It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama suggests reparations to blacks, Native Americans

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by sos37

A star for you! (probably the only one you'll get from me, so enjoy it!
j/k)

That's what you get when you use World Net Daily as a source. Basically lies.

Eric, your agenda is showing...

Lying about the facts on either side really pisses me off. I want a conservative victory, but I don't want another one where people are screaming that it was an unfair election based on untruths. Somehow, though, I feel that whomever wins, the other side will do just that (cry foul) and file a lawsuit. Well, unless of course it's a landslide victory. Late-breaking scandals aside, I can't see that happening for either side.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

Reparations.Which group would be more entitled? The native American or the African American,lets break it down.

For reparations?

neither.

But in the context of which Obama describes it: Both.

Deeds and reparation. Hardly synonyms.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I did a good deed today. I gave money to my church, or is that reparation for all the times I didn't do right with my church. Point is a deed can also be a form of payment. Another point, is that the US has and will continue to screw over many races. Just ask the Filipinos, Puerto Ricans, Native Americans, Africans, Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans, Israelis, Iraqis, Iranians, Cubans etc etc. If the USA really want to make amends for its evil past then we need to work toward the future to ensure that this part of history is never repeated. There is not enough money in the world to make up for our injustices and it would also be irresponsible for us to pay for the sins of our ancestors.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
For reparations?

neither.

I think we need to pay the Native Americans back rent for the use of their country. They more than have a legitimate claim to it when you consider all the treaties we broke and the lands that we stole from them.

Deeds and reparation. Hardly synonyms.

So, what type of deeds did he have in mind if he wasn't referring to money?

[edit on 31-7-2008 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45

So, what type of deeds did he have in mind if he wasn't referring to money?

[edit on 31-7-2008 by LLoyd45]

did you honestly not read that post here?

Go back and re-read the posts. Im not linking it for you.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
If there is indeed some type of payout, no matter how much it turns out to be it just won't be enough for some.
Sure some will spend it wisely and invest but most others will waste it on liabilities, like gold chains, sports jerseys, booze, hookers and adult entertainment, only to complain about it not being enough later.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

good jobs and good schools are deeds

obama is not suggesting cutting them a check.

did you guys even bother reading the article?

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
The post are amazing.
If school has taught that about slavery than research the subject for yourself. "why dont we ask the African Chiefs for an apology" The African chiefs were under the impression there people prisoners and free Africans can go and build the new world. Alot of people dont know the first Africans that went to the new world with the europeans, werent slaves at all. (Boriquen-a free African, sailed the carribean and landed in puerto rico which is why they resemble african americans and are even similiar in culture.) Some were bound to contracts with the chief, others were free people of wealth. When Africans were free of there contract they did what was around them in the new land.Theybegan "contract"not"enslave". The latter African-Americans began to acquire land, plantations, ownership, and contribute to the true "idea". Some of the europeans and even the natives went to war with Africans. Because of there lack of understanding in this united idea. Europeans started binding free slave and created laws that would make sure that they didnt have the freedom they were promised. African Runaways would get dozens of lashes and extra years on there contracts, whites would get extended services.(the slave who started the Harley Davidson company was sold to another slave owner for learning how to read, how absurd!) . Racial Prejudice and racism starts here and these were actual Laws that were made by the racist side. That brought down everything that Africans contributed in the old world. Some of my books actually call it "capitilism". Thats when they infiltrated Africa and took thousands to work. This is where most of the history you have been taught begins....

So IMO, if you totaly rape, and obliterate a persons culture and history and try to make it look like chiefs of Africa volunteered thier inhabitants to be mistreated and dehumanized, by no means are you obligated to repay or make reperations. Especially if the lawmakers of that day are still the lawmakers of today (they were and are still Americans!)... So essentially we are all descendants of old America. France needs to repay people as well Germany. Spain would be in debt three-fold if they repayed all of they people the obliterated. But it needs to be done if these are so called "reborn civilized nations".

How civilized are we, in comparison?
the tribalectic(go look the word up please)way will emerge from these people, and enable us to become a type I-II civ again.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
did you honestly not read that post here?

Go back and re-read the posts. Im not linking it for you.

Yeah , I read it.. Cash payments are considered deeds as well. It's Baracks's silent bribe to his black voting constituency. I want mine too! I'm sure someone, somewhere, someplace in time enslaved one of my ancestors..

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
why must you and I pay for the terrible and ugly mistakes our ancestors in this country did? it's not fair!!

if that is the way to go, then the italians (romans) must pay me for raping my ancestral spanish women and killing my ancestral men 2000 years ago!!! i want my euros now!!!!!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   
The Negro quarter in New Orleans is still not back in their houses since Katrina
the White quarter is partying to the wee hours of the morning
Where are the Americans not in the White quarter of New Orleans
It would be hard to call them human for I see no Humanity there today

America you are on your last legs financially
your freedom subverted

why are you not locked hand in hand as 1 nation , under god, indivisible.
I see no Americans only remnants, a rag tag rabble of dark eyes and apathy.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Not a chance.. I will quit paying taxes and hide my money before that looser gives it to blacks, and Indians. Hey here is a idea. LET THEM EARN IT. I had family come to this country and had to work in coal mines pretty much as slaves for 40 years. Nobody in my family ever complained. When that falls through they will take to the streets burning their own neighborhoods and looting shoes and FUBU clothes.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
TX Machine, have you left the woods or caves to join us in civilization. Read my post above and realize that every time someone trys to do it honestly people like you hold others back. We tried to do it we owned plantations, we processed the land, first I might add. It was greedy people. So keep the racist undertones to yourself.

