Female Survivalists.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Not saying I want anything in particular to happen haha, but.... If there is a chance of something I will be excited to test my survival skills. I am a 5'2 24 yr old, that most people think is 16 but anyways, I was raised like the little boy my dad never got, haha, and I AM thankful. I am a avid bow hunter, fisher, natural herb grower for medicinal use, and love a challenge in the wilderness. My best advice is "Don't judge the outside of a package, until you know what's on the inside."

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The best way to start is just be outside, spend the night out there, cook some beans in the can over the fire with a pork chop or whatever and just feel the nature. I gotta be honest though you can only learn so much inside.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

That is a good point. That can be very bad for a women and in the long run can cause serious problems if its not taken care of. My wife had a chronic problem with it for years.

About 8 months ago she had some ovarian cyst removed. not a single infection sense then. her OBGYN said she has seen that before. she has no idea how the two are linked but in her experience they are.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Crap, I get them all the time... I need to get that checked out now
I have been trying to find out if there are any herbs or plants that could treat the symptoms of a yeast infection. I haven't found any so far. That to me would be one of the worst things that could happen because of the extreme discomfort, if I couldn't find anything to ease my pain I would ask for someone to take me out of my misery.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
This is a great thread and I'm glad you posted since there are obviously a lot of women who are interested in this topic.

Remember that knowledge is power but waiting until you are in a survival situation is the wrong time to practice. Your should train like you fight and then you will fight like you have trained. There is a wealth of books out there dealing with surviving. Some of the best that I have found are the SAS handbooks. They cover a lot of topics from how to build a fire, get clean water, what plants are safe and which to avoid. Since you're from the UK I'm assuming your access to a firearm is restricted, so also learning about fashioning weapons to protect yourself is also a must skill.

As for meeting up with a bunch of folks calling themselves survivalists, be very careful for two reasons. The first is obvious the second is that some of these groups are actually government operations to identify dissenters. People get in then get busted for being "homegrown terrorists" when the reason they joined the group was for completely different reasons.

I encourage you to do your homework, prepare then practice.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

Have you tried the old method of natural yoghurt - I've always relied on good old canesten but I do believe regular sufferers find it very helpful. I believe the bacteria in the yoghurt help keep the yeast overgrowth under conrol. I think it works both if taken orally and applied topically i.e. in your "Alan Whickers"!!!!!

I think a thread for women survivalists is a great idea. I'm in a slightly different position in that I have a husband and sons and daughters so we kind of form our own group, but if I was on my own I would be very wary of meeting up with or exchanging details with people you've met in a forum. I think an all female camping trip might attract the odd male stalker (odd being the operative word), so why not try to arrange one where familes would be present, that way you would get a better mix of skills, views and ideas.

When I say a camping trip, I don't think that necessarily has to be a trek into the woods with a plastic sheet and a penknife. It can be used to learn basic skills such as firelighting and cooking on a fire - which many people have no experience of - recognising flora and fauna and learning what is edible, but probably most importantly, exchanging ideas and information.

I have every intention of staying put and trying to stay under the radar if anything bad happens, but as I say, I have quite a large immediate family. If you are on your own I think it would be important to link up with like-minded people.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Mayacara

Wow! thanks I am going to buy some yogurt tonight! although I don't know if I would be able to find a milk cow out in the woods.. :/

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

Yogurt will INCREASE the bacteria already there if applied topically.
Orally only.
Decrease your sugar intake, and eating of fermented foods.
For topical application..2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar mixed with one quart of plain water. Keep the area clean, and stop using scented bubble baths or body washes.
Adding garlic to your diet also decreases the frequency of infections.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
This is an awesome idea, but we're gonna need pictures! Please post pics of this awesome, all girl survival expedition! (I'll send money)

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

Are you not being just a little bit sexist here?
You have a problem with meeting male strangers from the Internet, but you have no problem meeting female strangers? What is that all about?
If you want to go on a survivalist trip, with males or females that are perfect strangers to you, you will always be with a bunch of strangers armed with knives, guns and other essential survival equipment.
So, you have no problem with unknown armed female survivalists?????

