It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 112
<< 109  110  111    113  114  115 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dave Rabbit
Dave's Personal Opinion

Well..... another insightful idea goes down in flames..... a shame really. Considering that ATS cost absolutely ZERO to view or to join, one would think that adding a bit of flair here and there would be appreciated. Guess not.

Hey, I have an idea..... let's get rid of Avatars, U2U's, the Media Center, Podcasts and make it like the boring hundreds of other sites.

Come on folks... I mean really......

End Dave Personal Opinion

Blah blah blah whine whine whine.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Hi Springer,

Well based on your comments, it seems like you think the badge system was a good idea - as do I.

So why did it get canned?

Or is this just temporary and the staff are planning on bringing them back....?

This is very, very confusing.......

- Major

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
the badges are gone?

its hard being in OZ and waking up to change
ho hum

can someone point me to the thread or post on this?

cheers zazz

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
It did not mean the member is a prescient genius of insider knowledge or any "better" than anyone else, it meant they contributed a solid stream of content that is decent enough to get the required recognition and they were civil enough/abide the rules enough to hang around long enough to do so and not get banned.

Anyone who places more than that on it is simply embracing ignorance or green with envy. (it's pretty clear who is who, IMHO)

Then why remove it? Why not keep it and deny ignorance as well as spiting the so-called envious?

I didn't threaten to leave when the badge system was put in place, though I spoke against it because I don't then and don't now believe it fosters the sense of community ATS seems to espouse. My opinion.

I don't remember anyone else who opposed "threatening" to leave either, but maybe I'm wrong on that point?

On the other hand, I noticed members saying they would leave with the system removed, whining about the "whiners", inferring to everyone who agreed with them is "everyone losing" with the system removed, hyperbole about the removal of all ATS perks, etc.

I also don't think that all contributions on ATS, or contributors have the same value.

Edited to add: I'll do what I've always done and determine that by their contributions rather than rank. If that makes me worthy of the derision and disdain some have expressed, than at least I'll know the company I keep.

[edit on 31/5/09 by TravelerintheDark]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Originally posted by Springer

To the rest who have been complaining about the badges...

[blunt Springer]
This whole exercise has been a very revealing example of just how insecure, petty, utterly confused and/or downright jealous humanity can be...
Why assume that is the basis of our argument? If you kept the badges most of us would continue to post here. It is not about being insecure, petty, confused or jealous. It is about not wanting labels. Blaring labels. Being judged by mod applause or thread count. We as members can figure out what posts deserve stars and what threads deserve flags. We don't need your labels to determine which posts to read. We don't need point totals either to determine whose posts deserve to be read.
Was ATS wanting more threads? Because that is likely what you will get. Did you want your mods to be more motivated to post applause? What exactly was the thank you supposed to achieve? You could do that with a mass u2u.
I believe status is a prime motivator.. seems a lot like a conspiracy to me.
Thank yous are always nice.

To think everyone here is equal in the contribution department is simply ridiculous IMHO...
Not equal in contribution, but equal as a member of this forum. Few seem to be able to grasp that concept.

Anyone who places more than that on it is simply embracing ignorance or green with envy. (it's pretty clear who is who, IMHO)
Is it truly ignorance to wish for democracy and equality? Probably. But envy is not the point. Not wanting to be labeled by others is the point.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Mah, i dont care what you guys do.
Makes no difference to me

I get the reasons for doing it, its a 'loyalty programme' i dont care if Im a bronze, silver. platinum frequent flyer status (all loyalty programmes are reward for both loyalty and emotional status)....so long as I get to fly with all my ATS crew, dont care if im chatiing with those up the front of the cabin in first class, or my peeps in cattle

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Not equal in contribution, but equal as a member of this forum. Few seem to be able to grasp that concept.

