It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Survivalists.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Umm...

Huh...

A surviaval on for females?

Are the survial tactics that diffrent for the diffrent sexs? I mean, are you going to make tampons out of tree bark? Is that why this is for females only?

Keep the Intrest in survial... lose the sexism...

Or is that what they are teaching these days at Oxford... to be proper and sexist...

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

The fact of the matter is survival is different for males and females. To be honest in my opinion the tone of your post is very condescending and insulting. The OP came here seeking help and advise from experienced survivalist and you greet her with sarcasm and rudeness.

Why what is the purpose? We are all stuck on this rock together.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by angryamerican]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I skipped a few pages of posts,so I will apologise ahead of time if I have repeated anyone.I am already a surviorlist,I am an independant woman raising a child on my own.I wear so manny hats that I could be a jugler in a circus! lol I have been stock piling food,paper goods,cooking gear(incl.a cookbook for living in the wild)I have been mentalaly prepareing my 10 yr.old daughter for things to come while keeping her childhood as normal and carefree as possible,as it should be.I am also looking into getting involved w/a local malisha(sp)? group.I know about weapons,but I am rather rusty! I don't think there really is any safe place to go,so I plan to keep us as mobile as possible;if it comes to that.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Anyone who thinks women are not capable of doing and taking care of themselves obviously do not think much of them and are quite ignorant of human nature in general.

People who so ignorant that they can't even see the strangths in others are not fit to lead anyone in situation X as this is a waste of resources.

"Ug. You women. sweep cave floor. cook dinner"

"but I have extensive knowledge of botany and can tell you what plants are edible, poisonous and medicinal. I also know how to read animal tracks, find water and can use the sun to tell what direction we're heading.."

"me not listen. you woman. useless."

All women should get some sort of self defence training.. ideally they'd be raised with it. If not running and hiding isn't hard to do. As for everything else.. having [on average] less strength than a man doesn't stop her from being able to build, hunt, find water or chop firewood.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by riley]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I learned self defense back in high school it was called soccer so I always kick the balls around. I even trained my small dog shadow when strange men are around go for the balls. When they tell me who they are and why they are here I tell the dog he can spit them out cause he doesnt know where they have been.

If worse comes to worse for us women we can always remember the old saying "A woman can run faster with her skirt up then a man can with his pants down." Hey it works for me.

Hilda

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

Apparently that is what you are being taught.
And moss works far better than tree bark.
ONLY a survivalist WOMAN would know that.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I imagine using tree bark as a tampon would be somewhat painful. Moss would lead to alot less cuts and splinters..

Tree bark (esp paper/stringy bark in aus) can be good for cooking meat, fish and I think could make an okay compress.

edited to be more concise.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by riley]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I would also like to get together with some fellow Survivalists, and spend some time "pretending.." However, i am not very comfortable with meeting up with some people on the internet, as not everyone is as Honest as I would like to believe...even on ATS... However, the idea of EVERYONE being armed, does sound better...

I'm in Alberta Canada, there aren't many of us around here who actually Believe in SitX, or in the possibility of it...

- Carrot

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
We all have our strengths and weaknesses,as a collective we are strong if we band togeather in small groups and work as whole.Look at vietnom,they kicked our butt! Why? because they worked separatly,but as whole.It isn't much different in the war now.We have all the weapons,but can't find all these bad guys in caves,w/no more than a few AK47's,and a will to live!It's there home turf,who knows it better?One day it's going to be our own backyard,are we going to be able to keep it? I dunno know,but I will fight for it!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Tree Bark can be used for what???
wildwoodsurvival.com...

www.wikihow.com...

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
You women can have your survival groups if the crap hits the fans just dont forget to hit us men up once in awhile when it comes time to keep the human race going

Hilar one woman in a survival group of man could either be really scary or really fun

Women do have higher pain tolerance no doubt about that I just find in a real situation without some men around it would be hard to survive. I think we all have our purposes when it comes to survival but anymore because we are not in that situation the purposes are kind of fogged up right now.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Oh, as a note;a long time ago a bunch of us were in the woods,a place none of us was familar with. So to find and mark our way back I tied unused tampons to trees! It was dark,and I NEVER heard a complaint on our way back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beammeup

Best survival tip ever..
Learn to use conventional things in unconventional ways.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Oddly enough When I read survivalist threads I have no concept of the poster being male or female unless they say something.

Personally, I have single handedly built a lot of my house (not just small things - the last bit was a 60ft fully covered verandah that was happily signed off by the building inspector), I read a lot about building, electricity, engineering ect and know that my knowledge will be helpful, even if our SitX is a depression.

Right now I'm making a couple of the solar generators which I love the idea of. Plus I've got my 21ft boat fitted out, I have a great garden that supports me & my dog for most of the year, oh and my Bullmastiff is an exceptional guard dog.

Man, it just sucks being a single woman in NZ

I love the idea of women learning more about surviving, but it actually often shocks me how little the guys around me know about it.

Guess it depends who you talk to

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by hildarI even trained my small dog shadow when strange men are around go for the balls. When they tell me who they are and why they are here I tell the dog he can spit them out cause he doesnt know where they have been.

