban hoodies, they can. In a store I go into, backpacks are allowed, so I wear mine throughout the store, but in other stores, it's not allowed, so I either leave it at the front desk until I pick it up to leave, or I don't go in altogether. In some houses, people get mad if you walk in with your hat or shoes. Do you argue with the parents that its your "right" to wear those items?

If you are so pissed off about it, instead of ranting on for pages and pages on an online message board, maybe you should start a protest and march outside every day with hundreds of people. Arguing back and forth on a message board does nothing, so you get no sympathy from me. Either obey the rules of the private property or leave.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
There's one sure-fire way to get the ruff-kids and wannabe-gangsters from wearing hoodies anymore...all adults over 40 should deliberately wear them, and then the hoodie top will be instantly dropped as apparel-of-choice for being so damn uncool by association

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sendran
If I had a shop, I'd ban hoods and all garments concealing the face. Religious pieces are fine, I have no problem with a person's beliefs.

Once more, religion has to rear its ugly head.

A teenager can't wear a hoodie into the shop, as he's a criminal.

A muslim teenager can wear a complete body wrap, showing only eye-slits and that's ok, she's religious.

How about the teenagers who worship the Jedi religion and therefore must wear a cloak with a hood? They're following their religious ideals too. Their religion is as valid as any other, based on the same fictional beliefs as any other.

Originally posted by Scientist
You are doing something wrong by wearing a hat / hoodie. Even though Dahl made the statement that wearing a hoody makes him feel more comfortable. The gestapo will have none of that. If your clothes make anyone else uncomfortable, new clothing will be assigned to you. That new government approved apparel may even have a nice decoration sewn into it, like a star of david for example.

Scientist - I agree with you, dude. The world ends with a whimper, indeed. The majority will roll over and take it, little by little until they're subdued.

There's a glimmer of hope though, some of us can see past the BS and recognise it for what it is.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join