It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoodies, hats banned from shops

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Hmm... Seems us uglies will have to do our shopping somewheres else since these shopping malls won't let us wear our hoodies to cover our ugly faces.

This is rather silly, but very disturbing if it becomes a trend ro law.

-Jimmy

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
Police state my arse, I have no sympathy for these hoodie kids. If you need to hide your face, you've done something wrong.

First off a hoodie doesn't hide your face my friend, it hides your head
secondly i love hoodies as they are incredibly comfortable, do I have something to hide now? Have I done something wrong?

This type of mentality is what is wrong with this continent.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyjackblack
Hmm... Seems us uglies will have to do our shopping somewheres else since these shopping malls won't let us wear our hoodies to cover our ugly faces.

This is rather silly, but very disturbing if it becomes a trend ro law.

-Jimmy
Heh I was thinking the very same thing,the hoodie is the uniform of the not cosmetically blessed and highly anti social.I should know iv'e practically got one for every day of the year.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

You just don't like hoodies, you sexy asian profile pic!

I like hoodies, in fact I need them for health reasons, I'm a thermophile and I need the heat to keep me from getting sick.

-Jimmy

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I like hoodies, in fact I need them for health reasons, I'm a thermophile and I need the heat to keep me from getting sick.

Well since it is for health reasons, just pull the string nice and tight so it keeps your little ears warm, and then people can STILL see your face!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

"I don't care for the law - it's a joke. Therefore, I'm not in a position to know if this is legal or not?"

It is not a law, it's a rule. Chances are if you break it all the security can do is ask you to leave, then if you refuse then it can become a problem that police can be involved in. But this isnt really that massive even if someone does wear a hoodie or hat in a shopping mall.

"How can a public shopping centre enforce dress codes upon youths? What about youths who are with their parents and allowed some free time for an hour?"

Because a public shopping centre such as this one, has a service to guarantee the safety of its customers and the well being of the shops inside. There are shops that do not allow more than a certain amount of kids into the shop too, while a pain as a kid when shopping needs doing, there are reasons to take these precautions. As well, a 'youth' can still shop with their parents and could wear something other than a hood or hat, they are items of clothing that can be easily done without.

This police state mentality is a joke.

I think the problem here is also, you come from melbourne according to your location. In England where the article came from, there is a real problem with hood and hat wearing youths that has seriously got out of hand. And they often use these hats and hoods to commit crimes on a daily basis. As far as I am aware Australia is quite a laid back place, so I imagine these problems leading to this sort attitude towards youths is a bit more strange to you than it is all the English users on the sight. Well hope this gives a good enough insight into the article for anyone who might need to know more.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
i dont really know how banning hoods/ hats etc is going to stop crime.

all those who are intent on committing a criminal offense will still wear them and those who do nothing worng are the ones being punnished.

its the same old story governments, law enforcement, etc use the anti-social behaviour of an extreamly small minority to enforce their BS on the rest of the population.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
To fight poverty and poor education would serve more purposes than just eliminating crime as well - and it saves people from resorting to crime that may not have otherwise been inclined to such a lifestyle. But I suppose that's a different thread.

I am SO SICK of this excuse! I am SO SICK of hearing that these criminals steal "because they are poor and uneducated". I live in a middle class area, there are NO truly "poor people" here. No projects, no public transportation. Lots of nice cars. If you don't have a car you can't live here.

So why was there a drive-by shooting on my little street? Why was there a chop shop 3 blocks down? Why does the local gas station get robbed? Why do the thugs that are doing the robbing and shooting driving away in NEW BIG FLASHY SUV'S???

These people are NOT poor. They CHOOSE to live a ghetto lifestyle and it has NOTHING to do with poverty! Stop making excuses for it! Stop spewing jibberish that makes the criminals the "victims".

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Don't laugh too hard. My local bank (well, at least until they implemented this and I switched), lists sunglasses along with hoodies and helmets as banned clothing. They hadn't gotten to the beard yet, but I'm sure it was on the way. As for RFID, fortunately it's not widely implented here yet-the police force just approved Tasers starting this fall.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Why are youths treated as such second hand citizens?

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I never thought there would be a day when adults would be frightened off teenagers like they are superior.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred
i dont really know how banning hoods/ hats etc is going to stop crime.

all those who are intent on committing a criminal offense will still wear them and those who do nothing worng are the ones being punnished.

its the same old story governments, law enforcement, etc use the anti-social behaviour of an extreamly small minority to enforce their BS on the rest of the population.

exactly! Australia is using many excuses to enforce laws and are pumping it in the media repeatedly. Australians are pretty docile because they take the laid back approach and wreck it for everyone.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Since this is private property they have the right to set rules, however, public local police have no legal jurisdiction unless a crime labeled by the state is committed.

