It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008 NFL Season Thread

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I cant wait for Football season...

I think the Pats can go 19-0 this year...

Think about it, firgure how pissed they were last year, how ever week it was a show, a beatdown...

Beating people in real life how i beat them in Madden...

They still have moss, and brady... thats all they need

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

There's no way. Pissed or not, no way they go undefeated in the regular season, much less 19-0.

I say they go 12-4/13-3. Somewhere around there.

An undefeated regular season has happened twice in 42 NFL seasons. There's no way a team, Patriots or not, does it back to back years.

They'll have one of the biggest declines in the NFL this year in terms of wins last year compared to this year, but only because they went 16-0. They'll still win their division and probably the conference.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
favre to vikings? that's shoo-in in NFC north, and maybe the superbowl.
vikings defense is one of the most beastly i've seen in years. and if Adrian peterson was 3/4 as good as he was last year. 2,000 yards from scrim is not impossible.
purple is this year's champ's color

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by beastamerica

Yeah smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Favre isn't going to the Vikings, and the Vikings aren't going to the Super Bowl.

The Packers are still the team to beat in that division.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

ha that's not what i've heard recently mr commish...

are you saying the packs still the favorite even without favre?
i'm not really into the aaron-wagon, too much expectations will be this kid's waterloo. but i like the fact that the greens are one play away from the big thing last year, and they look good, if not better this year. jordy will be top WR for them for a long time. and that ryan grant guy is for real.

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I'm not on Aaron's bandwagon either, but the rest of the team is good enough to win that division.

The Packers aren't going to release Favre, and thats the only way he could play for Minnesota, because they aren't going to trade him inside the division.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
ah the drama continues:
now green bay is willing to pay favre $20 million payable in 10 years just for him to stay retired (this means he can't sign up to any other teams in 10 years?)
but favre's agent says that's not what favre's want to do now. Brett now wants to attend training camp and compete for starting QB position.

aw my wishful thinking is he plays with vikings.
or tampa.
or jets.
or bills.
i just wanna see him play this season.
(i drafted him in many of my fantasy team)

edit: news link not working

sports.yahoo.com...;_ylt=AhzUzxFBw2taYhRU2LDqchQ5nYcB

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 31-7-2008 by beastamerica]

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

The deal is $20 million to stay retired permanently. Favre declined.

I can only see him playing for one of three teams this season: Green Bay, Tampa Bay and New York Jets.

Minnesota is impossible. I would bet anything that he never plays for Minnesota.

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi

The deal is $20 million to stay retired permanently. Favre declined.

I can only see him playing for one of three teams this season: Green Bay, Tampa Bay and New York Jets.

Minnesota is impossible. I would bet anything that he never plays for Minnesota.

edit: omg my links are not working right today.

umm mr commish. if favre gets shipped to vikings, lemme have the 1st pick of the draft

news: favre to division rivals vikings or bears?

[edit on 31-7-2008 by beastamerica]

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   

That wouldn't be fair to others. I'll give myself the last pick of the round if he goes to Minnesota.

Deal?

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Hey, you two quit working in colusion... no pick fixing!

And bad news... Farve says he wants to play in the NFC North, weather or not he is in the Packers...

This situation literaly gets worse by the day...

At this point, the Packers deserve to have Farve go to CHI or MIN and beat the Pack several times... And after Arron Rodgers gets hurt his first game, the Pack will be in turmoil, and the Team will have to Move to LA...

Hey, i can dream right...

And on the Pats... I watched Nearly every Pats game last year, that team is insanly good, and insanely well coached, and the ENTIRE team has a displine that NO other team realy has...

TO go 19-0 is harder then anything.. but this team is going to be the best team on the field everytime they are on the feild...

Just remember, if Kid Manning doesnt break a tackle(which the ref could have VERY EASLY blown the whisle on), or the Gaints 4th string reciver doesnt catch the Pass with his helmet, or Asante Samual doesnt drop the game-ending Interception the play before the PLAY...

NE would have won...

Instead, the football gods made thier point, and NE lost...

This year, they will be just as pissed, and Just as talented...

They Might not break EVERY OFFENSIVE NFL record again... but they have a decent chance to win every game...

Thier division is Totaly garabage... They might get more wins then the Rest of the division combined, AGAIN....

And i am not a Pats Fan, but i did own Moss and Brady in Fantasy last year...

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Hall of Fame Game: Colts vs Redskins

The Redskins defeated the Colts 30-16 in the Hall of Fame Game.

I didn't watch the whole game, but what I did see of it, I thought the rookie QB for the Redskins, Colt Brennan, looked great. He finished 9 of 10 for 123 yards, 2 TDs and 0 INTs.

He throws a great ball too. Perfect spiral.

I think if he keeps this up, Jason Campbell may want to watch his job. I think he's safe this season given that Brennan is a rookie and we're so close to the season, but if he continues to get better, next season may be the one to watch for you Redskins fans out there.

