It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Female Survivalists.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by DuneKnight

Yeah yeah, women are weak, and require men to defend them blah blah. Grow up.

For the record I was an archaeologist, which requires a lot of physical work (it also means I am aware of the tools and ways people have survived for thousands of years.) Yes, I hurt my back, I had 2 slipped discs, which required major surgery. Therefore, this must mean I'm a weak and feeble woman. Untill you realise that men that I've worked with also had the same problems, mostly with thair backs and knees. It's not a matter of women and men.

I could write a whole dissertation for you on feminism, and machismo, but I'm simply not going to. If you want to believe that women are feeble creatures, then go ahead, but kindly keep it to yourself or start your own thread.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by Anuubis
This started out as a good thread but turned to sh!t fast!

Seriously it was pretty obvious this was going to happen. The only way to have avoided this natural turn of topic would have been for the op to have sternly stated what she did and did NOT want to hear in the original post (and even that would have only partly effective).

Actually I think it makes the thread more interesting to share ideas. The op has received many good ideas about survival schools and other things, so the thread served its purpose. I would like to see it keep going even if it does discuss general gender differences and survival issues.

And to be honest any woman that wants to survive sit-x, especially on her own, had best understand what she will face. Males, sexism, dangers, etc...with be a very big part of surviving. Some of the women have pretty clearly stated they have no clue how to deal with rogue males now, what on earth would they do when society fell apart?

[edit on 6-7-2008 by Sonya610]

Yeah i guess i do have to agree with you on that.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Chewlip,

I have been quietly watching this thread for a few days and hesitating to post but decided to do so today.

Go ahead and make your inquiries into that for which you are intrested.
Do not let others discourage you for your intrests. Learning never quits till we take our last breath.

While I agree with some of the concerns of the males ..and also the females...it is not an excuse to justify not learning..male or female.

Do not let the naysayers here discourage you ..in anything...period.

Stiffen up your back and walk straight...dont let them turn you around.

I dont fault you one bit for your intrest in survival thinking and skills.

You may or may not have a good man or men around you in the aforementioned situation X. It never hurts to know what to do with or without a man. SAme for a man without a woman.

I just checked the weather report here on the Eastern Coast of the USA. Initial forecasts are for Hurricane Bertha to possibly hit the Eastern Seabord..in about 5 or more days.

Later today I will be going out to my garage and checking out the status of both my generators..fuel supplies, including fuel for my Coleman Lanterns and cook stoves...also my extra car batteries and one deepcycle marine battery. I have been thinking about purchasing a second marine battery.
The drill here is to begin checking out the water levels and begin charging them over the next few days..just in case.

I used them in a previous Hurricane to power my two way radio set up ..along with a homemade emergency antenna. I knew what was happening around town..what stores were opening..gas stations selling gasoline..without having to run about town using up precious recources.

The last hurricane, though not a bad one like others of recent, was a textbook example of how some people can get ready for tonights football game or some program on the television but not prepare for hard and difficult times.

There are a host of little things you can do like this to make life more comfortable and lessen worry and concern. To not yourself ..have to become like a bunch of Wildlife to survive.

Nonetheless Chewlip...I encourage you to learn...and keep learning ..bit by bit by little bit. You can prepare yourself. The learning never stops.

I began with an oil lamp purchased at a local yard sale..and also a ten pack of disposable lighters..as these lighters have no shelf life.
Lots of people here have experience and good ideas ..up to you to put them to use or discard them as not worth your time. Your requirements in the UK most likely will be different from here Stateside..but that is your challange to overcome and adapt.

dont let others discourage you.

One more thing...this is a link to a previoius post began by someone some time ago. It is titled Womens Survival.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ideas along this topic line were begun some years ago..on ATS..but it is good to see it continuing. I commend you for your concerns. Keep up the good work and dont let others discourage you. If it is a topic in which you are intrested..go for it.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 6-7-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnight
why all the hate? we are bouncing ideas off each other thats all. give it a rest bushweeds. all im saying lets not make false beliefs and lead women into thinking that they are capable of handling things that are obviously a long shot for them to achieve. im not saying all women are weak, thats far from it. i for instance aint a survivalist and in the woods alone i would die hungry, its a fact im willing to live with considering my circumstances as an urban citizen. but surely if women put their mind to it they might accomplish that however it would take twice the effort than men.

[edit on 6-7-2008 by DuneKnight]

Exactly what we were asking you not to do. Chewlip you will get some support and maybe even some ideas here but if you really want this effort to be a success I think you will need to move away to a forum where there arent so many egos. Dont let anyone fool you, there are women who are capable of doing this as good if not better than a man, there are some that arent. Just as the last poster said, he is one of the men who will fail so as you see not even the males are guaranteed to have success. Success is not up to what gender you are it is determined by your desire to move forward, learn and condition yourself.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Ok Folks, Let's keep it on topic, please.

