It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Survivalists.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Not a good situation if it's a small island.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by Wotan

Not a good situation if it's a small island.

Haha, no problem. Most of them are my family, friends or ex-patients of mine.

I would rather try and stick it out in my own backyard than try it on the mainland where I dont have a clue where I am or are going to. Of course it would depend on what situation X is.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by whitewave as women are not considered much of a threat.

Very true. And if you can't do away with all the males, play them off against eachother. Instead of trying to fight off all of them, if you know you can't win turn on the charm and pick the strongest, or one that is at least pretty darn strong.

If a woman shows favor towards ONE male their natural protective instincts will often kick in. If they think you want and prefer them alone, if they think they can have you to themselves they will often protect you from the sexual advances other males. Men don't like to share their partners if they can avoid it. Its biological. This provides the woman the chance to separate from the group and just deal with one male instead of a gang.

Ahhh... the good old days. primitive times were the best, i would have this big club and bash people with it at random and steal their women and trade them for spice lol. well i think New Orleans came pretty close to being a situation x, but i guess thats the best tactic for most women; fool an alpha male into protecting you; no sweat, no harm; off course you gotta be really pretty for that job. i mean the situation can be bad which might render any woman desirable but IDK too much competition, again women hinder each other in a way.

if i were a survivalist i would act really insane so no one would come near me.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by DuneKnight]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnightoff course you gotta be really pretty for that job. i mean the situation can be bad which might render any woman desirable but IDK too much competition, again women hinder each other in a way.

The standards regarding "pretty" will change really fast. Even the best looking actresses and models look pretty plain without makeup, hair color, high heels and designer clothes. Look at our armed forces, there are far fewer women serving overseas, and they are surely not dolled up, by civilian standards many look like guys with short hair and no makeup. Yet virtually every woman there has her pick among dozens of guys.

Plus if things became tribal multiple wives would come back in fashion if women outnumbered men (even if they didn't). It always makes me laugh when some men predict all the women will be turned into sex slaves, i think they like to imagine THEN they could get a "girlfriend" or six cause they could control those weaker females. In reality if they can't get a female partner now, sit-x would probably make things much worse. The ability to provide food, shelter, and protection for offspring would be huge deciding factors.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

Uhmm, Hurricane Katrina (New Orleans) WAS a Situation X as is the Hurricane that is heading your way now across the Atlantic.

Read up on what a SITUATION X is!

Survivalism in its many names, shapes and forms isnt just only about a holocaust or a WW3.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

In reality if they can't get a female partner now, sit-x would probably make things much worse. The ability to provide food, shelter, and protection for offspring would be huge deciding factors.

this is so true. it all becomes survival of the fittest but right now the rich get many ladies you cant deny that, money is what makes a man nowadays and in many ways money might matter in sit x. one can escape danger by bribing.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight

In reality if they can't get a female partner now, sit-x would probably make things much worse. The ability to provide food, shelter, and protection for offspring would be huge deciding factors.

this is so true. it all becomes survival of the fittest but right now the rich get many ladies you cant deny that, money is what makes a man nowadays and in many ways money might matter in sit x. one can escape danger by bribing.

Well if it is a complete breakdown of society then money is going to buy you Jack S***. The only thing money will be good for is wiping your backside or for lighting a fire.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

history has taught us that money got people by, in new orleans the rich got out of there way before the flood. its a fact of life so see you can go to the woods learn all you want but know that there is a rich guy somewhere planning his next vacation plans.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I thought I'd start a thread for females whom are interested in survivalism.

I'd really like to go on a camping trip or something to learn/try out/test myself on whether i'd actually be able to survive...

We seem to be drifting again.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
what a good thread
being female I too was looking to meet up with like minded people and found this happening going on in the UK at the end of august

I think it would be a good safe place to meet up
and also it will be a place where lots of new skills can be learned

Just a thought and if anyone is interested maybe we can arrange a meeting spot
a time and a day
for us all to meet there

www.wildernessgathering.co.UK...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Its not about "money" its about wealth. Money worked in New Orleans because it still had value and people knew they could use it outside of NO.

If society crumbles money won't have any value, but there will be wealthy people. Wealth will mean having resources, being able to provide food, shelter, protection etc... Brains will still matter, brawn will matter a lot too.