Then why can't certain members who contribute more get recognized publically? Your entire argument is invalid because you seem to understand that some contribute much more than others but yet you think that the tags(which show that) show some kind of "I am better than you" type thing. They are simply recognition, nothing more. Every member is equally welcome, I don't think you quite grasp the situation. What "special elite status" did any of the high tagged members get??? Can you name ONE THING?? The no-ads? Anyone that contributes solid or more got that, and it should be like that, if you don't add at least that much then why should you get special perks of a FREE SITE?!?! I was a gold member and other than no ads I got nothing special except a nice "pat on the back" and you took that away from not only me but others who the majority of SPEND HOURS researching and creating these very topics you like so much. Some are here to PUSH the very creed of this site, while others are here just to passively watch and learn(nothing wrong with that), and others I am afraid apparently are here to bicker and troll.~Justin

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
OK so it sounds like the system is just being tweaked and the badges will hopefully come back. Great!

I personally thought it was a great new system. There were one or two aspects that were maybe a bit much - like "Godlike Wisdom" LOL - but overall, a fantastic idea!

I imagine this site can be pretty intimidating to new people, so giving them a nice goal to strive toward was absolutely the right idea IMHO

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I do have one question about the badges. What were the labels, "This one is aware." about?

What is it that I am not aware of?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

I doubt they will be coming back in the same form. Who knows what great idea SO and the staff will come up with next only to be shot down by like 2% of the members whining about "democracy and fair treatment", well I guess what they are all whining about is mute because obviously ATS does care about ALL, even if they are the minority.

link   
reply to post by In nothing we trust

For the number of applauses that member had received.

link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I totally complained for the first like, 36 hours. And then I was done and now I miss it.

So like... they should have just kept it. But if not let's go back to bars. We need something.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Applause count...

20-40: This one is aware

40-60: This is a critical mind

60-80: We have a deep thinker

80-100: A fine conspiracist

100-150: Simply stunning insight

150+ : Godlike wisdom

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
How about this compromise:

Each member has the option to BUY their badge with their ATS points.

Displaying is optional.

Badges adhere to similar bronze, silver, gold scheme.

Have only which badges you're eligable for up for purchase depending on the previous system criteria.

That way it's voluntary, and those who aren't concerned with it can ignore the feature and those who ARE can proudly display their flair and those who "want one too" can get their butts to work earning the right to them.

[edit on 5/31/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Honestly I am getting sick of the whining, I mean WTF is the big deal really? I think it is more important to show respect and thanks for the contributing members then to not show anything at all. I too feel naked without them,lol.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08

Applause count...

20-40: This one is aware

40-60: This is a critical mind

60-80: We have a deep thinker

80-100: A fine conspiracist

100-150: Simply stunning insight

150+ : Godlike wisdom

Based upon who's opinion?

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GENERAL EYES

I disagree.....Why would members who already work hard to contribute have to by their own thank you?!! I say bring them back and disregard the small minority, or take a vote! All the complaining members wanted Democracy, well let us make it so.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jkrog08
reply to post by seagrass

Then why can't certain members who contribute more get recognized publically? Your entire argument is invalid because you seem to understand that some contribute much more than others but yet you think that the tags(which show that) show some kind of "I am better than you" type thing. They are simply recognition, nothing more. Every member is equally welcome, I don't think you quite grasp the situation. What "special elite status" did any of the high tagged members get??? Can you name ONE THING?? The no-ads? Anyone that contributes solid or more got that, and it should be like that, if you don't add at least that much then why should you get special perks of a FREE SITE?!?! I was a gold member and other than no ads I got nothing special except a nice "pat on the back" and you took that away from not only me but others who the majority of SPEND HOURS researching and creating these very topics you like so much. Some are here to PUSH the very creed of this site, while others are here just to passively watch and learn(nothing wrong with that), and others I am afraid apparently are here to bicker and troll.~Justin
well if you are posting because of what you will "GET" then the system should be replaced. I personally don't want to be tagged. It's up to management really, this is just a place to express your views on the topic. Whether it appears reasonable or trollish is up to the reader.

posted on May, 31 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Based upon the staff and FSMEs opinion when they give you applause for your threads or posts. Some are more liberal than others, but trust me, they are not given out freely. LOL, why do I feel like a mod all the sudden.

new topics

top topics

<< 109  110  111    113  114  115 >>

join