Fubu lol. Blacks are the only group of people on the planet who has more consumers than producers, maybe tell them to stop marketing to blacks through Burger King, and Nike.

We are not the targets anymore!?!
Repay!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
TX Machine, have you left the woods or caves to join us in civilization. Read my post above and realize that every time someone trys to do it honestly people like you hold others back. We tried to do it we owned plantations, we processed the land, first I might add. It was greedy people. So keep the racist undertones to yourself.

Fubu lol. Blacks are the only group of people on the planet who has more consumers than producers, maybe tell them to stop marketing to blacks through Burger King, and Nike.

We are not the targets anymore!?!
Repay!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
I had family come to this country and had to work in coal mines pretty much as slaves for 40 years. Nobody in my family ever complained. When that falls through they will take to the streets burning their own neighborhoods and looting shoes and FUBU clothes.

I bolded one part:

To the bolded part: If you think comparing a paying wages job like a coal mine, to no pay at all, and a life of complete servitude in a cotton field, is a fair assessment of the two - then you have some serious issues :shk:

I "yellowed" another part

To the yellow text i say: "you are..."

and to this part

When that falls through they will take to the streets burning their own neighborhoods and looting shoes and FUBU clothes

You are the biggest hipocrite i've ever known. Are you related to the OP?

[edit on 8/1/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS
We tried to do it we owned plantations, we processed the land, first I might add. It was greedy people. So keep the racist undertones to yourself.

Who is we? Why are white people the sole target of this sort of thing?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

He was talking about better education in state funded school districts, job development in low income communities, and a way for people to find means from the governments to help fund child care for working people.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I did a good deed today. I gave money to my church, or is that reparation for all the times I didn't do right with my church. Point is a deed can also be a form of payment. Another point, is that the US has and will continue to screw over many races. Just ask the Filipinos, Puerto Ricans, Native Americans, Africans, Chinese, Japanese, Mexicans, Israelis, Iraqis, Iranians, Cubans etc etc. If the USA really want to make amends for its evil past then we need to work toward the future to ensure that this part of history is never repeated. There is not enough money in the world to make up for our injustices and it would also be irresponsible for us to pay for the sins of our ancestors.

I could not have said it better myself
*Starred*

Some people here are just too Pro-Black or just too Pro-White

These "reparations" and "deeds" that Obama is talking about not only applies to Blacks and Native American it also benefits the community as a whole. The past is the past and we must move on so the future can be better not only for Blacks or Native American's but for all the future generations(Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, Asian, Native American's etc) to come.

Also I don't agree with "reparations" as in checks/money to any type of race or group just because their ancestors were segregated or mistreated.
People are too EMO these days

[edit on 1-8-2008 by apk4o7mxb]

[edit on 1-8-2008 by apk4o7mxb]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
You know what, We do need to move on! I do not think anyone will forget our past failures as an attempted perfect society. Besides, what is that? Does anyone know? No you do not.

We are continually as humans trying to define and work on that. I mean what the hell do you think all these wars and fighting is about? Humans are struggling to make the next step to another type of society, because our technology and understanding is going to provide that. (unless we kill ourselves off through stupidity)

what is this crap about "deeds" it is a bit late unless someone has a time machine. What's done is done. It is about what you do today.

We really need to get off living in the past and start living for now, today and plan for tomorrow. Clearly remember the past, use it to guide us, but, I have had enough of this issue, as far as I am concerned when the ships from our neighbors decide to fly over and let everyone on earth know how weak we really are (i'm talking full disclosure & proof) every human will feel a wee bit closer to each other. That might just be the beginning of something special.

C1

[edit on 1-8-2008 by Caliwowly1]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
The evils of slavery have been acknowledged many times over now.

IT IS TIME TO GET OVER IT. NOBODY ALIVE NOW WAS A SLAVE THEN. GET OVER IT. IT DID NOT EFFECT ANYONE WHO IS ALIVE NOW. GROW UP AND GET A JOB. THE GRAVY TRAIN IS DONE.

Affirmative action and welfare were more than enough reparations. So what if a few white women were helped along the way. Both programs were predominantly enjoyed by Blacks. REPARATIONS MEANS "WE DON'T WANT WHITE PEOPLE ON OUR GRAVY TRAIN IT HAS TO BE ALL BLACK"

It doesn't get any more racist than somebody wanted to be paid for their skin color.

If reparations go through, then we must make all who intend to collect prove their ancestry and that they are directly descended from parents who were slaves in America and did not emigrate here after the slaves were freed.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join