And yes for sure Katrina was sit-x, it represented the complete breakdown of society in the worst possible way and in one of the worst possible places in the U.S.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by xsheep

x-sheep - Yes, I have already clocked that event a few months ago whilst searching for something on the web.

As you have said, that is a perfect safe place to meet like-minded people.

I am trying to persuade the missus to come 'camping' there that weekend.

I just hope there's no tree-hugging chanting hippies there.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Also in the UK here. Good for the OP to learn this stuff... I think it will be incredibly useful. Even if never used in the practical sense it will give a sense of self belief and confidence.

Now here's the thing; I'd love to go one of these female meetings! I'm a bit weedy, gay and want to learn this stuff too but doing it in an all male environmant would just not sit right with me. I would see it as an exercise in machismo and c0ck waving instead of actually learning useful skills.

I wish the OP all the best, and any others.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by randomdan]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Whitewave!!!!

How good to see your post again. It has been awhile since I have seen you on these boards. You have been missed. I was wondering when you would show up ..not if...but when.

However..I do want to thank both you and Sonya610 for confirming my standing thesis about "Male expendability and disposability." Good times and bad.

Also how dumb that certain women think many men actually are. I agree with this.

Makes me chuckle to myself in that post you made to ....I think it was Shazam the Unbowed...let me see if I can find it.!! I busted out laughing when first I read it.

Exactly. Men and women fight differently. Men will beat each other up and then buy each other a beer. Women will make a place in the tomato patch for your biodegrading corpse

However Whitewave..darling..I also noted that you almost went over to the dark side of the "Force " here....or is the dark side..always there ....just underneath a thin veneer of civilization. I shall have to watch you closely Whitewave. LOL LOL LOL!!

By the way...DuneKnight....Whitewave is correct here...as well as Sonya610. A noble macho man is going to be very expendable and disposable. I wouldnt put to much emphasis on your man stuff here in Situation X. The women clearly by what is posted here ...recognize that they can play it two or more ways in Situation X. How many ways will you be able to play it? Subtilty is not usually a mans strong suite. Think hard on this before chest thumping.
Many women view survival and the accompanying thinking ..very differently from men. Do not underestimate them here.
If I may quote Whitewave from a past thread..."Women are always in the survival mode.!! " I agree with her on this.

Chewlip,

Took time after begining my battery charging cycle to go to the store. Purchased some canned goods and two bottles of rubbing alcohol, two bottles of hydrogen peroxide, and a two pack of antibiotic Ointment.
I also made that puruchase of the second Marine deep cycle battery.
It will go on the charger when the current one is finished with its charging cycle.

Oh..one other thing..Chewlip...keep on hand a manually operated can opener..not an electric one. Electric is nice and convenient...but be prepared for the electricity to go out.
I keep an olde army P 38 model can opener with me at all times. Great invention on someones part.

Another thing I purchased some time back was a case of those baby wipes. It is a way of cleanng yourself when the water goes out. Soldiers use them out in the field alot now days. They love them when out in the scrub. Dont know what the shelf life on them is but I reckon I will be finding out.

I always try to keep on hand..especially during Hurricane season...one to two of the Forty packs of AA type batteries. For my radios...portable radios. My variouis flashlights. I always try to keep on my person a four pack of AA batteries for the Mag Lite I am always carrying. If you have children..you must keep them out of this store..it is for emergencys..not MP3 players and other such instant gratification goodies. Same for unthinkng adults too. Keep them out of this supply. Rotate them out if you think they are going bad.
Try to choose flashlights and electronic goodies which have a common battery ..so that you dont have to keep so many varietys on hand..but can select from a common battery supply.

Little things like this...knowlege from others..lots of people out here know lots of little ideas to connect dots and make a whole picture.

Thanks to all for thier posts,
Orangetom

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
With the advent of wind-up and/or solar radios/torches aren't batteries a bit redundant?

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomdan
With the advent of wind-up and/or solar radios/torches aren't batteries a bit redundant?

I have two wind up radios..the wind up feature is good for between 30 minutes to an hour. No problem ...this radio also has a built in light and accomodations for three AA batteries as well as the cordless telephone batterys which can be charged by the wind up. Grundig FR 200 AM/FM and Shortwave.

