It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2008 NFL Season Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Now the Coach of the Packers is saying that Farve ISNT going to be the starter...

Apaerently, there was Open competition for one day...

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

That's my main problem with it. Why can't he even have a shot at being the starting QB? If Rodgers out performs him, I'd support him to the fullest extent. But I just feel that something is being stolen here from Favre and the fans who have supported this team for so long.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Thats exactly how I feel. I mean, the goal is to put out there who is best for your team, right? If Rodgers is truly the best for this team, that will show in competition. If he's not, its still a win win because you're still putting the best guy out there.

And I don't really understand why they're afraid to trade Brett Favre. If Rodgers is the best QB, then why should it matter? He's going to beat Brett Favre no matter what, right? And if he isn't, why are we talking about trading him?

Its just a lot of contradictions on the part of upper management who clearly wants Brett Favre gone. And thats just wrong. I can't tell you how much that pisses me off.

Its like Ted Thompson is working for another team.

And yes, Ryan Grant resigned. Four years, $30 million or something like that.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

In fewer words or so, management is telling the fans that Favre is the best QB.. but they just don't want him. They don't explain why, they don't promote Rodgers.. they just say we don't want him.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
This is realy killing the Pack FanBase...

I mean, only the hardcore are following football at this time of year...

And if you allinate the Hardcore, GB is done for...

Now, on the possibility that the GB franchise goes brankrupt, there is a nice home for you in LA...

Come on.. LA... come to LA...

LA needs football...

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Ha ha! You 2 are hilarious!

A single game has yet to be played, and you Pack-attics are calling for the severed head of the GM.

Let me give you some insight from two separate views (1 as an outsider, of course, and one as a 49er fan):

C'mon dudes, get a grip already. There are a couple of things you can't lose touch of here: 1, you were already heading into this season Favre-less, so to now be so upset is absolutely ridiculous....nothing lost/nothing gained....except however, if he ends up playing for another team?

Where is the harm in this I ask? None, nada, zilch, squat, etc. Except of course to that of a Packer fan's ego which believes that BF should be a Packer forever.

Well, that's sweet and all, but guess what, he wore a different color before the gaucamole and cheddar, and he'll wear another color after. Long gone says me are the days where our cowboys ride off into the sunset.

Now, if he's in that other uniform and he happens to swing on by and drop a whoopin' on you, well yeah, I been there, and that hurts sumthin' fierce. But it goes away after a while, and then you're good.

But is Aaron Rodgers another Steve Young? Doubt it. There will never be another Steve Young. Just like there will never be another Joe Montana, and of course, there will never be another Brett Favre.

I say it is hardly fair to criticize Packer Mgmnt for moving on, and moving forward with Aaron Rodgers, because sometimes, no, MOST times, saying goodbye to the past ushers in a brand spanking new sparkling experience.

So I say let's just let AR be AR because afterall, he did grow up a Forty Niner fan!

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaiser Sohse

Is the goal to put the best players on the field?

If so, who is better, Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers?

I don't buy this "we moved in a different direction" BS. Nothing happened that they couldn't plug Brett Favre in to the starting QB position.

They didn't radically change their offense. They didn't radically change personnel. There wasn't going to be chemistry issues.

All that happened was a press conference. Brett Favre hasn't been retired for three years and had the itch to come back. Brett Favre isn't out of shape. Brett Favre isn't a different player than he was just seven months ago.

All that happened was a press conference. A press conference doesn't affect a player's ability to play, and it doesn't create a logical excuse to shove your most legendary player out the door.

Mike McCarthy can say he's "one of 80" all he wants, but thats simply not true. You don't treat Brett Favre the same way you would treat Jarrett Bush.

If Favre had been retired for a season, or had wanted to come back mid-season, I would understand where the Packers are coming from. But that isn't the case. He indicated he wanted to come back before training camp even started. So please, anyone, tell me what the hell happened between March and July that was so serious that he couldn't POSSIBLY be plugged in to that starting line up?

Or is this about not hurting Aaron Rodgers' feelings? Or not hurting Ted Thompson's pride, who has wanted Favre gone for the last few years?

This isn't simply "moving in a different direction". This was dirty business carried out by the Green Bay management to shove arguably the greatest QB, and possibly the most respected and liked player in NFL history out the door.

Thats not excusable. They all need to lose their jobs (and when I say "they", I'm not necessarily talking about Mike McCarthy, although he's pushing it).

Then they can go work for Minnesota and eliminate the competition.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I don't have any links but I've heard that a deal between Green Bay and Tampa Bay is almost final and could be complete within the next few hours.

