It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 107
<< 104  105  106    108  109  110 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Hello to all who read this.

I don't expect nor desire a reply to this mention by me, but since the whole "reward" system has been in place ATS just isn't the same to me.

Trust me when I say that it isn't that I am not happy with my "rank" because that isn't the jest of it, but the entire "feel" of the site is different.

We were always about user content and users were, (I thought) created equal. This is no longer the case. It seems more like a hierarchy now.

I don't simply read posts and see my fellow members as part of the community and on equal footing but instead there is judgment expressed by both members and staff of the "quality" of the individual and his/her relevance of the site.

What do I hope to come from this heart felt outpouring? Not a dang thing, but as a fairly long time *devoted* member, I just want anyone who is interested to know...................As far as I am concerned this change will not encourage me, but instead I am deterred.

Sure, I am just one member who may not come around as much or post as much but on the other hand I think in many ways I represent the average citizen here. Not too smart, not too dumb. If I am effected chances are so are many others. I am not trying to and will not make a big issue as did a member or two, just letting it be known that In My Humble Opinion this will hurt rather than help our community.............

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

I think they are a decent novelty and once the novelty is out it has been business as usual for me.

I think that there are many ways to look at it. When I first started, I searched for the red applaud bars (remember those? They were a status symbol as well and denoted number of applauses) to 'civilly' argue with them so that I could 'represent' the low applause posters (I still have a very low amount) and make such distinctions a moot point for me.

Seriously, I think an attention to any one part of ATS will invariably effect how you percieve the whole of ATS and aside from a more visible status symbol, I think that most don't view members as their 'status' will imply...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Memoryshock,

Ya know I luv ya!

Thanks for responding, perhaps you are right.

I wish my concern was just that I am not at the top of the bar, but honestly it has nothing to do with that, I just am ..................I can't really explain the change I feel.

I will stop while I am ahead before I say something stupid.

It just seems like a field to bring up to a higher level people who "play the game" versus those who "speak from the heart or for real" does that make any sense?

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways
It just seems like a field to bring up to a higher level people who "play the game" versus those who "speak from the heart or for real" does that make any sense?

I certainly understand that point and I think that there has always been that type of difference amongst the posters here. There are people who post for a variety of reasons regardless of the avatars and the novelties...

I would just focus on the words of the posters and respond to each in kind...

And you knows I luvz ya too, IA...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by MemoryShock

I would just focus on the words of the posters and respond to each in kind...

Words of wisdom.

I will find my center again and continue as I always have, with or without favor!

I do appreciate the perspective!

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I've kind of stopped noticing them, to be honest.

I don't know if that helps at all but I was really uncomfortable with them in the beginning, but now it's not even an issue. I used to sometimes look at the bars, now I sometimes look at the labels.

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I used to sometimes look at the bars, now I sometimes look at the labels.

How very aware of you...

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I get it, thanks..............

I had never looked at the bars, really...............

But it is hard to miss the new in your face tags.........

Just bringing it up and getting some feedback is worth alot.

Thanks, Ravenshadow and Memoryshock

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I still feel like that a lot of members that were around for a long time but didn't create threads but just responded to what other had started; got a very raw deal. And there does seem to be a "new style" hierarchy in my opinion. I do see the new status bars but I can play the game and start threads as perhaps I was supposed to earlier, but It seems naive to think that someone with the designation of Cosmic, Platinum, Golden will be given the same attention as an Apprentice or Solid regardless of the quality of the post. I have seen many stars/flags awarded those higher in the pecking order simply because of their status. It's only human nature to suck up to those in a position of authority.

Anyone that's been in the Military knows the Value of "Stars and Bars" for preferential treatment, why should it be any different here?

[edit on 30-5-2009 by whaaa]

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
It's only human nature to suck up to those in a position of authority.

Bingo!

Second line BINGO.........Sad but true~~~

It would be a perfect world if we didn't have to work around these realities, but just the awareness that we do.............And CAN~ Is in and of itself rewarding.

The freedom lies in the Awareness..........

posted on May, 30 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
It's only human nature to suck up to those in a position of authority.

That's where you're wrong !!

That's only chimpanzee nature, dude !!

Congratulations ! You've made it !!!

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by visible_villain
Congratulations ! You've made it !!!