Rent-a-cops will be the only enforcers of this new code in the mall, until one of them gets killed over a scuffle.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I wear a Hoodie and a Hat every day, without the hood up but its just how i dress it doesnt mean im going to rob a store or try and steal a bunch of their stuff i find this is insulting and i hope that they all go out of business

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dany_Barking
It is not a law, it's a rule. Chances are if you break it all the security can do is ask you to leave, then if you refuse then it can become a problem that police can be involved in.

Rule, law, whatever, they're both the same. You break them and you're in trouble.

I think the problem here is also, you come from melbourne according to your location. In England where the article came from, there is a real problem with hood and hat wearing youths that has seriously got out of hand.

I think the problem here is that you haven't read the article properly. The shopping centre is located in Northern New South Wales, Australia, NOT England.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Police state? I'm sorry but a shopping complex is not a government controlled facility. If i own a bar i can make any rule i wish for you to enter. I could stipulate that you have to hop on your left leg 9 times and spin arod 3 times to enter.

Don't confuse a private business with government. Private businesses can make up any criteria they want for you to enter their privately held property. This thread is rediculous.

KTK

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Ha try living there....ITS ABOUT THE KIDS NOT THE HOODIES

My Nan has lived in the area for the last 15 years. My good friend was born and bred in the area. There are 2 reasons for the feral teens.

Bout 10 years ago the area had a masive influx of people who had sold their houses in the outer suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne. These kids parents had alot of disposable cash to indulge thier toddlers in. These are the sorts who dont disipline thier kids nor do they actually care what the kids are up to cause whatever it is, it is no where as bad as it would be in balcktown or frankston from which they came.
The areas demographics is retired folk and these types of families with not much in between. The infrastructure of the area is poor for the kids. The retirees have lawn bowls and clubs, they are catered for and the kids are forgotten , BORED with little disipline or respect.

Now the area is small and every teen knows each other as there arnt many schools either. Substance abuse and teen pregnancies are rife in the area

These kids would hit the mall en mass and intimidate and roll folk, smash and grab from shops, we arnt talking 5 or 6 kids we are talking groups of 20+++++++

So its not about the hoodies its about the kids with anti social personality disorders who beat up old people and families with young kids, while they are trying to go to woollies to get thier groceries.

The hoodies (racked from city beach tweed city)just give a fair indication that the wearer is an anti social f***tard.

I suppose its what happens when kids are overindulged and undersupervised.

Its not just this area though its all over oz, no wonder they want to charge and arrest parents for thier crap kids.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by KTK]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
local malls and shopping centers are privately owned and the shops are generally individually leased from the property owners.

My bank has a sign posted on the door that says no hats, hoods, sunglasses, or backpacks. no one bats an eye at that, this is no different.

Our local mall has a 6 pm curfew if you are under 18 on the weekends, this was because of gaggles of teenagers buying nothing and causing problems with no parental supervision. that is their right as a property owner.

hoodies not only hide your face; the baggy nature of the sweatshirt and the big front pocket is a good place to stash stuff.

Peoples livelihoods are on the line here, shrink due to theft is a major problem in every retail establishment.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Banning hoodies is naff, imo.

Sure shop owners have the right to tell ya not to wear your hoodie in their store and you have the right not to enter there if that's a problem.

In this situation nones freedom is takin away. Most checkout girls will ask to inspect your bags before leaving the supermarket. What's the diff (from feedom pov)?

Originally posted by dahl

iim 18 and i only have hoodies shirts that all i wear and im not walkin around do in crimes all the time,

So you only do crimes some of the time? lol

Sorry, couldn't resist..

Originally posted by Sonya610

Well since it is for health reasons, just pull the string nice and tight so it keeps your little ears warm, and then people can STILL see your face!

You might end up looking like this

[edit on 4/9/08 by styxxz]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
This thread is about a shopping centre in Australia, not quite the same level of gang violence - yet... Give it a dozen years and Australia will be just as screwed as the USA. With BS regulations like this, we can see that the police state is tweaking its control measures.

Right... Give it a dozen more years and we'll be as screwed as the US, BUT if we do anything to prevent that, then we're a police state.

I'm all for this. I see it no different that the signs at every shopping mall I've ever seen that state "No Skateboards permitted on premises." or "No Smoking." or "No alcohol allowed."

Don't they also infringe apon someones right to do something that they have the right to do?

Would if bother you if the youth started to wear ski-masks and hung around shopping malls? If not, then those dozen years more we have to wait, will be directed by people who throw their hands up in protest at every attempt to curb the behaviour that will have us end up with armed gangs in ski masks hanging around at shopping malls.

No one is stopping these people from doing what they want on public property. The shopping centre is privately owened and the management have every right to make their own rules as long as they don't break the law.

Unbelievable, the way some people can overreact to absolutely nothing...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join