One of your first lines of defense is endangering your small dog by having it attack large human males? Ugh. Guess you don't care much about little Fido. Yeah sure they are great at barking, but little dogs don't stand a chance against a nut that weighs 200 lbs.

If you want to be a survivalist you had best learn to defend yourself, you live in North Carolina where gun laws are liberal and weapons are easy to obtain. Putting little dogs in danger like that is just not right.

Edit even large dogs need owners that will watch out for them and not intentionally put them in harms way when the owner can handle the defense; if the attacker has a knife or other weapon the dog is going to get hurt or dead.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by beammeup

I don't think the OP was excluding men,I know I wasn't.I believe it was a plea to unite,to help our men and our familys to work togeather.Self suffenchy(sp sp?), is a rarity.Manny people have never slepted under the stars,much less than in a tent! So how do we as women learn to become the gathers while the men learn to be the hunters,and can lear to swap roles?WE THE PEOPLE.....mustwork togeather for a united whole.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

I wasn't referring to sex predators or serial killers.
I was talking about survival in a hostile environment, how many people that you just met, be they male or female, would you trust with your life? How many would risk their necks for you, in case of an accident?
That was why I recommended professional survival organizations, with years of establish reputation. An since she lives in Oxford, some of the best in the world are just a few miles away from her home...

There are so many agencies out there that offer "survival in the wild" vacations that you don't kneed to go "out into the woods" with strangers that, in the best case scenario, know as much about survival then I do about knitting.

With a professional organization you have all the benefits and few of the risks:

-You wont risk meeting some deranged people that could harm you, or at least no give a damn if you happen to have an accident...
-You wont meet a bunch of urban depresses idiots that will give up after the first night out and go running back to their hotels...
-You wont meet a bunch of adventure seekers that know as much about survival then you do and that, not only are incapable of teaching you anything, but will probably get you lost, hurt or killed due to their ignorance.

-You will get a full, and rewarding, experience with some of the worlds best survival teachers, thus really learning how to survive off the land.
-You will have access to fast emergency services in case something should go wrong, and let's face sometime it does. You also have medical insurance, when purchasing said vacation (it's always useful in case of an injury that requires hospitalization).
-You will, at least in her case, since she lives in Oxford, learn all about the fauna and flora of your "backyard", the place you will be if something happens and you need to survive. Let's face it, it's almost useless to take a survival course in Sweden if you happen to live in Mexico. You kneed a survival course in a place with a similar ecosystem to the won where you will most probably be if the proverbial sh** hits the fan.

Above all, you need a party of people that know much more then you do, otherwise it's not survivalist, it's a camping trip, at best, where everybody starts leaving with the first mosquito bites........

Stay safe, learn from the pros!

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Chewlip Have you looked into to joining a group such as the Girl Scouts? I don't know what kind of organizations you folks across the pond have of this nature just thought I'd chime in incase it hasn't been mentioned already..

You might not learn extreme survival skills in one of these groups but it will get you headed in the general direction.

Spend some weekends camping in family oriented campsites. Campers will share with you. Not just knowledge but their food and supplies as well at least in my experience.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
Um are you serious? Are you for real? That is the most sexiest thing I have ever read. Talk about a stereo type. please step out of the cave and into the modern world.

To the OP I sorry for even posting in your thread. it seems I as a male opened a door for other males to come in and spread BS. I am sorry.

Yes, it may be "the most sexist thing I have ever read", but it also has the unfortunate fact of being true. "Equality" of the sexes ONLY develops in societies that are mostly free from outside threats. 10,000 years of human history shows that.

Wishing, hoping, and saying women are equal in a survival situation doesn't make it so. Name ONE society that rose above grass huts when it was run by women. Can you name even ONE?

When TSHTF, "equal" women in America are going to find out that the "equality" goes right out the window. And boy are they ever going to be in for a shock when it happens.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
This is a very good thread, glad to see it posted. My suggestion to the lady would be to seek out not just females to start a group with. Attempt to find couples, families who would be willing to start an organization with you. This way you have males around to help if things get rough but you still have females there to even out the balance and not make you feel weirded out.

Survival can be hard and for some women it will be nearly impossible yet there are some who will do just as good as any man. As for the men, there are some who like the women will fail at survival. There needs to be a balance so that one gender can rely on the other. This is the only sensible solution to creating a survival group that will make it. If our world or country goes down it will take groups with lots of different skills, one to compliment the other.

Youre doing a great job by bringing this up and I wish you the best of luck on it. Make sure that your first encounter with any person, couple or group is a public meeting. Have more than 10 people on hand before you adventure out into the wild to test your skills. Remember there is safety in numbers because threats can be on both sides of the fence if you know what I mean.

I am myself a country boy so feel free to ask me any questions you may have on outdoors survival. I have been there - done that.

I dunno if this violates any rules but I will include an email address here, maybe it wont be spammed to death. If this is a violation of forum rules then admins may remove the addy. [email protected]
I will help with what I can, keep up the good work!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join