I would venture a guess that there are sock puppets that have a higher place in the hierarchy than actual members.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   

We were always about user content and users were, (I thought) created equal. This is no longer the case. It seems more like a hierarchy now.

I don't simply read posts and see my fellow members as part of the community and on equal footing but instead there is judgment expressed by both members and staff of the "quality" of the individual and his/her relevance of the site.

I agree with you. When this new system was created, I really, really disliked it. But I understood the good intentions behind it, and I told myself I would get used to it. To be honest, I haven't. I still really, REALLY dislike these ranks and titles and labels.

ATS does not feel like a community anymore, it feels like one big contest. I did not come to ATS to compete with anyone. I did not come here to win medals. But the "ranks" in my miniprofile makes me feel like I am constantly being evaluated, judged and labeled in public. I do NOT like being labeled this way, I do not like being placed in a box. I do NOT like the idea that suddenly I am more or less worth than others.

And yes, that IS how many people think when they see titles. An impressive title must mean that the person is somehow better and smarter and knows a lot more than someone with a less impressive title. This may be a virtual community, but there are real life people behind the avatars, and they bring their real life way of thinking with them in here.

I also fear that this ranking system will be intimidating and discouraging to many new members when they see what is needed to gain the different titles. (Titles that may be necessary to be taken seriously around here..?) Some, who otherwise could have made great contributions, may just give up participating at all. And the most "ambitious" among them may even start troll threads just to collect flags and stars, and that will certainly not help the quality of content around here. I fear that this new system will INCREASE ignorance, not deny it.

I am sorry if I seem ungrateful. I am sorry that I whine and complain about this. For the most part, ATS has been a great place to be for me. I have learned so much here, and I have tried to contribute as best I can within my limitations. But I just had to get this off my chest. I don't like this new, strange contest at all. I am not getting used to it.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Understand what you mean about the sense or perception of a "competition". It doesn't change for me the manner in which I interact at ATS. Of course, I am the champion of boring threads
I tend toward things I think are informative, leaning into the survival direction.

Don't miss my upcoming thriller about how to make coconut oil. It's certain to be a real page-turner [insert yawning smiley]

I guess the bottom line for me is that I'm not terribly concerned about how my screen entity here is perceived. I enjoy people, enjoy conspiracy and off-the-beaten-path discussions. I see people who joined ATS the same time as I did, and they really WORKED, and presented quality threads, and they received proper recongition for it. I think the new system works.

I agree that a possible by-product of the new system might be an increase in sensationalized threads, however it's not like there was a complete lack of them before the new way.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I have to agree that the ranking systems, to me, seems to allow people to judge the worthiness of posts to even be read at times. I know I am guilty of scrolling very fast pass lower ranking posts (even though I am a low rank, lol).

What I have noticed is people with a lower ranking, posting like crazy, (with short posts with no real quality a lot of the time), as I think they think that bronze will be easier to obtain through posts, than obtaining 300 flags, 300 stars. This takes away from those whom give very few posts, with the quality. I may be wrong.

I guess it is that human nature thing, that we tend to see the juicy stuff must be with the higher ranks, and that their opinion must be right.

I know that ATS really does care about its community, but I do see less quality on ATS posts of late.

I guess what I am trying to say is that this community at ATS has become less about quality, and has a real feel of competition of late. I believe people even try to argue, to get more posts.

Just my 2 cents.

[edit on 31-5-2009 by DarksDeception]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
The status displays have been removed.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Whelp looks like once again the whiners ruined it for us all.

:shk:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

I don't think it's strictly to pacify the complainers. I think the new features caused a shift in focus for many posters. I believe some people began posting, starring and flagging simply to achieve the next level of status where before the changes the posts were simply created to bring information and ideas forward and foster debate on the topics.

If SO suddenly saw stats jumping and it looked as if it was simply for stats don't you thin the prudent thing to do would be to try and curb the trend?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Whelp looks like once again the whiners ruined it for us all.

:shk:

I am sorry you feel that way.

My intention wasn't to ruin anything for anybody. What exactly was ruined?

I am sure SO has reasons beyond the few posts on this page for making his decision.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I don't know, it was something to strive for. Something to try to achieve. Is that bad?

I understand how it may have caused an unfortunate trend, but I am sure the trend would even out in the long term.

Oh well. I thought it was a nice idea.

top topics

<< 104  105  106    108  109  110 >>

join