Some good info and points of view, but let's not get too far afield.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Lets do this, as orangetom1999 stated in his post go ahead and ask your questions. Ignore the gender bashing posts, if we answer them we are only fueling them so lets simply ignore them and focus on Chewlip's questions.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
sure it doesn't hurt to learn some skills, it never does, thing is don't become an solitary isolationist type when facing danger. and for that matter dont walk into danger thinking you are up for it without a reason, i personally dont know why people risk their lives for such cheap thrills. example: rollercoaster, that thing is insane, whoever made it up clearly was meant as a joke.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~MaSoN~
Lets do this, as orangetom1999 stated in his post go ahead and ask your questions. Ignore the gender bashing posts, if we answer them we are only fueling them so lets simply ignore them and focus on Chewlip's questions.

Exactly!

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

read a book, educate yourself do that type of thing thats what we need women for but grabbing weapons and building camp fire or something is not useful.

I don't know which part of this, I should be offended by. Is it because you've already determined that the only thing I'll be useful for, is reading a book and educating myself? I'm sorry, but don't pretend you know me or any other person on this thread.

you are preparing urself for something that might not even happen, probably wont.

Do you drive around with a Spare tire in the back of your car? Most people do - it's called "WHAT IF". Being prepared for something that never comes is better than not being prepared when it finally does come.

plus women can never fend for themselves anyway so one way or another a man would be vital. woman's body is too fragile to sustain nature's challenges because men and women are built differently so clearly they are highly unequal in strength.

Women NEVER fend for themselves? Words like NEVER and ALWAYS weaken your argument...especially if you don't have facts.

Some of us were RAISED to fend for ourselves. Some of us are pretty darn good with a rifle or a handgun, some of us, can cook, clean, start a fire, AND..think. Some of us are more useful than just being able to sweep the dirt floor and keep the human race going.

- Carrot

[edit on 7/6/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

you are right, i am generalizing. you know why? because these qualities i detailed are of the majority not you. majority matters.

plus i basically said what you guys are saying all along albeit in a different aggressive tone. I agree alot with you, just minor flaws in ur arguments compel me to share my views thats all.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

you are right, i am generalizing. you know why? because these qualities i detailed are of the majority not you. majority matters.

plus i basically said what you guys are saying all along albeit in a different aggressive tone. I agree alot with you, just minor flaws in ur arguments compel me to share my views thats all.

This is a discussion we should have throgh U2U not on this thread. As there are some flaws in YOUR argument also my dear.

Chewlip - if you're ever in Canada, let me know - we'll go out camping.

- Carrot

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
A couple of good videos the op may be interested in (forgive me if you have already seen these). First is Alone in the Wilderness. Its about this 50 year old guy, Richard Proenneke, who moves to the wilds of Alaska and builds a log cabin from scratch etc… He made home movies of his first couple of years out there. Amazing stuff. PBS shows the series sometimes. Takes a lot of knowledge and strength to build ones own log cabin.

outdoors-magazine.com...

Another true story is Into the Wild, about a young guy that hitchhikes across country and often lives off the land. The film has lots of great scenery, but a pretty slow plot. He heads to Alaska with a rifle and plans to live off the land there too. He ends up starving to death while living in an old abandoned school bus. He eats the wrong plant and things go downhill from there.

en.wikipedia.org...(film)

(If everyone on the survival boards has seen these, sorry for posting them but i found them pretty interesting).

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

i have seen the show ultimate survivor or something like that cant remember, its on discovery anyway. but i got too disgusted because the guy ends up eating animal sh*t and squeezing it for yellowish fluids. of course he gets paid. I wonder who will pay you.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by DuneKnightI wonder who will pay you.

Hey, I wasn't bashing you. I actually thought your behavior was far less annoying than usual in this thread.

And in fact I, like you, realize that I wouldn't have a shot at surviving in the woods. I mean for the single people with no obligations it is easy to think they can just head off and try to fend for themselves. But in real life it is not that easy for many of us, what if you have a grandma in a wheelchair? Or a diabetic cat? Or other fragile dependents that would surely die if you left them because they could not keep up?

Evacuating during sit-x, and leaving an urban area to fend for oneself in the woods would only be realistic for some people. Others would not even consider it.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Chewlip

One suggestion i'd like to make is either get off the island or plan a way off when TSHTF. It's a small island with a lot of people.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Haha, I am on an even smaller Island. I intend to stay where I am for the near future.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

What's the population though?

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I love these female survivalist threads. They have real entertainment value. Some are even educational and enlightening.

OP, being female in a survival situation in not necessarily a handicap. If some rogue band of marauding bad guys (and it will probably be mostly guys) comes into your little campsite group, your man, your protector, your big hulking macho survivalist will probably be the first one shot as women are not considered much of a threat. That gives you time to draw, aim and rapid fire several of them, reducing the number whose butts you have to kick.

Survive on, sister.

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Approximately 140,000. This obviously increases during the tourist season.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by whitewave as women are not considered much of a threat.

Very true. And if you can't do away with all the males, play them off against eachother. Instead of trying to fight off all of them, if you know you can't win turn on the charm and pick the strongest, or one that is at least pretty darn strong.

If a woman shows favor towards ONE male their natural protective instincts will often kick in. If they think you want and prefer them alone, if they think they can have you to themselves they will often protect you from the sexual advances other males. Men don't like to share their partners if they can avoid it. Its biological. This provides the woman the chance to separate from the group and just deal with one male instead of a gang.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join