I don't know the details of the deal but apparently both the Jets and the Bucs made offers, and the Jets made the better offer, but the Packers let Brett choose and he chose the Bucs.

I don't know how true any of this is yet but thats what I'm hearing.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
but the Packers let Brett choose and he chose the Bucs.

Thats the part i didn't hear...

And IF true, then thats the first nice thing the Pack have done for him...

I think that mabye the Bucs could turn around and trade him to the Viks...

This situation is crazy

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Yeah I heard some initial report on Houston radio and thats what it said, but I haven't heard it since. What I'm hearing now, on ESPN and NFL Network, is that Green Bay wants to send him to New York and Brett Favre is leaning towards Tampa Bay.

So once again, the Packers are insulting Brett Favre and being defiant. Its like they don't want this to end, and they want to piss Favre off as much as they possibly can.

I hope he goes to Tampa Bay and I hope the Packers lose in Week 4. I hope Tampa Bay wins the Super Bowl, if Brett Favre goes to them, too.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Its being reported that Farve is heading to the Jets....

uh-huh...

Is that were he stays?

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
J
E
T
S
K
I

yeah its being confirmed. um broadway brett, why go to the NE Patriots division? you won't beat the pats in 10 years.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

He'll stay

And beast, they'll beat the Patriots at least once this year. I'm going to give my "guarantee" on that.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Has preseason been pretty boring or is it just me?

I can't wait until the regular season. I got season tickets for the Texans!

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Has the pre-season ever been anything but boring? I think it's way too long and is in desperation to be shortened. But that's just me.

You have season tickets to the Texans? Congrats to you. First year with them?

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Good point about preseason being boring. I'm not sure why they market it. Its really just for the coaches anyway. Its like televising a full contact practice.

Yeah, it is way too long. I say two games tops, and give the other two games to the regular season. It'd be a good business decision for the NFL as well. Most places don't sell out preseason games. Most places do sell out regular season games. So you get that much more revenue, times two additional games.

Preseason is just an unnecessary opportunity for players to get hurt.

And yeah, this is my first year. I don't know if every team does this, but they do a lottery every year where they randomly pick 50 people off the waiting list and move them to the front. My dad and I were picked. We just signed on to the waiting list this year, too, so it was pretty lucky.

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
Has preseason been pretty boring or is it just me?

Well...

I watched the 4th quarter of the Carolina-Phily Game, where Phily scored 24 in the 4th to beat Carolina...

THAT wasnt boring...

Then there was the Giants-Browns game, which had this catch

Which undoubtably goes in my book of TOP catches in the NFL EVER... definatly in the top 15...

In total, i haven't watched more then 20 mins of Preseason football...

But ive seen some NICE action...

Or mabye its because i live near SanFransicko, and am subjected to a weekly double headers featuring the 49er's and Raiders...

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hall of Famer Upshaw loses battle with pancreatic cancer

A sad story...

Not sure if it deserves its own thread...
I think we can cover it in here...

Im saddened to see him go...

I have had MANY fond draft memories listening to him call out the picks from round 2 on...

Source

[edit on 8/21/2008 by TKainZero]

posted on Aug, 21 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
AWWWWW Yeahuhh Son.

Now there is some hope for the New York Jets.

They got Favre and released Pennington. I have been waiting on this for so long.

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Week 1 Schedule

Thursday, September 4th
Washington: 7 at New York Giants: 16 FINAL

Sunday, September 7th
Seattle at Buffalo 1:00 PM EST
Tampa Bay at New Orleans 1:00 PM EST
New York Jets at Miami 1:00 PM EST
Houston at Pittsburgh 1:00 PM EST
Jacksonville at Tennessee 1:00 PM EST
Detroit at Atlanta 1:00 PM EST
Kansas City at New England 1:00 PM EST
Cincinnati at Baltimore 1:00 PM EST
St. Louis at Philadelphia 1:00 PM EST
Arizona at San Francisco 4:15 PM EST
Carolina at San Diego 4:15 PM EST
Dallas at Cleveland 4:15 PM EST
Chicago at Indianapolis 8:15 PM EST

Monday, September 8th
Minnesota at Green Bay 7:00 PM EST
Denver at Oakland 10:15 PM EST

Washington-New York Giants

Washington looked awful in that game. Outside of a couple drives and a few good plays here and there, they couldn't move the ball at all.

The Giants drove down the field on the first possession but couldn't really do much after that except kick field goals.

It was a pretty boring game to tell you the truth.

And I don't like how they have one game to kick off the season and then it feels like you have to wait another ten years before the rest of the games are played. At the very least they should have the kick off game on Saturday.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join