It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama suggests reparations to blacks, Native Americans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
This is some of his quotes from this meeting.

I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds," he said

Sen. Barack Obama told a meeting in Chicago the U.S. should review how it can make amends for "offenses" committed during its history.

Here is the link to the article

wnd.com...

If they get reparations for being black or American Indian, then I want reparations for my ancestors fighting the Civil War!!!

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
You misread your quotes or mistitled the thread. From the quotes Obama does not "suggest" reparations to blacks, Native Americans.

Words and deeds are different than a payout.

The United States of America SHOULD make ammends regarding OUR past history at the expense of others.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
As long as he intend to pay them out of his $4 million dollar a year income I could care the least. Now, if he plans to my tax payer dollars for his pet project, that's an entirely different matter. I, nor my ancestors, ever owned a slave or enslaved anyone.

Once you start handing out specious apologies and paying reparations, things will only get worse. Before long, every person in the country that ever felt they were mistreated will have their hand out..

[edit on 31-7-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

In this quote

I consistently believe that when it comes to whether it's Native Americans or African-American issues or reparations, the most important thing for the U.S. government to do is not just offer words, but offer deeds," he said

Does it not say that the U.S. Government should not just offer words but offer deeds? So what does deeds mean than if it does not mean reparations? You my good sir are the one twisting the words around.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

More racial undertone from Eric52081.

Just like all the other posts.

Obama never promised reparations.

He's saying that America shoudl stop pretending that our past doesnt matter, or never happened at all.

All too often you hear people say "we paid for slavery, many times over"

Oh really? They can never name one asides from "affirmative action" but affirmative action was implied more towards WHITE women, than black citizens.

What is so wrong with the US government making an official apology, who knows, maybe even a monument to black slavery and the massacre of American indians?

Because it did happen.

I dont care if it happened in Africa - it happened here too. Let African descendants worry about their own forms of government, and we'll worry about ours.

Don't you realize that most of the racial problems in this country are a downright refusal from some powerful white people to recognize that slavery was an evil thing that should never have happened?

Of course you dont.
Your clouded judgement only allows your brain to interpret one color when it comes to skin: White.

Its white or g'night, right?

[edit on 7/31/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by eric52081

Does it not say that the U.S. Government should not just offer words but offer deeds? So what does deeds mean than if it does not mean reparations? You my good sir are the one twisting the words around.

DEED

1. something that is done, performed, or accomplished; an act: Do a good deed every day.
2. an exploit or achievement; feat: brave deeds.
3. Often, deeds. an act or gesture, esp. as illustrative of intentions, one's character, or the like: Her deeds speak for themselves.
4. Law. a writing or document executed under seal and delivered to effect a conveyance, esp. of real estate.

REPARATIONS

1. the making of amends for wrong or injury done: reparation for an injustice.
2. Usually, reparations. compensation in money, material, labor, etc., payable by a defeated country to another country or to an individual for loss suffered during or as a result of war.
3. restoration to good condition.

both come from websters

Big difference, pal.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

So, what are you suggesting, then Llyod?

Are you saying that our past is acceptable?

True - you and myself were not around for it.

But we ARE around to reap the benefits of it.

Should the government not offer anything, and move forward as if it never happened?

and for the record - i dont condone monetary reparations.

But something other than

"slavery is bad"

would be fitting.

It goes like this:

"uhh. yeah slavery is bad. Can i have my oil check please"
when it comes to US politicians.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I don't believe in money reparations for slavery but, for the American Indians I say they deserve it. We killed most of their ancestors and stole their land. And they complain less than the African Americans. That right there really tells me something about African Americans. It says that no matter what we do they will never be happy. Besides we all ready gave the African Americans American citizenship. Many people in this world would give an arm and a leg just to get that. They could have it worse, they could be in Africa with AIDS and barley able to find water. They should thank the United States that we brought them over here. I just get tired of hearing the complaining.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

reply to post by stikkinikki

In this quote

If you read the transcript rather than the article in Worldnetdaily (which is as right wing as it gets) you would have seen the follow up to this qoute...

GOOD SCHOOLS AND GOOD JOBS...You are opposed to this?

MALVEAUX: When it comes to reparations, would you take it a step further, in terms of apologizing for slavery or offering reparations to various groups?