Nonetheless I still keep a supply of batteries for other equipment.
I also have some of the shake and bake flashlights. Not to impressed with this set up.

I have been doing this for years...when the bad times come ..especially a hurricane ...around here the batteries go quickly..the cuboards are quickly bare...canned goods too. You need to be well established before hand..not just before it is happening.

If this hurricane heads this way..in about 4 days these goods will disappear from the shelves at all the stores.... rapidly. Dont wait till the last minute.

More preparations to make.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 6-7-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomdan
Also in the UK here. Good for the OP to learn this stuff... I think it will be incredibly useful. Even if never used in the practical sense it will give a sense of self belief and confidence.

Now here's the thing; I'd love to go one of these female meetings! I'm a bit weedy, gay and want to learn this stuff too but doing it in an all male environmant would just not sit right with me. I would see it as an exercise in machismo and c0ck waving instead of actually learning useful skills.

I wish the OP all the best, and any others.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by randomdan]

I wouldnt worry about which orientation, sex or gender you are, its the willingness to learn that counts. Yeah sure you may get some macho testosterone filled neanderthal, but thats HIS problem.

I could'nt give a flying fig what you are as long as you are not trying to 'kick my head in'.

As a few of the other guys on here could testify that are/were ''Male Nurses'' like myself, we sometimes never had it easy and at first had some 'funny looks' or comments .... still do on occassion.

If your heart/head is telling you to do this, then dont let being gay stop you from doing it. If you were in my neck of the woods, I wouldnt think twice in helping you or teaching you. Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.

regards
Wotan

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

Good luck to you. I hope everything goes alright for you and your family. You sound like you are well prepared. Let us know how things go.

The downer for me in a Hurricane would be when the bloody internet gets cut off, I would be well pissed off.

regards
Wotan

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight
reply to post by Sonya610

i have seen the show ultimate survivor or something like that cant remember, its on discovery anyway. but i got too disgusted because the guy ends up eating animal sh*t and squeezing it for yellowish fluids. of course he gets paid. I wonder who will pay you.

The cold fact when thinking survival is there may come a point in time you will have to do this. This brings up a good point. Often in survival situations you may need to consume things you wouldn't normally think of so prepare yourself for this. As a boy scout we did a survival trip with two marines, during this 3 week trip I ate earthworms (disgusting but somewhat flavorful if dried) I ate crayfish, (not too bad) found some of what we call sucker fish here in the south (carp basically) and consumed a few robin and crow. When out in the wild you will use 50% more energy than normal on average so you will need to put protein in your diet. Roots and plants alone simply will not so it for you so prepare to eat some weird stuff to stay alive.. At night you will burn more calories if its a cold environment so consider that as well.

@ Chewlip I would start out learning about gardening since things wont be real bad at first then if the world goes to %hit, move on to learning edible wild plants and during this time try to pick up on trapping, hunting and fishing. After things get really rough the hunting, trapping and knowing the edibles in the wild will pay off big.

Take some time right now to start thinking of everything you may possibly need for survival, tools, medical supplies, drinking water etc. Make yourself a list and post it here and everyone can go over it, add if needed and help suggest what is good or what is bad.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by orangetom1999

Greetings, O.T. As usual, you give sound advise and demonstrate that you walk the walk. Chewlip, as well as many others, could benefit from people such as yourself taking the time to teach survival skills. It's a shame that there are so many willing to learn but few opportunities or teachers.
I checked out the cost of one of those week long survival schools (camp) for my young son. I decided that if I was going to shell out enough money in one week to pay for a European vacation, then I was going to take a European vacation and not spend a week in the wilderness making in the bushes and eating grub worms. There'll be plenty of time for that soon enough.

No, I haven't crossed over to the dark side. It's just that when one is facing a kill or be killed situation, it helps to utilize the entire skill set. I'm actually quite docile. I just don't like being bullied, terrorized, threatened, manhandled or treated like a disposable object. Sun Tzu extolled the virtues of "doing the unexpected". It's quite unexpected for a docile female to turn Rambo so I've added it to my "tool set".

It sounds like Chewlip has a "training" introduction to survival skills coming up in August. I hope she is able/willing to soak up every drop of information as there may come a time when she is the most knowledgable/skilled one in her group.

Be safe out there. Baton down the hatches. Hope you have an inflatable raft and a wet suit.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join