It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama suggests reparations to blacks, Native Americans

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This has got to be THE most fruitful post for me.

During the entire thread, not one person spoke out seriously on the evils of slavery.

It was very evident throughout the entire thread that no one could speak ill of slavery, without their toungue planted firmly in their cheek.

What was so fruitful though, was finding all the anti-humans, who lurk on this board, and ignoring them.

I really can't tell you how refreshing it is to read ATS without all of scat strewn about by these wastes of space.

Thanks again for starting this thread OP!

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Perhaps no one seriously spoke out against the evils of slavery because that was not what the thread was about. It was about Obama's comment concerning deeds, not words, when it comes to slavery not the slavery itself, and what "deeds" means. I think you would be hard pressed to find many people, if any, on this board who would honestly support slavery.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

given the amount of people who actually believe the civil war was fought to end slavery, I'd have to disagree. Not once did anyone make the civil argument you just made.

Many on this thread are just social pariahs known as griefers. Go google that.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I thought we made ammends when we fought the civil war slavery was around since the begining of time and we put an end to it regardless of what the civil war was about it ended slavery

anyway i dont remember hearing Africans complain when they were whipping jews and making them build statues

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga
Many on this thread are just social pariahs known as griefers. Go google that.

No "griefers" here. Just people trying to wake you up to the harsh reality that what you are proposing is unrealistic, silly and never ever going to happen....ever. Get over it. Quit living in the past, live in the present, don't look behind you, make a nice world for yourself and move on. Be happy with what you've got. It could be worse. You could still be in Africa dying of AIDS; starving to death; or being hunted by another tribe with machetes. The blacks in America have it made compared to the blacks anywhere else in the world.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by BoondocSaint
I thought we made ammends when we fought the civil war slavery was around since the begining of time and we put an end to it regardless of what the civil war was about it ended slavery

anyway i dont remember hearing Africans complain when they were whipping jews and making them build statues

See this is exactly the ignorance I speak of.

This thought that the civil war made amends. And if African Americans would have been integrated into society at that point, perhaps we wouldn't have the racial issues we have today.

But Jim Crow laws made sure the Black man knew that his place in society was below everyone else. Are you familiar with Jim Crow?

btw, the Africans you speak of who whipped slaves were the rich egyptians. There are many different tribes in Africa, and the tribes which were looted for slaves were not from North Africa.

I suggest you read back up on that.

You see in Africa, it was common place to make slaves of prisoners. Many these "slaves" would eventually become part of a tribe, within their lifetime.

However what happened during the slave trade was a completely different thing. It not only used prisoners as labor, but bought and sold entire families as if they were cattle, breaking the families up many times. This included bashing the heads of the young in front of the parents or raping the parents in front of the young, so as to drive home the point that the slaves were not human in the least.

The African slave trade was the FIRST time in history that slavery was associated with a race.

Anyway, I've already spent too much time wasting energy on yet another troll.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
So what you are saying is the Jews never went through this in Ancient Rome.
You seem to forget the Jews were enslaved way, way longer than the Africans were enslaved in this country......they were thrown to lions and lots of other barbaric tortures...and today they are some of the most successful, wealthiest and respected people in the world. They have blended into society and are law abiding citizens. They don't riot when they don't get their way. They're not involved in drive-bys, execution killings or misogynistic music that glorifies violence and thug lifestyles. They won't attack you if you take a leisure stroll through their neighborhood. They're very smart and educated. They are aware of the horrors of their past, but they have moved on.....

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The word slave comes from the word slov see slovs were slaves for so long the became associated with slavery that was the first time slavery was associated with a race

no race of people form the chinese to the irish were immeditly assimilated into american society they all faced prejudice

and im sure the conquering tribes of africa were alot nicer then slave traders they were probally like hey guys come work for us i insist no i really insist

[edit on 2-8-2008 by BoondocSaint]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
RocknRoll:
Your post is funny. Your knowledge is very limited and on these people you share your country with. Hip-Hop reflects reality, as Ice Cube says if certain problems were addressed and he wasnt faced to live how he lived he would have nothing to say. Drive-bys, and the non-sense you speak of is the media. I bet you have never been to these places, met any of these people yet you have everything figured out. We can address acoholism in the streets but we for some reason do not target the white and asian owners or the government for allowing them to distribute it. Im from a city where the name has been stained by the media so I decline to state. On a regular major street every 4 lights=about 3 liquor stores, none of the stores ive been 9/10 of the stores are not owned by the same people who rent or buy the homes of that community. So do the math, and leave your computer every once and a while.
Its funny how you think we should leave it the pass but in the July 30th paper it stated the house apologizes on behalf of america for enslaving and placing jim crow laws on African-Americans. The white house doesnt seem to think we need to leave the past in the past.

