It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 109
<< 106  107  108    110  111  112 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Thank you for your kind words my friend, and thanks for alerting me of this. That is what the badges were all about, showing the more contributing and harder working members.

Members spend HOURS and hours of time posting and researching, the posters give freely,

FREEE!!

Is a little payback sucha bad thing?

The members "are" the forum.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn

Just chiming in to make sure that everyone knows...

All of the points, flags, stars, applause, post count info etc...

Are still available in each member's public profile.

Carry on

True. But. As I said earlier - we've had over 10,000 posts a day here - way to many to scan. I DO scan - but I need help to ID good work - or I just feel like I'm wasting too much of my time.

The flags, stars and applauses are a way we help each other. It's like a crit, with a focus on the positive, albeit populist....

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I scan too but I aint worried about the point thingee.. I am sure in due time they will put it back up and even if The big kahunas do not put it back up well then that is their choice and I shall still stick around till this site dies or I find on better..

As I said before though.. What is up with all the noobs posting in the introduction section and why aren't we all asking more of all of ourselves in terms of poster quality... egads...The other day someone was posting about the end of money in medical conspriacies I think.. anyways when I tried to help the noob out he condemed me for being facist..

ME a freaking unilateral government hating freethinking anarchist.. Oh well been called a terrorist too in my day... Point being I liked public points too but the powers the be will do what powers do...

Stop posting threads in the introduction section unless your introducing yourself noobs. Ok I have vented

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Heck at least bring back the old mystery bar,lol. I and others I think prefer the tags though.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Just for the record I like the points displayed and I liked the 250 club because we all could be members, but just how many could be in the cosmic club only a select few.

Not that recognizing ones accomplishment are wrong, but it just was not attainable for most members, and is not fair.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I mentioned this in one of the other posts about the "disappearing" points and tags/labels.

Why not have an option, like the "go light/dark" button in the top left corner that a person could click on if they preferred to either see points/badges/labels publicly on every post or not.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Thats a great idea, hopefully it will get taken into consideration.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole
I mentioned this in one of the other posts about the "disappearing" points and tags/labels.

Why not have an option, like the "go light/dark" button in the top left corner that a person could click on if they preferred to either see points/badges/labels publicly on every post or not.

Hehe! this was a really smart idea!

Great thinking!
I give an invisible star for that!

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
OK, they got removed. Why? I don't know. Was it because of what some are calling "whiners"? Could it be a bandwidth thing? I noticed that the panels are a lot smaller now. Secondly, is it perm.? Let's just chill until S.O. comes up with an announcement.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I agree it is prolly best to chill out right now, but I think if it is due to complaints and we do not hear anything then it should be taken to a vote. Or at least considered by the Amigos.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I already closed a polling thread earlier. If there is a need for a vote or a poll Admin will take care of it.

In the meantime just relax.

Sheesh! 26 pages of complaining and whining when this was introduced (not to mention the issues thread) and how many now that it may be gone? :shk:

Oh and it seems I'm some kind of clairvoyant:

Posted two weeks ago:

I'm making a prediction here.

Admin will end up taking this away from us because we're not mature enough to handle it.

Titor was a punk.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I said it in the other thread now im going to say it in this one aswell bahaha.

Glad i dont see the point's.

To measure a person's contribution in point's is egotistical.

If they come back or stay away make's little difference. But i for one wont miss them.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Perhaps the removal of points and recognitions which draw attention is not a bad thing, since many on here are actively engaged in accusing people in positions of power and unseen dark forces, shrouded in secrecy, of nefarious things like world domination and the destruction of our respective homelands.

Keep a low profile and carry a big stick.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by In nothing we trust]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
When and why did the point thing become such a huge issue? When I joined the points and bars were already here (Dec.2007) and no one was complaining then. From what I see it started when the "250 members" thing was started. If the bars were not an issue why was the badges? No one makes issues out of the FSME, CM,Tinwiki, Archive, etc badges. I have said it before and I will say it one more time.

Even though I am strongly in favor of the badge system if it will continue to cause this type of disruption in the board then I think it is best to just forget about it, as sad is it is to say.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well I'm a bit disappointed. When I first joined up I looked forward to accumulating points and a small status symbol, Call me what you will. It gave me a goal to work for. Writing better posts and trying to be a quality poster and such.

I know all the points and stars etc are still there but I felt it was a badge of honor to display what my fellow members thought of or felt about me.

In the end what ever decision they come up with wont prevent me from continuing my strive to be a good community member. They cant take away my foil hat.

I earned it

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think its a good move, people where just starting bogus threads and multi-accounting it up to boost themselves with stars and flags.

The community in each forum knows who contributes the most and those people are respected by the community that should be reward enough in an environment like this in my opinion.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I just want to thank the management for taking the complaints into consideration. I appreciate that the rating system is gone for the time being. I think we all can get along better without the intimidation, status, classification,and separation. And people who are new may have just as much to add to a thread as a long time contributor. I feel it is the right thing to do.

link   

Originally posted by gYvMessanger
I think its a good move, people where just starting bogus threads and multi-accounting it up to boost themselves with stars and flags.

The community in each forum knows who contributes the most and those people are respected by the community that should be reward enough in an environment like this in my opinion.

I agree with the bogus thread part. I think the badge system should be retained but some type of "standard for threads" set. So someone can't create a thread like "Bilderberg, Jesus, and The Greys are coming in their interdimensional star destroyer on October 1st!!!!!!MUST SEE"

I mean things like that are ridiculous but tend to (recently) get 1000 flags and stars, while the other, REAL threads with plenty of research and well put forth might get 30, even though a lot of the 'real' ones get applauses behind the scenes the pint is to get the information out and a thread gets lost if it doesn't have 1000000000 flags and stars.

link   
I agree with the posters who have been saying, put it to a member poll. And that was something I suggested as well when the 250/250/250 was first being debated.

My own motivation to keep posting is All But Shot, either way, but I will still probably be lurking and reading ATS for a long time to come, and I still want to see a good system in place that honors the contributions of the members, motivates people to work hard for the site, and benefits ATS as well

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
TOKEN ECONOMY

Honestly, I'm just here for the quality of the posts and the information I can glean from them.

A token economy (such as the dominant social system we operate in offline) here at ATS does kind of defeat what I percieve is the underlying purpose of the whole site.

Shouldn't the ideas, discussion and information ATS affords us be the highest motivation and reward?

Recognition is nice...but Keeping Up with the Joneses isn't.

top topics

<< 106  107  108    110  111  112 >>

join