OBAMA: You know, I have said in the past -- and I'll repeat again -- that the best reparations we can provide are good schools in the inner city and jobs for people who are unemployed.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Wait a sec, I specifically remember hearing the reparations question on the radio earlier this week, Mark Davis show to be specific. The quote from the OP, quoted from that site, is incorrect.

Obama was asked about reparations, but his response was that the best way reparations could be made was to make sure that our nations poorer* schools were appropriately funded and operating better than they are now and that our nation's youth are sufficiently educated.

I put the asterisk because I couldn't remember if he specifically called out poorer schools or all schools.

I still don't favor Obama as the choice for POTUS, but I do want to point out the inconsistencies when I know otherwise.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I don't believe in money reparations for slavery but, for the American Indians I say they deserve it. We killed most of their ancestors and stole their land. And they complain less than the African Americans. That right there really tells me something about African Americans. It says that no matter what we do they will never be happy. Besides we all ready gave the African Americans American citizenship. Many people in this world would give an arm and a leg just to get that. They could have it worse, they could be in Africa with AIDS and barley able to find water. They should thank the United States that we brought them over here. I just get tired of hearing the complaining.

You cannot ... be serious?

Let me dissect this - one line at a time.

I don't believe in money reparations for slavery but, for the American Indians I say they deserve it.

Whats the difference? Both peoples were slaughtered and exploited. You think there werent American Indian slaves too?
How many American indians do we have in this country today?

Why the double standard? Because Indians skin color is closer to yours, than black people? Your thread creation history reveals much about you.

And they complain less than the African Americans.

Stop watching so much Youtube and it wont seem that way. You'll see the world for the way it really is. You really should let less MSM control your mind.

blah blah blah

They could have it worse, they could be in Africa with AIDS and barley able to find water

Yeah. Or they could be in America with AIDS and surrounded by water (Katrina, anyone)?

its the same thing man. You're letting ignorance of black culture turn you into a vehement hate-mongerer.

They should thank the United States that we brought them over here. I just get tired of hearing the complaining.

Congratulations. You just won the award for silliest thing said all day. Your trophy is in the mail, and i believe Rush Limbaugh would like to give you a pat on the back.

Thanks for what? Being an unappreciated, unspoken cornerstone foundation building block for this country as it exists today?

Or being the silent victim that screams out for attention because too many people like you would try to quiet them?

Honestly man.

Obama is just trying to be a voice. You'd be no different if someone did you wrong.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
So, what are you suggesting, then Llyod?

Are you saying that our past is acceptable?
What I'm saying is the past is the past. People should just get over it. Living in the past will get you nowhere.

True - you and myself were not around for it.
Nor my parents, or my grandparents for that matter.

But we ARE around to reap the benefits of it.
So are all the black people. Barack is a shining example of affirmative action at work.

Should the government not offer anything, and move forward as if it never happened?
I think Lincoln acknowledged the wrongness of slavery when he freed them. What more needs to be said? Why don't they ask for an apology from the African cheifs and Arab slavers who caught and sold them as well?

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Wow. I do not "bash" you - but you do have a very one sided view on this argument.

Barack is a shining example of affirmative action at work.

Come on man. You are defiantly smarter than that. Why do you say this? Because he's successful? So in order for any black person to be successful, its because it HAS to be affirmative action?

Condescending tones, like the ones you portray, are why black people are so vocal about racial injustices.

Its never been addressed.

If someone had murdered your grandpa, and you knew about it, wouldn't you feel the least bit upset if the person responsible was a very successful, highly prestigious politician?

Wouldnt you HONESTLY have feelings of tension around this man?

I think that soem black people take too strong of a zealous approach to the issue, giving the whoel cause a bad name, but that doesnt mean the cause is still bad, in and of its self.

And no - for the 5400th time, im not black.

But i've seen what SOME white people CAN STILL DO to black people, first hand.

I still see it quite frequently.

It exists.

The reason it exists is because people say "you cant live in the past"

Yeah. You're right.

But you can't forget about it either.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Noone is trying to deny that our past is riddled with poor decisions and evil deeds, such as slavery. What I think a lot are trying to say is that its 2008 dude. Drop it already. A lot of bad things happened to all races of people in the past. To give a race of people specific benefits now would indeed be viewed as racist by other races not receiving said benefits.

The fact is that the people alive today had nothing to do with slavery, and so therefore, should not be held accountable for someone else's actions. Stop blaming white people for your problems. There is no line white people stand in to get all the good # in life. It doesnt exist, we have the same problems everyone else does.