I fully agree with you, on the stranger issues, I would never go out into "no mans land, with a bunch of strange people...
Just don't get why you would be comfortable if these people happened to be female.

Since you are in Briton, and in beautiful Oxford, I would suggest you take an official survivalist holiday with many of the official, an recognized, British agencies that organize said holidays. I would like to suggest what I personally think to be the best of them, check it out:

www.raymears.com...

It is the company of Ray Mears, the guy that makes the survival programs for the BBC...
I think this would be the safest way for you to proceed, fully safe, emergency assistance guarantee and the knowledge of some of the best survivalists on the planet...

Stay safe, don't trust your life to strangers and amateurs...

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RubyGloom

oh, ok then, even better. I guess I am packing apple vinegar in my GTFO bag. thanx!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Ask your local game warden. Here in Mississippi, women hunting clubs are being formed with the help of the state's game wardens.

I learned all of my survival skills by buying the books from the 60s and 70s about living off the land and putting what read into practice down in the woods. There was no one I could ask for help and first-hand education. Trial and error a lot. Own just about everything Tom Brown, the Tracker wrote about survival and watch Survivorman and Bear Grylls when they come on TV on the Discovery Channel. Prefer Survivorman though. Bear is more action/adventure and comes across more as a knowledgeable actor. The guys over at YouTube are downright viscious in judging him, too.

Fire making skills and fresh water collecting will be the two main concerns IMHO. Shelter below ground level, on ground level and above ground level and bug/tick deterents will be next. Stealth, hunting, fishing, trapping, snaring come with lots of practice and by observing the animals. If you can't avoid being detected by the animals, you won't live very well. Keep your human scent to 0 as much as possible and this means staying clean or smoking your clothes and self, if you have no water.

Women survivalists are rare and don't normally associate in groups. I know I can't find any serious female survivalists here in Mississippi and I've looked. I'm not talking female deer hunters or fisherwomen, I mean die hard survivalist who can live off the land and do anything else it takes to stay alive and healthy. Good luck in finding them because if I'm reading the stock market trends, this country is free falling into a serious depression and that will either bring out the best in the men folk or the worst. We've all seen the movies that give examples of each when governments fail. Actually, I look forward to the fall because everything I ever learned about survival is going to be tested to the extreme and any weakness I have will be eradicated or I die with it.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by leira7

Apple cider vinegar has a LOT of health benefits. You can use it for upset stomach and heartburn (2 tablespoons fixes you up instantly). I also use it to dab on my dog's paws with a cotton ball to alleviate itching due to fungus and toxins in the grass such as fertilizers.

Another thing is that I recently had an allergic reaction to some food that contained wheat gluten and I had severe skin itching on my arms and legs for 2 weeks. Each night I would dab the vinegar onto my skin with a cotton ball and it completely eliminated the itching for hours.

Do a Google search for 'apple cider vinegar healing' and you'll find lots of great info.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
yes, apple cider works well for cramps. Bugs too.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
You got me, I'm interested. I'm female and I'm very aware that survivalism may be very important in the near future. I live in the middle of NOwhere- so for me, the drill is to go out there alone and face it by myself. From what I can tell, the key is self-suffiency. If I can do it on my own, I'll be okay. If I luck out and have some company? GREAT! Maybe my skills can help another- as long as I know who they are.
All of my life I have been the girl who trusts all. I have always considered it a virtue to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and if I get screwed over? At least I was brave enough to take the chance...and then there is survival...
Do you know who you really are and what you are capable of in the name of survival? If I was on an airplane, and it went down, would I be willing to step on the head of the mother with a toddler in front of me to get to the exit first? That is the question I ask myself. I know my own answer to that- so help me God...do you?

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

I have a young daughter and Ive often though about this subject.

I would imagine a war torn land where currency would take on a whole different meaning. Obviously gold and other tangible items like sugar, cooking oil, and salt would have real value. Women however would probably end up as the most valuable resource.

Women would probably end up as another tradable commodity (no offense) as they have in the past and remain so in current war-torn lands.

The most powerful urge on this planet though is the male sex drive. And therefore the sex industry would dominate as it did 100 years ago.

Some of the people posting here talk of finding small communes to support each other. Personally, I think women in a lawless society should avoid contact with groups whenever possible.