For the 3rd time the first Africans that were on this soil were not SLAVES! plz read my post on pg. 2 and I think the other is on 4(egypt,libyans taught glyphs to natives) for a brief short post of True American History.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
no one was ever forced to do a drive by

[edit on 2-8-2008 by BoondocSaint]

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Originally posted by BoondocSaint

See this is exactly the ignorance I speak of.

This thought that the civil war made amends. And if African Americans would have been integrated into society at that point, perhaps we wouldn't have the racial issues we have today.

But Jim Crow laws made sure the Black man knew that his place in society was below everyone else. Are you familiar with Jim Crow?

btw, the Africans you speak of who whipped slaves were the rich egyptians. There are many different tribes in Africa, and the tribes which were looted for slaves were not from North Africa.

I suggest you read back up on that.

You see in Africa, it was common place to make slaves of prisoners. Many these "slaves" would eventually become part of a tribe, within their lifetime.

However what happened during the slave trade was a completely different thing. It not only used prisoners as labor, but bought and sold entire families as if they were cattle, breaking the families up many times. This included bashing the heads of the young in front of the parents or raping the parents in front of the young, so as to drive home the point that the slaves were not human in the least.

The African slave trade was the FIRST time in history that slavery was associated with a race.

Anyway, I've already spent too much time wasting energy on yet another troll.

So lets trace all descedants of all slaves through recorded human history, and make reparations. Empires and civilizations were built on slavery since the ancient civilization of Sumer.The Roman Empire consisted of 25% slaves by late republican era slaves in Rome itself outnumbered the citizens, Ancient Greece 30%. All different civilizations throughout history prospered from slavery. Not just blacks, all different ethnicities,. Portugal began importing slaves in 1441 from Mauritania ( NORTHERN AFRICA).

Over half of all white immigrants to Colonial America during the 17th and 18th centuries consisted of indentured servants. 100,000 slaves from the Cromwellian conquest of Ireland were dispered throughout "British America".

Past is past, If The blacks are entitled to some sort of reparation, then we could trace back alot of white americans millions by now whose great ancestors were as well slaves therefore they should recieve "reparations". Lets take the moral high ground and seek out AS many slaves as possible throughout history and offer some form of reparation. If reparations were to be made it should have been done to the actual slaves, 140 years later..... bull#. You should read up a bit on the history of slavery..

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Its funny how we mention reperations for blacks we tend to discredit the idea and by the end of the conversation we end up talking about other races. First and foremost I would like to state, No other enslavement of anyknid can even compare to the torture African-Americans faced. You cant tell me all these stories of different cultures and they still dont add up together maybe the mayans and incans. As a matter of fact, all of these cultures can tell you things of there past, they know their language, ancestory, tribal lineage. Africans were not even allowed to speak or write, and they couldnt learn English. They were forced to cook slop that in turn became a part of our culture"soul food", which led them to be the race with the highest rates of obesity, and heart disease. There was some knowledge that rained down from ages you wouldnt believe existed in , it only came to resurface after they so called "destroyed" or imo "translated"the books(PI,10planet solar system,map of the galaxy, recorded contacts, and calendar computers)

Your history begans like the books,false and illustrated with splendor, but true american history tells us the first Africans on American soil were not slaves.
Read pg 2 please. or my other post....
Knowledge is golden.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS
Its funny how we mention reperations for blacks we tend to discredit the idea and by the end of the conversation we end up talking about other races. First and foremost I would like to state, No other enslavement of anyknid can even compare to the torture African-Americans faced. You cant tell me all these stories of different cultures and they still dont add up together maybe the mayans and incans.

No other enslavement can compare to the torture of African-Americans? What other methods were they subjected to? Torture is torture, persecution is persecution, you can't prove that african americans were subjected to more torture than any other group. Tell me how they were faced worse than other slaves? Your Saying that the non black slaves of all civilizations in history were treated better than black slaves... thats quite the assumption.

As a matter of fact, all of these cultures can tell you things of there past, they know their language, ancestory, tribal lineage. Africans were not even allowed to speak or write, and they couldnt learn English. They were forced to cook slop that in turn became a part of our culture"soul food", which led them to be the race with the highest rates of obesity, and heart disease. There was some knowledge that rained down from ages you wouldnt believe existed in , it only came to resurface after they so called "destroyed" or imo "translated"the books(PI,10planet solar system,map of the galaxy, recorded contacts, and calendar computers)

Your history begans like the books,false and illustrated with splendor, but true american history tells us the first Africans on American soil were not slaves.
Read pg 2 please. or my other post....
Knowledge is golden.