I am anti any program that benefits a person based on race, religion, age, or any of the other discriminatory factors.

Disclaimer... I am not a racist, I hate everyone equally.

* edit to put in that I guess age based programs are ok, old and really young people need help sometimes *

[edit on 31-7-2008 by Aaron_Justin]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I can see something done for the Indians ,but every race that migrated here was subjected to hatred etc,this happened long ago I think some know how to get over it,but a few feel they should be entitled to something after 300 yrs kind of hard to put any blame anywhere,if you want to be an American then your no better then the next one,don't like the country the airlines fly all over take your pick

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

you either give reparations to all or none

im for none

but reparations and deeds are different things all together.

Eric just decided to try and omit that part.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
Wow. I do not "bash" you - but you do have a very one sided view on this argument.

Come on man. You are defiantly smarter than that. Why do you say this? Because he's successful? So in order for any black person to be successful, its because it HAS to be affirmative action?
For over forty years blacks have had a decided advantage when it comes to going to college or getting jobs due to affirmative action. It was a good idea at the time, but has been turned into a crutch. How much time is needed for black people to catch up? I would've thought 1O years of having a decided advantage would have been more than enough for most people. If a person truly believes in equality, then affirmative action shouldn't be a part of their vocabulary.

Condescending tones, like the ones you portray, are why black people are so vocal about racial injustices.
Your confusing honesty with condescension Andrew. Anyone can take offense to anything if they want to.

If someone had murdered your grandpa, and you knew about it, wouldn't you feel the least bit upset if the person responsible was a very successful, highly prestigious politician?

Wouldnt you HONESTLY have feelings of tension around this man?
Who are you talking about Andrew?

I think that soem black people take too strong of a zealous approach to the issue, giving the whoel cause a bad name, but that doesnt mean the cause is still bad, in and of its self.
It's their crutch to explain every possible failure in life..

And no - for the 5400th time, im not black.

I never said you were, but I do have black blood in me. Should I get 15 points added to my civil service exam score for it?

I still see it quite frequently.

It exists.

The reason it exists is because people say "you cant live in the past"

Yeah. You're right.

But you can't forget about it either.

I've seen what blacks have done to whites as well. Nether group is right. Racism is a two-way street.

[edit on 31-7-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

A star for you! (probably the only one you'll get from me, so enjoy it!
j/k)

That's what you get when you use World Net Daily as a source. Basically lies.

Eric, your agenda is showing...

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Reparations.Which group would be more entitled? The native American or the African American,lets break it down.
The native american once held all the land that is now the United States.The natives were bought off,run off or slaughtered.They are still held to a different standard and treated differently by the U.S. government than any other citizens of this country.If you don't believe this try reading some of the rules enforced on them by the Bureau of Indian affairs.
The African American,captured and sold to Dutch traders by their black brothers.The dutch traders in turn sold them to which ever country willing to purchase them.At the end of the civil war the the blacks were all freed,and accepted as citizens in this country.Now every venue that deals publicly has to abide by anti-discrimination laws,and affirmative action,that in essence are discriminatory to those not of color.
Should the African Americans seek reparations,they should begin at the source.Seek reparations from the Dutch and the governments of Africa.Who knows The African governments might even extend an offer of repatriation,to all those who have suffered under such terrible abuses in the United States.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Don't you realize that most of the racial problems in this country are a downright refusal from some powerful white people to recognize that slavery was an evil thing that should never have happened?

Wow...

So, you don't think "white people" think slavery was bad? What about Mexican people? Did you know that South America had a bigger slave trade than the US? Have you ever considered that mnaybe you have some racist views of white people? Maybe that you single them out, becaudse their white skin angers you in some way?

Which white people are you talking about anyway? Are all white people guilty, simply because of their skin color?

The point is, people like you need to look at yourselves before you start pointing fingers.

See what I mean? You talk about "white people" as if they are some megalithic group that lurks in the shadows, just waiting for minorities to disenfranchise. As if only white people have the capacity for racism. You're the one with racists views here.

Its really no different from all other hate and racism we've seen in the past. In today's racist society, as white guy i have to just deal with it when my college invites black hate groups to speak and preach about "spilling the white mans blood".

[edit on 31-7-2008 by Dronetek]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join