It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hoodies, hats banned from shops

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Hoodies, hats banned from shops

www.news.com.au

A SHOPPING centre has banned hooded sweatshirts and hats for fear young criminals are using them to hide from security cameras.

Signs have been in place at Tweed City shopping centre for the past three weeks warning that "hoodies" and hats will be banned after 6pm (AEST) on Thursdays.

Centre management said the trial ban on headwear was prompted by friction between security guards and local youths.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I don't care for the law - it's a joke. Therefore, I'm not in a position to know if this is legal or not?

How can a public shopping centre enforce dress codes upon youths? What about youths who are with their parents and allowed some free time for an hour?

This police state mentality is a joke.

www.news.com.au

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Well, if they weren't committing crimes and then hiding their identity by covering their heads and faces, this measure wouldn't need to be taken, would it?

Police state my arse, I have no sympathy for these hoodie kids. If you need to hide your face, you've done something wrong.

I normally agree with your posts (as I'm a massive 40k fan myself, I recognise your assassin picture) but on this one I'm not with you, I'm afraid!

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

I don't care for the law - it's a joke. Therefore, I'm not in a position to know if this is legal or not?

How can a public shopping centre enforce dress codes upon youths? What about youths who are with their parents and allowed some free time for an hour?

This police state mentality is a joke.

www.news.com.au

Q: What are you talking about? How can a nightclub refuse to let some people in the door based on an arbitrary judgment?

A: Freedom.

There is nothing wrong with telling people to expose their faces while on your property.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
This isn't 'police state' kinda stuff. The shopping centre is privately owned and the owners have every right to enforce this.

Almost every shopping centre in my hometown has similar rules, no exposing your face and all that. It intimidates other shoppers and hey, if you're hiding your face, you've got something to hide. Usually something sinister.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

Q: What are you talking about? How can a nightclub

Nightclub???? Huh???? Where in that article does it mention a nightclub???

They are referring to a Shopping Centre (a Mall for Americans). It is a place for people and families to shop, not privately owned like a nightclub.

[edit on 4/9/2008 by Kryties]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   
Have you seen the latest 'fashion' around the suburbs worn by the male youths?

Lots of them wear hoodies. My neighbour's kid wears a hoodie and he's harmless, so are his friends. Half of them are geeks trying to fit in. Why should they be banned from wearing their clothes at a shopping centre?

I guess you don't feel the water boiling enough if you don't think that this kind of measure isn't police state control.

Treating all youths as potential criminals is not the way to solve the problem here. Knee-jerk regulations like this are usually conceived by jerks who have no idea.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I hope that wasn't directed at me, I fully agree with you

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Kryties, no, not directed at you. If I wish to address someone, I use 'quote' or 'reply'. The 'you' is often just the general 'you' to anyone reading or posting.

I can see you agree. Banning clothes, especially after 6pm is BS.

If I had a teenage kid, I'd take him there with me, just after 6pm and let him look around by himself for a half hour. If I was lucky, I might win myself a law suit when his rights are infringed, all because he was by himself buying me a birthday present!

Hmmm, now there's an idea...

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The kiddies will start wearing Shawls and Turbans

Then their rights will be specifically protected by the Law. We can't discriminate now can we?

England is a joke. They are screwed. They have allowed the police state to infiltrate almost every facet of their lives and have managed to rationalize this perversion being perpetrated against them.

What happened to the people who withstood the Nazis, withstood their onslaughts and whose nation was a bastion of freedom against the Fascist Menace.

Just two generations ago, the English were defiant and proud - those Englishmen impeded the Nazis every move, and brought battle to them wherever they found them. The English now are subdued and their wills have been cowed. They have forgotten their heritage.

If England Frees itself, the world will do likewise.

Australia - please don't let yourselves become like England. Do you really want to live in a world with 'Garbage Bin Inspectors' and 'Public Tension Monitors'?

[edit on 4-9-2008 by TruthTellist]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I agree 100%.

Ban them from all public places.

I think that 'Hoodies' are in someways inciting many to do criminal acts that they would probably not do if identity was a factor.

If it were only for fashion, I wouldn't have a problem with it. But when swarms of 'kids' are using them to hide their identity while beating and robbing people (my neck of the woods anyways)... they should prevent people from wearing them in certain areas/places.

Our government run liquor stores here have had that rule for quite some time, no one has ever complained (that I have heard of) and I can't remember the last time a liquor store was robbed.

If its being used/can be used to conceal someones identity during a crime, ban them.

Go back to the 'Hammer Pants', nothing wrong with that

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

The thing is, it is a measure to stop the unpleasant minority from taking advantage of your good nature.

If the kids have a problem with it, they should disown "hoodie culture" entirely. Evidently they don't have a problem with it, which is why they embrace it so, and therefore appropriate measures must be taken to prevent it.

If I get stabbed by some little bastard, I sure as hell want his face plastered across CCTV so the cops can get him.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthTellist
The kiddies will start wearing Shawls and Turbans

Then their rights will be specifically protected by the Law. We can't discriminate now can we?

That is actually a damned good point. What would they do if the youth's, in protest, wore burkah's and turbans? I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see that go down....

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

The Tweed City shopping centre is managed by the DEXUS Propety Group, a private company, not by the state.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by CO Vet

Whatever, it is still heavy handed tactics.

Im not saying I like what they wear, in fact I wouldn't be caught dead in a hood but thats my own personal fashion preference, not because it offends me or I see it as 'gang colours'.

The point is the ban is far too open-ended and allows for innocent people to be punished just for wearing cloths that they feel comfortable in.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin
If the kids have a problem with it, they should disown "hoodie culture" entirely.

Why? Why should they?

I grew up in the 80s where every kid had a denim jacket with chains and spikes hanging from it and heavy metal patches all over them.

They weren't banned and they were far more 'dangerous' than hoodies.

The kids don't have a problem wearing hoodies, it seems in this case that the short-sighted adults have the problem. Tarring all teenagers wearing hoodies with the same brush is not the way to solve the problem.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Private businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone (at least in most places). A local mall here banned underage people without a parent or guardian from the mall on friday and saturday nights.

Why? Because large gangs of youths would fill the mall and troll aimlessly, occasionally fighting, stealing, etc... That sort of behavior will certainly drive away regular SHOPPERS that are there to buy goods. When people can't walk down the mall isles because a group of 30 "teenagers" in a mob refuses to move, and appears menacing, that is a problem, not to mention sensible people would also be concerned about walking in the parking lot as well.

I have heard classical music works as a good deterrant in many cases, along with that high pitched mosquito tone.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Then I guess the shopping center will lose the business of those who refuse to not expose their faces. Now if shoplifting and other petty crimes don't go down due to this ban, then maybe they'll kill it.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
I have heard classical music works as a good deterrant in many cases, along with that high pitched mosquito tone.

A shopping centre near where I live recently tried playing classical music to deter the dealers and gang members that hung out near one of the entrances. It worked most effectively and took maybe a week to clear the place out. No bans on clothing were made, no police presence and no arrests or fines were needed.

When one puts one's mind to it there are many more ways to deal with a situation than just simply being 'heavy-handed'.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grailkeeper
I agree 100%.

Ban them from all public places.

I think that 'Hoodies' are in someways inciting many to do criminal acts that they would probably not do if identity was a factor.

I agree. I also think that sunglasses should be kept off indoors, and all men should not let their hair cover their faces either. Also, everyone should be implanted with an RFID chip so that the security people can know who they are. It's the only way to stay safe from the imaginary threats I create for myself out of my disconnection with youth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join