Week 1 Preseason Schedule

Here's the rest of the Week 1 Preseason Schedule:

August 8th
New York Giants at Detroit - 7 PM
Baltimore at New England - 7:30 PM
New York Jets at Cleveland - 7:30 PM
New Orleans at Arizona - 8 PM (ESPN)
Kansas City at Chicago - 8 PM

August 9th
Philadelphia at Pittsburgh - 7:30 PM
Seattle at Minnesota - 8 PM
San Francisco at Oakland - 10 PM

August 10th
Buffalo at Washington - 7 PM
Tampa Bay at Miami - 7:30 PM
Atlanta at Jacksonville - 7:30 PM
Indianapolis at Carolina - 7:30 PM
Denver at Houston - 8 PM
St. Louis at Tennessee - 8 PM
Dallas at San Diego - 10 PM

August 11th
Cincinnati at Green Bay - 8 PM (ESPN)

The Latest in Green Bay

Brett Favre was reinstated and flew to Green Bay Sunday Night. He will be activated and put on the Packers roster. He will get a physical and conditioning test, and will undergo some individual practices rather than team practices, at least to start.

Mike McCarthy and Brett Favre are supposed to be having a one on one meeting at 7:30 Monday night. McCarthy says that based on that, the Packers will make a final decision about their direction to move forward. Translation: they will decide whether to keep Rodgers as the starter and trade Favre, or hold a QB competition.

In his press conference Sunday, he kind of hinted at the Packers now not being so sure about Rodgers definitely being the starter. He is now, it seems, basing his final decision on that meeting and how it turns out, which is good news.

They showed some clips of Packers camp on ESPN Sunday night and it showed Rodgers throwing bad passes. What a shock. So I'm hoping that they may be reconsidering their pride and ego driven decision to move forward with Rodgers as the starter, without competition.

As Adam Schefter said, a trade is becoming increasingly unlikely. Teams will be getting less and less enthusiastic about bringing a media circus to their team, and paying 12 million a year, for possibly only one year, to do it. Not to mention as time goes on, it becomes less likely that Favre, if traded, would be able to learn the playbook in time for the season. Then you have to factor in chemistry issues.

I think this situation may become a little more dramatic before it gets any better.

But, McCarthy said that after his meeting with Favre Monday night, he will address the team on the final decision, and then will address the media. I don't remember if he said when he would announce the result of that meeting, but my guess would be either Tuesday or Wednesday.

You can find the Adam Schefter and Mike McCarthy clip on NFL.com under the Video section.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
The Latest in Green Bay

Brett Favre was reinstated and flew to Green Bay Sunday Night. He will be activated and put on the Packers roster. He will get a physical and conditioning test, and will undergo some individual practices rather than team practices, at least to start.

Okay, I get the whole "I still want to play thing" with Favre, but did this just happen today?.....

Madden '09

If not, it's a freakin' EA Sports conspiracy!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaiser Sohse

Nope. I remember that back in April or so when they first revealed the cover. He had already retired.

So no, thats not a new development.

However, I am worried about the Madden Curse. It seems anyone on the cover of the game has a bad season, or something to that effect.

EDIT: to add Madden Curse

[edit on 8/5/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Is that right! Interesting. Usually the cover of the game is donned by a superstar at the height of their game, not a player that has retired. Is there precedent for this?

One possibility is that this was an effort by EA to break the Madden curse! By putting a player on the cover that wasn't going to play, no curse could be realized!

But alas, the prophecy must be fulfilled, and so continues the soap opera that is the Green Bay Packers.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
BREAKING NEWS! Brat Favre to ATLANTA FALCONS!

I'm just kidding.
Falcons actually drafted brat favre 200 years ago.
sigh...
the drama continues...

we will know by tomorrow if Brat Favre will have a new PURPLE Jersey (L.A. Lakers)

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
What a disgrace this has turned out to be. I predicted he would be starting for Green Bay, and it looks like I'm wrong.

But I was right that this would get more dramatic before it got better

I'm on Brett's side on this. I hope he can move on to a new team and succeed and prove the Green Bay management wrong.

I'm a Green Bay fan all the way and that'll never change, but I can't put in to words how pissed I am at Green Bay management. They absolutely screwed this up.

Ted Thompson needs to go.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

My love for the Packers is slowly being silenced until there is a front office overhaul. I have no respect for these guys. If Brett goes to the Bucs, I'd love to see them win it all and stick it to the Packers. As odd as this may seem, I won't necessarily turn my back on them. I'll always love them. But they are too damn proud and they're sacrificing the success of this team.

Teddy needs to go bye bye.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Well, there's a difference between being angry at the team and being angry at upper management. This isn't the players fault. Its the upper management.

The business side of it, basically. As usual.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The players are in a tough situation.

Most of them are young and haven't been there half as long as Brett has, and anyone who respects him the way the fans do, can't stand behind someone who might be throwing the ball for another team. What would that do to the relationship with the current quarterback?

I don't fault the players, but the organization right now is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth.

It doesn't help that they're playing hardball with Ryan Grant either. (Or did they sign him yet?)

Pushing your best QB out the door and playing tough with your only other legitimate offensive threat. What exactly is management attempting to accomplish?

It's like the Major League movies. The owners are our management and they're trying to screw the team over.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join