Your post is kind of all over the place and confusing, you haven't posted a source , or any factual evidence/statistics on your speculation. Brazil received one of the largest amounts of African slaves out of all of the countries in the Americas and today has the largest population of people of African descent of any country outside of Africa.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS
They were forced to cook slop that in turn became a part of our culture"soul food", which led them to be the race with the highest rates of obesity, and heart disease.

Reparations for "Africans" is a joke.... Osama needs to go back to Chicage and play some hoops.

Typical "African" b.s. here from AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS though. Blame white America for everything from the crime rates of the black man to the food they eat. How about cleaning up the cities you own? That would be a good start. Every inner city in America is a cess pool of crime and slums. How is that the white mans fault when your people are the ones that drive us out? Its not Economic white flight. Its white flight from the animals that live there.

As an example we have Farmer Jack that closed here in Metro Detroit. Kroger bought most stores but the ones in the inner city they decided to not buy into. They looked at the profit and loss and decided they could not make a profit due to the blacks robbing and stealing from the stores.

Of course the blacks cried racism but in the end they don't have any really shopping centers in Detroit anymore. Now they must invade my neighborhood to buy food. The difference here is they are tossed out of the stores if they act up. If the persist they are beat down and tossed in jail as they should be.

"Africans" need to either clean up their own mess or get on the boat out of America. AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS, we are not the problem. Your people are the problem and I will not pay for the mistakes of your past. Your father sold you into slavery for a quick buck not mine...

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
Perhaps no one seriously spoke out against the evils of slavery because that was not what the thread was about. It was about Obama's comment concerning deeds, not words, when it comes to slavery not the slavery itself, and what "deeds" means. I think you would be hard pressed to find many people, if any, on this board who would honestly support slavery.

Your Arrows shoot straight and pierce the heart of darkness

Star 4u

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
As badly as the Blacks were treated and still are treated.
their plight has been a walk in the park compared to that of the American Native

REparations for the American Natives are way past overdue .

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by aLinkToThePast

This guy actually justifies slavery.

I seriously cannot believe how nonchalant these people are about slavery

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

We should stop whining about the past and start worrying about what little future we have. Our government is blatently raping the public of it's monies and the grandest scale in history, and there is no one trying to stop them. Wake up America. You better catch up with what is happening TODAY and start preparing for the future. There might not be much of it left. Obama is just another politician. They will say anything they think you want to hear to get in office.

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by eric52081

Let's see where this will go after all races, creeds, and cultures decide they too want reparations. For example, my white ancestors in Europe were slaves and there were plenty of slaves for Rome and Egypt long before that; and before that etc... Can we bring it back as far as the dinosuars and give them a little something to? I'm a white slave to our government right now as I work 36 hours a month just for them... who can I cry to for reparations for all my stolen tax dollars?

posted on Aug, 2 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
What sources do I have? Go to school this is common knowledge not a blue sky mars theory.
Typical African B.S., Wow, you can tell none of you have ever left your room, and traveled to a local library. But since your racist you wouldnt have any intention on learning about True American History. For the 4th or 5th time the first Africans on American soil were not slaves. Free Africans sailed to yes Brazil, Puerto Rico(Boriquen where the word boriqua derives), and all over the Americas. Free Africans, owned plantations along side Europeans, and even Natives. African plantations were bombed and they were enslaved and this where your limited history comes in with the slave ships and the great enslavement. No one seems to coment on my little acoholism theory, I dont need anykind of proof because I actually walked those streets.
That is ignorant to say they need to build ships and go back when this is their land as much as it is yours (euro descendant). African-Americans imo displayed the constitutions real colour. American citizens marched just because they were being treated unfair and Police officers think that its cool to let their dogs bite them. The very people who are demonstrating the real American vision/dream and alot of these activist were marching alonside whites so that tells you, it was just people misrepresenting the American Way kind of like most of you. So rethink and recreate your thought process because
'Injustice anywhere is a threat to Justice everywhere' spoken by a true American, King Jr.
Im not racist so unlike you, my intention is not to degrade or disrespect a culture that I apparently no nothing about. If you dont know or understand African-Americans dont rely on the media to tell you anything real. These are the same people that misinform us about space, deny anomolies over the atlantic, and other credible issues, they misinform us so...
Pick up a book, google can only cover about 1/10 of what I have read, or witnessed...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join