The Old West days here in America is a prime example of how women would be treated in a post-appocolyptic world. Rape was common and rarely prosecuted back then. Arranged marriages happened frequently. Women were sometimes traded for cattle.

Thats not going to happen to my wife or daughter. Personally I wont let a single man anywhere near my family in such an environment.

Im not sure it would be a good idea for single women to form a commune either. This would just make an inviting target for raiders.

I truly fear for single women and young girls in such a world.

My advice would be to befriend a married couple in such an environment. Your less likely to be assaulted and would have the protection of a few friends.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This is why you should give into the system of control for your own good. As long as man is controlled you women need not worry about such things like survival. In this digitized world, trivial information is accumulating every second, preserved in all its triteness. Never fading, always accessible. All this junk data preserved in an unfiltered state, growing at an alarming rate. Freedom will only slow down social progress, reduce the rate of evolution. The digital society furthers human flaws and selectively rewards development of convenient half-truths. Just look at the strange juxtapositions of morality around you.

Billions spent on new weapons in order to humanely murder other humans.

Rights of criminals are given more respect than the privacy of their victims.

Although there are people suffering in poverty, huge donations are made to protect endangered species. Everyone grows up being told the same thing.

Be nice to other people.
But beat out the competition!

"You're special." "Believe in yourself and you will succeed."
But it's obvious from the start that only a few can succeed...

You exercise your right to "freedom" and this is the result. All rhetoric to avoid conflict and protect each other from hurt. The untested truths spun by different interests continue to churn and accumulate in the sandbox of political correctness and value systems.

Everyone withdraws into their own small gated community, afraid of a larger forum. They stay inside their little ponds, leaking whatever "truth" suits them into the growing cesspool of society at large.

.....And this is the way the world ends. Not with a bang, but a whimper. The system exist to stop that from happening. One may ask you think you're qualified to decide what's necessary and not!? Absolutely. Who else could wade through the sea of garbage you people produce, retrieve valuable truths and even interpret their meaning for later generations?

(no need to quote the post above yours
)

Mod Note: Stay on Topic – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It never hurts to know that pine needle tea contains loads of vitamin C and A. You can chew them, too, just don't swallow them. That the pine tree has many uses other than wood. That the candles from pine trees are edible. That the walnut tree has an edible sap that can be boiled into syrup for a high carbohydrate source of energy. That a strong brew of green willow leaves will dry up poison ivy and that roasted pumpkin seeds can eliminate intestinal worms (may cause cramping, if too many seeds are ingested). The Internet is loaded with free survival information. All you have to do is get out and practice it. Tom Brown wrote a series of books about survival and they are small enough to carry in a day pack without taking up too much room. Good illustrations, too.

Survival is learning to accept being cold, hungry, tired, lonely, and pursued by all kinds of predators and not minding it at all because you are free. Survivalists form the deepest of friendships because of the hardness of their lives and the unspoken and deeply felt need they have for each other.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorthWolfe CND
Are you not being just a little bit sexist here?
You have a problem with meeting male strangers from the Internet, but you have no problem meeting female strangers? What is that all about?

Violent sex crimes and serial murder is typically a very sexist hobby. There are very very few known female serial killers that target other women for pleasure (without sick boyfriends encouraging them), the only one that comes to my mind is Elizabeth Bathory and I doubt if she would want to rough it in the woods.

And actually I think if the OP found women in her area that were interested a real life meet could be set up without all that much worry. Just get to know people, talk to them for weeks or months, talk on the PHONE, and set up the initial meeting in a public place.

Most people online are quite nice, and the lone crazy sex offender/killer type could find easier targets that would involve a lot less hassle than a bunch of paranoid survivalist women that want to talk for weeks or months before meeting.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
reply to post by ATS4dummies

Thats the most retarded post I ever seen on ATS period.

women are not capable of survivalist thinking / doing / living ?

Dan Tanna, you are right, if I REALLY said these words:

women are not capable of survivalist thinking / doing / living ?

Than I AM retarded.

However if I did not say those words, then... Who's retarded?
You better read my posts carefully one more time... friend.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by ATS4dummies]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join